Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Houston have the potential to be the best team in the league?

Jules

At least on paper, right now.

If Schaub stays healthy and the defensive improvement from last year carries over to this season, then this team might be in the top 5/3 in BOTH offense and defense.

They finished second last year in overall D.

They can run the ball as well as anyone or better.

With Schaub the passing game should be there.

What weaknesses would they have outside of potential injuries?

Thoughts?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of injury, the biggest weaknesses we have is the lack of WR depth, and a true #2 corner back.

Outside of AJ, we don't have a solid #2, as of this point. Kevin Walter has great hands but has trouble with separation, and he's not a deep threat at all. I am looking for at least 2 guys to step up and be good additions to the core. Lestar Jean had a great training camp and pre-season before injuring his shoulder last year and going on IR. All reports say he's doing just as good in OTAs this year. Devier Posey, Keshawn Martin, and Trindon Holliday are the others I hope can do well. Holliday is tiny (5'5) but may be the fastest guy in the NFL; but Kubiak has said he won't use a roster spot on just a return man, which is why he spent most of the year on the practice squad last year. However, Kubiak says he's made great strides so far this year.

As far as CBs, Kareem Jackson hasn't shown himself to be the solid corner we drafted him for, but thanks to Jonathan Joseph and a rotating #2 CB last year we had a really good secondary. Allen is gone and I want Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael to step up and rotate in that position. We traded up for Harris last year, and Roc was doing great in pre-season last year, before going on IR (like Jean).

If we can get those worked out, and we stay away from injury, and the defense is just as good, we SHOULD be vying for the #1 seed this year.

Good points Vance. There are a few holes right now.

Overall last season I was greatly impressed by the transformation in the Houston D. If it continues it makes me wonder why with a healthy Schaub that the Texans can't be "the team to beat" with that sort of balance.

Of course anything can happen but this is speculation by me in what I believe is an open AFC at times for a few new teams to jump in the SB mix.

Texans gave Baltimore on the road everything they could handle with whats his name at QB. I honestly felt that with Schaub they could have been in the SB and maybe won it. Eli would not have been quite as comfy against the Houston D like against NE and Houston would have burned up a lot of clock running the ball.

Of course, with all this Texans praise I might want to go take another shower.

One thing that seems to always work against the Texans is injuries. Is it a Texas thing with their football teams or something in recent years?

They can be close, but the Packers are young, and have the best QB in football, and a now improved D, I think they will be better. All the Texans lack is a #2 WR and a top 5 QB, but that is still not enough to convince me they could beat the Packers or even the 49ers come SB time. They could be the AFC best, though.

They are for sure a good team. I love the versatility of Foster, and I think Shaub is really good (when he is not hurt, which seems to be way too often) They are def weak at WR. AJ is getting older and his health is starting to decline. They need some good showings at the WR position this year to be a dominant force.

If Schaub stays healthy and the defensive improvement from last year carries over to this season, then this team might be in the top 5/3 in BOTH offense and defense.

Thoughts?

The D stats for Houston are skewed because of what happened with QBs in Indy...and Jacksonville

..which Houston played twice..

there is NO CHANCE that without DE Mario Williams...Houston is in the to-10 in defense this season..

..and I'd say they wont be the NFL's best opverall due to that

The D stats for Houston are skewed because of what happened with QBs in Indy...and Jacksonville

..which Houston played twice..

there is NO CHANCE that without DE Mario Williams...Houston is in the to-10 in defense this season..

..and I'd say they wont be the NFL's best opverall due to that

Mario was out for most of the season and they still got a good pass rush with Barwin and Reed.

Mario was out for most of the season and they still got a good pass rush with Barwin and Reed.

True..mst of the time....but they rushed Curtis Painter and Danny 'O' and some jamokes in Jacksonville and Tennessee for 6 games

they had pumped up defensive numbers they would not have had if the divison had had REAL Qbs.

the best in the NFL is a high bar,....

better than New England?? Better than Pittsburgh?

That's a hard road to hoe

True..mst of the time....but they rushed Curtis Painter and Danny 'O' and some jamokes in Jacksonville and Tennessee for 6 games

they had pumped up defensive numbers they would not have had if the divison had had REAL Qbs.

New England's defense was nothing special. I'd say Houston is the most complete team in the AFC. They can pass the ball well, run the ball well, stop the run and the pass

They can be close, but the Packers are young, and have the best QB in football, and a now improved D, I think they will be better. All the Texans lack is a #2 WR and a top 5 QB, but that is still not enough to convince me they could beat the Packers or even the 49ers come SB time. They could be the AFC best, though.

I agree that if the Pack D gets back to say 2010 form they could win it all. I have to see it to believe it though with their defense and these improvements.

no wide receivers outside Johnson. Kareem Jackson sucks love hearing people in houston talk about kareem Jackson it is hilarious down here. and they let their whole right side of the OLine walk and didnt really fill it just hoping for Rashad Butler and that other guy i forgot his name to fill that void and Connor Barwin has to have a duplicate season from last year. and Sharpton the replacement to Demeco Ryans has to get everybody lined up and recognize and audible on a dime like Ryans did Sharpton has his hands full with that assignment

We whooped those jamoke Steelers in week 4. Forget the score and look at the stats. It was no contest. And also the Steelers were beat by the Ravens twice and got Tebow'ed. Pitt isn't what it used to be.

And New England had the most cake walk yellow-brick road glitter fairy land skip into the Super Bowl I've ever seen. They can be had.

no wide receivers outside Johnson. Kareem Jackson sucks love hearing people in houston talk about kareem Jackson it is hilarious down here. and they let their whole right side of the OLine walk and didnt really fill it just hoping for Rashad Butler and that other guy i forgot his name to fill that void and Connor Barwin has to have a duplicate season from last year. and Sharpton the replacement to Demeco Ryans has to get everybody lined up and recognize and audible on a dime like Ryans did Sharpton has his hands full with that assignment

He sucks for the fact that we drafted him in the first round. That's it. He's just decent.

And "did nothing to replace the right side" of our O-line? Pretty sure we drafted 3 offensive lineman this year. Butler takes one spot and there are 3 guys battling for the other.

And God this Ryans thing is so overrated...he was so out of place in the 3-4 we only played him on 1st and maybe 2nd downs. We signed Bradie James to fill his void (this guy played under Wade in Dallas). It's day 5 of OTAs and he already knows all the checks better than most who have been there for a year, plus.

And I think Connor can be just as productive, but if not we still have Reed and Mercilus to back him up. Jared Crick was an absolute steal for us and he's doing great, too.

We whooped those jamoke Steelers in week 4. Forget the score and look at the stats. It was no contest. And also the Steelers were beat by the Ravens twice and got Tebow'ed. Pitt isn't what it used to be.

And New England had the most cake walk yellow-brick road glitter fairy land skip into the Super Bowl I've ever seen. They can be had.

I agree with this. Come playoff time, NE and their consistently easy schedule and Pitt's weakening D and OL, Houston can beat them both. The Ravens are the team you should be scared of in the AFC, even without Suggs and Pagano.

I think the primary concern for Houston is their offensive line, having lost a key player, and their secondary. Neither are big concerns. I know they want a good #2 receiver, but when you have a guy like Andre Johnson, you can have a #2 by committee. Plus, they are still a team that is going to run the ball a healthy share, making the pass a little easier to open up, especially off of bootleg action. Assuming Schaub is healthy, they should be among the top teams in the league, and certainly in the AFC. The only way they don't win 11 or 12 games is if the defense regresses. And there's really no reason for that to happen, not that I can see.

The loss of Eric Winston, their best O-lineman, is a bad one.

They lost one of the leaders of their D and one of the best players in Demeco Ryans.

They have a mediocre receiving core that would be at the bottom if it weren't for A.J.

Their TE spot isn't great, Daniels is not living up to his big contract.

They just need a couple more additions and a healthy quarterback to be considered the best. So, yes they have potential, but then again, every team does.

The loss of Eric Winston, their best O-lineman, is a bad one.

They lost one of the leaders of their D and one of the best players in Demeco Ryans.

They have a mediocre receiving core that would be at the bottom if it weren't for A.J.

Their TE spot isn't great, Daniels is not living up to his big contract.

They just need a couple more additions and a healthy quarterback to be considered the best. So, yes they have potential, but then again, every team does.

Are you serious. Apparently you missed my post just a few above yours where I said this whole Ryans thing is blown out of proportion. I'm also fairly sure you've said that same thing before and I quoted you explaining, again, how only people who don't really know about the Texans thinks this is a big deal.

After preseason and week 1 last year I kinda pegged Baltimore as "the team who is due to go to the Super Bowl" finally.

And well I thought it really would happen. Man oh man did they come close. However, if they had homefield I do think they could have done it for good. Of course they blew a few games they should have won last season. Well, of course.

As for the Steelers maybe it was the Super Bowl loser curse? We might get a better idea of if that thing is for real after seeing NE next season and if anything odd happens to them.

Heck when it comes to Pittsburgh the Colts almost beat them.

Are you serious. Apparently you missed my post just a few above yours where I said this whole Ryans thing is blown out of proportion. I'm also fairly sure you've said that same thing before and I quoted you explaining, again, how only people who don't really know about the Texans thinks this is a big deal.

I live in houston and follow them as well(ain't like I have a choice here) and losing demeco Ryans is a huge loss wade Phillips isn't goin to say it but he did pick up bradie James for that role but can't replace how huge he was in the locker room and leader of the team..Kareem Jackson and Jacoby Jones were hands down most hated texans they got rid of one Kareem will be gone soon. Love Jared Crick wouldve been a first round pick if he didnt tear his pectoral muscle. Texans are fine fans down here just hoping Schaubs foot is 100% and Andre Johnson comes back healthy and finding the answer at right tackle they got Brooks to fill the right guard spot.NT could use a little work Shaun Cody or Earl Mitchell isn't the answer. Man I wish colts had JJ Watt on our team though. They're fine.top team in the league heck no. You can't tell a Texans fan nothing down here right now they win the division once they think they are on top of the world lol hate to say but they have a reason to be

After preseason and week 1 last year I kinda pegged Baltimore as "the team who is due to go to the Super Bowl" finally.

And well I thought it really would happen. Man oh man did they come close. However, if they had homefield I do think they could have done it for good. Of course they blew a few games they should have won last season. Well, of course.

As for the Steelers maybe it was the Super Bowl loser curse? We might get a better idea of if that thing is for real after seeing NE next season and if anything odd happens to them.

Heck when it comes to Pittsburgh the Colts almost beat them.

The steelers fixed their weakest link already that O line and picked up David Decastro and Mike Adams to really make Big Ben feel safe behind that line now..expect them to be back to their original self.

I live in houston and follow them as well(ain't like I have a choice here) and losing demeco Ryans is a huge loss wade Phillips isn't goin to say it but he did pick up bradie James for that role but can't replace how huge he was in the locker room and leader of the team..Kareem Jackson and Jacoby Jones were hands down most hated texans they got rid of one Kareem will be gone soon. Love Jared Crick wouldve been a first round pick if he didnt tear his pectoral muscle. Texans are fine fans down here just hoping Schaubs foot is 100% and Andre Johnson comes back healthy and finding the answer at right tackle they got Brooks to fill the right guard spot.NT could use a little work Shaun Cody or Earl Mitchell isn't the answer. Man I wish colts had JJ Watt on our team though. They're fine.top team in the league heck no. You can't tell a Texans fan nothing down here right now they win the division once they think they are on top of the world lol hate to say but they have a reason to be

Leader of the defense, yes. Productive player, worth his salary? Heck no. Not anymore. He'll have a good year with Philly back in a 4-3 system. He's a 4-3 guy. I also frequent the Texans forum (duh) and as time goes by we are understanding the Ryans trade more and more.

And Wade likes Cody and Mitchell, but you probably know more than him. Right? :)

Leader of the defense, yes. Productive player, worth his salary? Heck no. Not anymore. He'll have a good year with Philly back in a 4-3 system. He's a 4-3 guy. I also frequent the Texans forum (duh) and as time goes by we are understanding the Ryans trade more and more.

And Wade likes Cody and Mitchell, but you probably know more than him. Right? :)

Jim caldwell liked Curtis Painter but the world probably knows more than him right lol

The steelers fixed their weakest link already that O line and picked up David Decastro and Mike Adams to really make Big Ben feel safe behind that line now..expect them to be back to their original self.

True, the Steelers o line MIGHT be improved for next season. If thats the case then maybe Ben stays in one piece for an entire season. Many put him down but I always felt Ben was underrated as a QB in this league.

Wade Phillips remolded the Texans defense into a well oiled machine. RB Foster is a ground game beast with great vision, speed, & who hits the hole without hesitation. QB Matt Schabb is agile, slides well in the pocket, surveys the field quickly, & makes good decisions with the ball. Health is this squad's biggest liability IMO.

I don't see Green Bay in New Orleans this year. I see the Texans & 49ers myself. Green Bay still has offensive line issues. Yes, Jeff Saturday is there & the draft addressed a few of these issues for Aaron Rodger's squad, but I don't think it will gel this year to make the SB. It is time for the Texans to rise up & take the Lombardi Trophy by force NOW!!! The coaching staff is solid, the chemistry is concrete, & the ground & ariel attack are ready to shine.

JUST DO IT Texans!!!

Thoughts?

It's been covered by previous posters so I'll just cut to the chase. Almost every team has the potential given the right set of circumstances, so except for the stars aligning for the Texans I say no. They aren't even in the top 5 right now.

Wade Phillips remolded the Texans defense into a well oiled machine. RB Foster is a ground game beast with great vision, speed, & who hits the hole without hesitation. QB Matt Schabb is agile, slides well in the pocket, surveys the field quickly, & makes good decisions with the ball. Health is this squad's biggest liability IMO.

I don't see Green Bay in New Orleans this year. I see the Texans & 49ers myself. Green Bay still has offensive line issues. Yes, Jeff Saturday is there & the draft addressed a few of these issues for Aaron Rodger's squad, but I don't think it will gel this year to make the SB. It is time for the Texans to rise up & take the Lombardi Trophy by force NOW!!! The coaching staff is solid, the chemistry is concrete, & the ground & ariel attack are ready to shine.

JUST DO IT Texans!!!

Not a chance Lance. Barring catastrophic injuries they'll win the AFC South but they won't make it to the big dance.

It's been covered by previous posters so I'll just cut to the chase. Almost every team has the potential given the right set of circumstances, so except for the stars aligning for the Texans I say no. They aren't even in the top 5 right now.

Well of course. It's the offseason. It's all speculation until we see some games during the season and know exactly what we are dealing with around the league.

Based on last season though Houston looked to me like they could have been a legit SB contender if they had Schaub in the mix. The AFC looked pretty darn beatable. Now next season this could change, but based on last season alone the Texans looked legit at times and now have some playoff experience under their belts.

Of course it can all change. For all we know the Giants-last years SB champs don't even make it back to the playoffs. Or GB does not fix anything on defense and the offense can't carry them again and they call apart. You just never know.

I am hoping the Colts can stun the world and take the AFC South but right now I am more dreaming of second place.....:)

Many seem to doubt Schaub too and obsess over QBs they rank in the top 3 or 5. He is a good QB though. He needs to prove more in the clutch for me however. Overall if that team continues to play great D and continues to pound the rock as well as they do they have the potential to be the most balanced team in the AFC with a good enough QB in Schaub.

Much depends on injuries though as for most teams.

Well of course. It's the offseason. It's all speculation until we see some games during the season and know exactly what we are dealing with around the league.

Based on last season though Houston looked to me like they could have been a legit SB contender if they had Schaub in the mix. The AFC looked pretty darn beatable. Now next season this could change, but based on last season alone the Texans looked legit at times and now have some playoff experience under their belts.

Of course it can all change. For all we know the Giants-last years SB champs don't even make it back to the playoffs. Or GB does not fix anything on defense and the offense can't carry them again and they call apart. You just never know.

I am hoping the Colts can stun the world and take the AFC South but right now I am more dreaming of second place..... :)

Many seem to doubt Schaub too and obsess over QBs they rank in the top 3 or 5. He is a good QB though. He needs to prove more in the clutch for me however. Overall if that team continues to play great D and continues to pound the rock as well as they do they have the potential to be the most balanced team in the AFC with a good enough QB in Schaub.

Much depends on injuries though as for most teams.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound critical just didn't want to repeat what earlier postings had said. As for Houston, yes last year they were contenders until injuries so if they repeat as contenders depends on what players stay healthy and how well they did in the draft to bolster a very strong, young, team.

My "not even top 5" answer is based on how they respond to what happened last year and the intangible feeling in the back of my head that several teams are going to elevate their games this season to prove that they are for real--Chiefs, Broncos, and the Jets. Throw in the perennial contending Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots and it will indeed be an interesting season to get to the playoffs.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound critical just didn't want to repeat what earlier postings had said. As for Houston, yes last year they were contenders until injuries so if they repeat as contenders depends on what players stay healthy and how well they did in the draft to bolster a very strong, young, team.

My "not even top 5" answer is based on how they respond to what happened last year and the intangible feeling in the back of my head that several teams are going to elevate their games this season to prove that they are for real--Chiefs, Broncos, and the Jets. Throw in the perennial contending Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots and it will indeed be an interesting season to get to the playoffs.

You could be right. I also think there might be a few teams that elevate their games too. In fact if there isn't then the AFC will be dreadfully boring again.

If I had to choose one, the only team that we would lose to more often than not at this point would be the Ravens.

And who is your top 5? Even if I hold off on listing the Texans for as long as I can, I can't do it. Ravens, Steelers (God), Pats, Broncos (with that STELLAR defense), who is 5??

If I had to choose one, the only team that we would lose to more often than not at this point would be the Ravens.

And who is your top 5? Even if I hold off on listing the Texans for as long as I can, I can't do it. Ravens, Steelers (God), Pats, Broncos (with that STELLAR defense), who is 5??

Outside the Ravens I can see the Texans running ragged over those other defenses. They did it to Pittsburgh last year. God knows the Pats D until proven otherwise sucks. The Broncos "middle of the pack D" until proven otherwise gets torn up by the run.

And TBH I am not sold on the Ravens repeating a strong season again right now. This past season to me was their best shot and they blew it.

It all depends on how the Texans bounce back from the injuries of last year and how well they used the draft. I have a strong feeling several teams are going to elevate their games this season to prove that they are for real--Chiefs, Broncos, and the Jets so when you add the perennial contenders Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots you have a crowd at the top.

It all depends on how the Texans bounce back from the injuries of last year and how well they used the draft. I have a strong feeling several teams are going to elevate their games this season to prove that they are for real--Chiefs, Broncos, and the Jets so when you add the perennial contenders Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots you have a crowd at the top.

So you think the Chiefs or Jets are #5? I'm sorry that's crazy. Sanchez is a headcase, so is Rex for that matter. I don't see any 'team' when I look at them, just individual players. And the Chiefs had injuries just like we did, and went 7-9. They are behind us both offensively and defensively.