Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre-preseason week 1 NFL.com Power Rankings

Solid84

To me, this just reinforces my belief the Colts aren’t a factor to the entities outside of Indianapolis.  Almost never mentioned on NFL Network, SiriusXM or anywhere else.

It’s up to the organization to become relevant.

Of course, there’s good in being slept on…

• Like 2

Crap rankings! We are a top 15 team at worse. Almost nobody ever gives us respect. We won 9 games last year with a backup QB and Taylor missing games. Now we have 2 rookies that can make a major impact in Mitchell and Latu. We also brought everyone back from last season. AR is healthy and can do more things than Minshew. 

No worries, the Packers are ranked lower than they should be as well. 

There is also no way the Colts should be below the Vikings. Minnesota plans to trot Sam Darnold out there as their starter. How could they be above the Colts with the worst starting QB in the league?

Some people think because it's from NFL.com that it's more legitimate. Nope, their writers are just as clueless and out of touch as anywhere else.

5 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

There is also no way the Colts should be below the Vikings. Minnesota plans to trot Sam Darnold out there as their starter. How could they be above the Colts with the worst starting QB in the league?

I'd still say that the Broncos have the worst starting QB(s) in the league at the moment. Jarett Stidham is the front runner and Zach Wilson is currently QB2 and hasn't even run with the starters at camp yet, while Bo Nix is listed as QB3. 

Broncos nation is looking at yet another year of QB pain.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Crap rankings! We are a top 15 team at worse. Almost nobody ever gives us respect. We won 9 games last year with a backup QB and Taylor missing games. Now we have 2 rookies that can make a major impact in Mitchell and Latu. We also brought everyone back from last season. AR is healthy and can do more things than Minshew. 

Other teams improve as well and we still have some significant unknowns. 

• Like 1

Also please remember, this is pre-preseason rankings. This is a right now ranking. The Colts have some very real unknowns, but if they prove they can play their rank will improve. 

• Like 1

Not that these rankings really matter, but they finished #17 last year.

So #21 is in that range, though I do think the Colts should at least be at #19, ahead of TB (who they beat with Baker) and MIN, who is starting either Sam Darnold or a rookie McCarthy.

But I can see the case for the other teams, assuming QB health for all teams. The rationale behind the Colts' ranking seems fair too. There are still unknowns, but he did say they could rise, if those unknowns pan out like we hope.

The Colts have won 22 games in the past 3 years. Being conservative on their power ranking is not hating imo.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Pretty fair reasoning.  

The Bears being that high kind of surprised me.  They’re loaded, but still, no one knows how their rookie QB will play. 

Williams is an unknown, but also probably the best QB prospect since Burrow. I think it's more that their defense was top 3 from Week 4-on last year...and they stacked their offense this offseason. If we knew Williams was just going to be a middle of the pack QB, they might be ranked as a top 10 team.

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I'd still say that the Broncos have the worst starting QB(s) in the league at the moment. Jarett Stidham is the front runner and Zach Wilson is currently QB2 and hasn't even run with the starters at camp yet, while Bo Nix is listed as QB3. 

Broncos nation is looking at yet another year of QB pain.  

The early depth charts are put out by most teams public relations department. Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said when Matt Wahlers the Packers VP of communications handed him the depth chart he just glanced at it and handed it back to him. No coach or GM was involved in making it. Why it's called an "Unofficial" depth chart. It means absolutely nothing.

Sean Payton said that the Broncos have every rookie listed as third string.

Bo Nix will be the starter in Denver. 99.9% likely. 

And even if Stidham or Wilson started, Sam Darnold would still be the worst starting QB in the league. This is Darnold's 7th year in league, and he has been nothing but pure garbage the whole time.

17 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

The early depth charts are put out by most teams public relations department. Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said when Matt Wahlers the Packers VP of communications handed him the depth chart he just glanced at it and handed it back to him. No coach or GM was involved in making it. Why it's called an "Unofficial" depth chart. It means absolutely nothing.

Sean Payton said that the Broncos have every rookie listed as third string.

Bo Nix will be the starter in Denver. 99.9% likely. 

And even if Stidham or Wilson started, Sam Darnold would still be the worst starting QB in the league. This is Darnold's 7th year in league, and he has been nothing but pure garbage the whole time.

I don't agree with you on Darnold being worse than Wilson and Stidham. 

I've witnessed Zach Wilson in person. It's shocking... 

22 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I don't agree with you on Darnold being worse than Wilson and Stidham. 

I've witnessed Zach Wilson in person. It's shocking... 

There is still some small hope that Zach Wilson could develop into a halfway decent QB. There is zero hope for Sam Darnold. When you have been in the league for 6 years and still complete crap, you are what you are at that point. If Zach Wilson still completely sucks 2 years from now, then he will move to Sam Darnold territory. 

The Vikings best chance to win games this season is by starting JJ McCarthy.

18 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

There is still some small hope that Zach Wilson could develop into a halfway decent QB. There is zero hope for Sam Darnold. When you have been in the league for 6 years and still complete crap, you are what you are at that point. If Zach Wilson still completely sucks 2 years from now, then he will move to Sam Darnold territory. 

The Vikings best chance to win games this season is by starting JJ McCarthy.

Don't get me wrong man, I'm not a Darnold fan at all. I have him in the same category as Brian Hoyer... 

I've just seen enough from Wilson over the last 2 seasons to know he's not capable. Same with Jarett. The Broncos are screwing themselves over by not getting Bo Nix valuable reps, and wasting them on Stidham. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Don't get me wrong man, I'm not a Darnold fan at all. I have him in the same category as Brian Hoyer... 

I've just seen enough from Wilson over the last 2 seasons to know he's not capable. Same with Jarett. The Broncos are screwing themselves over by not getting Bo Nix valuable reps, and wasting them on Stidham. 

I think Payton wants to have some competition for Nix to motivate him more and not just hand him the job. I would bet by August 27th Nix is named the starter, and Wilson is gone. I think Stidham gets the backup job just because he has a year in Payton's offense by being there last year.

2 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

I think Payton wants to have some competition for Nix to motivate him more and not just hand him the job. I would bet by August 27th Nix is named the starter, and Wilson is gone. I think Stidham gets the backup job just because he has a year in Payton's offense by being there last year.

I think it would be for the best. They know Wilson and Stidham aren't the guys, why not give Bo Nix all of the support and tools he needs to succeed? 

From all the reports it sounds like he's definitely holding his own in camp. 

Ranking is fair.  14 teams can make the playoffs and right now on paper we’re a fringe playoff team with the potential of reaching the 2nd round.  But we can’t go off of potential.  Teams have gotten better while we’ve mostly retained the same team from last year with some key depth signings and what looks to be a strong rookie class.

so yeah, I’d say 21 is just about right.  Which leaves us (on paper) to be the second or third best team in our division…which is a valid statement right now.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Here's some love for the Colts:

We have a good roster with some talented players. Colts have my curiosity. I think we have a team that can win 10 games assuming we stay healthy in the key area's. 

Here is my track record on predicting how the Colts will do since 2018 after looking at our roster at the beginning of each season. Which has been posted in here:

2018 - I said 10-6 and win a Playoff game. I nailed it exactly. With Luck I knew we could win a playoff game.

2019 - I said 8-8, we went 7-9, we did go 7-7 with Brissett as starter. I figured without Luck we would miss the playoffs.

2020 - I said 11-5 and win a playoff game. Loved the Rivers signing! I nailed the 11-5 but we barely lost to the Bills in the 1st game of the playoffs.

2021 - I said 10-7, lose in the 1st round of the playoffs because I didn't trust Wentz like I did Rivers. We went 9-8 but was 9-6. I was close.

2022 - My only major screw up. I said 11-6 and win a playoff game. Even I can I look like bozo once in a blue moon lmao . We went 4-12-1. Matt Ryan and the crew fooled me haha .

2023 - I had us 8-8-1 (no playoffs), we went 9-8. I was a half game from nailing it.

2024 - I say 10-7, lose in 1st round of the playoffs but will be competitive in the loss.

My track record is pretty good regarding the Colts with the exception of 2022.

• Like 2