Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and free agent Justin Simmons have had exploratory conversations

Some say the Colts aren't ready to win now so why sign Simmons? If that's the case why would the Saints sign him? We are better than the Saints. By the way, I think we are ready to win now. Adding Simmons would bolster our secondary. I am tired of the same people saying the Colts aren't ready to win now. What does that even mean? They have been saying that since Luck retired. Sooner or later, that attitude needs to change. You play to win the game as Herman Edwards once said. You get the best players possible to do so. Colts were a play away from winning the South with a backup QB. This team is ready to be a playoff team again clearly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some say the Colts aren't ready to win now so why sign Simmons? If that's the case why would the Saints sign him? We are better than the Saints. By the way, I think we are ready to win now. Adding Simmons would bolster our secondary. I am tired of the same people saying the Colts aren't ready to win now. What does that even mean? They have been saying that since Luck retired. Sooner or later, that attitude needs to change. You play to win the game as Herman Edwards once said. You get the best players possible to do so. Colts were a play away from winning the South with a backup QB. This team is ready to be a playoff team again clearly.

If the Saints sign Simmons from us. I'm going to lose it. Living in Colorado, I know how good Simmons is, and he's someone we need on this secondary. Him and Blackmon would be very solid and allow us to cause some turnovers when the D-Line gets pressure. 

I'm not saying we'll win the SB if we sign Simmons, but I'm saying the difference between making the playoffs or not this year could be based on signing Simmons and have an elite FS at the position compared to a bunch of young guys in a rotation that are learning on the job. 

If Ballard misses out on Simmons here (after hearing speculation we had interest in him), I'm on the fire Ballard train. If I'm Irsay, I'm telling Ballard to go get him. Override the cheapness. Force him to have some guts and make a move to try and win. I'm getting close to my breaking point with Ballard where I don't want to watch with him as the GM.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What do you like about him? Serious question. I don't know him well. Do you think he is a difference maker?

Besides the fact that he is a true center field safety? The guy is super smart a real difference maker. He will certainly add an element to the backend along with Blackmon that we haven’t seen since the likes of Bethea and Bob sanders. Not to mention he leads the league in interceptions against Patrick Mahomes, which speaks volumes. He is a playmaker and I’m certain he can teach our current guys a thing or two. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I think everything you just said applies about equally to Quandre Diggs, and we see the contract he just agreed to. They have different strengths and abilities, and Diggs is a few months older, but it’s hard to see Simmons getting 2-3 times what Diggs got. Jamal Adams is younger than both of them, and he got $1.3m. There was a backlog of available safeties, and those dominoes have started to fall, and I think the market has been revealed.

And again, I could obviously be wrong. I just think the market has spoken. 

I’m not super worried about it, either way. If the Colts wanted him enough to give him $10m/year, I think they would have done that months ago. It would be a significant statement, also, since they played hardball with Julian Blackmon and then signed him for about a third of that amount. Then to turn around and let an outside FA miss the entire offseason program, and now training camp, and then he shows up with no connection to the team and becomes the 10th highest paid player on the roster, tied for 4th highest paid defender? That doesn’t sound like something the Colts would do, right? If they did make that kind of splash signing, it would say a lot about their thoughts on a) the young guys they already have, and b) their expectations for 2024.

I could see them signing Simmons, but not at that rate. And I don’t think the market supports that rate, so I doubt he gets it from someone else. I guess we’ll see.

All good points Supe. 

I would like for us to sign him, but I’m not holding my breath. I do think we sign someone before the season, either an already available vet or a cut down victim. I think it’s very telling noone has locked down the position yet and they’re trying our starting SS there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

If the Saints sign Simmons from us. I'm going to lose it. Living in Colorado, I know how good Simmons is, and he's someone we need on this secondary. Him and Blackmon would be very solid and allow us to cause some turnovers when the D-Line gets pressure. 

I'm not saying we'll win the SB if we sign Simmons, but I'm saying the difference between making the playoffs or not this year could be based on signing Simmons and have an elite FS at the position compared to a bunch of young guys in a rotation that are learning on the job. 

If Ballard misses out on Simmons here (after hearing speculation we had interest in him), I'm on the fire Ballard train. If I'm Irsay, I'm telling Ballard to go get him. Override the cheapness. Force him to have some guts and make a move to try and win. I'm getting close to my breaking point with Ballard where I don't want to watch with him as the GM.

We are definitely ready to win now, I am not saying the SB but definitely get Into the playoffs. We have our QB who is healthy, great RB, good WR group, good O.Line, and a good D.Line. I am not buying we aren't ready to win now nonsense this year. If some think that, why even watch? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are definitely ready to win now, I am not saying the SB but definitely get Into the playoffs. We have our QB who is healthy, great RB, good WR group, good O.Line, and a good D.Line. I am not buying we aren't ready to win now nonsense this year. If some think that, why even watch? 

Yep. I'm sick of that attitude from the FO, the fans, and people who feel this team "needs time to develop". The reason the team needs time to develop is because we have been without a QB, That's filled with AR. Now we just need to fix the secondary and we have a fighting chance. 

I said during the draft I was fine with the secondary getting picked on day 3 as long as we filled the position in FA after the draft. That can put us over the top getting Simmons, I wish this board would have that same attitude that one player like him can make the difference for our secondary. I don't even need to be acknowledged, I just think it's obvious by now that we are always very close, and we are conservative in FA while other teams sign players, and it ends up costing us in the end, Major weakness in the secondary and the best FAs remaining were in the secondary. I feel Simmons is our last chance to get an impact FA.

But yeah, we seem ready everywhere else. I just want a fair season where we have a great team on paper and let it play out. If we win, great. If not, at least we gave a genuine effort. If we sign Simmons, I will say Ballard gave a genuine effort and this season will be a joy to watch for the first time since 2020 probably.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I feel like this Destin dude was just watching Dora the Explorer cartoon and was like,"hey I have an exploratory idea" for some click bait.....

dora-the-explorer-got-em-ip3rkvs4yt4kday

“engagement is down a bit this summer… time to perk the base up.” 

4 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

:facepalm:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

FWIW https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/06/raiders-day-10-training-camp-report-rookie-mj-devonshire-balls-out-jack-jones-veterans-interceptions-quarterbacks/?taid=66b2ff69517f3c0001dc6cea&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Yep. I'm sick of that attitude from the FO, the fans, and people who feel this team "needs time to develop". The reason the team needs time to develop is because we have been without a QB, That's filled with AR. Now we just need to fix the secondary and we have a fighting chance. 

I said during the draft I was fine with the secondary getting picked on day 3 as long as we filled the position in FA after the draft. That can put us over the top getting Simmons, I wish this board would have that same attitude that one player like him can make the difference for our secondary. I don't even need to be acknowledged, I just think it's obvious by now that we are always very close, and we are conservative in FA while other teams sign players, and it ends up costing us in the end, Major weakness in the secondary and the best FAs remaining were in the secondary. I feel Simmons is our last chance to get an impact FA.

But yeah, we seem ready everywhere else. I just want a fair season where we have a great team on paper and let it play out. If we win, great. If not, at least we gave a genuine effort. If we sign Simmons, I will say Ballard gave a genuine effort and this season will be a joy to watch for the first time since 2020 probably.

I agree 100%.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, w87r said:

Enjoy the season everyone

I’m going to thoroughly enjoy the season, regardless of what happens. At the end of the day, it’s just a game that doesn’t impact my family one bit, unless I react negatively. I’ve learned lessons from that aspect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, w87r said:

I wish all of you, who consistently turn this site into a personal complaining ground, day after day, year after year, would live up to your words and actually do it. 

This site has turned to a place I don't even like to come to any more. Sometimes I get here and see a few post, shake my head and just leave.

An artist just released a song that couldn't have any truer lyrics for a this site.

"I don't see any fans anymore, all I see is a bunch of complainers."

Don't go anywhere. :nono:

I think you find this kind of complaining everywhere. I remember one year, the Yankees had just won the World Series a few hours before. This guy calls in and says that he is going to lose his mind if the Yankees don't sign some star baseball player that was going to be a free agent. :argh: That fan would call every day yelling about something. The sports talk show host asked him if he could take a few days to enjoy the championship before clamoring to sign free agents.

It happens. It is actually kind of sad that fans cannot enjoy the players/team they have.

• Like 2

I'm cool if we get him, but I won't be angry if we don't. I'm pretty ok with Blackmon at FS and Cross at SS. Maybe upgrade on Thomas and have Harrison backing up Cross. Won't change my mind unless Cross looks like trash in the preseason and joints.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm cool if we get him, but I won't be angry if we don't. I'm pretty ok with Blackmon at FS and Cross at SS. Maybe upgrade on Thomas and have Harrison backing up Cross. Won't change my mind unless Cross looks like trash in the preseason and joints.

What if Blackmon gets injured?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I wish all of you, who consistently turn this site into a personal complaining ground, day after day, year after year, would live up to your words and actually do it. 

This site has turned to a place I don't even like to come to any more. Sometimes I get here and see a few post, shake my head and just leave.

An artist just released a song that couldn't have any truer lyrics for a this site.

Post of the year!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

What if 10/22 starters get injured?

Injuries happen. Next man up. We're four weeks away from season. A lot can still happen between now and then regarding the safety room. If they don't add to it, they'll be super young on the backend if Blackmon gets injured, that's what will happen. Either they get better or safety is going to be a major need to address come 2025.

25 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

What if anybody starter on any team gets injured? Next man up. That's why I mentioned upgrading your depth to be sure your next man up can play. Could be an up and coming young guy or a vet.

52 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Simmons is going to visit the Saints.  You can throw the contender argument out the window.  It’s always been about the money.

Which means we should have been even more on him. Chris Ballard is a lesson in life to be proactive and not reactive. Otherwise, opportunities get taken away from you.

• Like 1

Just now, Yoshinator said:

Which means we should have been even more on him. Chris Ballard is a lesson in life to be proactive and not reactive. Otherwise, opportunities get taken away from you.

Whose GM have you been?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yeah, then when I get on these negative people or get on people for trashing the team, I get posts deleted. This has been going for 3 or 4 years now. That is why I have been posting less. When I try to say something positive about the team, I get called a Homer so I feel your pain Backing Up Homer Simpson GIF

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, then when I get these negative people or get on people for trashing the team, I get posts deleted. This has been going for 3 or 4 years now. That is why I have been posting less. When I try to say something positive about the team, I get called a Homer so I feel your pain Backing Up Homer Simpson GIF

I think at this point the only thing that will cure things on here is winning. Making the playoffs minimum. There's no backing up being positive because it's faith based and we haven't won the division under Ballard or a playoff game since 2018. The complaining is annoying, but it's justified IMO. Unfortunately, it makes things less fun. 

We just need a great season to have some fun on the forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I will!  I signed up for Sunday Ticket for the first time in years.  The roster is solid, despite what the detractors constantly say.  

Great post, 87!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

I think at this point the only thing that will cure things on here is winning. Making the playoffs minimum. There's no backing up being positive because it's faith based and we haven't won the division under Ballard or a playoff game since 2018. The complaining is annoying, but it's justified IMO. Unfortunately, it makes things less fun. 

We just need a great season to have some fun on the forum.

I really don't think you are one of the negative posters on here. I classify you as frustrated as I get at times. You just want to win like I do. Winning does cure a lot.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I will!  I signed up for Sunday Ticket for the first time in years.  The roster is solid, despite what the detractors constantly say.  

Great post, 87!!

I signed up for the ticket too. Can't wait.

• Like 3

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

I signed up for the ticket too. Can't wait.

I don't blame you guys, I would too if I didn't live in Indianapolis because I think we win 10 games and make the playoffs despite what the rankings say or what the media thinks about us. 

• Like 2