Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bears post game thread

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Patience is a virtue

its very hard to be patient .....  before the season started I was thinking logically saying AR needs at least two full years before we can judge him .  During the last two weeks its been very hard not to vent about AR .....  

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Levis just makes bone headed throws. For a guy that is more polished than Richardson  he should  not make those throws

What's concerning about Levis is he's 25 and he hasn't improved at all. For him it's more of a mindset issue. Similar to Wentz it doesn't matter how much you coach them up you can't take that part of the game out of him. 

WE absolutely need way more QB designed runs and play action to keep the defense off of AR.   WE need to do what the redskins did RG3's first year .  Shane is trying to call plays like AR is mahomes and its not working well .  Let him develop over time but we need to simplify the offense and be a heavy run team .

• Like 2

Just now, coming on strong said:

its very hard to be patient .....  before the season started I was thinking logically saying AR needs at least two full years before we can judge him .  During the last two weeks its been very hard not to vent about AR .....  

I was patient in the 80s and early 90s before Peyton! I dont think I have the patience in me anymore! Getting too old for this shhh!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smittywerb said:

GOOD

- We got our first one in the win column.  It was ugly, but a win is a win.

- Defense (as a whole):  I thought Caleb was going to shred us, but actually he didn’t.  I mean don’t get me wrong, he threw 2 TDs and had 353 yards but he threw 52 times and avged 7yards a throw.  I’ll take that.  Completely shut down the run as well with some sacks and turnovers to go with it.

Jaylon Jones:  2 INTs on the day.  

JT:  over 100yds, 2 touchdowns, caught some passes as well.  That’s what we pay him for.

Latu:  rook came through with the strip sack!

Nick Cross:  keep him at SS please.

OL:  gave up one sack and opened up holes for the run game.  Another week of them showing why they’re best right now

MEH

- Shane Steichen:  the playcalling at first was horrible but it seemed he calmed down, started to lean on the run, and good things began to happen.  Shane would be in the bad section if this wasn’t a win but since we did because of his change in playcalling he gets a “meh”.  Keep it simple, don’t have AR throw more than 25 times, lean on the run until we can’t, and this team will look much better.

- AR:  right reads, horrible throws.  But he made up for it with his legs late.  Made some key plays that were important to our success.  Im not as hard on him as others because I understand the situation and I honestly place more blame on Shane on not putting AR situations where he can use his strengths.  But AR finished another game and that’s what is most important, MORE EXPERIENCE. 

- Pass Defense:  Idk if this is on Gus Bradley or personnel, just seemed like Kmet was just constantly open.  Odunze got 6 catches off 11 targets so eh and DJ Moore had a good game as well.  But idk, when a qb throws 53 times they’re going to produce, but for us to play so much zone and cover 2/3 we’d see better numbers. 

BAD

- Shane playcalling for 3/4 of the game:  keep the plays sophisticated and exotic but keep the playcalling simple.  Lean on the run, play action, give AR easy situations.  It’s that simple.  

I agree with what u said. About Richardson. I would rather have a young qb that appears to be reading what's out there then a young qb with a laser accurate arm who looks lost. I think u can build on the arm more than what's between the ears

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

So 2 weeks = 2 years......got it :thmup:

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

WE absolutely need way more QB designed runs and play action to keep the defense off of AR.   WE need to do what the redskins did RG3's first year .  Shane is trying to call plays like AR is mahomes and its not working well .  Let him develop over time but we need to simplify the offense and be a heavy run team .

Richardson needs throwing reps. It's not pretty but having him run more takes  away from seeing what he can do with his arm. He's a physical freak and that has already been established. I think they are purposefully putting him in plays that are asking him to use his mind rather than his legs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Time for you to become a Panthers fan.

If I am a defensive coordinator planning to face the Colts I wouldn’t worry about Richardson running the ball.   We are not designing any runs for him.  It looks we are afraid to run him because of the injury threat.  So he’s just a pocket passer now and not a good one.   

• Like 4

In the post game interview with AR he said he gets "antsy" when he sees a receiver open and thus the highball passes. Thats not something you can teach/correct from an outside source. Maybe if once the game slows down he can settle down but thats concerning. The great QB's have ice in their veins, can't teach it 

• Like 1

This was a good team win for a lot of reasons. Really think our safeties aren't getting enough credit. Very concerned about AR at this point but I love what I heard from him after the game because he is owning it in front of all his teamates and says he will play better so he must believe it. All we can ask for right now. This Pitt game is going to be a real test because they are a physical team and we want to be a physical team. Going to be interesting. BTW, DL did better than we could have asked for even though the Bears offense is bad. Colts did what they were supposed to do , beat an inferior team at home.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

In the post game interview with AR he said he gets "antsy" when he sees a receiver open and thus the highball passes. Thats not something you can teach/correct from an outside source. Maybe if once the game slows down he can settle down but thats concerning. The great QB's have ice in their veins, can't teach it 

Once the game slows down he will feel he doesn’t need to rush things like that. To me it’s easily correctable. Because it will stop being too fast eventually with more reps. Common for a younger QB.

Kent Sterling agreed with me in his post game analysis.  He also thinks Richardson’s throwing motion is a problem and leads to overthrowing the ball.  Many times sailing on him.  We can only hope they find a way to correct it.  Otherwise more interceptions and overthrows are coming.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

This was a good team win for a lot of reasons. Really think our safeties aren't getting enough credit. Very concerned about AR at this point but I love what I heard from him after the game because he is owning it in front of all his teamates and says he will play better so he must believe it. All we can ask for right now. This Pitt game is going to be a real test because they are a physical team and we want to be a physical team. Going to be interesting. BTW, DL did better than we could have asked for even though the Bears offense is bad. Colts did what they were supposed to do , beat an inferior team at home.

At least the dline didn’t play down to the bears Oline.

one win down without Buck. Probably 3 more to go.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Kent Sterling agreed with me in his post game analysis.  He also thinks Richardson’s throwing motion is a problem and leads to overthrowing the ball.  Many times sailing on him.  We can only hope they find a way to correct it.  Otherwise more interceptions and overthrows are coming.

There was something on Mcafee last year. AR actually had his throwing mechanics tested and they were great. It was more his foot work. But maybe he is just trying to get back to good arm mechanics after the surgery.

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Here's some good news:  AR has played Three Whole Games and didn't get injured.

I about died today when he played dead. Announced were AR down. Then he trolled us and got back up lol.

11 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Ice comes with game reps and cumulative success.  I’d be concerned if he didn’t have anything down on tape that shows he has the ability.  There’s some great throws to go along with the bad.  

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I about died today when he played dead. Announced were AR down. Then he trolled us and got back up lol.

I thought maybe he was trolling the Bears punter, who played dead and got the call.

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think they are purposefully putting him in plays that are asking him to use his mind rather than his legs. 

I believe exactly this. There is absolutely a reason they aren’t calling designed runs. They are training him. 

Richardson meeting his potential is job number one for this coaching staff. It is more important to the team than any sort of win/loss record this year. They all know it.

That is my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look, I don't care how many people agree or disagree normally with what I say.

AR is not accurate with his passing game. You cannot teach accuracy. You either have it or you don't. He does not.

When anyone in athletics over tries to get accurate whether it's a pitcher in baseball or a QB, the natural ability goes away, and the mind/brain takes over. Meaning they overthink it all the time. That could possibly be what is taking place right now but unlike baseball where a pitcher needs to find a very small zone, QB's have to throw receivers open in a large zone that just happens to have small zones in it or at least the great ones do all while the I-frame is on fire around them.

Everyone, including me, can hope this changes but I don't think the number of games or reps he takes is going to do that.

This QB is not going to win with his arm predominantly. HE HAS TO RUN the darn ball and draw the defense up to him in hopes it opens up the DEEP shots. He can chuck it a mile. All a receiver has to do is run under it. That's really not a consistent recipe for success though. That's where the problem lies.

@CR91 said the same thing I have been saying. This guy is NOT a pocket passer, and the offense CANNOT be RPO like the traditional RPO would be because in order for that to work he has to be extremely accurate with the short to intermediate quick read game and this is where he fails as well.

So, if he is not a traditional pocket passer and he cannot consistently be accurate in the traditional RPO, then what is he?

He is Cam Newton, and outside of that one magical year when the panthers went to the super bowl, Cam Newton sucked AS A QB and so did the panthers.

Cam could keep you in games with runs and draws and an occasional day when he passed just enough coupled with those runs to keep the panthers somewhat relevant but, in the end, it was never enough.

Now if you as a Colts fan want to go through that then you've got your wish. I personally do not and did not as I didn't want this guy so I say trade him for whatever you can get and move on. Again, Cam Newton SUCKS!! I don't care about athleticism. I care about QB play. I could care about a couple highlight reels AR will give us from time to time. I care about consistent winning and consistent QB play and so should you all. 

I would love to be wrong about this. In fact, I can't wait until I am, so everyone of you can call me out, but I have seen a lot of football, including Cam Newton over the years to know how this normally ends. As soon as they were comparing AR to that guy, the Colts should have so no thanks, but just like Cam, those every once in a while, athletic amazements keep you thinking something is there, the ceiling is high and then one day you look up and 10 years have gone by, and we have goose eggs for championships.

It's fools gold... Just sayin" and Ballard knew it. But he had no choice. He did, but he didn't so he rolled the dice. That roll I'm afraid is going to crap out and it's too bad because I honestly think this is a good guy who wants to win and be great. He just doesn't have it where you need it in this league the most and that is accuracy. 

Again, I hope I am wrong, but sometimes it seems like y'all have never watched a football game outside of the colts. 

-Peace

• Like 2

Isn’t this the first win for AR where he’s made it through the game healthy?

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Franklin out there talking smack after this game is not a good look. Next week will be much harder then today.

Franklin and speed are mediocre at best. We need upgrades at lb.

7 minutes ago, Indeee said:

AR is not accurate with his passing game. You cannot teach accuracy. You either have it or you don't. He does not.

When anyone in athletics over tries to get accurate whether it's a pitcher in baseball or a QB, the natural ability goes away, and the mind/brain takes over. Meaning they overthink it all the time. That could possibly be what is taking place right now but unlike baseball where a pitcher needs to find a very small zone, QB's have to throw receivers open in a large zone that just happens to have small zones in it or at least the great ones do all while the I-frame is on fire around them.

Everyone, including me, can hope this changes but I don't think the number of games or reps he takes is going to do that.

This QB is not going to win with his arm predominantly. HE HAS TO RUN the darn ball and draw the defense up to him in hopes it opens up the DEEP shots. He can chuck it a mile. All a receiver has to do is run under it. That's really not a consistent recipe for success though. That's where the problem lies.

@CR91 said the same thing I have been saying. This guy is NOT a pocket passer, and the offense CANNOT be RPO like the traditional RPO would be because in order for that to work he has to be extremely accurate with the short to intermediate quick read game and this is where he fails as well.

So, if he is not a traditional pocket passer and he cannot consistently be accurate in the traditional RPO, then what is he?

He is Cam Newton, and outside of that one magical year when the panthers went to the super bowl, Cam Newton sucked AS A QB and so did the panthers.

Cam could keep you in games with runs and draws and an occasional day when he passed just enough coupled with those runs to keep the panthers somewhat relevant but, in the end, it was never enough.

Now if you as a Colts fan want to go through that then you've got your wish. I personally do not and did not as I didn't want this guy so I say trade him for whatever you can get and move on. Again, Cam Newton SUCKS!! I don't care about athleticism. I care about QB play. I could care about a couple highlight reels AR will give us from time to time. I care about consistent winning and consistent QB play and so should you all. 

I would love to be wrong about this. In fact, I can't wait until I am, so everyone of you can call me out, but I have seen a lot of football, including Cam Newton over the years to know how this normally ends. As soon as they were comparing AR to that guy, the Colts should have so no thanks, but just like Cam, those every once in a while, athletic amazements keep you thinking something is there, the ceiling is high and then one day you look up and 10 years have gone by, and we have goose eggs for championships.

It's fools gold... Just sayin" and Ballard knew it. But he had no choice. He did, but he didn't so he rolled the dice. That roll I'm afraid is going to crap out and it's too bad because I honestly think this is a good guy who wants to win and be great. He just doesn't have it where you need it in this league the most and that is accuracy. 

Again, I hope I am wrong, but sometimes it seems like y'all have never watched a football game outside of the colts. 

-Peace

We’ll know in time, but there are plenty of examples of QBs and pitchers who are able to improve on accuracy.  It is a teachable skill, especially when you have the tools.  I’m confident in his mechanics, not so much with his capability to slow things down at the moment, which is the same for just about every young QB.  Even vets in big games go through the overthrow yips until they settle in. 

12 minutes ago, Breeze said:

We’ll know in time, but there are plenty of examples of QBs and pitchers who are able to improve on accuracy.  It is a teachable skill, especially when you have the tools.  I’m confident in his mechanics, not so much with his capability to slow things down at the moment, which is the same for just about every young QB.  Even vets in big games go through the overthrow yips until they settle in. 

I hope you are right. I think for me it's the "Cam Newton" comparison. If no one would have ever said that I would be right, there with you more than I am. But a lot of people compared him to Cam and that's why I sit where I sit coupled with what we have all witnessed to date.

4 hours ago, Jason_ said:

Stick to your madden franchise

A "terrible look"? What a silly overaction.   It's called coach speak and nearly 99% of coaches do it.  

Nah, I’ve heard plenty of coaches say “Wrong decision there but he’ll learn from it.” Shane is the one who sounds silly, like he’s coaching a middle school team. 

49 minutes ago, Indeee said:

-Peace

I agree. I believe if Flacco was starting we would be 3-0. AR has looked terrible for the most part.  Missing easy 3rd down completions and throwing picks.  Either you want to win now with Flacco or you don’t care about winning this year in hopes that AR improves his accuracy and might be better next season.  Look I Hope he magically gets better but like you I just don’t see it happening.

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He wasn't entirely wrong for saying that... Because it was a bad coaching decision. He doesn't need to scrutinize AR to the media, so long as he is calling him out behind closed doors and holding him accountable. There's multiple levels to that being a process of growth. 

That comment was when I decided to mostly ignore everything Steichen says publicly. I don't think his play call was bad, a little more complicated than necessary, but when you put the ball in the hands of the QB, he has to protect it. Especially deep in the red zone. Bottom line. It's okay for the QB to own responsibility for a fundamental mistake, he doesn't have to be protected. 

That said, I don't think this is anything Steichen doesn't know and believe. I just think he's decided that coachspeak is how he's going to communicate publicly, no matter what. Which is fine, but it also probably means that there's little to no value in his answers, especially in a situation where the player is clearly at fault. I don't like it, but I can live with it. 

Where I think he needs to do better and where we deserve better is when it comes to injury status. 'We'll work through that' is not a good enough answer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I agree. I believe if Flacco was starting we would be 3-0. AR has looked terrible for the most part.  Missing easy 3rd down completions and throwing picks.  Either you want to win now with Flacco or you don’t care about winning this year in hopes that AR improves his accuracy and might be better next season.  Look I Hope he magically gets better but like you I just don’t see it happening.

We would not be accomplishing anything starting Flacco. AR needs the reps.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We would not be accomplishing anything starting Flacco. AR needs the reps.

We might accomplish making the  playoffs. Wouldn’t you want that? Would you rather a three win season with the hopes that Richardson might improve? What if he doesn’t? I’m sure most of the players on his team would rather have a shot at the playoffs.

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

We might accomplish making the  playoffs. Wouldn’t you want that? Would you rather a three win season with the hopes that Richardson might improve? What if he doesn’t? I’m sure most of the players on his team would rather have a shot at the playoffs.

I’d rather Richardson improves and has development. No more stop gaps, that’s all Flacco would be. Fans need to just calm down and see what happens with Richardson. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

And where does that help us next season?

Just now, Captain_Colts1317 said:

I’d rather Richardson improves and has development. No more stop gaps, that’s all Flacco would be. Fans need to just calm down and see what happens with Richardson. 

Well hopefully it pays off. I just hate flushing a season down the toilet especially if AR doesn’t pan out.

• Like 1