Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.j. Houshmandzadeh Though Visiting Patriots, Reportedly Wants To Sign With Colts

bayone

I accused someone of fearing the Pats too much yesterday but it would almost be worth it just so the Pats can't have him. But then again its still over kill. Blair White would have to go and Gonzo would have to be holding down the bench even when healthy. But if anyone gets hurt then its a great signing. This is frustrating! I can't decide if it would be a good signing!!!!

If I recall White is still on the PUP list. The Colts could just stash White on the IR and bring him back next season since we have Garcon, Wayne, and Gonzo all as free agents(and probalby TJ as well if we sign him) the odds of us keeping all of them is pretty small. So I think White might be of more use to use next season.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonzo and TJ(or any combo of WRs) sitting on the bench, healthy would be ridiculous. No one thinks that might cause some issues in locker room?

Give the time to the person who earns it. If it's a dead heat, rotate them. Get creative, come with different packages on a series by series basis. All kinds of neat things you could do with a WR corps like that.

IMO, the longer he waits, the less his potential role here will be. We value guys who have been practicing in our system, and his sitting at home isn't doing him any favors. If he still doesn't make a decision by the end of this week (And I hope we don't bring him in, mind you) if he DOES decide to come in he'll most likely be put in a role similar to the one hank baskett was put in two years ago: Riding the bench, and negatively involved in one of the biggest plays of the season...

I would love to bring TJ here. but heck where will he fit? im sure he can still get at least a 3 string spot on some other team, and he can surely put up 65+ catches here in indy, with number 18 throwing the ball. heck i rather have him out there then garcon who have problems holding on to the ball. but anyaway collie 3 slot spot is safe. no body is taking it unless he is hurt. so why not? Tj would of made the catch that blair white droped, for a first down in the 4 qt in the wild card game, which we would of ran out the clock and won the game from that point.

ill say if he wants to come lets pick him up

I still can't believe he wants to be a Colt. If he's willing to give up playing time, gladly, then yes.

But I'd hate to see the Colts denote Garcon, who is being prepared to be the future of the Colts, for an outsider. Its understandable if Garcon was just a scrub but he's not. The kid has legit skills and is a emerging star.

I still can't believe he wants to be a Colt. If he's willing to give up playing time, gladly, then yes.

But I'd hate to see the Colts denote Garcon, who is being prepared to be the future of the Colts, for an outsider. Its understandable if Garcon was just a scrub but he's not. The kid has legit skills and is a emerging star.

I think TJ would be a great pick-up still. We need his presence in the goal line. Imagine this 5 WR set: Wayne, TJ, Clark, Collie, Garcon. That is pretty deadly. I'm a firm believer that our o-line has improved. So you sub out Clark or TJ for Addai, but still I like that line up a lot. Gonzo got paid a lot of money for getting hurt. You can not count him as a viable option right now. He has no right to be complaining about anything until he can stay on the field. The team comes first. The team needs insurance with Collie and Garcon. Because we are one injury away from counting on Blair White. Who is a good bench player, but just does not have NFL speed to elude corner backs. He can at best match up with slower linebackers. Put a DB or fast LB on him, and he is blanketed. He is a great route runner, and had decent hands until he helped lose the Jets game.

Return game

Return game

Return game

I continue to say it. TJ has experience; he played as a kick returner with the Bengals, and still has good open-field moves. Even though he might have lost a step, the team kicking off no longer gets a running start on kicks. That gives the returner an advantage, even on a kick into the end zone. I think you will see more kicks being brought out and more developed blocks from the returning team as they will have a split-second more time to engage the coverage team. TJ could breathe life into our kick return game, as well as provide depth at receiver. A player that can cover 2 needs with 1 salary.

Good points Tuba and Bobby. While White can get open against some decent CBs (Route in the Raiders game last year) TJ is a big upgrade.

And I forgot all about TJ returning kicks, which is something White did and something Gonzo alluded to doing last year. Its starting to make more sense now. Does it just come down to money now?

Return game

Return game

Return game

I continue to say it. TJ has experience; he played as a kick returner with the Bengals, and still has good open-field moves. Even though he might have lost a step, the team kicking off no longer gets a running start on kicks. That gives the returner an advantage, even on a kick into the end zone. I think you will see more kicks being brought out and more developed blocks from the returning team as they will have a split-second more time to engage the coverage team. TJ could breathe life into our kick return game, as well as provide depth at receiver. A player that can cover 2 needs with 1 salary.

Great points Tuba Guy. I knew there had to be something up with the new kick-off rule. Now that I know they can't get a head start, that will definitely make things a lot more interesting. I guarantee with time taking it out of the end zone will become the norm. Because any kickoff returner and blocking team worth their salt should be able to make it to the 20 if the kicking team doesn't have a running start. I think it also makes kick-offs safer because it will be harder to launch because innovative teams will work to jam the kicking team at the line of scrimmage.

TJ should already be in camp with us IMO. All these signings on defense, and nothing to address what lost us our last playoff game. Blair White was playing against a secondary he had no business playing against. He was a first year UDFA playing against the Jets. I think TJ wants a ring, and knows from the last two years that 99 percent of good recievers get that way from good QB play. Even Moss, with the most gaudy stats ever for a few years, couldn't do anything at all in Oakland. Jerry Rice may be the lone exception to this rule, but in his prime he did always have great quarterbacks.

I know this sounds bad, But the colts needs to win now. not the future. when number 18 goes, so will the colts for a few years, so they need to start putting people around him to win now.

Well, they need to win over the next 5 years, and they've been drafting/bringing in the right guys for that stretch. TJ wouldn't add a whole lot.

I'm not saying I am against the signing; hey, if he's cheap, right? But if something put this Colts team over the top, it wouldn't be the addition of an old WR.

On second thought I just read this from Wikipedia...

Baltimore Ravens

Houshmanzadeh signed a one-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens on September 6, 2010 for the veteran league minimum of $855,000. However, since his $7 million salary with the Seattle Seahawks was guaranteed in his previous contract, Seattle paid him the remaining $6.15 million for 2010. During his short and disastrous tenture in Baltimore, "Housh" mustered only 30 receptions for 398 yards. He managed to score only 3 touchdowns, although one of them won Week 4 against the Pittsburgh Steelers. In the 2010 Divisional Playoff loss vs. Pittsburgh, Houshmanzadeh dropped a critical pass which would've converted a third down and instead ended the game and Baltimore's season. That, combined with his constant complaining and general poor play, lead to him not being re-signed. He remains a free agent. "If I go to the right team I'll shock a lot of people." [7]

On August 15, 2011 he is expected to work out for the Patriots

He is not going to sign with us. Polian will not play those games and he is too old of a receiver to bother with. Besides, we have talented players and we don't want Reggie Wayne getting any more ticked off than he already is.

Wasn't TJ drafted the same year as Reggie?

I really don't think that signing Housh would be a better option than our current WR; provided they stay healthy. I really think that the fact that the Colts are looking at signing T.J. shows that Blair White is more injured than anyone knows. If you take White out of the situation,we have Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzalez, Taj Smith. Collie and and Gonzo are both injury-prone; and Taj Smith obviously has never really shown anything to the coaches in his 3 years with team otherwise Peyton would have brought him out of obscurity a long time ago. If we sign Housh, I would expect him to even be a #3 WR. He is more of a depth signing than anything else in my opinion.

I really don't think that signing Housh would be a better option than our current WR; provided they stay healthy. I really think that the fact that the Colts are looking at signing T.J. shows that Blair White is more injured than anyone knows. If you take White out of the situation,we have Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzalez, Taj Smith. Collie and and Gonzo are both injury-prone; and Taj Smith obviously has never really shown anything to the coaches in his 3 years with team otherwise Peyton would have brought him out of obscurity a long time ago. If we sign Housh, I would expect him to even be a #3 WR. He is more of a depth signing than anything else in my opinion.

If we Housh he's going to behind Wayne, Garcon, and Collie for starters. Gonzo may or may not be higher than him on the depth chart and that doesn't include Dallas Clark and I am sure the Colts are going to try to work Tamme into the offense some as well. Don't get me wrong if you get a guy like Housh I am sure the Colts would work him into the offense I just think he would start low on the depth chart. You know I go back to the start of last season, Garcon dropped a couple of really passes over the middle against the Texans and then on one seris he didn't go back in and Gonzo did. Then Gonzo got hurt, I think the Colts honestly benched Garcon because he was dropping easy passes. Frankly Garcon kinda had that job last season by default due to injuries to Collie and Gonzo. If we had a guy like Housh or a healthy Gonzo the Colts might keep Garcon on a short leash if he doesn't improve his drops issues. I kinda put Collie in his own catagory as long as he's healthy he's our slot guy along with Clark.

I keep hearing that Housh wants to play here. Anyone ever think we looked Housh and decided we weren't interested in him?

I don't really see Collie as injury prone. He just happened to take a couple of nasty hits to the head. Do you think you could of got right back up from one of those hits? I agree that if by signing Houshmazilla that he will act as an insurance signing.

I don't really see Collie as injury prone. He just happened to take a couple of nasty hits to the head. Do you think you could of got right back up from one of those hits? I agree that if by signing Houshmazilla that he will act as an insurance signing.

Yes Dallas had the exact same issue the year after the Super Bowl. Once he got an off-season of not being hit and a new helmet it hasn't been an issue since. We can only hope the same happens for Collie.

Forget TJ and worry about our own. Run more sets with both Clark and Tamme. HELLO, can you say mismatch. I think Taj Smith deserves some time also. This kid's a playmaker on special teams and could also shine as a WR. He deserves a chance. Plus you get him for cheap. Wake up and take the light away from your pipe dreams.

Taj Smith over TJ is laughable.

Why is that? Taj is younger, quicker, and at this point in their careers more athletic. It is laughable to me that some people keep beating the TJ drum when it is obvious that not to many teams are chomping at the bit to sign him. He's probably asking to much money, which also just proves he's not worth it. TJ has not been good since he left the Bengals.

I think he'd be a good veteran presence for any team, but I think Blair White/ Anthony Gonzalez fill the 5th WR void very well. However T.O. would be a better fit for 4th or 5th WR even though Indy would never sign him