Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster moves

GoColts8818

41 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Can you name a few?

Yes, I'll name 5th-7th rounders that we've been trying to rely on

(Granted, some have actually panned out.  Others, not so much)

2017 round 5 - LB Anthony Walker

2018 round 7 - LB Zaire Franklin

2019 round 5 - LB E J Speed

2019 round 5 - DB Marvell Tell

2020 round 5 - OL Danny Pinter

2020 round 6 - CB Isaiah Rodgers

2020 round 6 - WR Dezmon Patmon

2021 round 7 - OL Will Fries

2022 round 6 - TE Andrew Ogletree

2022 round 7 - DB Rodney Thomas

2023 round 7 - CB Jaylon Jones

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

So..Tell and Patmon were wiffs. The others are good players. Youre not proving your point.

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So..Tell and Patmon were wiffs. The others are good players. Youre not proving your point.

I think the other poster's point was, in effect, why are we relying on 5th-7th rounders when we really ought to be relying on 1st-3rd rounders.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Remember when Ballard went out and got Rodney McLeod because cross was a rookie. He ended up being the starter. We need more of that.

He does that. He goes out and gets vets that outplay his draft picks (as they should) and then inexplicably gets rid of them. Not only did he do that with McLeod, but he did it with Gilmore. He was great for his and then he traded him to Dallas and said it was basically because of his age, which was nonsense. He’s still playing now and we don’t have any corners as good as him.

TBH I’m starting to think it’s an ego thing with Ballard. It’s like aside from Buckner, he wants to win with only his “guys”. Players that he drafted or signed as UDFA’s and developed. Remember he hit with Autry and then let him walk and FA and rolled with Paye, Banogu, Turray and Dayo (who was injured)? 

If you look at our 53 man roster before week 1, the only players on the time that weren’t drafted/signed as UDFAs by us were Buckner, Raekwon Davis, Taven Bryan, Matt Gaye, Ebukam, and Samuel Womack.

It seems like he wants to be the smartest guy in the room by trying to show he can re-invent the wheel by just having a team full of drafted and developed players where his FA spending is just him going out and re-signing his own guys. I honestly think his long term goal is to have an entire 53 man roster of just Colts drafted and signed players. Thats why he’s hesitant to bring anyone in and keeps just hyping up the young players.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I think the other poster's point was, in effect, why are we relying on 5th-7th rounders when we really ought to be relying on 1st-3rd rounders.

Didn't we also draft 1st and 3rd rounders in those drafts?

I think we did and they are generally people we all like, too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Because the whole roster can’t be 1st-3rd rounders.  You have to find hidden gems.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because the whole roster can’t be 1st-3rd rounders.  You have to find hidden gems.  

Ok, I'm backing out of this one.  This was @jbaron04's point that he was making.  All I did was answer the question "Name me one" 5th-7th round player we were attempting to rely on.  I'll let him make his own arguments.

4 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Ok, I'm backing out of this one.  This was @jbaron04's point that he was making.  All I did was answer the question "Name me one" 5th-7th round player we were attempting to rely on.  I'll let him make his own arguments.

It’s fine those are all names but when most of them have gone on to be good players it doesn’t exactly help the point.  I’d also say it was different if Ballard had drafted nothing but busts in rounds 1-3 but he hasn’t.  Yes he’s had misses, every GM does, but he’s had some massive hits too.  I think Ballard flaw is that pretty much avoids free agency like the plague.  Even Polian, the ultimate build through the draft guy, used off-season free agency more than Ballard does.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Actually, the Colts starting O is comprised of 1-3 round draft picks other than RG and TE

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

So they made room for 2 spots on the active roster, with Fries to IR and waiving Flowers. Who is going to take those spots will they elevate from practice squad or bring someone in from FA.

Unsure yet.  If Kelly can play Sunday they might need an end more than another olineman.  So they could be waiting to see how injuries shake out or Ballard could be working on something else.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Only "good" player there is Fries, the rest are average or worse.

• Like 4

We lost but that does not bother me because we scored 34 points. We do have an offense. Game was competitive. Steichen is learning as well.

Defense is the weak link and that is not new for the Colts fan. Maybe Steichen has awaken to replacing Gus Bradley as DC. At this stage Jim Irsay will NEVER see another Super Bowl ring. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

our whole secondary is dookie. Not surprised in the slightest. Wonder why everyone was bashing Ballard for not signing free agent secondary in the offseason..

looks like the so called forum gms were right about the corners

• Like 2

Hate that I was right on Flowers injury, have a nice debate during the summer saying he would not start over Jones and if his speed was compromised he wouldnt have a job as a returner. Then we signed Womack who is a better player then Long who is a much better and experienced player. Many of us had call for some vet additions at corner and we got them in Womack and Long (Not who we wanted when talking names but good solid players). I hope Dallis gets back to ps and hope his speed returns but not sure it will.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

So they made room for 2 spots on the active roster, with Fries to IR and waiving Flowers. Who is going to take those spots will they elevate from practice squad or bring someone in from FA.

Buckner and Lewis eventually for this week David Long (He will be on squad rest of season barring injury) and maybe Mafi.

11 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

looks like the so called forum gms were right about the corners

It’s the whole secondary. Cross has played well but it’s not like he’s Derwin James out there. Also Blackmon hasn’t played well, but I’m not surprised. But this is the issue with the secondary:

JuJu Brents-2nd round pick

Jaylon Jones- 7th round pick

Nick Cross-3rd round pick

Julian Blackmon-3rd round pick

Rodney Thomas- 7the round pick

Womack-5th round pick

Chris Lammons- UDFA

Trevor Denbow- UDFA

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s the whole secondary. Cross has played well but it’s not like he’s Derwin James out there. Also Blackmon hasn’t played well, but I’m not surprised. But this is the issue with the secondary:

JuJu Brents-2nd round pick

Jaylon Jones- 7th round pick

Nick Cross-3rd round pick

Julian Blackmon-3rd round pick

Rodney Thomas- 7the round pick

Womack-5th round pick

Chris Lammons- UDFA

Trevor Denbow- UDFA

It’s definitely coaching, IMO. Otherwise how did the Chiefs develop Sneed to be an All Pro as a 4th rounder, and outside McDuffie that’s a 1st rounder, their CBs and safeties in Bryan Cook, Chamarri Conner, Joshua Williams and Jaylen Watson all drafted Round 2 or later with

In fact Cook is the ONLY 2nd rounder from the above list and the rest Rounds 4 or later. They have Jaden Hicks waiting in the wings as a 4th rounder for safety.

Whatever happened to Darrell Baker Jr? He was the one CB during the preseason and training camp that stood out but surprisingly did not make final cuts. I believe Venturi was very high on him. Makes you question the evaluation process. Ballards CB draft picks have a horrible history. That’s where the lack of using free agency to fix misses has cost the Colts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdblue17 said:

Whatever happened to Darrell Baker Jr? He was the one CB during the preseason and training camp that stood out but surprisingly did not make final cuts. I believe Venturi was very high on him. Makes you question the evaluation process. Ballards CB draft picks have a horrible history. That’s where the lack of using free agency to fix misses has cost the Colts. 

Baker was bad last year and think that left a bad taste that was hard to cleanse, signed with Tenn and we may see him a bit this week but he has only played 25 snaps for them on D, though 65 on st.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

It’s definitely coaching, IMO. Otherwise how did the Chiefs develop Sneed to be an All Pro as a 4th rounder, and outside McDuffie that’s a 1st rounder, their CBs and safeties in Bryan Cook, Chamarri Conner, Joshua Williams and Jaylen Watson all drafted Round 2 or later with

In fact Cook is the ONLY 2nd rounder from the above list and the rest Rounds 4 or later. They have Jaden Hicks waiting in the wings as a 4th rounder for safety.

Coaching is awful and the actual talent we have is awful. Both of these things can be simultaneously true.

Sneed is an exception to the rule, not the rule. The other top corners in the league are Surtain, Ramsey, Sauce, A.J. Terell, Jaire Alexander, Humphrey, and Marshon Lattimore. All are 1st round draft picks.

7 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Very Interesting. Matt Gay was limping on the sidelines and very few of us trust Gay to make big kicks 

Man, even most of his extra point La this past week looked dangerously close to being missed.  How hard is it to split the uprights down the middle from such close range.  Kind of sucks that even for short kicks become hold your breath plays. lol

• Like 1