Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Houston have the potential to be the best team in the league?

Jules

I think biggest concern for the Texans is a combination of 2 things, first they just lost Winston, so who will protect Schaubs blindside and two what will they get out of Schaub if they get that protection, Schaub isn't bad by any means, he is good but when I think of some of the best in the league his name dont come up. so to me it is a question of what will he do this year as for the best in the league, I dont think so, not this year

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on how the Texans bounce back from the injuries of last year and how well they used the draft. I have a strong feeling several teams are going to elevate their games this season to prove that they are for real--Chiefs, Broncos, and the Jets so when you add the perennial contenders Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots you have a crowd at the top.

But, even if the Texans just win the AFC South as they are expected to then none of those other teams truly effect them until playoff time. They would be in. And they have a weaker division then the others possibly (depending on how this AFC South mystery shakes out :)) so they have a shot to maybe grab a bye week too. I could see them maybe losing right now two AFC South games at most.

Now of course if the Texans LOSE the division things could get dicey in terms of competition. And heck for all we know in the AFC a 9-7 6th seed is possible again.

But, yes every season there should be a few new teams in the mix. And a few who let us down. If the Texans fail to live up to expectations I am not sure that would stun me either but they are young enough overall/talented enough/balanced enough and now have some playoff experience under their belts.

Right now it does look like the road is being paved for Houston to at least get back to the playoffs and make some potential noise. If it is too good to be true the season will determine this.

Like you I have a few gut feelings on some teams but have no idea how right or wrong I will be yet.

I think biggest concern for the Texans is a combination of 2 things, first they just lost Winston, so who will protect Schaubs blindside and two what will they get out of Schaub if they get that protection, Schaub isn't bad by any means, he is good but when I think of some of the best in the league his name dont come up. so to me it is a question of what will he do this year as for the best in the league, I dont think so, not this year

Winston and Brisiel were both on the right side of the line. Caldwell is replacing Brisiel, and there is competition at RT between Butler, Brooks (our 3rd round pick), and Newton (a surprise, he went undrafted).

Caldwell started every game the year Foster took the rushing title.

And Schaub gets knocked down more than a few pegs because he's never been in the playoffs. Remember guys, the Texans led the league in passing a couple years back, and was in the top 5 in that category back when we didn't have a defense.

So you think the Chiefs or Jets are #5? I'm sorry that's crazy. Sanchez is a headcase, so is Rex for that matter. I don't see any 'team' when I look at them, just individual players. And the Chiefs had injuries just like we did, and went 7-9. They are behind us both offensively and defensively.

The Chiefs are way ahead of the Colts on both sides of the ball, and will be contenders. Sanchez may or may not start, Tebow may or may not do well there but the Jets are better than the Texans with either one starting. The Broncos, will prove to be better than both of them and will be in the playoffs for sure.

Just IMHO.

But, even if the Texans just win the AFC South as they are expected to then none of those other teams truly effect them until playoff time. They would be in. And they have a weaker division then the others possibly (depending on how this AFC South mystery shakes out :)) so they have a shot to maybe grab a bye week too. I could see them maybe losing right now two AFC South games at most.

Now of course if the Texans LOSE the division things could get dicey in terms of competition. And heck for all we know in the AFC a 9-7 6th seed is possible again.

But, yes every season there should be a few new teams in the mix. And a few who let us down. If the Texans fail to live up to expectations I am not sure that would stun me either but they are young enough overall/talented enough/balanced enough and now have some playoff experience under their belts.

Right now it does look like the road is being paved for Houston to at least get back to the playoffs and make some potential noise. If it is too good to be true the season will determine this.

Like you I have a few gut feelings on some teams but have no idea how right or wrong I will be yet.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Texans missed their shot and will win the South with 9-7 or something similar but then get beat in the Wild Card round. They just seemed to be a house of cards to me and all the cards aren't gonna be there this time.

The Chiefs are way ahead of the Colts on both sides of the ball, and will be contenders. Sanchez may or may not start, Tebow may or may not do well there but the Jets are better than the Texans with either one starting. The Broncos, will prove to be better than both of them and will be in the playoffs for sure.

Just IMHO.

Dude, WHAT? Alright. Your opinion.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Texans missed their shot and will win the South with 9-7 or something similar but then get beat in the Wild Card round. They just seemed to be a house of cards to me and all the cards aren't gonna be there this time.

You think all the cards were there for us last year? Obviously not.

Wade Phillips remolded the Texans defense into a well oiled machine. RB Foster is a ground game beast with great vision, speed, & who hits the hole without hesitation. QB Matt Schabb is agile, slides well in the pocket, surveys the field quickly, & makes good decisions with the ball. Health is this squad's biggest liability IMO.

I don't see Green Bay in New Orleans this year. I see the Texans & 49ers myself. Green Bay still has offensive line issues. Yes, Jeff Saturday is there & the draft addressed a few of these issues for Aaron Rodger's squad, but I don't think it will gel this year to make the SB. It is time for the Texans to rise up & take the Lombardi Trophy by force NOW!!! The coaching staff is solid, the chemistry is concrete, & the ground & ariel attack are ready to shine.

JUST DO IT Texans!!!

Not a chance Lance. Barring catastrophic injuries they'll win the AFC South but they won't make it to the big dance.

Subvet,

Since you already agree that the Texans will probably win their division & get into the Playoffs this year, the question remains what other AFC rival could knock them out of SB contention? Chiefs? Nope. Matt Cassel is not a franchise QB & he won't ever take Arrowhead to the Promiseland even with defensive minded Romeo Carnell as HC. Patriots? Jerod Mayo is a beast, but I question just how quickly those new defensive acquistions will take to gel & operate as a precision unit & Brady can't win a Lombardi trophy all by himself. Don't believe me, I will get Eli Manning & Justin Tuck on the phone for you...

Both the Ravens & Chargers have a legitimate shot at the big dance no question. No Ed Reed in the secondary & no Terrell Suggs as a pass rusher worry me though personally. Phillip Rivers knows that he has got to win to save Norv Turner's & the GM's job & the window for Championship Greatness for that squad, as it is currently constructed, is beginning to close IMO. Jets? The Sanchez/Tebow train wreck will eventually skid off the tracks & Rex Ryan & GM Mike Tanibum will get fired next year. The Texans are due & it is time to punch their SB ticket to the Bayou. Provide Matt Schabb protection & a consistent ground game & anything can happen in the Playoffs. Look at Eli Manning in 2007. Just my thoughts anyway...

If MS stays healthy they have a shot.Health is key to any team,Ask me week 6 or 7 after i evaluate the talent and chemistry of the rest of the leage and i will let ya know Lol

Jay, I tend to subscribe to this philosophy too. Let me watch 6-7 regular season games first. I don't much stock in wild speculation or game film from last season.

Making predictions almost 4 months ahead of the regular season is like deciding what curtains to put up in a home you haven't even purchased yet, let alone gotten bank loan approval for initially. It's foolish & backwards if you ask me. :facepalm::loco:Intuition is 1 thing; rampant conjecture is quite another in my estimation.

Not even close.

They won't be playing against the second easiest schedule in the league and sneaking up on people this season.

Their offense is old & broke down, and they lost key players along the o-line. Matt Schaub was already the slowest footed QB in the league, and he now has a severe foot injury to recover from. Not to mention he's a complete wuss who freezes up anytime he faces even the slightest bit of pressure.

The rest of the league now has plenty of film to adjust to Wade Phillips defense.

Last year was handed to them on a silver platter, and they still only managed to win the division by one game.

You think all the cards were there for us last year? Obviously not.

I thought we were discussing the Texans, it's a given the Colts were in bad shape last year seeing as they had the worst record in the NFL.

Not even close.

They won't be playing against the second easiest schedule in the league and sneaking up on people this season.

Their offense is old & broke down, and they lost key players along the o-line. Matt Schaub was already the slowest footed QB in the league, and he now has a severe foot injury to recover from. Not to mention he's a complete wuss who freezes up anytime he faces even the slightest bit of pressure.

The rest of the league now has plenty of film to adjust to Wade Phillips defense.

Last year was handed to them on a silver platter, and they still only managed to win the division by one game.

Man, the way you write it, I guess the Colts are pretty bad*** in comparison to the flimsy ol' Texans. :rolleyes:

Subvet,

Since you already agree that the Texans will probably win their division & get into the Playoffs this year, the question remains what other AFC rival could knock them out of SB contention? Chiefs? Nope. Matt Cassel is not a franchise QB & he won't ever take Arrowhead to the Promiseland even with defensive minded Romeo Carnell as HC. Patriots? Jerod Mayo is a beast, but I question just how quickly those new defensive acquistions will take to gel & operate as a precision unit & Brady can't win a Lombardi trophy all by himself. Don't believe me, I will get Eli Manning & Justin Tuck on the phone for you...

Both the Ravens & Chargers have a legitimate shot at the big dance no question. No Ed Reed in the secondary & no Terrell Suggs as a pass rusher worry me though personally. Phillip Rivers knows that he has got to win to save Norv Turner's & the GM's job & the window for Championship Greatness for that squad, as it is currently constructed, is beginning to close IMO. Jets? The Sanchez/Tebow train wreck will eventually skid off the tracks & Rex Ryan & GM Mike Tanibum will get fired next year. The Texans are due & it is time to punch their SB ticket to the Bayou. Provide Matt Schabb protection & a consistent ground game & anything can happen in the Playoffs. Look at Eli Manning in 2007. Just my thoughts anyway...

Every team you mentioned is better than the Texans and add to that list the Broncos. The Texans are 6th or 7th at best and won't get out of the Wildcard round which they will have to play in because they will probably have a 9-7 finish.

Every team you mentioned is better than the Texans and add to that list the Broncos. The Texans are 6th or 7th at best and won't get out of the Wildcard round which they will have to play in because they will probably have a 9-7 finish.

Your "just my opinion" stuff just took a hard left into some pretty strong crystal ball visions there...haters gonna hate.

Your "just my opinion" stuff just took a hard left into some pretty strong crystal ball visions there...haters gonna hate.

Maybe but it wasn't my intent, I don't hate I just don't see the potential in the Texans that some others apparently do.

Yeah, you're right. I did forget to mention the Broncos there. I realized that after I posted my response. Just so you know, I was not dis-respecting the Great Peyton Manning AKA Yoda or Obiwon...I just think 2013 will be his Championship playoff run. A year off the field isn't conducive to sliding right back in the saddle even for the spectacular "Sheriff" as ESPN Monday Night Football Jon Gruden affectionately refers to him. If he defies the odds & proves me wrong, I will be glad for Peyton, but nerve regeneration works on it's own timetable. It can't be rushed or accelerated & he has a year off from real defensive contact too. Game speed contact I mean not training camp contact. The Broncos will make the Playoffs & get knocked off by the Chargers.

The Texans Matt Schaub is a very good QB who often get bypassed or ignored by the masses & I don't know why. He is the real deal & with Foster the Texans are going make some serious noise this year. Don't sleep on the Texans. This squad is smart, tough, they can score points, & they are not intimidated by anybody. They can compete with & crush any team in the AFC & they have a nice mix of youth & veteran leadership on their roster. Vance87's team is a juggernaut any way you slice it IMO.

I need to pay attention, all these replies I've made and I NEVER noticed Vance87 was a Houston fan until I read it in a reply from Southwest1.

My apologies to you Vance, I thought I was just talking to another fanboard member and I never realized I was insulting your favorite team....I wouldn't change my replies but I would make them much more diplomatic when I dissed the Texans.

And while it makes no difference either way, I lived in Dallas from 82-94 and avoided falling in love with the Cowboys during those Super Bowl seasons with Aikman at the helm.

I need to pay attention, all these replies I've made and I NEVER noticed Vance87 was a Houston fan until I read it in a reply from Southwest1.

My apologies to you Vance, I thought I was just talking to another fanboard member and I never realized I was insulting your favorite team....I wouldn't change my replies but I would make them much more diplomatic when I dissed the Texans.

And while it makes no difference either way, I lived in Dallas from 82-94 and avoided falling in love with the Cowboys during those Super Bowl seasons with Aikman at the helm.

Subvet,

Anybody that is a friend of yours on Colts Forum like me knows you are not "a hater" or mean spirited by nature. You are a darn nice guy and a very good NFL analyst too.

Vance87 let me assure you that subvet is a cool guy and a person who never harshly slams any NFL team including your favorite Houston Texans squad.

I respect both your skill sets as talent evaluators and I want the good NFL analysis to continue flowing steady and strong gentlemen.

Subvet and Vance are valued members on here in my book. :thmup:

Man, the way you write it, I guess the Colts are pretty bad*** in comparison to the flimsy ol' Texans. :rolleyes:

Where did I mention the Colts?

Reality check, pal: There is nothing you say here that is any more valid than what I said above. The only thing that will prove me wrong is what actually happens on the field next fall.

Are you serious. Apparently you missed my post just a few above yours where I said this whole Ryans thing is blown out of proportion. I'm also fairly sure you've said that same thing before and I quoted you explaining, again, how only people who don't really know about the Texans thinks this is a big deal.

I've seen every Texans game for the last 4 years... I think I can say I know them pretty well.

I think you undervalue/under appreciate the role of a leader on the defense. Losing a leader leads to inconsistency and unready defenses. On top of that, Ryans is an athletic freak who is great in coverage. That's gonna hurt, especially since Bradie James is no where near as good as Ryans in coverage. His tackling is also very solid, and we've seen that in the past. Last year was a bit of an off year, but he had an impact. Even Wade Phillips said he was a "real solid player" or a "hard worker".

That defense won't be as good as it was this year. I'd like you to also watch the Eagles defense this year, and see how he does. Demeco is a freak athlete who can play in any defense.

Where did I mention the Colts?

Reality check, pal: There is nothing you say here that is any more valid than what I said above. The only thing that will prove me wrong is what actually happens on the field next fall.....so until then, there is nothing you can say that can prove anything I say is wrong.

Alright buddy, well call the NFL, because the definition of "offense" has been changed to maybe two guys who have had injury problems. According to you, anyway.

And that "wuss" comment is flat out dumb.

I'd love to hear your comments on the current Colts team...for some reason I feel like it'd be a little bit brighter than your comments towards a team that many say is one of the best in the AFC. Just a hunch.

I've seen every Texans game for the last 4 years... I think I can say I know them pretty well.

I think you undervalue/under appreciate the role of a leader on the defense. Losing a leader leads to inconsistency and unready defenses. On top of that, Ryans is an athletic freak who is great in coverage. That's gonna hurt, especially since Bradie James is no where near as good as Ryans in coverage. His tackling is also very solid, and we've seen that in the past. Last year was a bit of an off year, but he had an impact. Even Wade Phillips said he was a "real solid player" or a "hard worker".

That defense won't be as good as it was this year. I'd like you to also watch the Eagles defense this year, and see how he does. Demeco is a freak athlete who can play in any defense.

I think you consistently overvalue Ryans...you keep doing it...if he was an "athletic freak" who can play in any defense, he would have played in a bit more than 1st and 2nd downs. I already said he'd have a good year with the Eagles because he'd be back in a 4-3 system (You're a reporter, right? This is the 4th or 5th time you've missed me say something. You gotta pay attention more.)

And for what it's worth, Reggie Herring has already said they gained what they lost "and more" with picking up James. Reporting isn't a buffet line; you can't pick and choose what comments you want in order to make your point, while ignoring others that state the contrary. Even though that seems to be politics 101...

Alright buddy, well call the NFL, because the definition of "offense" has been changed to maybe two guys who have had injury problems. According to you, anyway.

And that "wuss" comment is flat out dumb.

I'd love to hear your comments on the current Colts team...for some reason I feel like it'd be a little bit brighter than your comments towards a team that many say is one of the best in the AFC. Just a hunch.

Feel free to access the Colts forum. My comments on the Colts team are all over the place. Not that it has anything whatsoever to do with this thread. But, knock yourself out and read all you want. They are certainly over there.

If you're so confident about how good the Texans will be next year, and it's such a consensus that they'll be good, why does it bother you so much that I think they'll finish with their usual 6 or 7 wins next year?

Feel free to access the Colts forum. My comments on the Colts team are all over the place. Not that it has anything whatsoever to do with this thread. But, knock yourself out and read all you want. They are certainly over there.

If you're so confident about how good the Texans will be next year, and it's such a consensus that they'll be good, why does it bother you so much that I think they'll finish with their usual 6 or 7 wins next year?

It doesn't bother me really, I just stick up for my team...but don't act like your opinions are based on any sort of facts...they're just your opinions.

Hey if the division can be won with 9 games then the Colts better try to get in on this thing in the next few years!

But, in reality 9-7 can you the darn Super Bowl now if you peak at the right time.

It doesn't bother me really, I just stick up for my team...but don't act like your opinions are based on any sort of facts...they're just your opinions.

Fact: You're top 3 offensive players all missed multiple games last year due to injury. Why don't you tell us the exact number of quarters that those 3 played together last year, just to hammer this point home?

Fact: You lost 2 starters off of your offensive line.

Fact: There is more film out there of a Wade Phillips coached Texan defense than there was at this time last year.

Fact: You played the 2nd easiest schedule in the league last year.

My opinion, based on the above facts: The Texans will win between 5-8 games next year.....like they usually do.

Good Night.

If I had to choose one, the only team that we would lose to more often than not at this point would be the Ravens.

And who is your top 5? Even if I hold off on listing the Texans for as long as I can, I can't do it. Ravens, Steelers (God), Pats, Broncos (with that STELLAR defense), who is 5??

The Chargers

Hey if the division can be won with 9 games then the Colts better try to get in on this thing in the next few years!

But, in reality 9-7 can you the darn Super Bowl now if you peak at the right time.

Yup, it's not the speed at which the Texans fly out of the gates; It's never how you start. It's how you finish. Lighting the fuse at the right time in the Playoffs makes all the difference in the world.

Fact: You're top 3 offensive players all missed multiple games last year due to injury. Why don't you tell us the exact number of quarters that those 3 played together last year, just to hammer this point home?

Schaub was injured by another player. He's not young but he's not old, especially for a QB. Foster missed a game and a half and he's 24. Are we gonna have to change the definition of "old" and "broken" to fit Foster in there? Lol. AJ is the only one who I would say is old and has had injury problems.

Yeah, except like I've already said (honestly, you guys keep repeating yourselves or just ignore what I write), Caldwell is replacing Brisiel, who started all 16 games the year Foster had his rushing title, and no doubt Winston was solid but we drafted and signed 5 O-lineman for a reason.

Fact: There is more film out there of a Wade Phillips coached Texan defense than there was at this time last year.

Doesn't mean ****, you don't become one of the best D coordinators in the league without making changes. By that assumption, everyone will figure out Pagano's Colt defense because he was with the Ravens last year.

And probably would have been 13-3, at least 12-4 if Schaub didn't get injured by a dirty player in the pile.

My opinion, based on the above facts: The Texans will win between 5-8 games next year.....like they usually do.

Your opinion is noted, and laughed at.

Good Night.

Sleep tight.

Good Night.

And despite those injuries and a ridiculously short offseason, we still rose to the challenge, went to the playoffs, and had the best, at one point second-best, defense in the league. People had plenty tape of Pagano's defense in Baltimore too, and look where they still are...And Wade is better than him by the way. Look at our schedule now buddy and most will agree with me...We will win at least 11 games. Now there's a fact for you.

And despite those injuries and a ridiculously short offseason, we still rose to the challenge, went to the playoffs, and had the best, at one point second-best, defense in the league. People had plenty tape of Pagano's defense in Baltimore too, and look where they still are...And Wade is better than him by the way. Look at our schedule now buddy and most will agree with me...We will win at least 11 games. Now there's a fact for you.

You will win no more than 7 games. Now there's a fact for you.

You will win no more than 7 games. Now there's a fact for you.

And now we have a complete breakdown, LOL. You see, it didn't take long before you revealed your true colors...you're just a Texan hater. How small of you, sir.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, June 3, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by 21isSuperman, June 3, 2012 - inflammatory

Isn't it amusing that Texan fans can't handle people pointing out valid areas of concern for their 2012 team?

And these two genius Texan fans who are posting in this thread are like little kids putting their fingers in their ears and screaming because they don't like what they are hearing.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, June 3, 2012 - response to hidden post
Hidden by 21isSuperman, June 3, 2012 - response to hidden post

Isn't it amusing that Texan fans can't handle people pointing out valid areas of concern for their 2012 team?

And these two genius Texan fans who are posting in this thread are like little kids putting their fingers in their ears and screaming because they don't like what they are hearing.

You're the one that started us down this road, with your "I don't care what you say, Texans won't win more than 7 games" shenanigans. The funny thing is, the "I'm not listening" stuff is exactly what you're doing to me and Qwiz. I countered all of your facts and all you could muster was "Uhh well that's all conjecture". I mean, come on. You can't do better than that? I'm all for an intelligent debate but I can't do that if my counterpoints are met with unrelenting bias.