Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RB Competition

atapcl

Donald Brown 5-10 210

Delone Carter 5-9 225

Vick Ballard 5-10 217

Diji Kareem 5-8 209

Darren Evans 6-0 220

Who will start and who will be cut? Brown was on the Heavyweights on 5/18/12 and stated he was looking forward to carrying a bigger role in 2012. He has worked hard and seems more mature. Kareem is the fastest and can return kicks. Maybe Kareem could play a Darren Sproles role.Ballard is tied with Evans as the slowest but fared well in the tough SEC putting up numbers comparable to Trent Richardson. Ballard also seems to carry the ball in his left hand all the time which can be a problem when he runs to his right. Carter has explosive power but has nursed a thumb injury in camps so far and already had a fumbling problem last year. Evans has excellent vission but seems like the most likely to be cut. If the Colts keep a FB will two RBs be cut or 1?

I say we start BenJarvus Green-Ellis who we picked up in free agency... Wait, I can't find him on our roster! WHA!?!

Oh well, let's start Joseph Addai. Wait, I can't find him on our roster either! WHA!?!

Sigh, very well... Let's start the guy who tripped during the 40-yd dash. At least he will elicit a few laughs out of our team.

Brown will start the season as the starter with Carter as the short yardage/change of pace guy.............Ballard will start the season as the third down back and gradually earn a bigger role AND then next year be the starter!

Evans will probably end up on the practice squad (again) and Karim will be cut as we already have two WR's and two SS"s that can return kicks!

The battle between Gronkowski and Mahaffey will be interesting.............I think if both are healthy that Mahaffey will be retained and Gronk will be cut!

But, I'm sure its an open competition in camp! LOL

I honestly don't think it matters who starts at RB in the NFL anymore. Most teams have a run by committee type of offense it seems. As long as we have a decent enough run game to keep Luck from getting completely destroyed, I am happy. I know we will probably down a lot in games this year a lot so we will definitely be throwing the ball a lot, but any help that Luck can get will be good for his development

Brown will be the starter, like all things NFL style comes and goes... who starts at RB matters, the colts were best at running the ball with edge who had no running back committee and was a great back... brown has the ability to be a really good back for the colts.

I say we start BenJarvus Green-Ellis who we picked up in free agency... Wait, I can't find him on our roster! WHA!?!

Oh well, let's start Joseph Addai. Wait, I can't find him on our roster either! WHA!?!

Sigh, very well... Let's start the guy who tripped during the 40-yd dash. At least he will elicit a few laughs out of our team.

Whoa there fella, you're riding the heck out of this whole trip thing. I am willing to bet that, during your entire livelihood, you've never once, ever, made a mistake.

I can't even begin to imagine how nerve racking something like the combine would be. Yet, some fan is willing to jump all over a guy because of something as simple as tripping... well, that's pretty laughable. Enjoy watching the game from your couch as Ballard works to improve on his career at being an NFL RB. Pretty sure he'd be laughing at whatever it is you do as well... no, scratch that, he probably has a bit more respect for people than that. Yeesh, get over yourself.

given our past history with a finesse driven, zone blocking, and stretch play running game, it would'nt matter if we had adrian petersen back there. we have a brand new, untested OL. we have a new off coord who has a pass happy history himself. we are not a physical, smash-mouth team, especially up front. and you don't get that way wishing for things to change......

I think Brown will likely get the start but after that I think we won't be able to determine what happens with the rest until some preseason games. Obviously Ballard has a head up on the rest because he was drafted by this staff and has a long term deal so he is likely on the squad unless something crazy happens. I actually think he could see a lot of playing time by the end of the year. The third back will be tough to say. Carter and Karim will battle it out I think. Karim may have an advantage because of his special teams abilities. To be honest I really don't want to see Z or Hilton returning a lot of kicks. Hilton perhaps punts when we need a big play but I don't like risking them to injury as I think they will play an important part of our offense and defense.

Preseason will indeed have a lot of significance this year.

Donald Brown 5-10 210

Delone Carter 5-9 225

Vick Ballard 5-10 217

Diji Kareem 5-8 209

Darren Evans 6-0 220

Who will start and who will be cut? Brown was on the Heavyweights on 5/18/12 and stated he was looking forward to carrying a bigger role in 2012. He has worked hard and seems more mature. Kareem is the fastest and can return kicks. Maybe Kareem could play a Darren Sproles role.Ballard is tied with Evans as the slowest but fared well in the tough SEC putting up numbers comparable to Trent Richardson. Ballard also seems to carry the ball in his left hand all the time which can be a problem when he runs to his right. Carter has explosive power but has nursed a thumb injury in camps so far and already had a fumbling problem last year. Evans has excellent vission but seems like the most likely to be cut. If the Colts keep a FB will two RBs be cut or 1?

I think Kareem will be cut. He didnt fare to well with Jacksonville and we have Special teams guys in T.Y, Hilton and Brazill. Not to take a stab at the OP but even thinking Kareem can be like Darren Sproles is far fetched. But nevertheless should be an interesting running back competition. I predict 1:Brown 2:Carter 3:Evans and Practice Squad Ballard.

I think Kareem will be cut. He didnt fare to well with Jacksonville and we have Special teams guys in T.Y, Hilton and Brazill. Not to take a stab at the OP but even thinking Kareem can be like Darren Sproles is far fetched. But nevertheless should be an interesting running back competition. I predict 1:Brown 2:Carter 3:Evans and Practice Squad Ballard.

We aren't going to put a guy we just signed to a 4 year deal on the practice squad. He would be free to sign with any team in the NFL if he was signed to a roster so that isn't going to happen. Evans was on the practice squad last year and likely again this year....and Carter could be there with him if he doesn't improve his fumbling problems. Kareem is definatley not Sproles but it is not certain that Hilton or Brazill will be returning kicks. They have that ability but also may have more importance to Arians offense and he may not want to risk them in the return game. Most teams have a dedicated return man...we may go that route or yes we may see one of those guys be it. To me Hilton is too valuable to be handling ALL the return duties as he has had injury issues and I think he will be heavily involved this year in the offense. Brazill I haven't seen his return capabilities to say they are better than Kareems. Kareem has a chance for this team...and its on ST. Evans can't say that and Ballard was drafted to play...not sit.

We aren't going to put a guy we just signed to a 4 year deal on the practice squad. He would be free to sign with any team in the NFL if he was signed to a roster so that isn't going to happen. Evans was on the practice squad last year and likely again this year....and Carter could be there with him if he doesn't improve his fumbling problems. Kareem is definatley not Sproles but it is not certain that Hilton or Brazill will be returning kicks. They have that ability but also may have more importance to Arians offense and he may not want to risk them in the return game. Most teams have a dedicated return man...we may go that route or yes we may see one of those guys be it. To me Hilton is too valuable to be handling ALL the return duties as he has had injury issues and I think he will be heavily involved this year in the offense. Brazill I haven't seen his return capabilities to say they are better than Kareems. Kareem has a chance for this team...and its on ST. Evans can't say that and Ballard was drafted to play...not sit.

Carter is not eligible for the PS because he was active in too many games this year.

I am going to go out on a limb and say, I think Carter is going to be the #2 back at the start of the season. But if he goes through the preseason and the games up to the bye week without a fumble, I think he will be the #1 back after the bye.

People look at his bowling ball type body and think power back, and he does have good power, but he also showed to be an extremely shifter runner with excellent balance and lower body agility.

Carter is not eligible for the PS because he was active in too many games this year.

I am going to go out on a limb and say, I think Carter is going to be the #2 back at the start of the season. But if he goes through the preseason and the games up to the bye week without a fumble, I think he will be the #1 back after the bye.

People look at his bowling ball type body and think power back, and he does have good power, but he also showed to be an extremely shifter runner with excellent balance and lower body agility.

Yeah, Carter is no slouch. He was very effective until he started putting the ball on the turf. Deceptive speed in the open field, good vision for a rookie, finished runs well, etc. I still like Donald Brown a lot more than most, but we will definitely have a platoon at running back, 60/40 at most, probably closer than that.

Yeah, Carter is no slouch. He was very effective until he started putting the ball on the turf. Deceptive speed in the open field, good vision for a rookie, finished runs well, etc. I still like Donald Brown a lot more than most, but we will definitely have a platoon at running back, 60/40 at most, probably closer than that.

Just so I'm not labeled a Brown hater. I am interested to see what Brown can do behind this new line. From the players they are signing etc it appears they are going to be doing more man blocking rather than zone blocking. And I have long stated that I think Brown could excel behind a man blocking scheme, it suits his strengths better and helps to minimize his weaknesses.

Good point but those rookie contrats all are 4 year deals someone like DE/LB Tim Fugger signed a 4 yr deal as well does that mean hes automatically guarenteed a roster spot? Imo later rd picks especially arent guarenteed like Ballard. I def agree with your points about Hilton and Brazill in Arians offense I might have some sort of bias towards Kareem. I watched him extensively in Jacksonville and wasnt impressed at all.

Donald Brown 5-10 210

Delone Carter 5-9 225

Vick Ballard 5-10 217

Diji Kareem 5-8 209

Darren Evans 6-0 220

According to Colts.com Carter is now up to 238lbs and Evans at 232. That is big enough to play FB which could make our FBs expendable.

Good point but those rookie contrats all are 4 year deals someone like DE/LB Tim Fugger signed a 4 yr deal as well does that mean hes automatically guarenteed a roster spot? Imo later rd picks especially arent guarenteed like Ballard. I def agree with your points about Hilton and Brazill in Arians offense I might have some sort of bias towards Kareem. I watched him extensively in Jacksonville and wasnt impressed at all.

Not at all. Really, no one is guaranteed a roster spot, although a portion of their compensation can be guaranteed. Usually, a 7th round pick will have a small signing bonus ($50k), which is guaranteed and paid upfront, and then the rest of the contract is non-guaranteed.

Donald Brown 5-10 210

Delone Carter 5-9 225

Vick Ballard 5-10 217

Diji Kareem 5-8 209

Darren Evans 6-0 220

hmm, this is a very pedestrian list. It's quite sad really.

I remember the days when we used to draft elite RB like Faulk or James. Great blockers, some of the best at receiving the pass out of the backfield in history. Plus they get like 1500-1700 rushing yards. Or at least 1200+. All this plus Peyton still would get his 4k passing.

our current RB's are really not that good. Plain and simple. Give them the best O-Line ever and they still won't be good.

Didn't Pagano say that he's bringing back the 2 back attack. So...

Brown and Carter splitting snaps with Brown getting the slight nod

Ballard is the 3rd stringer, Evans either 4th string or PS, with Karim being cut.

HOWEVER, I could definitely see Vick Ballard starting by mid-season, kid has potential!