Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In 2012 Bethea is SS or FS?

number28

They are the same positions now? How so?

They are completely different positions mate

The way safties are now asked to play in the NFL they're basically interchangeable. Both safeties have to be able to cover, play in the box etc. Look at Bethea who played FS with Sanders and yet at times he played in the box.

They are the same positions now? How so?

They are completely different positions mate

Blackhawk is right. Normally they just stay on their side of the field. The strong side is the side the TE lines up on. It's just terminology. Both Safeties have pretty much the same general job description. The better ones just might do a little more.

Bethea will be doing whatever Ed Reed does in Baltimore. Honestly, the FS/SS thing is irrelevant it seems. If he's lining up in the box, he's a SS. If he's the single high safety, then he's the FS. We see Reed doing both all the time.

I highly doubt Tom Zibokowskiasdlkjsdflkjsfd starts. He'll probably be more of a nickle/dime/special teams guy.

Bethea will be doing whatever Ed Reed does in Baltimore. Honestly, the FS/SS thing is irrelevant it seems. If he's lining up in the box, he's a SS. If he's the single high safety, then he's the FS. We see Reed doing both all the time.

I highly doubt Tom Zibokowskiasdlkjsdflkjsfd starts. He'll probably be more of a nickle/dime/special teams guy.

You think Lefeged will start? I think Tommy Z. is the guy there.

You don't think Tom will start?

You will have a tweener safety played in nickel coverage in 4-2-5 as well. So, coverage safeties are becoming more popular.

That is why the kinds of Mike Newton we signed from CFL and Micah Pellerin (who has played CB, SS and FS at Hampton) that we signed as UDFA will come in handy for us. I also believe that is the direction we are going and why the lack of 4 quality CBs can be overcome on our roster with the tweener free safety kinds, especially against teams with multiple TEs in space.

I think the starting safeties should be Bethea and Lefeged. Not sold on a guy who was a starter at the beginning of the season and lost it to Bernard Pollard. Lefeged is bigger, faster, and younger. Let Pagano develop him. Lefeged had a good year with limited snaps (why did the FO keep playing Caldwell?) 2 INTs 35 tackles and 5 passes defensed I believe? Should increase with increased playing time. I just dont see why everyone is so stoked about Zbikowski..

Blackhawk is right. Normally they just stay on their side of the field. The strong side is the side the TE lines up on. It's just terminology. Both Safeties have pretty much the same general job description. The better ones just might do a little more.

What if there are two TE's lined up?

You think Lefeged will start? I think Tommy Z. is the guy there.

There brought Tommy Z in to shore up that position. Lefeged will be a back up. Bethea and Tommy Z. If they gel. I see them being soild. Lets remember Tommy Z comes from a 3-4 system. He can be a teacher on the practice field. I dont see a problem at the safety position.

I think the starting safeties should be Bethea and Lefeged. Not sold on a guy who was a starter at the beginning of the season and lost it to Bernard Pollard. Lefeged is bigger, faster, and younger. Let Pagano develop him. Lefeged had a good year with limited snaps (why did the FO keep playing Caldwell?) 2 INTs 35 tackles and 5 passes defensed I believe? Should increase with increased playing time. I just dont see why everyone is so stoked about Zbikowski..

Because lots of people on here get caught up in personalitites. They are stoked about a saftey that wants to be a boxer and a punter that wants to be a swimmer! If people watched what they did on the field they would realize they have a punter that regularly out kicks his coverage and did a poor job at directional kicking and a saftey that couldn't stay on the field because he was a liability.

Before I get flamed for saying anything negative about two of our popular players just want to say I think both can be very good contributers for us. I will be honest I think Z and Lefeged will both get an equal chance to start. Best in camp and pre-season plays. I would not be surprised to see Lefeged beat him out. Z with his boxing and tough talk may seem like a perfect fit but the guy hasn't produced on the field. I will take a guy with less talk and more action. He has a lot of potential and I hope this opportunity brings out his best but I'm not going to give the guy any credit until he proves it on the field.

no , i mean what is the strong side when two TE's line up?

If they go in the Ace formation (both lined up on the LOS on opposite sides), there is no technical 'Strong Side'. If they're on the same side, that side is the strong side. Labeling one safety the Free Safety, and the other the Strong Safety, is basically meaningless because more often than not, they have the same job. It is common though that one Safety is better at playing close to the line and shooting through a gap for a tackle, while the other one takes the deep center of the field and assists a CB when his man goes deep.