Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shanahan: Garcon "was best wide out in free agency"

MTC

Via Rotoworld:

Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan believes Pierre Garcon "was the best wideout available" in free agency.

Garcon was the No. 8 receiver in Profootballtalk.com's Free Agent Hot 100. "Pierre is fast as can be, he can get off bump, he can get in and out of his breaks, he has good hands and he’s fearless," Shanahan said. "He will block as good as anyone. ... He gets after it, he competes, and he’s everything I look for in a wide receiver." Coming off a career-best 70/947/6 campaign, Garcon is the No. 31 receiver in Rotoworld's initial rankings.

All I can say is... lol

You know if Garcon can take care of the ball, we all know he has great speed, he can prove to be one of the best by far, it was very unfortunate to see him go, the guy was always healthy, young, TALENTED he had blazing speed, yes he dropped a few but that is correctable, after thinking about it and not just reacting immediately to what Shanahan said, we lost a very good receiver, maybe he isn't ever meant to be a number 1 but if he gets that catching problem taken cared of LOOK OUT, our guys may be good hype but Garcon has proven he can produce

You know if Garcon can take care of the ball, we all know he has great speed, he can prove to be one of the best by far, it was very unfortunate to see him go, the guy was always healthy, young, TALENTED he had blazing speed, yes he dropped a few but that is correctable, after thinking about it and not just reacting immediately to what Shanahan said, we lost a very good receiver, maybe he isn't ever meant to be a number 1 but if he gets that catching problem taken cared of LOOK OUT, our guys may be good hype but Garcon has proven he can produce

I've said many times he has the potential to be a great WR if he can get his hands fixed. But Garcon was not even close to being the best WR in free agency. Lloyd, Wayne, and Colston are just some of the guys that are much better

haha Please! It was Josh Morgan! How do you think he feels? In all seriousness, he is a decent developing receiver, but he wasn't great, even with Manning throwing to him. He is way overpaid, and he is probably going to be a bust signing. A 6th round receiver with butter hands is going to find it hard to play up to that money.

I've said many times he has the potential to be a great WR if he can get his hands fixed. But Garcon was not even close to being the best WR in free agency. Lloyd, Wayne, and Colston are just some of the guys that are much better

Oh I agree, I never said he was the best but the potential I believe is their

If you have dropping problems with the GOAT throwing to you, it's going to be hard to get better with a QB with overrated accuracy who loves to run.

If you have dropping problems with the GOAT throwing to you, it's going to be hard to get better with a QB with overrated accuracy who loves to run.

To be fair, Peyton has never had the prettiest throw. And Garcon (somehow) did better with Painter last year than with Peyton.

If we're including people who weren't ever gonna go anywhere (like, we all knew Bowe was getting tagged, but he was technically at the end of his contract) then I could probably name 10 better than Garcon.

How come no one mentions Vincent Jackson? He's by far the best in the class and it's laughable for anyone to say Garcon was better. I think Garcon does match up favorably with the guys you have here and he fits the offense the Redskins will be running far better than the guys you have. He does give you that brutal drop... but still is pretty electric.

Jackson started 75 games

Played in 92 games

272 receptions

Garcon

Played in 58 games

started 43

188 receptions

They arent that far apart in production once you take into account the number of games each one has started and played in

and that Garcon hasn't been our number 1 receiver, tell you the truth, looking at it as a whole Jackson has been more productive and may even have more talent, but Garcon has never been accused of taking plays off unlike Jackson, if both were in a draft, I wouldn't be mad if we took Garcon over Jackson, I wouldnt lose any sleep over it

Jackson started 75 games

Played in 92 games

272 receptions

Garcon

Played in 58 games

started 43

188 receptions

They arent that far apart in production once you take into account the number of games each one has started and played in

and that Garcon hasn't been our number 1 receiver, tell you the truth, looking at it as a whole Jackson has been more productive and may even have more talent, but Garcon has never been accused of taking plays off unlike Jackson, if both were in a draft, I wouldn't be mad if we took Garcon over Jackson, I wouldnt lose any sleep over it

If you were playing the Saints in a SB and were up 10-0.. 3rd and 8 and Peyton Manning delivered a strike to a wide open WR with a whole lot of open field , would you rather have Garcon or Jackson be that guy ? Just breaking them a bit here but Jackson is no doubt the more reliable WR. I agree that Garcon has a lot of talent but IMO , he's a notch below Jackson. As far as taking plays off , I don't know if true with Jackson. I do know that Garcon gives a 100% every play. He's a perfect fit with Washington , but man ... pretty big contract.

If you were playing the Saints in a SB and were up 10-0.. 3rd and 8 and Peyton Manning delivered a strike to a wide open WR with a whole lot of open field , would you rather have Garcon or Jackson be that guy ? Just breaking them a bit here but Jackson is no doubt the more reliable WR. I agree that Garcon has a lot of talent but IMO , he's a notch below Jackson. As far as taking plays off , I don't know if true with Jackson. I do know that Garcon gives a 100% every play. He's a perfect fit with Washington , but man ... pretty big contract.

I'd take Jackson but if both were in the same draft I wouldn't start cussing at the tv if we drafted Garcon over Jackson like I did when we traded out of the 4th round

My problem with WR Pierre Garcon: He will make an acrobatic, freak of nature, 3rd & long catch for a vital 1st down & then fumble & drop an easy throw & nice pass right on the jersey numbers. I don't get it & it used to drive me nuts. :pullhair:

Jackson started 75 games

Played in 92 games

272 receptions

Garcon

Played in 58 games

started 43

188 receptions

your missing the biggest fact. garcon couldnt get 1000 yards with peyton throwing him the ball. that should give you a good indication of how good garcon is

I'd take Jackson but if both were in the same draft I wouldn't start cussing at the tv if we drafted Garcon over Jackson like I did when we traded out of the 4th round

Give Hilton a chance. Next year's 5th might be a small price....

your missing the biggest fact. garcon couldnt get 1000 yards with peyton throwing him the ball. that should give you a good indication of how good garcon is

So the fact that Garcon was within 53 yards of 1000 with the combined efforts of Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky mean nothing?

Garcon hasn't ever been Peytons #1 target thats always been Marvin or Reggie, Vincent Jackson has always been the #1 target

Give Hilton a chance. Next year's 5th might be a small price....

Hiltons shown very good in college no question he has the potential to be very good but the injury history of him and not to mention Avery raises some doubts, hey if they can stay healthy (I dont mean Breet Favre healthy) but if they can prove to play more then Bob Sanders and produce 6 or 7 hundred yards every year (either Hilton or Avery I dont care which) then Ill consider that very good but I have my doubts....we shall see, they are both very talented when playing

So the fact that Garcon was within 53 yards of 1000 with the combined efforts of Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky mean nothing?

Garcon hasn't ever been Peytons #1 target thats always been Marvin or Reggie, Vincent Jackson has always been the #1 target

I don't know if you did the research or just looked at my post but I knew someone else would bring up the yardage situation

I don't know if you did the research or just looked at my post but I knew someone else would bring up the yardage situation

Researched NFL.com. I think Garcon was underrated, he dropped some but he stayed healthy and brought SPEED

They certainly paid him like he was the best wideout available. They better hope he was.

I think if RGIII lives up to the hype then Garcon has a real good chance to prove that he can be a #1 but I dont think RGIII will

He hasnt shown to be a #1 but he has been a very good #2 I certainly believe the potential is their for him to be a #1

the redskins were the #5 pick in the draft. They dont know anything about recruiting and evaluating. Their whole team is basically a failure.

Lets just hope that they train RG3 right. because if they couldnt train the previous 25 quarterbacks since almost 2 decades, how are they supposed to train this one.

Hiltons shown very good in college no question he has the potential to be very good but the injury history of him and not to mention Avery raises some doubts, hey if they can stay healthy (I dont mean Breet Favre healthy) but if they can prove to play more then Bob Sanders and produce 6 or 7 hundred yards every year (either Hilton or Avery I dont care which) then Ill consider that very good but I have my doubts....we shall see, they are both very talented when playing

Which is it that had you throwing ash trays at the TV. The fact that the Colts drafted Hilton or the fact that they traded up to select him in the 3rd. I assume that what's you are talking about when you say "traded out of the 4th." Not to be a nit picker but I think when you say a team trades out of a round it doesn't mean they traded up ... usually it means they traded out of the round (down) and added additional picks in lower rounds. In this instance SF "traded out of the 3rd round " getting the Colts 4th a their 2013 5th. Just trying to understand what you mean...

the redskins were the #5 pick in the draft. They dont know anything about recruiting and evaluating. Their whole team is basically a failure.

Lets just hope that they train RG3 right. because if they couldnt train the previous 25 quarterbacks since almost 2 decades, how are they supposed to train this one.

Shanahan is thought to be pretty good with young QB's.

Which is it that had you throwing ash trays at the TV. The fact that the Colts drafted Hilton or the fact that they traded up to select him in the 3rd. I assume that what's you are talking about when you say "traded out of the 4th." Not to be a nit picker but I think when you say a team trades out of a round it doesn't mean they traded up ... usually it means they traded out of the round (down) and added additional picks in lower rounds. In this instance SF "traded out of the 3rd round " getting the Colts 4th a their 2013 5th. Just trying to understand what you mean...

Meaning we traded up 5 spots for a guy that we probably could have gotten in the 4th round and Jayron Hosley in the 3rd

haha Please! It was Josh Morgan! How do you think he feels? In all seriousness, he is a decent developing receiver, but he wasn't great, even with Manning throwing to him. He is way overpaid, and he is probably going to be a bust signing. A 6th round receiver with butter hands is going to find it hard to play up to that money.

Garcon was NEVER "the man" in Indy. He will now be expected to be "the man" in DC. A football town, that will not be nice to him if he runs bad routes and drops big passes as he did on "TOO MANY OCCASIONS" with Indy.

I really do wish him the best, but the pressure will be suffocating for him in Washington.

We didn't trade up to get Hilton. We traded up to get CB Casey Hayward but the Packers drafted him a few spots before our pick.

Gavin posted twice that he goofed in that post.

Anywho...let's just hope that Hayward doesn't become some sensational DB so we're left ruing that missed pick.