Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman Jr: sends a message to the entire team

csmopar

The line between recklessness and bravado can be thin. For 1 game however, Pittman's guts reign supreme. Just wouldn't be wise to play a high rate of minutes with that back issue, so it has to be managed. I remember Big Q playing with a back issue an entire season and it did bother his play on the field but then WRs can come off the field while a key OL cannot. 

One thing Pittman did make it clear to the younger ones is that pain is part of the NFL, and that leadership is much appreciated. Sooner or later, AR will learn this lesson too and we will see more players play through minor scuffs more, just don't expect heavy minutes with significant issues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So I’m gonna preface this with me having been in the side of the fence that Pittman is a true number WR1.  That said

pittman has BALLS and is tough as nails. With an injury that needs surgery, to his back mind you, he decided to gut it out. His decision showed his toughness which we already knew about yes, but it sent a message to the team.

Time to shut up, suck it up, and play. A message that even Josh Downs said convinced him to play when he was debating sitting with a toe injury.  Seems that the theory of the colts being soft is true, have the coaches been overly cautious with injuries and player too soft? Pittman seems to think so and his message seems to be finding open ears in the locker room. 

mad respect to Pittman!

I forget who, but someone here posted a tweet showing total game-injuries for all the teams and the Colts were top 2. I think there might be something to it when it’s said players are too soft. This is a general statement of course there are guys like Nelson who’s played whole seasons injured. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, csmopar said:

…have the coaches been overly cautious with injuries and player too soft?

I think yes; and it is my opinion that we’re witnessing the echo of Andrew Luck. It’s as though the organization has over corrected because the pain of losing another gifted QB to permanent injury is too heavy to bear. 

They have to find that middle place so AR can grow (and be able to play through adversity) but not damage himself. They are causing a different kind of damage instead. 

Do I make sense?

• Like 1

I had a major injury to my abdomen about 11 years ago and it causes constant pain. sitting and laying down are the most painful however I still play hockey at age 59 because when I play the testosterone and adrenalin act as natural pain killers. I would think AR would feel better with more activity and unless he is hurt worst than we are led to believe he should just nut up and play 

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

🤣

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I had a major injury to my abdomen about 11 years ago and it causes constant pain. sitting and laying down are the most painful however I still play hockey at age 59 because when I play the testosterone and adrenalin act as natural pain killers. I would think AR would feel better with more activity and unless he is hurt worst than we are led to believe he should just nut up and play 

🤣

That’s great that you still skate!

The only way AR is going to get better is if he gets real game reps.  And it’s the only way the Colts can determine if he’s our franchise QB.  

Unless there’s more chance of further injury he should be playing.  I know it’s easy for me to say, but it’s the NFL, every one plays with some pain.  

58 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What does this even mean?

it's a suggestion that Kelly is milking injuries to sit and receive pay, it also has a slight political undertone with a clear distaste for unions and perhaps the entire political web connected to unions. (Kelly is our NFLPA rep pretty sure)

most likely from a place of ignorance. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKB said:

it's a suggestion that Kelly is milking injuries to sit and receive pay, it also has a slight political undertone with a clear distaste for unions and perhaps the entire political web connected to unions. (Kelly is our NFLPA rep pretty sure)

To me, the main positive is more reps for Tanor Bortolini, and more opportunities to go against more NFL fronts. This will make Ballard's decision easier if he was ever on the fence about Ryan Kelly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To me, the main positive is more reps for Tanor Bortolini, and more opportunities to go against more NFL fronts. This will make Ballard's decision easier if he was ever on the fence about Ryan Kelly.

our offensive line depth is actually pretty solid. I expected to see Gonclaves at RG instead of Tucker. Goes to show that not only did he grab some good depth in Bortolini, Freeland, and Gonclaves, but they also found another good rookie in Tucker. 

To me, this is a good example of Ballard keeping a position stocked properly. With a young rookie QB, and a statue of a vet as backup, we need stability on the line. I am fully confident that Bortolini always was the replacement plan for Kelly. And I believe Gonclaves can be a swing interior, with Freeland the swing tackle. What's great is that Gonclaves could also play tackle if needed

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AKB said:

So when you don't understand people you take it upon yourself to fill in the blanks and say they are ignorant........ That is the definition of ignorance!

I worked for the local 7 union for 30 years....It's ok to ask questions before assuming people are ignorant.

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

our offensive line depth is actually pretty solid. I expected to see Gonclaves at RG instead of Tucker. Goes to show that not only did he grab some good depth in Bortolini, Freeland, and Gonclaves, but they also found another good rookie in Tucker. 

To me, this is a good example of Ballard keeping a position stocked properly. With a young rookie QB, and a statue of a vet as backup, we need stability on the line. I am fully confident that Bortolini always was the replacement plan for Kelly. And I believe Gonclaves can be a swing interior, with Freeland the swing tackle. What's great is that Gonclaves could also play tackle if needed

If only Ballard could draft defensive backs and interior pass rushers like he does with OL, we'd be golden :) , Could use some LB help too.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

So I’m gonna preface this with me having been in the side of the fence that Pittman is a true number WR1.  That said

pittman has BALLS and is tough as nails. With an injury that needs surgery, to his back mind you, he decided to gut it out. His decision showed his toughness which we already knew about yes, but it sent a message to the team.

Time to shut up, suck it up, and play. A message that even Josh Downs said convinced him to play when he was debating sitting with a toe injury.  Seems that the theory of the colts being soft is true, have the coaches been overly cautious with injuries and player too soft? Pittman seems to think so and his message seems to be finding open ears in the locker room. 

mad respect to Pittman!

I was on here telling @Supermanplayers are soft today compared to the 80's and 90's players, maybe they read my posts. Pittman made me eat crow and I love it and it wore off on Downs, now Taylor needs to get his butt out there. it's winning time. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was on here telling @Supermanplayers are soft today compared to the 80's and 90's players, maybe they read my posts. Pittman made me eat crow and I love it and it wore off on Downs, now Taylor needs to get his butt out there. it's winning time. 

its interesting to me that JT holds in for more money gets the money because RBs may get injured and discarded and then he continues to have issues with that same ankle. 

15 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

So when you don't understand people you take it upon yourself to fill in the blanks and say they are ignorant........ That is the definition of ignorance!

I worked for the local 7 union for 30 years....It's ok to ask questions before assuming people are ignorant.

and yet you still didn't explain yourself. 

32 minutes ago, AKB said:

Goncalves has been ticketed for a tackle spot I believe.   Freeland can’t get active.  He’s struggling.  Goncalves is the swing tackle now.  Ballard really hit it on the OL draft this year.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think he is trying to say Kelly mailed it in. 

I saw Kelly limping after the game as he was going to the locker room.  I don’t think he’s mailing it in.  Players get hurt and he has played when hurt.  If that poster is thinking Kelly is mailing it in I don’t see it at all.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Goncalves has been ticketed for a tackle spot I believe.   Freeland can’t get active.  He’s struggling.  Goncalves is the swing tackle now.  Ballard really hit it on the OL draft this year.

they must have good faith in Gonclaves if Freeland isn't active

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

mad respect to Pittman!

I couldn't agree more with you here.

Flacco was just on PatMcAfee (2nd time in two weeks) and this exact topic came up. Flacco echoed how tough as hell Pitt is and there was an emphasis on toughness and availability.

I said it last week when Shane echoed something similar in a press conference...It's pretty clear they are emphasizing this big time. Hopefully AR gets the message.

16 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

I couldn't agree more with you here.

Flacco was just on PatMcAfee (2nd time in two weeks) and this exact topic came up. Flacco echoed how tough as hell Pitt is and there was an emphasis on toughness and availability.

I said it last week when Shane echoed something similar in a press conference...It's pretty clear they are emphasizing this big time. Hopefully AR gets the message.

I think it’s the coaches holding AR out not the other way around.  I think they are being overly cautious which I’m not on board with.  I think they feel they can do it knowing they have Flacco which is an upgrade over Minschew.  I fully expect AR to start this week.

55 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think he is trying to say Kelly mailed it in. 

Based on nothing.   Kelly is a gamer.  He wouldn't have come out of He wasn't hurt

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think it’s the coaches holding AR out not the other way around.  I think they are being overly cautious which I’m not on board with.  I think they feel they can do it knowing they have Flacco which is an upgrade over Minschew.  I fully expect AR to start this week.

What are you basing any of this on?

1 hour ago, DavePSL said:

Maybe you should have been more clear on your first post

1 hour ago, DavePSL said:

I did ask the question.   You never answered it

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

mad respect to Pittman!

I’ll say this: as someone with back issues that required spinal fusion surgery, it’s tricky. You WANT to be tough and gut things out. There have been more days than I can count where I’ve woken up in so much pain, I needed help out of bed. I’ve had far worse days. 

I’m not a professional athlete and obviously don’t get the same type of care and such as they do, but it’s hard. You WANT to do things. You WANT to not hurt. You WANT to show how tough you are. Even on my worst days stuck in bed, I tried to be somewhat mobile. 

So while I applaud Pittman for toughing it out, he needs to be careful. I got a little too cocky about a month ago and ended up stuck in bed again for a few days. 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

mad respect to Pittman!

No doubt Pitt is tough.   I'm not seeing anywhere he needs surgery 

Based on nothing.   Kelly is a gamer.  He wouldn't have come out of He wasn't hurt

Steichen’s comments in his presser today.  Zach Hicks as well.