Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No More 290 LB Guards!

The Peytonator

Just took myself a gander at the current roster on the website......

Justin Anderson - 342 lbs

Hayworth Hicks - 336 lbs

Ben Ijalana - 337 lbs

Mike McGlynn - 327 lbs

Joe Reitz - 322 lbs

I know being big isn't the be-all/end-all for being a good OG, but I sure do like the fact that none of those guys are 290 lb Kyle DeVan's. When your linemen are required to move around 350 lb Vince Wilforks, it sure does help to weigh a little more.

Hayworth Hicks - 336 lbs

Ben Ijalana - 337 lbs

Mike McGlynn - 327 lbs

Joe Reitz - 322 lbs

I know being big isn't the be-all/end-all for being a good OG, but I sure do like the fact that none of those guys are 290 lb Kyle DeVan's. When your linemen are required to move around 350 lb Vince Wilforks, it sure does help to weigh a little more.

Add Mike Tepper. He was not good at T last year and now he weighs 354 lbs which is G weight. Linkenbach has added about 12 lbs up to 323. Costanzo is up 10 lbs to 315. Justice is new at T and weighs 319 so hopefully the line is bigger and stronger. Jake kirkpatrick at 296 and Samson Satele at 299 are still small at C.

Hayworth Hicks - 336 lbs

Ben Ijalana - 337 lbs

Mike McGlynn - 327 lbs

Joe Reitz - 322 lbs

You forgot Jamie Thomas - 330...

Not trying to be sarcastic, just pointing out size means nothing if you don't have the talent. All of our big OGs need to prove they do.

Hayworth Hicks - 336 lbs

Ben Ijalana - 337 lbs

Mike McGlynn - 327 lbs

Joe Reitz - 322 lbs

It's like sumo wrestlers, weight and muscle has the advantage.

You forgot Jamie Thomas - 330...

Not trying to be sarcastic, just pointing out size means nothing if you don't have the talent. All of our big OGs need to prove they do.

If you watch Thomas' Maryland tape and Hicks' Iowa St tape it appears Hicks is a far better college player than Thomas. Also the Colts offensive scheme appears to be different now than when Thomas played. Our Ol coach wanted smaller faster players who could pass block. The emphasis now seems to be on bigger and stronger players who can run block. It seemed Peyton's quick release helped those supposedly fast OL.

Another thing, when I look at our Dlinemen we appear to have added significant girth.

Nevis - 310

Moala - 310

Ogbu - 305

Redding - 315

I have a pretty good memory, plus you could say I'm pretty obsessive about football. Those guys were all under 300 last year. I do know weight listings aren't always accurate....Vince Wilfork 325 LOL. But I do like that we won't be seeing Keyunta Dawson 250 lb DTs anymore.....yes, I realize that was not by design at the time, but still.....

I'm in the minority camp in this thread.....

To me, while size is always important, ultimately the game is about speed, quickness and movement.... so at some point, a player can be too big. What that point is, what's too heavy, is open to debate. Everyone has a different opinion...

Personally, to me, I think anything over 325 is ultimately too much. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule. Always have been, always will be. We can name the best jumbo-sized players. But for the vast majority of lineman, I think they lose some effectiveness above 325.

So, I'd love to have **most** of our OL capped at 325. Perhaps there are one or two who are exceptions.

And, our DL I think would be fine in the 290-300 range. Those numbers are usually fine for a 3-4 dl, the NT is the exception. There's your spot for a 325 guy.... and yes, McKinney (sp?) might be the exception. You need size in the middle to anchor... I think the rookie, Anderson is fine at 315 because he's short, a tick under 6'1".

I'm not looking for small. I don't want under 300 on the OL. But I like to find the best of both worlds (call it a Hybrid if you will) so I can have mass plus as much speed and quickness as I can get. For me, that's the winning formula...

NewColtsFan

I cant wait till the Colts come to my home town when they begin practice so I can see what both the offensive line and defensive line can do, not to mention what our linebackers can do in this new defense

I'm in the minority camp in this thread.....

To me, while size is always important, ultimately the game is about speed, quickness and movement.... so at some point, a player can be too big. What that point is, what's too heavy, is open to debate. Everyone has a different opinion...

Personally, to me, I think anything over 325 is ultimately too much. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule. Always have been, always will be. We can name the best jumbo-sized players. But for the vast majority of lineman, I think they lose some effectiveness above 325.

So, I'd love to have **most** of our OL capped at 325. Perhaps there are one or two who are exceptions.

And, our DL I think would be fine in the 290-300 range. Those numbers are usually fine for a 3-4 dl, the NT is the exception. There's your spot for a 325 guy.... and yes, McKinney (sp?) might be the exception. You need size in the middle to anchor... I think the rookie, Anderson is fine at 315 because he's short, a tick under 6'1".

I'm not looking for small. I don't want under 300 on the OL. But I like to find the best of both worlds (call it a Hybrid if you will) so I can have mass plus as much speed and quickness as I can get. For me, that's the winning formula...

NewColtsFan

Agreed- I think a line between 300 and 330 is the sweet spot for balancing size, quickness, and conditioning. The C can be a few pounds lighter if necessary. Give me a 320 pounder who can get to the second level consistently over a 345 pound wall anyday. As you said, there are exceptions to the rule, too, but it's a good general range.

My guess is that some of those higher numbers will start dropping once the preseason/training camp hits, too. They'll lose weight during that process, so it's not uncommon for players (particularly linemen) to bulk up before the season starts as a preventive measure. That way they don't end up too light once the season starts.

If you watch Thomas' Maryland tape and Hicks' Iowa St tape it appears Hicks is a far better college player than Thomas. Also the Colts offensive scheme appears to be different now than when Thomas played. Our Ol coach wanted smaller faster players who could pass block. The emphasis now seems to be on bigger and stronger players who can run block. It seemed Peyton's quick release helped those supposedly fast OL.

All good points. I'm just trying to say that just because we now have bigger guys we still don't know if they're talented. Being big is meaningless if you're not mobile. Reitz looked pretty good, all things considered. The rest of that group is very iffy. So far.

It's like sumo wrestlers, weight and muscle has the advantage.

Sometimes Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Jeff Saturday have all proven that you can have a very nice career and be undersized. Sometimes speed can off-set that. At the end of the day it comes down to how much talent does someone have not so much their size. If a player has enough talent they are going to be good rather they are big or small for their poistion. Size alone does not promise a player will be great.

I cant wait till the Colts come to my home town when they begin practice so I can see what both the offensive line and defensive line can do, not to mention what our linebackers can do in this new defense

Lol, I feel you. But you know Angerer is gonna show off now. Eversince Brackett got Injured & he took over as Defensive Leader, he's really been a Great assest to the team. I love his Leadership Qualities. He could very well be the Ray Lewis of the Colts (Leadership Wise)

Lol, I feel you. But you know Angerer is gonna show off now. Eversince Brackett got Injured & he took over as Defensive Leader, he's really been a Great assest to the team. I love his Leadership Qualities. He could very well be the Ray Lewis of the Colts (Leadership Wise)

Could be, he had a great year and I believe he has a great chance to do something similar with Mckinney at defensive tackle but we shall see, Mckinney while he did come from the Ravens is largely unproven so we shall see, I would also like to see what Chigbo can do at Nose Tackle, hes a big guy to. what I am really looking forward to is seeing how well Freeney and Mathis do in this new system

Could be, he had a great year and I believe he has a great chance to do something similar with Mckinney at defensive tackle but we shall see, Mckinney while he did come from the Ravens is largely unproven so we shall see, I would also like to see what Chigbo can do at Nose Tackle, hes a big guy to. what I am really looking forward to is seeing how well Freeney and Mathis do in this new system

Totally agree. Don't forget about Nevis & Chapman to at NT or wherever we put them lol. Freeney & Mathis defintely have their hands full this year, but I'm sure they'll do what the coaches expect them to do. I want to see who our #2 CB iis gonna be. Either Thomas, Rucker, Chism, or Vaughn

Totally agree. Don't forget about Nevis & Chapman to at NT or wherever we put them lol. Freeney & Mathis defintely have their hands full this year, but I'm sure they'll do what the coaches expect them to do. I want to see who our #2 CB iis gonna be. Either Thomas, Rucker, Chism, or Vaughn

Nevis is a defensive end in my opinion in a 3-4 but is listed as defensive tackle, that tells me we will give other teams multiple looks and rotating guys, I could be way off though, I bet our #2 Corner will be Thomas but Id like Chism to get a shot to

Nevis is a defensive end in my opinion in a 3-4 but is listed as defensive tackle, that tells me we will give other teams multiple looks and rotating guys, I could be way off though, I bet our #2 Corner will be Thomas but Id like Chism to get a shot to

Idk, if I'm not mistakeing... LSU runs a 3-4 & he was a NT there. But i'm not sure what they run. But I'm sure he could play DE. He's Physical, Nasty, & gets a good jump of the ball. And I see us rotating too which will throw a few offenses off balance. then with Redding playing DE also, a lot of people may be rotating around

Idk, if I'm not mistakeing... LSU runs a 3-4 & he was a NT there. But i'm not sure what they run. But I'm sure he could play DE. He's Physical, Nasty, & gets a good jump of the ball. And I see us rotating too which will throw a few offenses off balance. then with Redding playing DE also, a lot of people may be rotating around

looks like they ran both, Im not sure

You need size in the middle to anchor... I think the rookie, Anderson is fine at 315 because he's short, a tick under 6'1".

NewColtsFan

AHHHHHH! Gahhhhhh!! Brain Fart! I **hate** when that happens! Not Anderson. Chapman! I didn't see a place to edit my mistake out, so I'm quoting myself to call attention to my own mistake. Ironic as Chapman is one of my favorite draft picks. LOVE the kid. Just love him. Think he was the right guy at the right draft spot. Maybe now I'll remember his name the next time I reference him! <<DOH!!>> :facepalm::loco::eek:

NCF

The Colts haven't had 290lb guards since they got rid of Lilja. Pollack was 310, Reitz was 320lb, evan Devan was 300.

It's because of the size of the olineman they've been signing why I believe the Colts are transitioning from a zone blocking to a man blocking. For zone blocking you need to smaller lineman because they typically have the lower body agility to move around, laterally, in the zone. With man blocking you worry less about the agility and more about power and straight line quickness.

Nevis is a defensive end in my opinion in a 3-4 but is listed as defensive tackle,

Not sure what this has to do with the olineman but Nevis is listed as a DT because he's a defensive tackle. If you watch Pagano's D last year, for the three downlineman he has a DE who lines up from between the G/T to outside tackle shoulder on the weakside. A NT who can line up anywhere from between the LG/C to between the RG/C and a DT and then a DT who can line up anywhere from directly over the OT to between the T/G on the strong side.

The Colts haven't had 290lb guards since they got rid of Lilja. Pollack was 310, Reitz was 320lb, evan Devan was 300.

It's because of the size of the olineman they've been signing why I believe the Colts are transitioning from a zone blocking to a man blocking. For zone blocking you need to smaller lineman because they typically have the lower body agility to move around, laterally, in the zone. With man blocking you worry less about the agility and more about power and straight line quickness.

So do you think Reitz will still be our LG?

He isn't exactly a 'prototypical' man blocking specimen, but I feel he's a better Guard than McGlynn.....although we haven't seen him play, he hasn't really been able to hold down even a roster spot in his stints. I loved the way Reitz looked last year, and his background makes it even more impressive.

So do you think Reitz will still be our LG?

He isn't exactly a 'prototypical' man blocking specimen, but I feel he's a better Guard than McGlynn.....although we haven't seen him play, he hasn't really been able to hold down even a roster spot in his stints. I loved the way Reitz looked last year, and his background makes it even more impressive.

I think Reitz has as good a chance as any. I thought he showed some good things last year but I was a little disappointed in his lack of power at the POA.

The thing that I could see that would knock Reitz from that starting LG spot is Ijalana. He was a LT for 4 years in college and the Colts tried to make him a RT last year. Most people don't understand how difficult it is to erase years (literally tens of thousands of plays) of muscle memory and do everything the exact opposite. That is why I think he looked pretty good playing LT last year. So with that being, I think if he shows he's ready to be a starter, that LG will be a natural position for him, much more natural than RT or RG.

Not sure what this has to do with the olineman but Nevis is listed as a DT because he's a defensive tackle. If you watch Pagano's D last year, for the three downlineman he has a DE who lines up from between the G/T to outside tackle shoulder on the weakside. A NT who can line up anywhere from between the LG/C to between the RG/C and a DT and then a DT who can line up anywhere from directly over the OT to between the T/G on the strong side.

apparently you did not bother to read the above comment Knight made in your successful attempt to single me out, he brought up Nevis so I said what I felt about it, With that said Im sure Mods can move a comment if they dont feel it needs to be in this forum, it was a comment not a full blown dicussion, I see no need for "wrong thread" police other then mods

apparently you did not bother to read the above comment Knight made in your successful attempt to single me out,

No, I read the comment about the weight of the DT. I wasn't singling you out, as you can see I answered your question, that is why I quoted you.
he brought up Nevis so I said what I felt about it, With that said Im sure Mods can move a comment if they dont feel it needs to be in this forum, it was a comment not a full blown dicussion, I see no need for "wrong thread" police other then mods

My word quit your crying. I stated, I quoted you because I answered your question.

I think Reitz has as good a chance as any. I thought he showed some good things last year but I was a little disappointed in his lack of power at the POA.

The thing that I could see that would knock Reitz from that starting LG spot is Ijalana. He was a LT for 4 years in college and the Colts tried to make him a RT last year. Most people don't understand how difficult it is to erase years (literally tens of thousands of plays) of muscle memory and do everything the exact opposite. That is why I think he looked pretty good playing LT last year. So with that being, I think if he shows he's ready to be a starter, that LG will be a natural position for him, much more natural than RT or RG.

Yeah, I've pretty much had an Oline projection of Castonzo, Reitz, Satele, Ijalana, and Justice, penciled in for next year. I agree that it would be easier for a former LT to play LG than playing on the right side. Ideally, I would like to see Reitz get a little stronger without losing any of his athleticism. For being as lanky as he is though, I was impressed with his power.

Either way, I want to see some consistency along that front. The musical chairs act has to stop. Coaches have to allow the line to develop chemistry. I'm glad we're done with the days of Jamey Richard, Old Ryan Diem, and hopefully Jeff Linkenbach in his extended role.

No, I read the comment about the weight of the DT. I wasn't singling you out, as you can see I answered your question, that is why I quoted you.

My word quit your crying. I stated, I quoted you because I answered your question.

My point being I see no need for you to play the mod police or anyone else that isn't a mod, I made one comment about Nevis as did Knight, you and I have gotten along well so far, no need to get in a heated discussion or debate over the issue, yes I posted my response in the wrong thread I clearly acknowledge that, question is.....Does multiple people have to police it who aren't Mods?

Yeah, I've pretty much had an Oline projection of Castonzo, Reitz, Satele, Ijalana, and Justice, penciled in for next year. I agree that it would be easier for a former LT to play LG than playing on the right side. Ideally, I would like to see Reitz get a little stronger without losing any of his athleticism. For being as lanky as he is though, I was impressed with his power.

Either way, I want to see some consistency along that front. The musical chairs act has to stop. Coaches have to allow the line to develop chemistry. I'm glad we're done with the days of Jamey Richard, Old Ryan Diem, and hopefully Jeff Linkenbach in his extended role.

satele at center and mcglynn at right guard are a done deal. if healthy ijalana is either the right tackle or left guard.

Costanzo at LT, Ijalana at LG, Satele at C, McGlynn at RG, and Justice at RT seems the most likely group. At least now the line has competition. The last few years it did not seem we had enough to field a starting 5 let alone competition.

My point being I see no need for you to play the mod police or anyone else that isn't a mod, I made one comment about Nevis as did Knight, you and I have gotten along well so far, no need to get in a heated discussion or debate over the issue, yes I posted my response in the wrong thread I clearly acknowledge that, question is.....Does multiple people have to police it who aren't Mods?

A few comments to your ramblings

1) I used to be a mod, so old habits die hard

2) I was not policing. Policing it would be, you should start a new thread, or this doesn't belong here. I was acknowledging that my response was in the wrong thread when I answered your question about Nevis being listed as DT.

3) Quit your crying about it already. You took my response in a manner that it was not intended.

Costanzo at LT, Ijalana at LG, Satele at C, McGlynn at RG, and Justice at RT seems the most likely group. At least now the line has competition. The last few years it did not seem we had enough to field a starting 5 let alone competition.

personally i think reitz would be terrific at right tackle. great length. it's a new staff. i'm sure the moves grigson has made gives us a good idea of the direction they're heading.