Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians on Offense/Running Game and more....

NewColtsFan

I find Arians a pretty stand-up guy.... pretty straight forward.... pretty direct..... not too much coach speak.

As a media guy, and as a fan, I like that in a coach.

So, Arians is interviewed and he talks about the running game, the offensive line, the offense and more...

I think he's a very good read. If he gives an interview, I'd recommend reading it. The man is willing to talk and I think he's worth paying attention to... believe me, it's not that way with many coaches!

http://blogs.colts.com/2012/08/15/arians-talks-preseaon-opener-luck-ballard-and-injuries/

Most since 1989?? Wow, I wasn't even THOUGHT of back then.

Great Article. Arians is a great coach and he's a great person when it comes to these interviews. And you're right, there are some coaches who just don't "excel" if you will in the interview column. They'll say the same thing over and over but never execute it so they find themselves saying it agin the following week smh.

But I'm really growing to like arians as our coach

More thoughts from Arians on the receivers:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120815/SPORTS03/208150334/Colts-training-camp-recap-Tuesday-s-activities

Not at their best: Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians saw some good and some bad as the team practiced for the first time since Sunday's lopsided preseason win over the St. Louis Rams. He was most displeased with the younger players. "I thought we were very lackluster, especially the rookies," Arians said. "I think they read the paper and fiddle-farted around out here and had a really poor practice. The veterans came out and practiced real good. Most of the rookies, especially the receivers, had a very poor day. We can't be up-and-down with those guys."

One rookie, TE Coby Fleener, undoubtedly caught Arians' eye. He dropped a pass from Luck in the end zone.

Sounds like Fleener needs a reality check and Arians is bluntly calling it out. Hope he doesnt think because he was Luck`s go to man in college it makes him exempt from the axe man when he cometh, though highly doubted a 2nd rounder would get cut. But...it would prove right from the start, you perform or you walk

Best quotes from the article in my mind are.

“I’ve been really impressed with (Ballard),” Arians said. “I like his pass protection too. I think he’s improving in that area. The sky’s the limit with that kid.”

and

“Nothing surprises me about him anymore,” Arians said. “I kind of expect it now and I think it surprised other people. I wouldn’t have anticipated anything else from him.” Said about Andrew Luck.

So much potential. I want to fast forward to Sunday already.

Sounds like Fleener needs a reality check and Arians is bluntly calling it out. Hope he doesnt think because he was Luck`s go to man in college it makes him exempt from the axe man when he cometh, though highly doubted a 2nd rounder would get cut. But...it would prove right from the start, you perform or you walk

The colts arent good enough nor crazy enough to do something like that... if fleener is anything like Garcon for the colts it would be awesome cause last time i checked Garcon is a playmaker.

Fleeners attitude seemed good to me since I been attending Camp but admittedly I havent been paying alot of attention to him, My focus has been the O Lines and Corners more often then not as well as Freeney and Mathis (whos been dropping back almost every time that I have seen).To me that takes away from Freeneys potential to be affective in this new system because you have only him to worry about at least most of the time, If Im an opposing team and my Left Tackle isnt up to snuff so to speak then I am using alot of two Tight End sets against our defense, One a pass catching Tight End to force Mathis to drop back and a blocking Tight End to help out on Freeney or in the Patriots case I am lining Gronk and Hernandez on opposite ends of there O line and force both Freeney and Mathis to cover and chase. That seems to me a very good way to negate Freeney and Mathis if I am the opposing team or just run a bunch of short dink and dunk routes

In Jerry Rice's rookie year he led the entire NFL in a category....

DROPPED PASSES!! Really. Not kidding. He didn't lead the 49ers, he led the whole National Football League in drops.

How did his career turn out?

Rookies with a bad case of the dropsies happens all the time. Hey, stuff happens with rookies. I'm not happy about this, wish it wasn't happening. He dropped one here and there at Stanford. But nothing like this. He'll get past it. The vast majority of rookies do. It's all a process. The chances of Coby being cut are slim and none, and Slim has already ridden out of town.

Hey, just sayin....

Man I really don't like what we've been hearing about Fleener. I was pretty disappointed when we drafted him. I thought Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, Stephen Hill, or Janoris Jenkins would have been much better picks. I watched a lot of Stanford's games last year and was never really impressed by Fleener. A lot of the passes he caught he was wide open and Luck put the ball right where it needed to be. IMO if he was on a team with an average qb he definitely wouldnt have been even a 3rd rounder. However, I know that the chemistry between him and Luck was the major factor in drafting him. Don't get me wrong I really hope he can shake off these drops and I hope he's not losing his confidence. His measurables are insane and hopefully he develops into a great tight end, but i don't think its gonna happen as fast as we thought.

Man I really don't like what we've been hearing about Fleener. I was pretty disappointed when we drafted him. I thought Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, Stephen Hill, or Janoris Jenkins would have been much better picks. I watched a lot of Stanford's games last year and was never really impressed by Fleener. A lot of the passes he caught he was wide open and Luck put the ball right where it needed to be. IMO if he was on a team with an average qb he definitely wouldnt have been even a 3rd rounder. However, I know that the chemistry between him and Luck was the major factor in drafting him. Don't get me wrong I really hope he can shake off these drops and I hope he's not losing his confidence. His measurables are insane and hopefully he develops into a great tight end, but i don't think its gonna happen as fast as we thought.

I completely disagree. I watched the majority of Stanford's games last year and was actually more excited about Fleener than Luck. I thought it was far more often that Fleener bailed Luck out instead of the other way around. I think Fleener is going to be fine. I believe he'll easily be the next Jimmy Graham. Not worried about him in the slightest. Hopefully he doesn't prove me wrong. :)

I find Arians a pretty stand-up guy.... pretty straight forward.... pretty direct..... not too much coach speak.

As a media guy, and as a fan, I like that in a coach.

So, Arians is interviewed and he talks about the running game, the offensive line, the offense and more...

I think he's a very good read. If he gives an interview, I'd recommend reading it. The man is willing to talk and I think he's worth paying attention to... believe me, it's not that way with many coaches!

http://blogs.colts.c...d-and-injuries/

NCF

Lets hope he can stay this way aftre he loses some games and the heat is on.......

Everybody is the new-age Lombardi before they play a real game

They aren't going to cut thier second round pick his rookie year. They may barry him on the depth chart but he will not be cut.

They aren't going to cut thier second round pick his rookie year. They may barry him on the depth chart but he will not be cut.

Agree..he wont be cut and dropping him on depth chart would be the answer. It just sticks in the back of my mind one of those dropped passes could occur with a game on the line

in most cases its just learning the new terminology and getting comfortable in the system. Give the guy some time to grow into the type of player most of the organization thinks he can become. Reggie didnt actually blossom right away and fans questioned taking him in the first round and thought he was a lazy player which is hardly the case. I think most people are getting to caught up in the hype and thinking that players will come in right way and look like season vets just because they had great collegiate careers. This team "will" be good i'm just not expecting them to come out the gates looking like the defending SB champs week 1 in the NFL.

so you thought that a receiving tight end getting wide open was a bad thing? i would be worried if wasn't getting wide open in college

Give Fleener a Chance people. Okay we get it, he hasn't been "Praised" as much as Allen. But don't go off saying he won't amount to nothing or saying it would've been better to draft Courtney Upshaw. It's only the 2nd game of the Pre-Season. Yes, the Pre-Season. You guys have to be more patient with him. Yes Allen is performing greatly, because Allen went to Clemson who ran a similar offense to what Arians does. Fleener will come around. He just needs to calm down and understand that he's in the NFL now. He's not Luck's #1 target anymore, but that doesn't mean he still can't be effective. He will be fine