Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

a couple questions

betheafan41

Question number 1

- What exactly is dead money in salary cap? i have read 3 different articles today about the colts being tied up in dead money with guys like brackett and manning, sorry just confused on it lol.

and question number 2

- seeing how it looks like MJD may be on the verge of holding out due to not getting a contract extension, would it be a bad idea for the colts to try to kick the tires on maybe trading for him? and what would it cost to get him? figure it would prob cost a high draft pick and then some, and may just be something we wait until the off season to try to bring him to indy. BUT what if he isnt a FA and signs before the year is over? so would trading for him be a bad thing or good thing and how much do you think it would take to get him? maybe a 2nd round pick in next years draft and 5th and 6th round picks in next years draft and 2014 draft with maybe like freeney?

I understand the whole not trading draft picks but this is a chance to bring in a well proven RB who could be a good mix with Luck.

this is all just a thought, so be easy lol

I don't think the Jags will trade MJD.

As for dead cap money, bav can probably describe it better, but I think it has to do with their contracts. For example, in the contract, it will say the team will pay you some guaranteed money for a certain year, then even if you are released by the team, they must pay that guaranteed money. Not 100% if that's correct though

Question number 1

- What exactly is dead money in salary cap? i have read 3 different articles today about the colts being tied up in dead money with guys like brackett and manning, sorry just confused on it lol.

In simple terms, dead money in the cap is money spent previously on players that are no longer playing for your team but counts against this years cap. Signing bonuses and all guaranteed money other than the base salary in a contract is the source of this dead money.

I don't think the Jags will trade MJD.

As for dead cap money, bav can probably describe it better, but I think it has to do with their contracts. For example, in the contract, it will say the team will pay you some guaranteed money for a certain year, then even if you are released by the team, they must pay that guaranteed money. Not 100% if that's correct though

Let's say you sign a guy for a five year contract with a $20M guaranteed signing bonus (and ignore the base salary). For salary cap purposes, that type of guaranteed bonus is accounted for in $4M annual increments ($20M / 5 years) even though the player gets all $20M up front.

If a player is released by the team after year 2, there still remains the $4M in unaccounted for signing bonuses for years 3, 4, and 5. Depending on the circumstances of the release and the timing of it, that money 'accelerates' (i.e. gets moved) from all future years into the current year, which in this example is year 3. So in year 3, there is a total cap hit of $12M ($4M+ $4M+ $4M).

This money is called 'dead money' because it's taking up salary cap space for a player no longer on the team (and thus you're spending cap space with no return, so it's like that money is just dead).

There's no way JAX trades MJD. He's their ENTIRE Offense. But according to their Offensive Coordinator & I quote "MJD has lost a Step". Why you would say that about your Star Player is beyond me. But who knows, maybe he holds out. But I don't see them letting him go

There's no way JAX trades MJD. He's their ENTIRE Offense. But according to their Offensive Coordinator & I quote "MJD has lost a Step". Why you would say that about your Star Player is beyond me. But who knows, maybe he holds out. But I don't see them letting him go

when did he say that?

IMHO, not too many teams are going to trade for aged RBs anymore. MJD had a great year, played all 16 games, and was far and away their best player. But even the Jags see the business aspect, how many more years will he give them? Same with Forte.

The 2nd (big) contract for RBs may be a thing of the past in today's NFL.

I wouldnt want to trade for MJD, he would cost a fortune, and I think he takes a tumble this year. Too many miles on him. Why would a young rebuilding team like us trade for an old RB that's about to run out of time? No pun intended.

I wouldnt want to trade for MJD, he would cost a fortune, and I think he takes a tumble this year. Too many miles on him. Why would a young rebuilding team like us trade for an old RB that's about to run out of time? No pun intended.

I see the same. But it's not his Fault. He's 95-98% of his Offense. He's going to take more Punishment than anyone else on that Offense. But yet the Team gets on NFL.com & got the nerve to say "He's lost a step". You'd lose a Step too if you touching the ball almost EVERY Snap. People don't understand that RB's eventually wear down just like any other player would

Only thing I got from that article is the Jags are digging for excuses not to pay the man

"I think he left yards on the field. He turned many 3-yard gains into 7-yard gains, but also turned potential 20-yard gains into 7-yard gains." dumb statement considering hes the only resemblance of offense the Jags have had since Jimmy Smith retired going on 7 years ago, pay the man his final two years ....unless you want to run the risk of having no offense at all, the Jags are just finding ways not to pay the man, also yes MJD is about to run out of time....perhaps......but still if we got the chance for him he would come in and be the automatic starter here, wouldn't even have to be a contest

Only thing I got from that article is the Jags are digging for excuses not to pay the man

"I think he left yards on the field. He turned many 3-yard gains into 7-yard gains, but also turned potential 20-yard gains into 7-yard gains." dumb statement considering hes the only resemblance of offense the Jags have had since Jimmy Smith retired going on 7 years ago, pay the man his final two years ....unless you want to run the risk of having no offense at all, the Jags are just finding ways not to pay the man, also yes MJD is about to run out of time....perhaps......but still if we got the chance for him he would come in and be the automatic starter here, wouldn't even have to be a contest

The title of the article said "Jags think MJD lost a step" I was just going by that lol. But they are just finding excuses. But in due time they'll realize that he was their ENTIRE Team. Cause I hope they don't think Blackmon is the answer. He hasn't even taken a Game Snap & already Drinking & getting Arrested smh. He's OFFCIALLY been Arrested more times than he's caught a Pass, Scored a Td, or got a 1st Down in his NFL Career

Question number 1

and question number 2

- seeing how it looks like MJD may be on the verge of holding out due to not getting a contract extension, would it be a bad idea for the colts to try to kick the tires on maybe trading for him? and what would it cost to get him? figure it would prob cost a high draft pick and then some, and may just be something we wait until the off season to try to bring him to indy. BUT what if he isnt a FA and signs before the year is over? so would trading for him be a bad thing or good thing and how much do you think it would take to get him? maybe a 2nd round pick in next years draft and 5th and 6th round picks in next years draft and 2014 draft with maybe like freeney?

I understand the whole not trading draft picks but this is a chance to bring in a well proven RB who could be a good mix with Luck.

this is all just a thought, so be easy lol

Question 2.

I don't see that happening for the following reasons

• Lack of cap space to sign MJD(that would take some form of Freeney extension)
  • I doubt Jacksonville would be willing to trade him within the AFC South.

Question 2

Dead Money.

I wanted to supply a chart so it is easier to see using Manning's most recent contract as an example:

manningdeadmoney.jpg

He was paid a 20 million signing bonus on his 5 year deal, with that being prorated @ 5 million a year for each year of the contract for cap purposes.

Since his option bonus was due in the final days of the 2011 league year, for accounting purposes the team was allow to carry 5.6 million 28/5 of that option bonus in 2011 even though it wasn't to be paid after the season but still in the 2011 season.

Since his contracted was terminated when he was CUT, the remaining unamortized pro-rations for 2012-2015 accelerate into the current cap year(2012). This is a total of 16 million dollars.

Since the option bonus wasn't paid, and the Colts carried the 5.6 of the option bonus(which wasn't paid), it is treated as a credit against the unamortized amount. The 5.6 million is subtracted from the 16 million, which gives you the 10.4 million of dead cap space on the 2012 salary cap.

Hopefully laying out via the chart, can help explain it for those that see things visually.

Good thread. Good freaking thread. Two interesting questions leading to lots and lots of really good answers.

It's threads like this why I like this website so much. Some really, really smart football fans. Gets my football juices flowing.... Is it September yet?

I agree that the Jags won't want to trade MJD but he is holding out.... He wants a new deal or traded and is not reporting to mandatory mini camp. If I was MJD, I dont think i would play another snap for Jax. RBs typically have a short career and he is not getting any younger. He could make a lot of teams into a contender and Im sure he wants a ring. They may not want to trade him but if he wont play for them then they dont have much choice. I would jump up and down, cheer, and do a little dance if we actually got MJD to wear a horseshoe on his helmet.

Wow the OC saying that about the only good part of their offense. Looks like they need to get rid of that guy. He's definitely not the brightest person on the planet. Some people are too derpy.

Wow the OC saying that about the only good part of their offense. Looks like they need to get rid of that guy. He's definitely not the brightest person on the planet. Some people are too derpy.

According to the Article, the organization thinks that. And in the article, they basically come up with 1,000 Reasosn to not sign MJD. But here's the Article so you can interpret it how you see fit

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8296ec67/article/report-jags-think-maurice-jonesdrew-lost-a-step-

Isn't Forte hitting free agency soon?

Forte doesn't have a signed contract at the time but the Bears would be crazy to let this guy go. Also there's NO WAY that Jax would trade MJD to a div. opponent. If they did trade him(which i seriously doubt)they would probably do what the Packers did when trading Favre to the Jets. It was in the agreement that IF the Jets were to trade Favre to the Vikings then the Jets would not receive any picks that were agreed on in the contract.