Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts show interest in WR Josh Gordon in Supplemental Draft

HtownColt

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And didn't Terelle Pryor get drafted in the 3rd round? I think he did I could be wrong

Yes. he did.... and most NFL teams thought he was **way** over-drafted. (read, too high)

Few think of him as a QB. Some think of him as a TE or H-back. Some say that's just one of the reasons why Hue Jackson is no longer the HC. He helped make that decision, along, of course, with sending a #1 and a #2 to Cincy for Carson Palmer

It's OK to like someone.... but it's bad when you over-pay....

The reason I dont want him isnt because off the field issues, we have bigger needs that wide receiver and if we was to give up a 3rd for him we would miss out on taking care of another need such as Corner, Outside Linebacker, Guard, Tackle

This Kid is Intriguing in a way but he is a risk as well. Now technically you take a risk with any player you pick up or draft. Just because they were a star in college doesnt mean they will be great in the pros. This Kid is the same way, he sounds talented but has some off the field issues so thats his risk factor. Its a matter of where and what the team is willing to risk on and how much. I personally say maybe 4th if he slides that far becuae I think our first three picks next year will be the biggest and ther is a decent chance we will get a couple compensation picks in the middle as well. Also dont forget as Ive already mentioned a couple times in other post that we may very well end up adressing a couple of our needs in free agency next year with our 40+ mil dollars. I could see us taking care of at least 2-3 major needs in free agency if things go right which would take a little pressure of some of the draft picks. It all about his pro day impression and where our management is willing to take a risk. Is this an area wer they feel we can afford to lose a middel round draft pick for a guy with above average talent but off the field problems? And how does the fact of what we could do in free agency prior to the draft affect our thier decision on whether it would be worth giving up that draft pick? All things need to be taken into account.

The reason I dont want him isnt because off the field issues, we have bigger needs that wide receiver and if we was to give up a 3rd for him we would miss out on taking care of another need such as Corner, Outside Linebacker, Guard, Tackle

Free agency is going to take care of some holes as well(since we are going to have loads of money for the free agency period) and we need to get Wayne's young replacement in here sooner than later so Wayne can groom him

Free agency is going to take care of some holes as well(since we are going to have loads of money for the free agency period) and we need to get Wayne's young replacement in here sooner than later so Wayne can groom him

I'd give a 4th for him after thinking about it but not higher, and Free Agency wont bring us a shutdown Corner . solid #1's options in Cromartie, Jabari Greer and Micheal Jenkins though

If he is talented but his character is in question maybe make him watch a "Khloe and Lamar" marathon and if that doesn't straighten him out...there is no hope ;)

I would say makin him watch the other one! Keeping up with the drama queen that is kim. That or any of the housewives shows. . . .

BTW when is the supplemental draft and is it just a bidding contest? Please explain because i'm a little foggy here

I don't know much about the guy but I dont think we will get any WR we already have ten WR on the roster Wayne, Collie,Avery,Hilton,Brazill,Sambrano,Whalen,Ross,Fayson and Cosby to give up a pick next year when we have so many holes that need to be filled just does'nt make sense to me unless the colts already feel they made a mistake or thinks he can contribute and win a roster spot or feel he will make that much of an impacked. We will see :colts:

This kid seems to have good intangibles, just as stated some off the field issues. I say go for it in the 2nd round if we feel he is a steal. I am personally not in love with our current WR corps. And adding a physical presence for competition couldn’t hurt I guess.

This kid seems to have good intangibles, just as stated some off the field issues. I say go for it in the 2nd round if we feel he is a steal. I am personally not in love with our current WR corps. And adding a physical presence for competition couldn’t hurt I guess.

Woah there! A second is basically a first where we'll be picking. No way use a 2nd.

Ok so you dont agree, who would you choose in the supplemental draft then?

I'm not saying I don't Gordon. I'm saying using a 2nd would be a terrible waste. A 4th is as high as I would want him, and that's if we see him as our future #1.

My own personal rule, which is completely arbitrary and irrelevant, is you don't give up anything higher than a 5th for a supplemental pick. That's just based on the success rate of supplemental picks in recent years, and how it matches up with other draft picks and their success rate. If you really, truly think you have a homerun on your hands, going with a 4th might make sense. But that would be an exception to the rule. We don't have a 4th in next year's draft right now, so if there's someone we really like and think can make the roster, we probably don't have the pick to get him.

My own personal rule, which is completely arbitrary and irrelevant, is you don't give up anything higher than a 5th for a supplemental pick. That's just based on the success rate of supplemental picks in recent years, and how it matches up with other draft picks and their success rate. If you really, truly think you have a homerun on your hands, going with a 4th might make sense. But that would be an exception to the rule. We don't have a 4th in next year's draft right now, so if there's someone we really like and think can make the roster, we probably don't have the pick to get him.

We traded away our 5th rounder for next year, but I'm pretty sure we still have a 4th.

They were also saying on NFL.com that he pulled a quad during his pro day, so maybe he does slip to us in the fourth. We have the roster space (two under now that Gallipo is gone). Maybe Grigson had his eyes on more than one player.

We traded away our 5th rounder for next year, but I'm pretty sure we still have a 4th.

They were also saying on NFL.com that he pulled a quad during his pro day, so maybe he does slip to us in the fourth. We have the roster space (two under now that Gallipo is gone). Maybe Grigson had his eyes on more than one player.

I thought we gave up our 4th in the TY Hilton draft trade. Just checked, and you're right. So we have a 4th, no 5th.

I would do the 4th rounder in a heart beat but I don't think he will last that long. I believe he will be a 3rd rounder....to Dallas. He was the #1 receiver for RG3 in 2010. He had great wonderlick scores and caught all his passes. I would have liked a faster 40 time than 4.5 but at 6'3 and a quad injury I think he is closer to 4.4 speed. I am not sure we would go for a 3rd rounder because of his character issues but if I thought the kid was legit I would do it. You basically have to look at it as what do you think he would grade out if he went back to school. He probably was a second to third rounder but if he would have played last year with RG3 last year he would have graded out as a 2nd rounder easily. Quite interesting....if we pick decided to offer up a pick and it is in the same round as everyone else...we get the kid....guess we just have to wait and see what we thought of him.

I would say makin him watch the other one! Keeping up with the drama queen that is kim. That or any of the housewives shows. . . .

BTW when is the supplemental draft and is it just a bidding contest? Please explain because i'm a little foggy here

I think there's a lottery to decide the team order (our being #1 in April doesn't count now). Then it's kind of like a blind auction, where teams sort of bid which round they'd give up.

I think it's all done at one time, not team by team, pick by pick. So every team sends in what they'd give for a player if they choose. Then the league tells them who 'won' the player based on their draft order and which selection they're willing to give up.

Does that make sense, and is it right?

I think there's a lottery to decide the team order (our being #1 in April doesn't count now). Then it's kind of like a blind auction, where teams sort of bid which round they'd give up.

I think it's all done at one time, not team by team, pick by pick. So every team sends in what they'd give for a player if they choose. Then the league tells them who 'won' the player based on their draft order and which selection they're willing to give up.

Does that make sense, and is it right?

Mostly.

The draft order is partially influenced on previous year's record, but not quite.

Unlike the televised April draft in which the order is determined simply by the won/loss percentage from the preceding season, the supplemental draft order is determined by a lottery in which the league's 32 teams are slotted into three "groups." These groups are determined by the same won/loss percentage, but are thought to take into account the annual fluctuation of talent for clubs that occurs through the draft and free agency each off-season.

Therefore, while the Carolina Panthers owned the first pick last year, Ron Rivera's club will be competing with roughly a third of the league for the first pick of each round of the supplemental draft. Teams afterward will be informed of the order.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/31438411

Ran 4.52, and I heard that the quad injury is something very minor and shouldn't have bothered him much. He's around a 4.5 player. Schefter and some others say he could go in the 3rd or even 2nd, but take into account that he has drug problems (more than marijuana), and add 2 rounds, and were looking at a 4th round pick.

I say he goes in the 4th, and if I were in charge of the Colts, I'd stay the heck away from him. What has he proven in the NCAA? Nothing!

Ran 4.52, and I heard that the quad injury is something very minor and shouldn't have bothered him much. He's around a 4.5 player. Schefter and some others say he could go in the 3rd or even 2nd, but take into account that he has drug problems (more than marijuana), and add 2 rounds, and were looking at a 4th round pick.

I say he goes in the 4th, and if I were in charge of the Colts, I'd stay the heck away from him. What has he proven in the NCAA? Nothing!

It's hard to argue that we should draft someone like Janoris Jenkins (who went in the 2nd round, and who many fans here wanted), and then hold up a cross against Josh Gordon. The talent is there. The question is a) do you think he can make your final roster, and b) is he worth the potential headache. I haven't crossed him off my list, but I understand the hesitation. If we really, really like him, I get using our 4th rounder in next year's draft. Nothing more.

It's also noteworthy that he has missed the rookie symposium, which was reportedly excellent this season. I believe he'll be eligible to go next year, but the NFL should consider if there's a way to allow players who are going to be in the supplemental draft to attend.

Well, with that 4.52 40, he isn't worth our fourth rounder to me. If, somehow, he falls to round 6, then fine. Otherwise, not worth it.

His former teammate, Kendall Wright, ran a 4.61 and went in the first round. Brian Quick and Reuben Randle both ran a 4.55, and both went in the second round. I don't think there's anything wrong with his time, especially on a bad hammy.

His former teammate, Kendall Wright, ran a 4.61 and went in the first round. Brian Quick and Reuben Randle both ran a 4.55, and both went in the second round. I don't think there's anything wrong with his time, especially on a bad hammy.

A reason why there is so much hype, was his supposed low 4.4 time. Not worth a high pick. JMO.

A reason why there is so much hype, was his supposed low 4.4 time. Not worth a high pick. JMO.

I'm not campaiging for him. I just don't think there's anything wrong with a 4.52 time. And I don't think a 4.4 time is necessarily a reason to be interested in the first place. Honestly, I think we're jam packed at receiver, with a ton of options and depth, even though it's young. I'm not that interested in Gordon. I'd be fine with a 6th rounder for him, but I get the feeling he's going to go higher than that.

It's hard to argue that we should draft someone like Janoris Jenkins (who went in the 2nd round, and who many fans here wanted), and then hold up a cross against Josh Gordon. The talent is there. The question is a) do you think he can make your final roster, and b) is he worth the potential headache. I haven't crossed him off my list, but I understand the hesitation. If we really, really like him, I get using our 4th rounder in next year's draft. Nothing more.

It's also noteworthy that he has missed the rookie symposium, which was reportedly excellent this season. I believe he'll be eligible to go next year, but the NFL should consider if there's a way to allow players who are going to be in the supplemental draft to attend.

For starters, it's the supplemental draft, so it's a different situation then the real draft.

Janoris Jenkins was probably going to go in the early teens or 10th overall had he not have his problems. So essentially, he lost a round. I like to add 2 rounds because that's the case in a lot of cases like Hernandez, or (pretty much 2 rounds) Jayron Hosley in this year's class. Lots of examples.

Now, i didn't answer your question... so let me do that.

Janoris Jenkins is better than Josh Gordon, he's more proven than him. His combine was more impressive than Gordon's. Bottomline, he's more talented and has more potential than Gordon. I can't speak for all the guys out there, but I think the main reason why people here didn't want him, and wanted Jenkins is because the Colts could use a CB, as it's their biggest weakness. They wanted Jenkins to help the position out. Now with Gordon, the Colts have the wide receiver spot under control, if you know what I mean; they have enough people there. They have Reggie and Austin starting. They have TY, Donnie, and Lavon fighting for the slotback spot, with the rest backing up. Drafting Gordon would just add another body to an already overcrowded position, and odds are, he isn't going to beat out TY or Donnie for the slotback spot. So, is it really worth spending one of next year's draft picks on a guy who is going to back up? No.

For starters, it's the supplemental draft, so it's a different situation then the real draft.

Janoris Jenkins was probably going to go in the early teens or 10th overall had he not have his problems. So essentially, he lost a round. I like to add 2 rounds because that's the case in a lot of cases like Hernandez, or (pretty much 2 rounds) Jayron Hosley in this year's class. Lots of examples.

Now, i didn't answer your question... so let me do that.

Janoris Jenkins is better than Josh Gordon, he's more proven than him. His combine was more impressive than Gordon's. Bottomline, he's more talented and has more potential than Gordon. I can't speak for all the guys out there, but I think the main reason why people here didn't want him, and wanted Jenkins is because the Colts could use a CB, as it's their biggest weakness. They wanted Jenkins to help the position out. Now with Gordon, the Colts have the wide receiver spot under control, if you know what I mean; they have enough people there. They have Reggie and Austin starting. They have TY, Donnie, and Lavon fighting for the slotback spot, with the rest backing up. Drafting Gordon would just add another body to an already overcrowded position, and odds are, he isn't going to beat out TY or Donnie for the slotback spot. So, is it really worth spending one of next year's draft picks on a guy who is going to back up? No.

My assumption was that your reason for not wanting Gordon was his issues. If I misunderstood you, my bad, but that's what you hinted in your post.

If it's a production or a need issue, I can understand that. I'm not campaigning for him, but I think if he can stay in line, he can be a good player.

My assumption was that your reason for not wanting Gordon was his issues. If I misunderstood you, my bad, but that's what you hinted in your post.

If it's a production or a need issue, I can understand that. I'm not campaigning for him, but I think if he can stay in line, he can be a good player.

His issues, his production, the overpopulation at the WR spot, and the fact that they would lose a draft mid to early draft pick in next year's draft, are the reasons why the Colts should not draft him. So yes, that's part of the reason.

He never was productive and he proved today that he isn't a Stephen Hill, who's an athletic freak. If he reaches his full potential, he'll be like Randy Moss, just kidding, more like Laurent Robinson.

His issues, his production, the overpopulation at the WR spot, and the fact that they would lose a draft mid to early draft pick in next year's draft, are the reasons why the Colts should not draft him. So yes, that's part of the reason.

He never was productive and he proved today that he isn't a Stephen Hill, who's an athletic freak. If he reaches his full potential, he'll be like Randy Moss, just kidding, more like Laurent Robinson.

Yet, I bet the Raiders would take him if they could. I don't want him, except if he lasts to the 6th, which he wont.

Yet, I bet the Raiders would take him if they could. I don't want him, except if he lasts to the 6th, which he wont.

That's true, the Raiders could do anything, and projecting what the Raiders will do is something nobody could do.

That's true, the Raiders could do anything, and projecting what the Raiders will do is something nobody could do.

I think it's important to remember that Al Davis isn't running the Raiders anymore and that Reggie McKenzie's moves will probably make a lot more sense.

I think it's important to remember that Al Davis isn't running the Raiders anymore and that Reggie McKenzie's moves will probably make a lot more sense.

It will probably be better, but McKenzie did trade for Carson Palmer and gabe them way too much for him.

It will probably be better, but McKenzie did trade for Carson Palmer and gabe them way too much for him.

McKenzie didn't come in till this off-season they traded for Palmer during the season. It was done before he was hired because McKenzie's name was one of those tossed out as soon as the Polians were fired.

McKenzie didn't come in till this off-season they traded for Palmer during the season. It was done before he was hired because McKenzie's name was one of those tossed out as soon as the Polians were fired.

My bad, sorry, mental error there. My point was that it happened after Al Davis.

Sometimes I'm stupid :(

I wouldnt say he cant produce. In his sophmore year he had 42 rec for 714 yards and seven TDs think if he had just had 80-90 receptions he very well could have had 1200-1400 yards recieving and 15-18 TDs possibly. These were numbers just as a secondary reciver with only 42 receptions. He also has decent kickofff return ability and averaged 24.7 yards a return that year. This kid does have some serious talent and can produce I dont think we can really deny that by the numbers. Now yes he would need to show consistency with it but Im sure he could as long as he stays out of trouble. His pro day was solid and he caught every pass with his hands not body, He tracked the ball well over his shoulder and showed some ability to go get the ball. The bigest risk with this kid really is his off the field issues because if he can cut that out this KId really does have pretty high potential with his ability and skill set. Im not saying Im sold on taking him but I defeinatley think we should give it a close look and really consider what we have and what we need. Keep in mind we will need to find a future #1 guy to replace Wayne and we may very well use our first pick next year on D. So Grabbing this guy possibly and letting him get acclimated this year and learn from Wayne and develop a little bit might not be a bad Idea. I know we have Hilton, Brazil and Collie and Avery but we could use a big target with some speed. You gotta look at this from alot of perspectives and kida weigh the positives and negatives and then make a decision. We shall see!