Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade deadline moves for Colts

BProland85

If this team gets back healthy for the most part, they could be players for a wildcard spot. That said, who are some realistic guys you’d like them to go trade for from other tanking teams? 

I’d like to go get David Njoku from the Browns. Fills a big need as this team hasn’t had a top all around TE since at least Doyle. And Njoku is much better in space than Doyle. He shouldn’t cost much either. I’d expect maybe around a 5th or 6th. He’d be a big help for AR. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If this team gets back healthy for the most part, they could be players for a wildcard spot. That said, who are some realistic guys you’d like them to go trade for from other tanking teams? 

I’d like to go get David Njoku from the Browns. Fills a big need as this team hasn’t had a top all around TE since at least Doyle. And Njoku is much better in space than Doyle. He shouldn’t cost much either. I’d expect maybe around a 5th or 6th. He’d be a big help for AR. 

Idk that a 5th or 6 gets that done if you look at the TJ Hockenson trade to Minnesota they had to give up a 2 and 3 and got Hock along with a 4th and conditional 5th. I would assume at minimum the Browns would be seeking a 4th for him if not a 3rd.

• Thanks 1

If I had to pick a position to address it most certainly would be CB. And I’d see what it would take to get Greg Newsome from Cleveland he’s about to play on his 5th year option so you’re not pressed to get a deal done right away. He’s only 24 so he still has ALOT of football left in him. I think he could be had for a 3rd round pick and that would be a hell of a win IMO. He doesn’t have the normal height profile that they have been drafting recently . But he has a Lengthy profile file that they have been looking for.  he is 6,0 192 lbs with a 74” wing span. He is quick , twitchy, moves well in space and has the ability to play both man and zone. He came from a scheme at Northwestern where they played a ton of Cover 3 , Quarters coverage and press man, he also played a ton of man coverage with Cleveland. He should be able to come in and be comfortable within the defensive system almost immediately. 

• Like 9

16 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Doesn’t seem like the Colts use their tight ends in the passing game much. I’d like to see them trade for an impact DT or LB.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

If I had to pick a position to address it most certainly would be CB. And I’d see what it would take to get Greg Newsome from Cleveland he’s about to play on his 5th year option so you’re not pressed to get a deal done right away. He’s only 24 so he still has ALOT of football left in him. I think he could be had for a 3rd round pick and that would be a hell of a win IMO. He doesn’t have the normal height profile that they have been drafting recently . But he has a Lengthy profile file that they have been looking for.  he is 6,0 192 lbs with a 74” wing span. He is quick , twitchy, moves well in space and has the ability to play both man and zone. He came from a scheme at Northwestern where they played a ton of Cover 3 , Quarters coverage and press man, he also played a ton of man coverage with Cleveland. He should be able to come in and be comfortable within the defensive system almost immediately. 

It only makes sense if you sign him to a sizeable long term deal, obviously. So you are pushing out either Brents (I'm all-in on that), and declaring you want him ahead of Womack or Jones.

Maybe. Is he that guy? 

Grade.

About zero chance Ballard and his Pro personnel staff come up with that assessment. 

We need Myles Garrett. lol

Bottom line, we need to either buy or sell. The worst thing you can do is stand pat. If you think you are a contender, trade for a piece or two to try and make the playoffs. If you feel the team isn't ready yet, sell a piece or two and get a couple draft picks for the future. The only bad move is doing nothing. Hopefully we do something.

I'd personally like to trade for Greg Newsome or Azeez Ojulari. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Bottom line, we need to either buy or sell. The worst thing you can do is stand pat. If you think you are a contender, trade for a piece or two to try and make the playoffs. If you feel the team isn't ready yet, sell a piece or two and get a couple draft picks for the future. The only bad move is doing nothing. Hopefully we do something.

Maybe

From my perspective

CB makes very few, VERY FEW trades for top level players 

If we win the next 2 weeks,

I would be tempted to trade for a CB from another team

If we lose the next 2 weeks

I would be open to a trade, but what are we going to give up?

This team has a good OL (I wouldn't trade anyone)

This team now has some decent WRs (I wouldn't trade anyone)

The ONLY trade I would do would be for (IF WE WIN) a 3rd or 4th round pick for an available improvement at LB,CB, DE

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Maybe

From my perspective

CB makes very few, VERY FEW trades for top level players 

If we win the next 2 weeks,

I would be tempted to trade for a CB from another team

If we lose the next 2 weeks

I would be open to a trade, but what are we going to give up?

This team has a good OL (I wouldn't trade anyone)

This team now has some decent WRs (I wouldn't trade anyone)

The ONLY trade I would do would be for (IF WE WIN) a 3rd or 4th round pick for an available improvement at LB,CB, DE

If we lose the next two weeks, I would honestly trade Ryan Kelly to a contender that needs a C. I think Bortolini is good enough to start and be our C of the present and the future. Might be able to get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Kelly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Baker, Njuko or Okeroke would be my choices.  I think if we win Sunday he will definitely bring a player in.  Might not be a big name but I think he will try to add some help.  Even at 4-4 I think there is a good chance.  I think he feels good about this team and it’s chances.

• Like 1

if we lose the next 2 weeks i would be okay that they trade Ryan. I wouldn't trade anyone that is good or that we need. We are a few players away on defense and a qb away from being really good. we have a great offense. just need consistency at qb. Defense yeah, hopefully we draft defense and pick up 2 players in FA that are good or decent. If we win these couple weeks, I'm going after some secondary players that we can get. Also give me Myles Garrett! imagine Buckner Garrett, Latu. No ones getting double teamed!! I know we not getting him, just dreaming about it lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Solid84 said:

It depends on the cost I guess regarding Njoku. I don't think Steichen has used our TEs much in the passing game even last season. I think our TE averaged around 5 targets per game total last season.

I like it if we got a good FS, but I don't think that's happening anymore.

I don't think Ballard makes any trades though. This is probably not the year for it, but even if it was it's never beens Ballard's style.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

If we lose the next two weeks, I would honestly trade Ryan Kelly to a contender that needs a C. I think Bortolini is good enough to start and be our C of the present and the future. Might be able to get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Kelly.

I understand the business approach to this but I feel the Colts will let Kelly decide his fate. They may not want to resign him after this season but I see them letting him walk and choose his team over being traded as a rental.  He very well may retire at the end of the year as well. The Colts typically don’t ship out long term players on trades unless they request it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Prepare for the worst.   Then you’ll be elated if Ballard actually makes a trade.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This is from an article on CBSsports.   He gives his opinion on what each team should do, buy, trade, or stay put.  And it sounds like what Ballard would do.

”The Denver Broncos and Indianapolis Colts both seem to be in a similar position. They are each 4-3 entering Week 8 and are working through the development of a young quarterback. In both scenarios, they feel like they are a year or two too early from going all-in as buyers. The wise move may be to simply play the year out and continue building internally, unless an ideal long-term trade piece comes across the wire.“

• Like 1

I would bolster the interior of the DL with quality depth like Adam Butler of Raiders:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/adam-butler/12214

He is 1st in solo tackles playing inside, and him next to Buckner would tremendously help us as the season goes along. It might also help the less aggressive D of Bradley to be able to get more out of just rushing 4.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It only makes sense if you sign him to a sizeable long term deal, obviously. So you are pushing out either Brents (I'm all-in on that), and declaring you want him ahead of Womack or Jones.

Maybe. Is he that guy? 

Grade.

About zero chance Ballard and his Pro personnel staff come up with that assessment. 

We need Myles Garrett. lol

As we all know Brent’s hasn’t shown he has the ability to stay healthy. He’s a hell of a talent but your best ability is availability. As for who he takes over for that’s up to the coaches tbh. He can slide in for Womack and I’ll be ok with that. At the end of the day even tho Womack is playing well thus far he can most certainly be depth which is something we are surely lacking currently. As for Garret idk that move sounds to me that they aren’t sold on Kwity after taking his 5th year option. Idk how he takes that personally but I would absolutely be thrilled to get Garret, I just think the cost for him would be very massive and something Ballard isn’t likely to do. Also I think they’re content with Latu getting the extra reps for developmental purposes. 

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I just can't see Ballard making any moves. 

He didn't do it before the season, and I don't see him doing it during. 

Yea I think the likelihood of Ballard making any acquisitions is probably low. I’m almost 50/50 on them potentially trading someone away, Kelly and MAC both come to mind. 

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

That's the way this would work, IMO.  Its not likely a team can get a player for only a few months. 

Getting a player now would likely have to spill into next season and would tend to send a message that Ballard gave up on one of the guys "he likes".  

Would Garrett come here for only a few months?  If not, what does that say about Paye?   Always want to improve the team, but these decisions carry other ramifications beyond it simply helping right now.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's the way this would work, IMO.  Its not likely a team can get a player for only a few months. 

Getting a player now would likely have to spill into next season and would tend to send a message that Ballard gave up on one of the guys "he likes".  

Would Garrett come here for only a few months?  If not, what does that say about Paye?   Always want to improve the team, but these decisions carry other ramifications beyond it simply helping right now.

I think if it happened Garrett would get a new contract with more guaranteed money.  I don’t think he has any guaranteed money beyond this year.  Paye could actually be part of the trade.  Ballard knows how to make the money and cap work.  The toughest part is figuring out the compensation and of course Cleveland has to be willing.

• Like 1

Ballard gave up a 1st to get Buckner.  I could see him doing the same thing for Garrett and probably more.  So to think he wouldn’t do it doesn’t make sense.  He’s not afraid to trade and not afraid to trade our 1st pick.  He already has done it.  Would Cleveland be willing to do it that’s the bigger question.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard gave up a 1st to get Buckner.  I could see him doing the same thing for Garrett and probably more.  So to think he wouldn’t do it doesn’t make sense.  He’s not afraid to trade and not afraid to trade our 1st pick.  He already has done it.  Would Cleveland be willing to do it that’s the bigger question.

How long are you going to use ONE TRADE and claim that means he’d be willing to do it again?   

Buckner was a complete unicorn trade.  A rare once in a decade type of deal.  Finding the right player at the right price and the right time.   

Here's the difference between Buckner and Garrett.   Buckner was 25 when the Colts acquired him.   Garrett is about to turn 29 in 2 months.   Those 4 years make all the difference.   If Cleveland were to move Garrett (which I seriously doubt) I’d bet Ballard would get out bid for him.   Good. 

DE is arguably the Colts best position on defense.  I would not want to move draft picks to strengthen an already strong position.   It’s like those who asked if the Colts should good trade picks to improve the WR room.  That was an easy no thank you. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The Garrett thing was a joke. He is an all-time great and worth the open check book.

• Like 1