Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jags post game

GoColts8818

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think it’s very unfair to even compare him to Peyton.

I’m in your camp as far as wanting to see how this season plays out. 

But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t very concerned on a pattern of missing games every season due to injury from high school to college and now the NFL. 

The point is let’s let these guys develop. It’s not really comparing. Imagine if Peyton had been a rookie today with all the social  media. He would be getting killed.  You know Shane is working on his awareness to hell him. This was actually my concern last year when he kept getting hurt. It was clear he knows how to play the game and wasn’t overwhelmed but reps are the only thing that is going to help his awareness. He is still the youngest QB in the league.

We should be excited for the future of this offense. It looks very explosive. 

5 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

IMO, to be fair to ballard....I think he has the right idea how to build a team. Strong in the trenches and a strong defense with a good running game and OL and great coaching  is the way to go with a young QB. Denver, Chicago and Washington are doing it right now. The strategy is sound, the problem is Ballard is a terrible evaluater of talent and coaching (Remember josh daniels) . He has spent a ton of capitol on the DL and secondary and it is still bad and I'm talking before injuries. The LBers are average  but He's done a good job with the OL and RB. Finally, decent with WR's, and terrible with the TE's. When you miss as much as Ballard does and refuse to use free agency to fill your voids and cover up your mistakes, you have a team like Ballard builds, below 500 and flawed. To be fair, NO GM in today's NFL builds a team only by his own drafting....NOT ONE!!!!!!

I said this before the season started, they did AR a disservice buy not giving him a TE and handing him a bad defense because that will ruin a rookie QB every time. AR knows he's looked at as the savior and he will do whatever it takes to try and be a savior but it's Ballard's fault he has that burden on him when Ballard had the chance to do more and get better coaches. Instead he laughed at everybody and signed average players and ignored gaping holes and kept bad coaches and here we sit and just like Flacco had to carry the team today, that's how AR will feel every week trying to hide this teams flaws. Absolutely the best way to ruin a young QB. We all know where this is heading. Gus will be canned as the scapegoat just like Reich to save Ballard's * and Ballard will talk about how it wasn't Gus' fault because of all  the injuries and we will hand Ballard another top 10 pick to blow and Ballard will ignore free agency and tell us there is a lot of talent returning from injury next year, Rinse and repeat. Damn shame what he is doing to AR but that too will play itself out at some point. It is hard to draft for 8 years on defense and have not ONE player that Ballard drafted that made a probowl and got a second contract on this team. NOT ONE!!!!!!I could buy draft magazines to reference and do better than that in 8 years.

Manning is a top 5 all timer and had HOFers with him on offense and he spent years trying to hide a bad defense. It wasn't until Irsay went and got a real coach and started understanding the importance of defense and brought in real defensive talent instead of bargain talent before they won it all and was a real SB contender. That finally took the pressure off of Manning. Now put yourself in AR's shoes.

This dline was set up nice. But when you lose 50% of your players with injury it’s not going to be pretty. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The point is let’s let these guys develop. It’s not really comparing. Imagine if Peyton had been a rookie today with all the social  media. He would be getting killed.  You know Shane is working on his awareness to hell him. This was actually my concern last year when he kept getting hurt. It was clear he knows how to play the game and wasn’t overwhelmed but reps are the only thing that is going to help his awareness. He is still the youngest QB in the league.

This dline was set up nice. But when you lose 50% of your players with injury it’s not going to be pretty. 

Nice as in giving up almost 500 yards rushing the first 2 weeks and losing both games which included a backup QB making his first start on a new team. DL's that are "set up nice" don't allow yardage like that and play losing football.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Same story different year. At some point, you just get over that excuse. Every Super Bowl winning team deals with injuries. It gives context but it’s not an excuse.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Same story different year. At some point, you just get over that excuse. Every Super Bowl winning team deals with injuries. It gives context but it’s not an excuse.

We don’t lose 50% of our dline every year like today. 

2 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Nice as in giving up almost 500 yards rushing the first 2 weeks and losing both games which included a backup QB making his first start on a new team. DL's that are "set up nice" don't allow yardage like that and play losing football.

That rushing was an outlier. They fixed it. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why are you whining when he didn’t play today. If he had played we probably have a better run game and don’t get down 14 points 

I'm not whining at all, I simply replied to you talking about how obvious it is that he's a good player when it's not obvious to anyone but you.

6 hours ago, jemack said:

Not watching another game til Bradley is gone. 

Boycotting products advertised during games.wouldn't hurt either. 

But Bradley not really the problem, Ballard is the one who hired him. And his scheme is similar to the previous DC and probably the same as  Bradley's replacement will be. 

The better the offense is, the worst the defense will be...... And vice versa. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think two things can be true at same time. Colts need a better DC but this game was not all on Gus.

I am not talking  first two games. We seemed to fix it. The dline was not healthy today.

Stop it. You can’t say we fixed it on the one hand and on the other blame inuries for the reason it did not perform well. You’re shoving your foot in your mouth at this point.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Stop it. You can’t say we fixed it on the one hand and on the other boat inuries for the reason it did not perform well. You’re shoving your foot in your mouth at this point.

What did you think was going to happen with 5 of 10 y dline   out. You have to give them a little grace.

I knew this was going  to be a shootout that’s why i was ok with Flacco starting.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What did you think was going to happen with 5 of your dlinemen  out. You have to give them a little grace.

I knew this was going  to be a shootout that’s why i was ok with Flacco starting.

Which is why I blame irsay. We reach this point year after year. It’s injuries. It’s not being able to stop the opposition when the colts need a punt. Or offense stalls out when we need 30 yards for a field goal. At what point do you say this isn’t working irsay?

6 hours ago, Uchiha Shisui said:

Seen that Fries went down in the second half, anyone take notice of how Tucker did filling in at RG?

I thought he did a good job. Did not notice any missed blocks. Most pressure came from outside 

• Like 1

Imagine if we jammed receivers to mess up timing instead of giving them free reign for the first 5+ yards, we have corners that can play physical we just don't let them. It would then actually give more time for our DL to get to the QB. Ironically on those deep passes our CBs were biting on the quick pass which allowed the WR to run pass them. So we were giving 5+ yard buffers allowing easy pass and catch on the quick pass and it was happening so frequent when they went deep our CBs froze when the WRs went deep leaving them wide open. So worst of both worlds, thats on coaching. 

I don't expect any mid-season changes unless it gets historically bad, but its the same problem as last year really where the offense is scoring enough to win but our defense loses the game. I mean for awhile last year we had a top 5 offense but a losing record.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, colts89 said:

I'm surprised some of y'all are upset. I took this game as a lose as a given before the season started lmao. Far better Colts teams have lost to equally bad Jag teams in Duval in the last decade. At this point it's a L until they prove otherwise.

I said it in the game thread, but at the very least this gives the Jaguars some renewed confidence in T Law and I see that as a win in the long run lmao

True...... Season openers & games in Duvall County don't go  under the win column for the colts.

But at least this time the game wasn't over in the first quarter. Today the colts were competitive in Jax and it actually went down to the wire. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

We just put new turf in Lucas Oil this very offseason as well as at West 56th street

I know...I am hoping they upgraded it from a higher level and not just put in new turf with the same lower quality... I had no idea that there was different levels/ grades of turf they could choose from... I figured like nearly everyone else I guess that NFL Turf was the same... my industry offers me more in depth/ inside info that isn't necessarily easily available to the public...

1 hour ago, Joecolt15 said:

I thought he did a good job. Did not notice any missed blocks. Most pressure came from outside 

He did really well the real test will come as teams get tape on him and figure out how to attack him.  Its a shame Fries went down he was having a great season but this is a chance for Tucker.

41 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

This defense gives QBs career days whether they’re healthy or not. 

What did Matt Ryan say on air last year?  If you're a young or struggling QB, the Colt defense is exactly what you want to see coming to town.

40 minutes ago, CS Coltsfan said:

I know...I am hoping they upgraded it from a higher level and not just put in new turf with the same lower quality... I had no idea that there was different levels/ grades of turf they could choose from... I figured like nearly everyone else I guess that NFL Turf was the same... my industry offers me more in depth/ inside info that isn't necessarily easily available to the public...

There was a story when this turf was put in that it’s one of the better turfs out there and players like it.  Fans need to let go of this phantom idea that the turf is the cause of the injuries.  You could argue the two most serious injuries have been to Buckner and Fries and those both happened on natural grass.  Football is violent game.  Players get hurt regardless of the surface.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Imagine if we jammed receivers to mess up timing instead of giving them free reign for the first 5+ yards, we have corners that can play physical we just don't let them. It would then actually give more time for our DL to get to the QB. Ironically on those deep passes our CBs were biting on the quick pass which allowed the WR to run pass them. So we were giving 5+ yard buffers allowing easy pass and catch on the quick pass and it was happening so frequent when they went deep our CBs froze when the WRs went deep leaving them wide open. So worst of both worlds, thats on coaching. 

I don't expect any mid-season changes unless it gets historically bad, but its the same problem as last year really where the offense is scoring enough to win but our defense loses the game. I mean for awhile last year we had a top 5 offense but a losing record.

I’d just settle for attacking rather than always playing reactive.  Both the Colts and Jags didn’t have much going on the ground today until late yet the Jags defense attacked the Colts receivers at all levels and it was causing fits for the Colts passing game until late.  Meanwhile Lawrence could have whatever he wanted whenever he wanted it.  This letting QBs have a career day vs your secondary every week is not sustainable.  Even Dungy’s teams, the kings of the Tampa 2 didn’t let teams do that to them.  They attacked at times and that’s what is missing from Bradley’s defense IMO.  Add in some awful tackling which has been an underrated story and guys constantly blowing assignments in the backend and the Colts defense is an oppressing offense’s dream.  

You can’t change all the players in season.  Heck, with the new deals you might not be able to change them this off-season.  So that leaves the coaches.  What Bradley is doing is simply not working and not sustainable.  You are also starting to see the players look like they are quitting (I clearly have no clue if they are or not).  That’s why I think you have to make change.  No an in season change isn’t going to fix everything.  However, I don’t think you can keep trotting a coach out there whose defense gives up 300 yards passing every week and also 100 yards on the ground every week and is too stubborn to get away from a “do what we do” mentality.  

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

AR can play the game just fine. Anyone who watches him knows he can play the position well. Some of these hot takes are crazy. The question will be can his football awareness get better so he protects himself better.

Watch Daniels game today.  It was a masterpiece in how to play the QB position as a running/passing QB.  He is in his 5th game as a rookie and I felt like I was watching a seasoned pro.  He was so good he didn't need to play the last quarter.  He ran I think 11 times and I don't know if he got hit more than once.  This is a guy who is 2 inches shorter than AR and at least 35 pounds lighter.   But he makes AR look like a grade schooler when it comes to being a running QB.

What I don't like about AR at this point is his complete lack of taking any accountability for getting hurt.  He doesn't slide.  He rarely runs out of bounds.   He runs into defenders and takes them on like he is a RB but instead of inflicting punishment?  He tends to let up at the very last second while at the same time being in the same position as if he was a RB.  

It is very strange.  And judging by his words this week he doesn't seem to want to change.

I think AR has as much talent as any QB in the league.  But his mind?   And his ability to take pain?  I put that at the lower end of any QB in the league.  They need to sit him until he admits to himself, the team, and the fans that protecting himself is issue #1, 2, 3, and 4 through 100.  But I really don't think he gets it. 

My prediction is he does not finish out the year because he will get hurt..........again.   In which case the Colts should fire Ballard (they should anyway) and try to get another QB to at least show AR that he is not going to just be given the starting job. 

He needs to learn to play the right way, ala Daniels, or just retire.  Because no one he is going to last playing the way he is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

It’s all about trading back for a couple extra fifth rounders because CB loves them picks! 

That is one thing that drives me crazy.  I realize there are salary cap implications, but when I see guys like D Adams or a Diggs being traded for a 4th rounder or something similar?  I just cringe that the Colts never get in on those trades.

Like any 5th rounder in the world will ever be a player as good as those guys.  To me, GMs like Ballard way way WAY overestimate the value of any pick beyond the second round.   Many of those guys will barely make the team, and if they do, they are very rarely are difference makers.   It has become that guys like Ballard think of these draft picks like gold nuggets.

The truth are most are just Fools Gold. 

3 hours ago, DavePSL said:

IMO, to be fair to ballard....I think he has the right idea how to build a team. Strong in the trenches and a strong defense with a good running game and OL and great coaching  is the way to go with a young QB. Denver, Chicago and Washington are doing it right now. The strategy is sound, the problem is Ballard is a terrible evaluater of talent and coaching (Remember josh daniels) . He has spent a ton of capitol on the DL and secondary and it is still bad and I'm talking before injuries. The LBers are average  but He's done a good job with the OL and RB. Finally, decent with WR's, and terrible with the TE's. When you miss as much as Ballard does and refuse to use free agency to fill your voids and cover up your mistakes, you have a team like Ballard builds, below 500 and flawed. To be fair, NO GM in today's NFL builds a team only by his own drafting....NOT ONE!!!!!!

I said this before the season started, they did AR a disservice buy not giving him a TE and handing him a bad defense because that will ruin a rookie QB every time. AR knows he's looked at as the savior and he will do whatever it takes to try and be a savior but it's Ballard's fault he has that burden on him when Ballard had the chance to do more and get better coaches. Instead he laughed at everybody and signed average players and ignored gaping holes and kept bad coaches and here we sit and just like Flacco had to carry the team today, that's how AR will feel every week trying to hide this teams flaws. Absolutely the best way to ruin a young QB. We all know where this is heading. Gus will be canned as the scapegoat just like Reich to save Ballard's * and Ballard will talk about how it wasn't Gus' fault because of all  the injuries and we will hand Ballard another top 10 pick to blow and Ballard will ignore free agency and tell us there is a lot of talent returning from injury next year, Rinse and repeat. Damn shame what he is doing to AR but that too will play itself out at some point. It is hard to draft for 8 years on defense and have not ONE player that Ballard drafted that made a probowl and got a second contract on this team. NOT ONE!!!!!!I could buy draft magazines to reference and do better than that in 8 years.

Manning is a top 5 all timer and had HOFers with him on offense and he spent years trying to hide a bad defense. It wasn't until Irsay went and got a real coach and started understanding the importance of defense and brought in real defensive talent instead of bargain talent before they won it all and was a real SB contender. That finally took the pressure off of Manning. Now put yourself in AR's shoes.

Agree with most of that and as I said in an earlier post, this lack of accountability from Ballard, where he can say things like, "I do what I do and if I get fired so be it"?  It is wearing off on AR.  In other words Ballard is a very bad influence on AR. 

For AR to say, after getting injured for the 100th time in 2 years....all on runs mind you.....not QB sacks.  All runs.  Where he can say "I do what I do (not sliding) and if the fans don't like it than whatever"? 

I find that as inexcusable as Ballard saying if he gets fired for his beliefs that so be it.

News flash.  If what you are doing isn't working, in Ballard's case his team building approach and in  AR's case his lack of protecting himself approach, it might be time to try something different.  But neither one seems as if they are in any hurry to do that. 

They seem to be feeding off each other in weakness.  Ballard needs to GO.  Before he wrecks AR for good.

4 hours ago, CS Coltsfan said:

My understanding is that it is what the NFLPA recommended 

9 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Which is why I blame irsay. We reach this point year after year. It’s injuries. It’s not being able to stop the opposition when the colts need a punt. Or offense stalls out when we need 30 yards for a field goal. At what point do you say this isn’t working irsay?

Not sure Mr. Irsay is in any physical/medical state to really care.

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Boycotting products advertised during games.wouldn't hurt either. 

But Bradley not really the problem, Ballard is the one who hired him. And his scheme is similar to the previous DC and probably the same as  Bradley's replacement will be. 

The better the offense is, the worst the defense will be...... And vice versa. 

I'm really not boycotting. I'm relieving myself from Sunday frustrations. And watching their defense is number one on the list. When the defense attacks the gap, they do much better. When the secondary plays man coverage, they do much better. This read and react soft coverage is frustrating to watch. Not to mention their tackling. I'll do other things. 

I can't begin to tell you of my Sunday attitude in the 80's 😂. Thankfully, we got an SB win since becoming a fan.

7 hours ago, #12. said:

What did Matt Ryan say on air last year?  If you're a young or struggling QB, the Colt defense is exactly what you want to see coming to town.

Sounds right. The Colts are second to last in the league now in giving up 8.4 yards per passing attempt and near the bottom in allowing opposing QBs to complete 71.7% of their passes. And that's after playing mostly B-level QBs so far. Yikes. 

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think two things can be true at same time. Colts need a better DC but this game was not all on Gus.

I am not talking  first two games. We seemed to fix it. The dline was not healthy today.

The Dline wasn't healthy, sure, but why is it with a second-round pick, Obeyingo, at one DE and a first-round pick, Latu, at the other DE, the Colts got zero pass rush all game? 

8 hours ago, #12. said:

It's been that way for decades it seems. I remember Minshew going 21 of 22 against us .... ironically,in Jville

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's been that way for decades it seems. I remember Minshew going 21 of 22 against us .... ironically,in Jville

In practice, Matt Ryan probably thought he had another decade in him.  

• Like 1