Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ROTY (merge)

mjsimans

I'll give credit to Luck for the game winning drives, but the passing yardage record, eh...How many times did he throw the ball this year?

627? You should be able to throw for 4000+ yards. In today's NFL, passing yardage is the most overrated stat in football because the NFL has basically legislated pass defense out of the football.

No rookie had as much hype as RG3 has had this year and no one has done more to live up to the expectations than RG3.

On the bench injured in the biggest game if the year

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone say that the Redskins were 9-7.  They were 10 and 6.  RG3 was 9-6 as a starter.

Rg3 was the reason the Redskins were winning early in the year.  Morris didnt hit his stride until the second half of the season.  The Colts runnign game was middle of the pack.  It was bad by any means.  YOu guys just wanted to pass the ball all over the field

RG3 is the best rookie on the team.  Lets not get silly.  It's a hell of a lot tougher playing QB than it is playing RB.  Morris is a beast, but Shanahan has a track record for taking people off the street and turning them into 1400 yard backs. 

Wanted????  More like had to.  How many Colts games did you watch entirely this season?  How poor of an O-line did you see?  An O-line that had trouble opening up holes for the run game and couldn't keep Luck off of his back.  Also how many games did we have to come from behind to win?  Do you know what happens when you fall behind in a game?  You more often than not have to throw to try and catch back up.  I'm not going to pretend to tell you exactly what your team "wanted" to do this year, don't come to this forum and try to tell us what our team "wanted" to do this year.

Why does everyone say that the Redskins were 9-7.  They were 10 and 6.  RG3 was 9-6 as a starter.

Rg3 was the reason the Redskins were winning early in the year.  Morris didnt hit his stride until the second half of the season.  The Colts runnign game was middle of the pack.  It was bad by any means.  YOu guys just wanted to pass the ball all over the field. 

RG3 is the best rookie on the team.  Lets not get silly.  It's a hell of a lot tougher playing QB than it is playing RB.  Morris is a beast, but Shanahan has a track record for taking people off the street and turning them into 1400 yard backs. 

A bit off topic, but why did you choose that spelling for your username? I can't imagine RedksinsForever was taken on an Indianapolis Colts message board. 

Yes defintely agree, however he also lived up to my expectations of getting injured (not meaning that in a funny way). I had a gut feeling which was confirmed, they need to tweak that offense. I don't see how any Skins fan is going to want him running 120x/yr with a knee that's been blown out twice.

I would be ecstatic with 60 or so carries for 400-500 yards and 5-6 TDs next year. It's enough to keep defenses honest, to use his skillset, and is still a small enough workload that the injury risk is low. It's not the zone read that's the problem, it's his inability to give up on a play. That will tend to go away with experience and an offensive line that is more consistent in pass protection. The Skins have a top-5 run blocking line but in straight up pass protection only Trent Williams and Will Montgomery are any good.

I would be ecstatic with 60 or so carries for 400-500 yards and 5-6 TDs next year. It's enough to keep defenses honest, to use his skillset, and is still a small enough workload that the injury risk is low. It's not the zone read that's the problem, it's his inability to give up on a play. That will tend to go away with experience and an offensive line that is more consistent in pass protection. The Skins have a top-5 run blocking line but in straight up pass protection only Trent Williams and Will Montgomery are any good.

That would be MUCH more manageable.

Yup.  You can also say that if RG3 hadnt got hurt, his numbers would have been even MORE impressive than they already were.

Or if Wilson hadnt been babied for 6 games this year, his numbers would have been more impressive as well.

RG3 had a nice rookie year but it is kind of diminished because your franchise ran him into the ground in year one.  Not good.  Sure he may get rookie of the year but he is now damaged goods which clouds his future.  I'd much rather have my rookie qb healthy going forward than have him win an award or risk his knee to win a playoff game his first year.  But hey that's me.

RG3 was a sure thing for the Skins.  Unfortunately, it seems that If anyone can mess up a potential sure thing it's probably the Skins.  Their front office really hasn't  done much right recently up until drafting RG3.   I mean no offense when I say that but I am just calling it like I see it.  I live in VA so I hear about the Skins more than I really want to.  

But like I said I don't think Luck wins rookie of the year for the reasons I already stated.  It will probably come down to RG3 or Russell Wilson.  But long term I think Luck will have the best career of the bunch.  He's the most durable of the trio, has the benefit of a good front office, and plays for a franchise with a track record of successfully developing franchise quarterbacks and surrounding him with the tools necessary to succeed.

If he never ran the read option, he would have so many more plays where he wouldn't have to give up on plays. They are linked, whether you like it or not.

A case could be made for either of the 3, but my gut tells me Rg3 or Wilson, but really it's not going to matter very much in a year. Luck still has some of the big rookie records looking safe. Most yards in a season, most yards in a single game. That's memorable enough for me.

Wanted????  More like had to.  How many Colts games did you watch entirely this season?  How poor of an O-line did you see?  An O-line that had trouble opening up holes for the run game and couldn't keep Luck off of his back.  Also how many games did we have to come from behind to win?  Do you know what happens when you fall behind in a game?  You more often than not have to throw to try and catch back up.  I'm not going to pretend to tell you exactly what your team "wanted" to do this year, don't come to this forum and try to tell us what our team "wanted" to do this year.

Eh not that I disagree with you, but I can name quite a few games where the running game was moving yet they(Arians) completely abandoned it and dug themselves in a hole thus having to throw the ball even more. The New England game is the perfect example. The first two drives were as balanced as they had been as an offense all year, but after that second TD they passed 3 straight times, after tallying 51 yards rushing in the first two drives alone, and it all went down hill from there. Punt return TD, pick 6, fumble (Luck), INT.

Yes, the O-line play was sub-par, but that offense shot themselves in the foot more than the other team just outright beating them especially knowing they were going to be playing a VERTICAL offense with a POOR O-line. More often than not they played right into the other teams gameplan.

If he never ran the read option, he would have so many more plays where he wouldn't have to give up on plays. They are linked, whether you like it or not.

False equivalency.

The read option is designed to get the quarterback in space. If the QB is running and there are defenders are around him, they're doing a poor job of reading the defensive end. Nearly always when he ran the read option it would be 10-12 yards of open space before the nearest defender. When he was healthy, he was running by them for an additional 10 yards. When injured, he simply did his awkward slide. No contact, no injury, no anything.

False equivalency.

The read option is designed to get the quarterback in space. If the QB is running and there are defenders are around him, they're doing a poor job of reading the defensive end. Nearly always when he ran the read option it would be 10-12 yards of open space before the nearest defender. When he was healthy, he was running by them for an additional 10 yards. When injured, he simply did his awkward slide. No contact, no injury, no anything.

OK, fair enough. When he is injured, it is not linked....

I'll give credit to Luck for the game winning drives, but the passing yardage record, eh...How many times did he throw the ball this year?

627?  You should be able to throw for 4000+ yards.  In today's NFL, passing yardage is the most overrated stat in football because the NFL has basically legislated pass defense out of the football.

No rookie had as much hype as RG3 has had this year and no one has done more to live up to the expectations than RG3.

He was outstanding....but he was in an offense built for him and his RB arguably deserves the ROTY more than him....your clearly an RG3 fan. Congrats on Vick 2.0......

Not to mention your backup QB (also a rookie) came in and did well.....so clearly the offense is pretty solid regardless of RGIII. I didn't say it was as good....but solid.....

Luck on the other hand....was the offense......he passed that many times, because he had to.....

i obviously want Luck to win the ROTY but I also really think he will...  the experts will take all things into consideration and Luck will win it

I believe RG3 won it. This quote from another site. http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?797942-Robert-Griffin-III-Rookie-of-the-Year

Haven't seen it officially announced yet but Redskins beat writers have been congratulating him and RG3 himself has been retweeting fans that have been congratulating him on twitter.

I agree with RG3 winning the award. Dude was a freak.

hamgriffin.gif

So WAS newton last year....flash in the pan.

Why do people act like Newton is some one-hit wonder?

He was excellent last year. That defense was pitiful early in the year. They were on the cusp of the playoffs if not for some collapses in the first half.

Here's a quote from Sporting News: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-21/robert-griffin-iii-rg3-rookie-of-the-year-sporting-news-2012-nfl-awards

Griffin is the Sporting News Rookie of the Year, headlining an extraordinary rookie class of 2012. Two other first-year quarterbacks also led their team to the playoffs—Andrew Luck of the Colts and Russell Wilson of the Seahawks. However, Griffin far outdistanced everyone else to win our award, with 363 votes ahead of Luck (213), Wilson (124) and Tampa Bay running back Doug Martin (57). The award was determined in a vote of more than 800 players, coaches and executives.

If these numbers are correct, he beat out Luck by 150 votes, with Luck coming in 2nd.  Wilson for a distant 3rd followed by Doug Martin.

What the voting will be for the AP, is anybody's guess. I would imagine it will be closer. Specially if the voting doesn't end till Jan. 29th.

But still...150 votes?

Why do people act like Newton is some one-hit wonder?

He was excellent last year. That defense was pitiful early in the year. They were on the cusp of the playoffs if not for some collapses in the first half.

He has some skills but he is a primadonna baby. Always wanting to throw others under the bus ala cutler

He has some skills but he is a primadonna baby. Always wanting to throw others under the bus ala cutler

His attidue is one thing but why is that relevant when discussing his skills as a player? He's an excellent player who has to mature in terms of his dealing with the media.

His attidue is one thing but why is that relevant when discussing his skills as a player? He's an excellent player who has to mature in terms of his dealing with the media.

Because his cry baby attitude translates to the field. And to the team. Who wants to play with or rally around a guy like that. That's the one plus about bobby

Because his cry baby attitude translates to the field. And to the team. Who wants to play with or rally around a guy like that. That's the one plus about bobby

Down 3 scores, then score a TD, what to do? Oh yea, Superman pose! ;)

Was watching mike and mike yesterday and Greene posed the question that between Newton, Dalton, Wilson, Luck, RG, Kapernick(sp?) if you were filling an expansion team which of these QB’s would you take. Both Jaws and Herm Edwards said Luck without a doubt. Greene only read a few fans responses but they were Luck as well. Greene went with Kapernick though he said that he himself is fickle.

Edwards reasoning was that although all this running QB stuff is fun to watch, eventually your running QB is going to get killed. You need a pocket QB that will last 12 to 15 years as a franchise player. He gave the examples of Breese, Brady, Manning.

Also something that I thought was hilarious was when Edwards said that Luck “has potatoes in his sack”      

btw Herm votes for Luck as ROTY because of what he did with a 2 and 14 team with no O line and next to non existent run game.

His attidue is one thing but why is that relevant when discussing his skills as a player?

you can be the most "skilled" player of all time and suck if you don't have the mental toughness to play sports.  sports are at least 50% mental 

Was watching mike and mike yesterday and Greene posed the question that between Newton, Dalton, Wilson, Luck, RG, Kapernick(sp?) if you were filling an expansion team which of these QB’s would you take. Both Jaws and Herm Edwards said Luck without a doubt. Greene only read a few fans responses but they were Luck as well. Greene went with Kapernick though he said that he himself is fickle.

Edwards reasoning was that although all this running QB stuff is fun to watch, eventually your running QB is going to get killed. You need a pocket QB that will last 12 to 15 years as a franchise player. He gave the examples of Breese, Brady, Manning.

Also something that I thought was hilarious was when Edwards said that Luck “has potatoes in his sack”

btw Herm votes for Luck as ROTY because of what he did with a 2 and 14 team with no O line and next to non existent run game.

Definitely agree, that's still not to even say that Luck can't run the ball also. He can definitely scramble for a hard earned first down or a TD, the guys an absolute tank. We just wouldn't want to get in the habit of seeing him run consistently. Put a solid OL infront of him and I definitely think we will see him have some easy wide open lanes for a 10 yard scramble out of bounds or slide a few times a game. This kid is going to he great.

Here's a quote from Sporting News: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-21/robert-griffin-iii-rg3-rookie-of-the-year-sporting-news-2012-nfl-awards

If these numbers are correct, he beat out Luck by 150 votes, with Luck coming in 2nd.  Wilson for a distant 3rd followed by Doug Martin.

What the voting will be for the AP, is anybody's guess. I would imagine it will be closer. Specially if the voting doesn't end till Jan. 29th.

But still...150 votes?

That is a lot...lol. Let's see how close ROTY is though. That'll be even more interesting.

What good are skills without the head or mentality to use them?

Can't seperate who a player is/can be from his skill set. They have to go together.

Definitely agree, that's still not to even say that Luck can't run the ball also. He can definitely scramble for a hard earned first down or a TD, the guys an absolute tank. We just wouldn't want to get in the habit of seeing him run consistently. Put a solid OL infront of him and I definitely think we will see him have some easy wide open lanes for a 10 yard scramble out of bounds or slide a few times a game. This kid is going to he great.

Yup, Run when you have to, not because you can.