Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucky Brooks: The Colts Should Bench Anthony Richardson

RollerColt

On 10/26/2024 at 11:21 AM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Brooks was a AR hater so I don’t take anything he says serious. What is up with the national media. You don’t see this crap with other young QB. I guess it’s the result of colts signing Flacco. But their perception on how good Flacco had been is just wrong.

I mean, AR isn’t very good, so I don’t see how he’s wrong.

• Like 1

Well today certainly didn’t do Anthony any favors…

One of the worst first half performances of a QB… 13% completion… 

Sometimes I look and wonder if he should’ve stayed in college at least another year to develop. He’s just too green. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s wrong because Richardson needs to play.  That’s how he’ll get better.  

It's a tough decision. Yeas, AR does need to get better, but playing him comes at the cost of what will most likely be a lost season. How do you justify this to the other players on the team, like Buckner, who doesn't have much more playing time left. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2024 at 11:55 AM, RollerColt said:

They certainly don’t understand what our goal is for this year. 

Make the playoffs and get blown out? 

Starting Flacco just punts the AR question to yet another year. We need him to start and play. And once we get to the offseason figure out what we have. 

What question? The AR as a pro QB has been answered.

Just now, Flash7 said:

It's a tough decision. Yeas, AR does need to get better, but playing him comes at the cost of what will most likely be a lost season. How do you justify this to the other players on the team, like Buckner, who doesn't have much more playing time left. 

I hear you. 

But the kid is the future.   And there are points in a game where I’d be fine inserting Flacco.  Depends on the circumstance.   At some point the Colts owe it to themselves a chance to win.   But AR should start every game and his play — good or bad — should determine if/when Flacco replaces AR.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hear you. 

But the kid is the future.   And there are points in a game where I’d be fine inserting Flacco.  Depends on the circumstance.   At some point the Colts owe it to themselves a chance to win.   But AR should start every game and his play — good or bad — should determine if/when Flacco replaces AR.  

Tough decisions indeed.

But I'm not sold on AR being the future. The only way to find out is to let him play, which I understand.

But, I think he's far less Josh Allen and way more Josh Rosen -- a high draft pick that never puts it all together.

On 10/26/2024 at 9:16 AM, RollerColt said:

Headline article of NFL.com this morning:

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-should-bench-anthony-richardson-for-joe-flacco-thoughts-on-deandre-hopkins-jerod-mayo

I don’t agree with his take.

I think he is totally wrong. Why would u be benching him? His biggest issue is accuracy. How is that going to get better sitting on the pine? He has had enough time to watch from the side lines because of his injuries. I believe if u bench him . It will be the end of him. 

On 10/26/2024 at 10:01 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't cared for Brooks takes since the beginning of the 2009 season. Going into that season, he said the Colts would finally be an average team since Harrison retired and Dungy wasn't no longer the coach. He said Peyton wouldn't be near as good as well. Then we end up almost going undefeated and making the SB. Dude is a Colts hater and never has known our team. I lost all respect for him back in 2009. 

If Brooks and those other draft analysts were legit. They would have front office jobs by now. Just saying.

23 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts are 4-3. AR is responsible for 3 of those wins

Honestly, the bigger issue for me is Steichen. He maybe a great play caller. However, I can think of today and another game where his poor decision making out this team behind the wight ball.

On 10/26/2024 at 10:21 AM, CR91 said:

Benching a young QB is the worst thing you can do to them. You're essentially saying to the player we don't believe in you anymore and destroy their confidence a la Bryce Young. I don't know how many times this needs to be said, AR needs reps. You don't get reps sitting on the bench. You need to take your lumps so you learn and get better. 

Is he getting killed out there? Nope, not yet. Is he making really bad decisions? He is making some poor decisions but not enough to get him benched. Does he have poor accuracy? U bet, and that won't  get better sitting on the bench. His biggest issue by far is accuracy. Someone tell me how that gets better by not playing. He may not be the answer but that won't get resolved until he plays and often. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Is he getting killed out there? Nope, not yet. Is he making really bad decisions? He is making some poor decisions but not enough to get him benched. Does he have poor accuracy? U bet, and that won't  get better sitting on the bench. His biggest issue by far is accuracy. Someone tell me how that gets better by not playing. He may not be the answer but that won't get resolved until he plays and often. 

Sit him  on the bench and hire someone  to work with him on accuracy. He doesn't  need to learn it it in the fire.

• Like 1

You have a qb that has shown nothing close to a starting nfl qb. He is worse than last year, inaccurate, slow reading the defense, and makes bad decissions. It’s not fair to other players and he will loose the teams confidence. They will never say it,but it will happen. Like I said before, players careers are short and you play to win with the best players!! 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, husker61 said:

This is professional football, you play the best players, period! If you aren’t good enough, you strive to get better in practice. This is the most important at the qb position that affects every offensive play! If he performed in practice he will be the starter.

K tell me this. What does Flacco give u? U start him and what do u hope will happen? Sure u may win a game or two more, but u r never winning a Superbowl with him, and that is the end goal.  U play AR for what the future  holds. I said I wouldn't evaluate him till seasons end. If he is playing like this in game 17. Then u can call him a bust and I may be right there with u. U know what is funny. Out of everything that happened today. The one big issue I had with AR is not going out of bounds on that last drive. That was beyond dumb and he has to know the game. Shane and AR seem to be lacking that at this point in their careers.

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think he is totally wrong. Why would u be benching him? His biggest issue is accuracy. How is that going to get better sitting on the pine? He has had enough time to watch from the side lines because of his injuries. I believe if u bench him . It will be the end of him. 

Seems to have helped Bryce Young at least for the moment. He’s 8/9 with a touchdown against the Broncos. 

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly, the bigger issue for me is Steichen. He maybe a great play caller. However, I can think of today and another game where his poor decision making out this team behind the wight ball.

I agree, he hasn’t shown me a lot as a head coach. The end of the 1st half is on him!

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Seems to have helped Bryce Young at least for the moment. He’s 8/9 with a touchdown against the Broncos. 

Bryce Youngs issue wasnt accuracy. He was over whelmed and he plays for a bad football team. I was not on the young train. I said he wouldn't succeed because of his physical traits

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not enough 

Omg.......

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

K tell me this. What does Flacco give u? U start him and what do u hope will happen? Sure u may win a game or two more, but u r never winning a Superbowl with him, and that is the end goal.  U play AR for what the future  holds. I said I wouldn't evaluate him till seasons end. If he is playing like this in game 17. Then u can call him a bust and I may be right there with u. U know what is funny. Out of everything that happened today. The one big issue I had with AR is not going out of bounds on that last drive. That was beyond dumb and he has to know the game. Shane and AR seem to be lacking that at this point in their careers.

flacco gives you a much better chance to win and make the playoffs. The colts would be in a tie for first if he played today. There is nothing I see in Richardson right now that makes me think he will get the colts to the sb. I would say Flacco does. Not in 5 years, maybe that’s Richardson or another qb. If the colts were a 1-2 win team and ina complete rebuild, you take your lumps with Richardson, but that’s not the case.

• Thanks 1

Anthony is perfecting some bad habits. That's potentially a big problem. The thing about practicing is: You don't practice skills until you get them right, you practice them until you can't get them wrong. After you learn bad habits, it's much harder to develop good ones.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of Brooks and I don't think he is particularly good at evaluation.  But he is not wrong here.  His take is sound.

For myself I think the Colts took a known long term project QB.  And my worry is the staff running him to move the chains, which has the unfortunate side effect of shortening his career.  Also since I am a fan I don't mind the team losing enough games to get a high or middling pick and maybe pick up another bluechip player.  So overall when I see him out there making mistakes it's not the worst thing, as I knew he wasn't going to be a quick study.  The hope here is he does the work and gets the seasoning and at some point lives up to his upside.

But the staff does need to win games for their job security.  So they're probably close to that point where they sit the kid.

Its definitely a tough question. He needs to play to possibly get better/develop AND to see if he's the Future or need to move on from him and start again to look to acquire a QB......But its also not good for the other players who are wanting to win in often short careers AND MOST OF ALL to the Fans who support sports  teams Financially & Emotionally. ......its not like the fans are getting a break on price of seats , NFL Sunday ticket, food and beverages and parking. 

Missing on AR really hurts the Die Hards after already a Decade of irrelevancy and now bypassing a chance to win a bit  now with Flacco, or give a guy a chance that many don't think he will ever make it AND THEN in a couple more years  back to QB purgatory. :yuk:

58 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Anthony is perfecting some bad habits. That's potentially a big problem. The thing about practicing is: You don't practice skills until you get them right, you practice them until you can't get them wrong. After you learn bad habits, it's much harder to develop good ones.

This might be the most valid reason. If he didn’t get a full off season to work exclusively on his mechanics because he was working on his rehab, it probably set him back. His game performances clearly show it has. It’s not going to be solved in week to week practices.

So, all the bad habits and mechanics he’s unconsciously adopted becomes muscle memory that will be harder to control and do away with UNLESS you do less passing and more running with him, period.

Its time to go Tim Tebow mode offense with him.

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont see how any one can say this with confidence.  He was always a big risk and in his second season it's not going very well.  

Because the team has invested in him.  Only a fan gives up this soon.   He barely played last year so this is basically his rookie year.  A well run team does not give up this soon with what they have invested.   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because the team has invested in him.  Only a fan gives up this soon.   He barely played last year so this is basically his rookie year.  A well run team does not give up this soon with what they have invested.   

I agree with you. Regardless of what we see and feel, I think the coaching staff will soldier on with AR and continue to work with him. Then by season end they’ll evaluate and determine what the next course of action is. 

2 hours ago, NFLUp said:

LOL.

yeah, that was necessary for Love, Mahomes, etc.

Im not sure what you think is funny?   

Love didn’t play until his 4th year.   Neither did Daniel Jones.   Both were very experienced in college.  Richardson was not.  The kid needs to play. 

Mahomes played extensively in college and has Andy Reid as his mentor.   

Steichen , who developed Herbert with the Chargers and Hurts with the Eagles believes in playing AR.   I think I’ll back his decision rather than yours.