Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was last years team the WORST colts team ever?

StewieG

I am young so I am not old enough to say if any other teams were worse. But last years team has to be up there as one of the worst or the worst. Our offense was just so unbelievably bad, it was a huge moral victory just to get a first down sometimes lol. Our special teams was beyond horrible (its been bad for a while but last year it was super bad) And our defense was really bad too.

So what is your take?

We had a 1-15 team team led by Jeff George. He is a member of the long list of people taken #1 turned bust.

They were two points away from being the first 0-16 team.

That was a horrendous year. I couldn’t believe that after all Jeff’s crybaby attitude through college, switching schools because he couldn’t get his way, that we took him #1. I was soooooo furious that I almost quit being a colts fan. Was not surprised at all that he was a Huuuuuuuuugggge bust.

In terms of talent vs result (underachieving)....by far, not only the worst Colts teams but one of the biggest underachieving squads of all-time. Coaching, scheme and players all failed to represent their capabilities on an epic scale.

There were worse teams in terms of 'lack of talent', but last years Colts team takes the cake for underachieving.

From a talent standpoint, there's no doubt last years team was the worst Colt team ever.

Not only the least talented Colts team ever, but maybe the least talented NFL team ever.

Look at Polians draft record from the past 5 years if you ever want a good laugh. And yet there are still some people wanted him retained after last season.

Btw, I just went to www.whatifsports.com/nfl and played a few games with the 1991 colts vs. the 2008 lions. Here are my unscientific results:

Lions at home: 37 Colts 30

30 22

26 10

24 10

9 21

9 30 Lions win series 4-2

Colts at home: 37 Lions 27

38 10

30 8

21 28

24 14

17 13 Colts win series 5-1

Overall wins Lions 5-7

Colts 7-5

Who knows, things may have evened out if I had played a bunch more games. Btw, it's a pretty cool site and you can play any team from any year against anyone. They even have box scores for each game.

1991 was the worst excuse of a team I've ever seen. Just because the lions went 0-16 doesn't mean they were worse. The colts were really, really, really bad that year. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd look up the stats for the lions and colts and compare.

Yeah, I used to work at a liquor store that Colts players frequented in '91, and I remember being flabbergasted when several came in to order A CASE of Dom Perignon at the end of that season... What could they have possibly wanted to celebrate?

So what is your take?

There were a lot of bad years, usually by the fourth game I was already hoping for 'next year'. However, I think the difference is that the Colts have had time to get accustomed to winning during the Peyton years. I think the expectations are much higher and my greatest hope is that this attitude will survive Peytons departure and we will be able to replace talent as necessary and continue with this new tradition and be contenders every year.

The old days had a few bright years here and there, but after Unitas I think the team lost the ability to build on the bright spots and regain the attitude needed to be perennial winners. This is also what will make this year so interesting, will they rally and stake their ground as a force to reckoned with or will they let it slip away?

So no, I don't think last years team was the worst - or even close - but I think the big difference was attitude and expectations - not stats.

From a talent standpoint, there's no doubt last years team was the worst Colt team ever.

Hogwash.

Not only the least talented Colts team ever, but maybe the least talented NFL team ever.

Double hogwash with cheese.

The problem last year wasn't talent, it was leadership....or a complete lack thereof.

That's debatable.

Debate it, then.

Do a position by position analysis of last years regular starters vs 1991's regular starters, comparing talent level.

For instance, your telling me Curtis Painter is more talented than Jeff George? Joseph Addai is more talented than Eric Dickerson?

And you do realize who are regular starters were in defense last year in the defensive backfield, right?

Last year we had Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney. Thats it.

Good grief. It's not even close between the two teams.

Hogwash.

The problem last year wasn't talent, it was leadership....or a complete lack thereof.

What complete and utter nonsense.

Mathis, Freeney, Bethea, Saturday, and Wayne didn't provide leadership?

The problem was talent: we had very little of it. That is why our GM was fired and a new one was brought in: to inject talent.

Debate it, then.

Do a position by position analysis of last years regular starters vs 1991's regular starters, comparing talent level.

For instance, your telling me Curtis Painter is more talented than Jeff George? Joseph Addai is more talented than Eric Dickerson?

And you do realize who are regular starters were in defense last year in the defensive backfield, right?

Last year we had Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney. Thats it.

Good grief. It's not even close between the two teams.

A 2nd year George vs. Collins/Painter/Orvlosky.. PUSH

Addai/Brown > a 31 year old Dickerson & Kenny Clark 2011 Dickerson in his prime was far better than anything on last year's roster but his prime was long gone at that point.

Wayne/Garcon/Collie > Brooks, Hester & anyone else 2011

Clark/Tamme > the 91 Tight Ends. 2011

2011 vs. 1991 OL 2011

91 they ran a 3-4 vs. 2011 running a 4-3

2011 front 7 far better than the 91 front 7 2011

DB's you are looking at another PUSH at best and if I had to pick one i'd take the 2011 group.

Vinetari & Mcaffee over Biasuci & Stark ---- 2011

Vedin is the only hands down, no questions asked improvement over the 2011 squad.

Neither coaching staff was worth having... PUSH

GM I'll take Bill Polian over Jim Irsay or if you want to compare the sons, then Jim & Chris would get a PUSH.

That sums it up for me.

A 2nd year George vs. Collins/Painter/Orvlosky.. PUSH

Addai/Brown > a 31 year old Dickerson & Kenny Clark 2011 Dickerson in his prime was far better than anything on last year's roster but his prime was long gone at that point.

Wayne/Garcon/Collie > Brooks, Hester & anyone else 2011

Clark/Tamme > the 91 Tight Ends. 2011

2011 vs. 1991 OL 2011

91 they ran a 3-4 vs. 2011 running a 4-3

2011 front 7 far better than the 91 front 7 2011

DB's you are looking at another PUSH at best and if I had to pick one i'd take the 2011 group.

Vinetari & Mcaffee over Biasuci & Stark ---- 2011

Vedin is the only hands down, no questions asked improvement over the 2011 squad.

Neither coaching staff was worth having... PUSH

GM I'll take Bill Polian over Jim Irsay or if you want to compare the sons, then Jim & Chris would get a PUSH.

That sums it up for me.

You look to be comparing production. I specifically said TALENT.....talent of the people who actually played in the games.

No way on God's green earth can you ever tell me Collins/Orlovsky/Painter are in the same galaxy as Jeff George in regards to talent. There's no need for me to read any more of your response, as you've lost all credibility with your first line.

And how on earth would you EVER say an OL that started Jeff Linchenbach and Joe Reitz consistently is more talented than 1991's line? Mike Tepper started multiple games. Quinn Ojinakka started multiple games. How can you even say that with a straight face? Same thing with a defensive backfield that started David Caldwell and Jacob Lacey? I mean, do you people even realize who actually started games for the Colts last year, and actually look at their credentials? It was laughable.

And how can you say Eric Dickerson was past his prime in 1991 at age 31, but then turn around and use Dallas Clark, a guy who was injured and older than a 1991 Eric Dickerson, as an example of the 2011 TE's being better?

Again....talent.

Hogwash.

If you dont think the fall off in talent from Peyton manning to Collins painter and orlovsky didn't play a major role in last season. I have a bridge to sell you.

You look to be comparing production. I specifically said TALENT.....talent of the people who actually played in the games.

No way on God's green earth can you ever tell me Collins/Orlovsky/Painter are in the same galaxy as Jeff George in regards to talent. There's no need for me to read any more of your response, as you've lost all credibility with your first line.

And how on earth would you EVER say an OL that started Jeff Linchenbach and Joe Reitz consistently is more talented than 1991's line? Mike Tepper started multiple games. Quinn Ojinakka started multiple games. How can you even say that with a straight face? Same thing with a defensive backfield that started David Caldwell and Jacob Lacey? I mean, do you people even realize who actually started games for the Colts last year, and actually look at their credentials? It was laughable.

And how can you say Eric Dickerson was past his prime in 1991 at age 31, but then turn around and use Dallas Clark, a guy who was injured and older than a 1991 Eric Dickerson, as an example of the 2011 TE's being better?

Again....talent.

Yes talent....

I addressed talent. Talent also leads to production. Jeff George's talent wasn't realized until he was in other places. He was horrible here. He was not all that talented. He had a strong arm, but that is not equated to talent unless you are at some local country fair in a throwing for length contest. He was as bad as any of those. Collins was more of a talent at QB during his career than George, but he had seen better days. George had the touch of Otis from Mayberry back then. He actually learned to develop that a bit over the rest of his career. So yes George was more talented than Painter/Orvovsky at points during his career. He was horrible in Indy.

Clark is a better TE now than Dickerson was a RB in 91.. Different positions, different qualifications.

So average at best lineman started multiple games in 91..> Guess what? average at best lineman started multiple games in 2011. I would still say the '11 group was more talented, your word...

Was Ronnie Lott in 91 defensive back field? Rod Woodson? No. Was anyone of Betha's level? no. Betha was the one piece that to me would give the 2011 defensive backfield the edge over the 91 group, because none of the corners are better/worse than the others.

What credentials were there on the 91 team?

You didn't like my answer/response. It's not the first time, and I doubt it will be the last. Oh well.

I haven't checked the stats, but in the past the Colts have had some seriously horrible teams with bad records before the Peyton Manning Era. I would be willing to wager that last years team was not the worst.

It seemed like every year for a long time, you couuld count on 3 teams being god awful. Those teams were the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, The Indianapolis Colts, and the New England Patriots. Luckily at some point the trends changed for all 3 of those teams.

Yes talent....

I addressed talent. Talent also leads to production. Jeff George's talent wasn't realized until he was in other places. He was horrible here. He was not all that talented. He had a strong arm, but that is not equated to talent unless you are at some local country fair in a throwing for length contest. He was as bad as any of those. Collins was more of a talent at QB during his career than George, but he had seen better days. George had the touch of Otis from Mayberry back then. He actually learned to develop that a bit over the rest of his career. So yes George was more talented than Painter/Orvovsky at points during his career. He was horrible in Indy.

Clark is a better TE now than Dickerson was a RB in 91.. Different positions, different qualifications.

So average at best lineman started multiple games in 91..> Guess what? average at best lineman started multiple games in 2011. I would still say the '11 group was more talented, your word...

Was Ronnie Lott in 91 defensive back field? Rod Woodson? No. Was anyone of Betha's level? no. Betha was the one piece that to me would give the 2011 defensive backfield the edge over the 91 group, because none of the corners are better/worse than the others.

What credentials were there on the 91 team?

You didn't like my answer/response. It's not the first time, and I doubt it will be the last. Oh well.

Yeah, I pretty much disagree with every single thing you've said. Talent level is talent level regardless of if/when it gets developed. It either exists or it doesn't. Using your rationale, Peyton Manning wasn't talented his rookie year.

You haven't demonstrated at all how there was superior talent in the areas that I questioned, not to mention your hypocrisy in saying that a 31 year old is past his prime (which he very well may have been. He's still infinitely more talented than the past his prime rb we started last year) but an injury riddled 32 year old is not. You can't have it both ways.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Have a good day.

In terms of talent vs result (underachieving)....by far, not only the worst Colts teams but one of the biggest underachieving squads of all-time. Coaching, scheme and players all failed to represent their capabilities on an epic scale.

There were worse teams in terms of 'lack of talent', but last years Colts team takes the cake for underachieving.

This sums it up. We were a talented team with multiple Pro-Bowl caliber players.

But it just didn't translate.

That was a horrendous year. I couldn’t believe that after all Jeff’s crybaby attitude through college, switching schools because he couldn’t get his way, that we took him #1. I was soooooo furious that I almost quit being a colts fan. Was not surprised at all that he was a Huuuuuuuuugggge bust.

That was a bad draft year, especially for quarterbacks. Jeff had all the talent to be great, he just couldnt keep hos mouth shut and be a team player