Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quote thread

Warhorse

If they said it about the Colts, and you think it might be worth revisiting later, put it here.

I'll start off with a Jason Cole beauty:

Grade: B

Analysis: The Colts took the safer of the two quarterbacks at the top of the draft in Luck, getting a guy who has more understanding of the pro game. That said, it's a fair bet that Griffin will be the better player over the length of their respective careers. Luck will probably never be a bad player and will likely be a 10-year starter in the league. Fleener and Allen were strong picks in the second and third rounds, particularly in a year when top tight ends weren't that available (there were only 14 tight ends at the NFL scouting combine in February). Hilton is a great speed guy, but he's really skinny and could get hammered by average cornerbacks until he learns how to get away from press coverage.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter King's comments:

Tough duty ahead for Luck, who'll be fortunate in 2012 to win as many games as the Colts' last No. 1 overall, Peyton Manning, did as a rookie in 1998 (three). Indy has been stripped bare of stars (except for graybeards Reggie Wayne, 33, and Dwight Freeney, 32) and needs to be sure it doesn't overhype Luck's arrival. It'll be a long road back to the playoffs.

From Michael Silver:

After three days of immersing myself in the drafts trans-formative power, here's how I see the NFL's food chain – more than four months before the real games begin.

You'll notice that, as is customary, the defending champs are respectfully lodged in the penthouse, while the league's reigning doormats are disrespectfully stashed in the cellar.

32. Indianapolis Colts: Now that former Stanford tight end Coby Fleener has successfully convinced an NFL team he was worthy of being selected with the 34th overall pick, will he grow his hair out and lose the whole Rob Gronkowski impersonation bit?

:facepalm: Everyone seems to think speed = potential apparently. Scrambling QBs generally have much shorter and less successful careers, just ask... Well, nearly every scrambler selected round 1. RG3 could be the exception, but to say that the obviously inferior college prospect will probably be better, when it's a much safer bet that the opposite will be true, is *ic. Good thread btw.

Mike Freeman:

It's going to be a brutal rookie season for Andrew Luck. There is no other way around it. He's going to be brutalized beginning in Week 1.

Luck will begin his NFL career in Chicago which is just plain mean. And he will be the starter barring some sort of injury or asteroid striking the planet. He will debut on an awful team with a bad offensive line, crappy defense and new coaching staff.

It's not that the Colts have a tough schedule it's just that every team they will face is better than them.

Luck may face the kind of rookie season that Troy Aikman did in Dallas his rookie year when he won a single game and was beaten up like he was in a Muay Thai fight.

If they said it about the Colts, and you think it might be worth revisiting later, put it here.

Analysis: The Colts took the safer of the two quarterbacks at the top of the draft in Luck, getting a guy who has more understanding of the pro game. That said, it's a fair bet that Griffin will be the better player over the length of their respective careers. Luck will probably never be a bad player and will likely be a 10-year starter in the league. Fleener and Allen were strong picks in the second and third rounds, particularly in a year when top tight ends weren't that available (there were only 14 tight ends at the NFL scouting combine in February). Hilton is a great speed guy, but he's really skinny and could get hammered by average cornerbacks until he learns how to get away from press coverage.

It amazes me how people can make the claim RG3 will have a better long-term career than Andrew Luck. I'm not arguing directly with you or anything, just in general. But according to RG3 believers, because Luck already plays at a professional level, and RG3 doesn't, Luck will somehow cease to further his learning in an NFL environment, while RG3 will rapidly outpace him? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. And then comes the argument about how RG3 is stepping into a better situation than Luck. Really? He's coming to a team that mortgaged three first round picks and a second round pick all for him? That's four starting-caliber players they gave up for one player. The Colts gave up nothing for Luck, and easily have better weapons now (post-draft) than the Redskins have.

Think about who the Redskins acquired; our former butter-fingers WR Garcon, Josh Morgan, a guy who hasn't even logged a single season of more than 700 yards and 1 TD, and 33 year-old, past-his-prime Santana Moss. And now, they're releasing Chris Cooley. That leaves Fred Davis, whom is probably the Redskins only legitimate target. Would you rather have that slew of unproven WR's, or have Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Donnie Avery, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, and T.Y. Hilton? I understand Fleener, Allen, and Hilton haven't taken any NFL snaps yet, but on a serious note, their potential is limitless, especially under Luck. All of these targets can catch, hardly any of RG3's can. Not to mention the Redskins lost critical players along their offensive line.

My last bit of information, why do you think the Redskins drafted Cousins along with RG3? Not only for future potential trade value, but because they know RG3 is going to be injury-prone against the vicious pass rushing in the NFC East.

Anyways, I know that's a lot of negatives toward RG3 and the Redskins. Don't get me wrong, I think both players will be great, but I firmly believe Luck is the better overall QB and can be as good if not better than Peyton or Rodgers.

i really would love to know what the world the redskins have done to make it that RGIII will have a better season then luck. they sign two wrs that will never be number ones and TE no one cares about.

Mike Freeman:

It's going to be a brutal rookie season for Andrew Luck. There is no other way around it. He's going to be brutalized beginning in Week 1.

Luck will begin his NFL career in Chicago which is just plain mean. And he will be the starter barring some sort of injury or asteroid striking the planet. He will debut on an awful team with a bad offensive line, crappy defense and new coaching staff.

It's not that the Colts have a tough schedule it's just that every team they will face is better than them.

Luck may face the kind of rookie season that Troy Aikman did in Dallas his rookie year when he won a single game and was beaten up like he was in a Muay Thai fight.

heading my head against a wall. what are these * talking about. why does everyone think we have done nothing to help build this team. its getting to a point where all these including the * at NFLN and ESPN dont wanna acknowledge anything the colts have done in the draft and through free agency

Mike Freeman:

Bad OL? I think we have a pretty good OL. We have our franchise LT, two starting RTs, one will become a guard, Satele is a pretty good C, and we have a lot of players to duke it out for the last guard spot. And how will a crappy defense hurt Andrew statistically? Our D will cost us a lot of games (like the Panthers last year) but we now have a deadly offense that just lacks a future #1 receiver. We can focus mainly on D next year, get a shutdown CB or a pass rusher for our D first round, maybe that future # 1 WR, and we'll be well on our way.

heading my head against a wall. what are these * talking about. why does everyone think we have done nothing to help build this team. its getting to a point where all these including the * at NFLN and ESPN dont wanna acknowledge anything the colts have done in the draft and through free agency

I agree with you on the NFLN and ESPN bias, but I feel a majority of opinions outside those seem to think we did pretty well. Also I THINK the quote in question was said before the draft anyways. lol

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, May 1, 2012 - Baiting
Hidden by shecolt, May 1, 2012 - Baiting

Bad OL? I think we have a pretty good OL. We have our franchise LT, two starting RTs, one will become a guard, Satele is a pretty good C, and we have a lot of players to duke it out for the last guard spot. And how will a crappy defense hurt Andrew statistically? Our D will cost us a lot of games (like the Panthers last year) but we now have a deadly offense that just lacks a future #1 receiver. We can focus mainly on D next year, get a shutdown CB or a pass rusher for our D first round, maybe that future # 1 WR, and we'll be well on our way.

Do you bottle and sell this kind of optimism? You should.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, May 1, 2012 - response
Hidden by shecolt, May 1, 2012 - response

Whatever man, we DO have a good OL. You should know about bad OL tho I guess, considering your franchise single handedly killed David Carr's career.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, May 1, 2012 - baiting
Hidden by shecolt, May 1, 2012 - baiting

Whatever man, we DO have a good OL. You should know about bad OL tho I guess, considering your franchise single handedly killed David Carr's career.

Seriously, that post needs a team of scientists to break down how awful it was. I'll get back to you in 5 years when they finish their report.

Seriously, that post needs a team of scientists to break down how awful it was. I'll get back to you in 5 years when they finish their report.

Okay man, sure. Thanks for all of your antagonistic posts. Ignore.

I'd say at best we have an incomplete offensive line, considering we dont even know where some of them will actually be lining up at this point with the exception of Satele and Castonzo, as for the Texans well they got handed the division last year so no room to talk their I would be more worried about how your gonna guard both Dwayne Allen and Fleener, Ill say this though, you guys got Brandon Brooks and I wanted him here and I think once again you guys will be getting a great linebacker to replace Williams in Mercilus

Hahah that was a beauty alright. In depth detailed superb top notch analytical grading right there, I kid I kid. I love the detailed analysis on Hilton. He's fast but skinny and might get hammered a bit until he learns.

Here's my incredibly detailed analysis of the Colts draft.

Malakai writes:

In the first round, the Indianapolis Colts drafted QB Andrew Luck out of Stanford who can throw the ball and run around sometimes. In the second and third they drafted two tight ends who are big and they can catch the ball. Later in the third they moved up to get Hilton who is fast but yet skinny, he will get hammered a bit until he learns. In the 5th they drafted two players a big guy, Josh Chapman DT who is big and supposedly strong and also running back Vick Ballard who can run because he's a running back. I forgot to mention that Ballard has 10 toes, 2 feet and 2 legs we presume, so he can run the ball. Then they picked up some other players, some guy named LaVon Brazill who probably is from Brazil but I'm not sure, Justin Anderson, Fim Tugger good old Fim Tugger he's a defensive player who can play defense maybe, then the steal of the draft Chandler Harnish. Harnish is a QB who in the end will probably have a better career than Andrew Luck because many might consider him slightly better looking.

Grade: N/A

Malakai writes:

In the first round, the Indianapolis Colts drafted QB Andrew Luck out of Stanford who can throw the ball and run around sometimes. In the second and third they drafted two tight ends who are big and they can catch the ball. Later in the third they moved up to get Hilton who is fast but yet skinny, he will get hammered a bit until he learns. In the 5th they drafted two players a big guy, Josh Chapman DT who is big and supposedly strong and also running back Vick Ballard who can run because he's a running back. I forgot to mention that Ballard has 10 toes, 2 feet and 2 legs we presume, so he can run the ball. Then they picked up some other players, some guy named LaVon Brazill who probably is from Brazil but I'm not sure, Justin Anderson, Fim Tugger good old Fim Tugger he's a defensive player who can play defense maybe, then the steal of the draft Chandler Harnish. Harnish is a QB who in the end will probably have a better career than Andrew Luck because many might consider him slightly better looking.

:lol: I needed that laugh

:facepalm: Everyone seems to think speed = potential apparently. Scrambling QBs generally have much shorter and less successful careers, just ask... Well, nearly every scrambler selected round 1. RG3 could be the exception

I'm no supporter of Griffin, I feel he will not live up to the hyperbole. However, to your above statement, Newton sure looks to break that mold. Cunningham had a pretty darn successful career as well.

I agree with you about our OL. We have some darn good prospects in Ijalana and Castonzo. The OL suffered from injury and chaos from the loss of Manning and the deer-in-headlights approach the coaches seemed to project. There were some terrible blocking scheme attempts slapped together that featured tiny, woeful blocking TE's trying to provide protection. Synchronicity seemed absent, and I cannot place proper blame on the OL personal entirely.

With that said, the loss of Saturday is troubling to me.

Good thread idea though, we should be diligent in keeping track of it so as to serve up some crow later on. I'll try to dig a few up myself.

Is this a quote thread like the title says or just a negative quote thread? I am assuming the former so to balance things out a bit allow me to provide the following:

Chris Burke

"I would like to have seen an earlier WR pick, but getting the electric T.Y. Hilton (92) and a pair of tight ends (Coby Fleener at 34 and Dwayne Allen at 64) gives Andrew Luck some nice weapons--and provides the Colts a nice offensive base."

Will Brinson

"It was a bit surprising to see the Colts, who just hired a defensive-minded coach in Chuck Pagano, go heavy on the offense during the draft. But that doesn't mean it's not smart,..this will make Luck's transition easier (and) it will put fans in the stands again."

Do not despire, my fellow Colts' fans. That's why the games are decided on the FIELD, not on NFL Live and Path to the Draft. And why so many insecurites concerning what type of career RGIII has, anyways?!?! :hmm: He's a Redskin now, not even in our conference. I personally feel he will be a very good QB, but my concern is with Luck, for HE is our QB. I've beat this drum over and over that the Colts are and will continue to be underrated, and that is ok with me. I doubt this rebuilding will take long, so please do not feed into the so-called media 'experts' that come off with the fear that the Colts will NEVER be back as contenders...

Malakai writes:

You're the John Madden of the Colts Forum :)

You are not too far removed from peddling bottles of optimism yourself...Texan fan. One playoff win and a division title (finally) and you want to smell yourself. lol You guys are fortunate to be at the top of the South right now but you didn't overtake us so much as the Manning era just ran its course. You guys are not even close to being the division powerhouse that Indy was. We held the South on lock for years and guess what...we're positioning ourselves to threaten again for the division sooner than you think. So enjoy your perch while it lasts because the Monster is coming.

The Colts gave up nothing for Luck, and easily have better weapons now (post-draft) than the Redskins have.

I like the direction the team is heading, and prefer Luck to RG3, but we kinda did give up something (someone) HUGE before drafting Luck. Just sayin'.

Yeah, our O-line isn't the best, but we are getting better. My questions for you are these:

1. Why are you even on here?

2. Do you come on here just to act like an a** or does it come naturally?

3. Do you think the blundering texans will actually win something if you come on this site and act like an a**?

4. Do you actually think that the texans are coming here and scouting your weak a** attempts at looking like an a**?

5. Are you still upset that a losing team beat your texans on week 16?

6. Does your inflated girlfriend show enthusaisim at the way you come on here and post like an a**?

7. Are you upset that the texans can't sweep the Colts?

8. Does being a realist include knowing that your an a**? This ones on par with question two, so answer carefully.

Analysis: The Colts took the safer of the two quarterbacks at the top of the draft in Luck, getting a guy who has more understanding of the pro game. That said, it's a fair bet that Griffin will be the better player over the length of their respective careers. Luck will probably never be a bad player and will likely be a 10-year starter in the league.

LOL Wooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Hahahaha

Tough duty ahead for Luck, who'll be fortunate in 2012 to win as many games as the Colts' last No. 1 overall, Peyton Manning, did as a rookie in 1998 (three). Indy has been stripped bare of stars (except for graybeards Reggie Wayne, 33, and Dwight Freeney, 32) and needs to be sure it doesn't overhype Luck's arrival. It'll be a long road back to the playoffs.

LOL Wooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Hahahaha #2

That's right, keep the blinders up.

LOL I can understand Patriots* fans...Steelers fans...maybe even Ravens fans. Those fan bases have a team with a track record of ahem winning.

But the "Texans"? A fan base that rest it's (very) newfound swagger on...what...Peyton Manning getting injured? Because let's keep it real, no Manning injury = no Texans AFC South title (their first BTW).

How are Texans fans popping off? LOL

Yeah, get back to us in five years...............................when you may have accomplished something close to half of what this franchise has over the previous ten.

Too funny. :)

You are not too far removed from peddling bottles of optimism yourself...Texan fan. One playoff win and a division title (finally) and you want to smell yourself. lol You guys are fortunate to be at the top of the South right now but you didn't overtake us so much as the Manning era just ran its course. You guys are not even close to being the division powerhouse that Indy was. We held the South on lock for years and guess what...we're positioning ourselves to threaten again for the division sooner than you think. So enjoy your perch while it lasts because the Monster is coming.

I agree Texans if and i say if they can keep it together may have 1 more year.Then Colts Rule will be back.

How many years was it "The Texans' Year" before they actually had a winning record? It only took a HOF QB's head falling off to do it too.

it must be fun being a texan fan. NOW. wonder how long that lasts.

If Peyton Manning was in college and he declared for the draft this year alongside RGIII, the analysts would be saying the same thing. Peyton has great fundamentals, a great understanding of the game, however, RGIII has a higher ceiling.

Now ask yourself honestly, who would you draft?

RGIII has a supossed higher ceiling only because he is atheletic. We all agree that we do not necessarily want our QB running more than he has to. So the overall atheleticism shouldn't create a higher ceiling, it should be the ability to read a defense, lead a team, and generate wins. That sounds a lot more like Luck to me.

It's hard to pass judgement on an O-line nobody has ever seen play don't ya think?

I saw them play last year. You drafted one guard, and signed some UDFAs right? They're UDFAs for a reason. Who know's if they'll pan out, maybe you'll find a diamond in the rough.

The 2011 Colts offensive line ranked 24th in the league last year. If that's pretty good, the Texans O-line was a wall of Greek Gods.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11020138

Let me know when the "monster" shows up. PS, we have a monster of our own. Maybe you've heard of it? 2nd ranked defense in the league? Arguably the best front 7 in football? Best defense in the postseason? Maybe you've heard...

I saw them play last year. You drafted one guard, and signed some UDFAs right? They're UDFAs for a reason. Who know's if they'll pan out, maybe you'll find a diamond in the rough.

The 2011 Colts offensive line ranked 24th in the league last year. If that's pretty good, the Texans O-line was a wall of Greek Gods.

http://sports.yahoo....ug=ycn-11020138

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

actually Colts were 16th. Texans were 13th. According to NFL.com. There are 3 new bodies on our line. New Line coach as well. No way anyone can pass judgement on the current line until they see them play. Last year was... last year.

Yeah, our O-line isn't the best, but we are getting better. My questions for you are these:

1. Why are you even on here?

2. Do you come on here just to act like an a** or does it come naturally?

3. Do you think the blundering texans will actually win something if you come on this site and act like an a**?

4. Do you actually think that the texans are coming here and scouting your weak a** attempts at looking like an a**?

5. Are you still upset that a losing team beat your texans on week 16?

6. Does your inflated girlfriend show enthusaisim at the way you come on here and post like an a**?

7. Are you upset that the texans can't sweep the Colts?

8. Does being a realist include knowing that your an a**? This ones on par with question two, so answer carefully.

haha, we've got a live one here...I'll entertain your grade-school questions with humor and humility.

1. This forum is very active. The whole Manning thing was intriguing to me. I didn't join to troll, but I'll call out a homer post when I see one. Let me know when I make a homer post of my own. PS: You won't see that happen.

2. Depends on what you feel is acting "like an a**". If it's calling out insanely optimistic posts, then yeah, I can be "an a**".

3. Blundering? 2-14 last year. Who's the blunder?

4. O.o

5. No, we already locked up the division and couldn't get the #1 or #2 seed. Meaningless game.

6. It seems that you know more about them than I do.

7. Well, I can't see the future, but I'll be that we do it in the next 50 years or so.

8. Obviously you feel threatened by my presence, or you wouldn't resort to name-calling. Be careful, we all must follow the rules here, big guy.