Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Break Out Colts

Rich Cannon

Whats up Colt fans, its been awhile. But anyway im back. Just wanted to pick your brains. What Colt do you think is going to have a break out season.

my list is as follows:

Pierre Garcon

Delone Carter (Rookie)

Drake Nevis (Rookie)

Melvin Bullit

Im lookin for these guys to make a big bang this year, thoughts.......

Castonzo about half way through the season

Reggie Wayne will find his deep threat ability back

Clint Session will have a big year

Pierre Garcon will stop dropping so many passes

yea garcon has so much upside...if he can improve his hands skys the limit, hes a tremendous deep threat as it is

How can you be so close to ready to write him off? He hardly saw the field last year.

Of course, the non-tackle in the Jets game does come to mind.

im not writing him off im merely saying if he doesnt play well this year i will give him one more year of development before i say bust

Garcon

Chick and Hughes

Moala

I'm iffy on Delone Carter. He seems to be really talented and all, but I don't see him getting much playing time due to our depth at RB

Mathews

Angerer

Hedging your bets a bit there, Super'!

Although a good list, I'd suggest the reasons for Carter being iffy would perhaps count against Hughes. I do appreciate it's too early to give up on Hughes, but his complete lack of involvement last year could be very telling.

No Hughes? It'll be interesting to see what kind of role he plays this year.

Difficult to see him supplanting Freeney or Mathis. I think you will see him in more of a rotational player role, but I would expect his overall impact this year to remain small. With Freeney and Mathis ahead of him, unless the defense schemes to get Hughes in on more plays, it's just not realistic to expect him to have any significant impact this year, when you have two Pro Bowl DEs ahead of him.

And honestly, as long as Freeney and Mathis remain at Pro Bowl level, why would anybody really care if Hughes makes an impact? I for one would simply hope he shows well in giving either Freeney or Mathis breathers. Otherwise, I hope not to see much of him, as that would likely mean that Freeney and Mathis are up to their old high standard of creating havoc.

Chick didn't even look good in preseason last year. I don't think he has the speed or strength to be a good NFL de.

he's got more speed than strength. it was also a couple preseason snaps. needs more playing time than that.

based on how terrible Hughes looked, Chick is better than him.

he's got more speed than strength. it was also a couple preseason snaps. needs more playing time than that.

based on how terrible Hughes looked, Chick is better than him.

Hughes' potential is about 100 fold of Chicks' and Hughes is still young and has room to grow, which you can't really say for Chick.

Chick couldn't even make the team last year with our lack of quality de depth, he's cleary no Cameron Wake.

Hedging your bets a bit there, Super'!

Although a good list, I'd suggest the reasons for Carter being iffy would perhaps count against Hughes. I do appreciate it's too early to give up on Hughes, but his complete lack of involvement last year could be very telling.

Heh heh, coverin' all my bases!

I don't think we can give up on Hughes just yet. I'll give him this year and next. If he doesn't perform well this year, next year is his make or break year.

Conner was a huge suprise and Angerer showed why they picked him in the second round...I am really looking forward to them progressing this year. As much as I like Sessions I believe he will be priced out of Indy via FA. He makes some big plays only to be out of position on the next 3 plus injuries are concerning....I am not sure Indy will re-sign himif he thinks he is worth more on the open market. I read somewhere that Jacksonville was high on him and you can never rule out the Titans going after one of our FA's. rotflmao

yea thats unfortunate but i like conner, hes a tackling machine

Conner proved to be a great run stopping LB last year but he needs to work on his pass coverage. He seems a bit stiff to where I think he may be better suited to play SAM in the Colts D rather than the WILL position he played last year. But I was very impressed with his speed, reaction and tackling technique.

Angerer was also impressive. He was not as good as Conner at reading the play and flowing (that will come with more experience) but he was much faster and more fluid that I was expecting.

This is not directed so much at you Cannon but just on the thread. What is with all the knocking on Hughes. He played behind two probowl DEs who did not miss many snaps. When he was in the game he played well. When he got a significant amount of playing time in the 2nd Houston game when Mathis missed a couple of quarters with an injury he played extremely well against both the run and the pass and was the only defender who quickly recognized and defended against the naked bootleg Houston runs so much.

Break-out years

Nevis - rookie DT - by mid season there are going to be questions raised on why this guy was not a first rounder.

Collie - Before his first concussion last year he was leading the NFL in receptions and 1st down receptions, 2nd in yards and (if I remember correctly) tied for first in TDs. I see that production continuing this year.

Mike Pollack - Improved all year at guard and the Colts showed the world what really bad guard play looks like when they took Pollack out in favor of Link.

McClendon - I think he will move into the starting LG spot and absolutely maul just about all DTs that line up against him. Smart, strong and quick is a good combination.

Conner proved to be a great run stopping LB last year but he needs to work on his pass coverage. He seems a bit stiff to where I think he may be better suited to play SAM in the Colts D rather than the WILL position he played last year. But I was very impressed with his speed, reaction and tackling technique.

Angerer was also impressive. He was not as good as Conner at reading the play and flowing (that will come with more experience) but he was much faster and more fluid that I was expecting.

This is not directed so much at you Cannon but just on the thread. What is with all the knocking on Hughes. He played behind two probowl DEs who did not miss many snaps. When he was in the game he played well. When he got a significant amount of playing time in the 2nd Houston game when Mathis missed a couple of quarters with an injury he played extremely well against both the run and the pass and was the only defender who quickly recognized and defended against the naked bootleg Houston runs so much.

Break-out years

Nevis - rookie DT - by mid season there are going to be questions raised on why this guy was not a first rounder.

Collie - Before his first concussion last year he was leading the NFL in receptions and 1st down receptions, 2nd in yards and (if I remember correctly) tied for first in TDs. I see that production continuing this year.

Mike Pollack - Improved all year at guard and the Colts showed the world what really bad guard play looks like when they took Pollack out in favor of Link.

McClendon - I think he will move into the starting LG spot and absolutely maul just about all DTs that line up against him. Smart, strong and quick is a good combination.

you made some good points, i think hughes will have more of an impact this year due to him actually getting in the rotation, to be dead honest our only pass rushers are Freeny, Mathis, Foster. They accounted for about 90% of our sacks which is sad. Hughes giving some playing time hopefully can give me 3-5 sacks per season. I also think that nevis will be a 3-5 sack guy which we desperatley need in the middle. He was the second best pass rushing DT in this years draft besides Fairley, totaling 6 in the 2010 season