Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Running Backs

Hey guys. I was hoping some of you could give a good breakdown of the running backs on our roster. Also, how many do you think we will keep on the rosters and which ones have the best chance to make it.

Thanks in advance!

JT is obviously the starter and good/great when healthy.

Trey Sermon was signed last year and was okay/good. A tough runner with decent vision.

Evan Hull was drafted last year but was injured. He is more of a receiving threat more than anything.

Then Tyler Goodson. He has some speed but stone hands. Okay that might be harsh but he is the one who dropped the ball to end the Texans game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bravo said:

Trey Sermon was signed last year and was okay/good. A tough runner with decent vision.

Evan Hull was drafted last year but was injured. He is more of a receiving threat more than anything.

Then Tyler Goodson. He has some speed but stone hands. Okay that might be harsh but he is the one who dropped the ball to end the Texans game.

Goodson was noted when he came out of Iowa for his soft hands and natural feel for the passing game.  One short armed off target throw by Minshew does nothing to change that, very few rb's come down with a 180 degree catch in that situation.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tyler-Goodson-RB-Iowa

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I personally like Sermon quite a bit to fill the Moss role. I think Goodson and Hull will be able too fill the Hine's roll well enough not to need to invest in another receiving back. If JT is healthy this year then who's behind him doesn't really matter.

Oh yea and then there is Pennix, I've got a soft spot for big bruising RB's and at 6'2 234 with good hands does get me excited but he will likely just be a practice squad/ special teamer but i wouldnt want to tackle him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Hey guys. I was hoping some of you could give a good breakdown of the running backs on our roster. Also, how many do you think we will keep on the rosters and which ones have the best chance to make it.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan Taylor: Our main workhorse, elite talent, good vision, able to hit the wall hard. Slippery and always a threat for a homerun. When he's on the field, there is always someone on defense spying him if not a stacked box. High mileage is beginning to wear on him as he's suffered injuries the past two seasons. 

Evan Hull: Another Big 10 guy. 5'10", 209lbs. 5th round draft pick in 2023. Compact, athletic, but lacks initial explosiveness. Hines-like with pass catching ability. North to South running is very good once he gets up to speed, but he can be a bit predictable at times and can be tracked down. Injuries meant we didn't get to really much from him last season. 

Trey Sermon: Oklahoma kid. 6'0", 215lbs. Drafted by the 49ers in the 3rd round of the 2021 draft. Good NFL size. Good motor. Acceleration after changing direction is good. Can lack vision between tackles at times. Pass catching skills are a plus and can make moves outside of the zone. Was forced into service for the Colts due to Taylor's holdout/injuries. 

Tyler Goodson: Yet another Big 10 kid. 5'9", 197lbs. Needs a strong offensive line to get going (good news for him since that's what we have). Was an UDFA in '22 with Green Bay where he was on the practice squad. Waived last August and we picked him up for our practice squad. Injuries led to him being put in as the main back for the Steelers game, however his debut season was dampened by the infamous final play against the Texans. 

Zavier Scott: 6'1". 220lbs. UDFA pick by the Colts in 2023. Not a pure running back. Hybrid WR/RB type of player. Fast, fun, passionate. NFL size frame. Very versatile that can work with a creative play caller like Steichen. A bit too upright when going past the line and has weird finishes to runs at times. 

Trent Pennix: 6'2", 234lbs. UDFA pick by the Colts in 2024. Big NFL size and was listed as a tight end at NC State. I could see him used as an H-Back. 9.1 YAC! Good pass catching ability. 

So, as you can see, after JT we have a lot of guys in the wings but they're not proven yet. 

To answer your other question: Most teams in the NFL carry about 4 running backs on the active roster. As you can imagine, this position receives a lot of punishment each game and injuries are more common. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Goodson was noted when he came out of Iowa for his soft hands and natural feel for the passing game.  One short armed off target throw by Minshew does nothing to change that, very few rb's come down with a 180 degree catch in that situation.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tyler-Goodson-RB-Iowa

I know he actually doesn’t have stone hands. Just dropped the most important pass all year even with Minshew’s rocket arm and dart board accuracy.

32 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I know he actually doesn’t have stone hands. Just dropped the most important pass all year even with Minshew’s rocket arm and dart board accuracy.

Keep digging. Not credible!

He never "had" the poorly thrown ball to "drop" it. 

Sermon was good enough as a #2 physical back. Odds are we will use a 3rd physical back sometime over the season. Stashing one on the practice squad works.

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

I guess you missed Ballard who recently said Goodson didn’t drop the ball as much as Minshew didn’t throw a very catchable pass.  A fact Ballard said Minshew would agree with.   

• Thanks 2

I don’t think JT will last a whole season anymore (too much wear and tear) and I’m not really excited about Sermon or Goodson. Hope Hull turns out great, but I’d like better depth behind JT. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t think JT will last a whole season anymore (too much wear and tear) and I’m not really excited about Sermon or Goodson. Hope Hull turns out great, but I’d like better depth behind JT. 

Honestly? Same. We’ve got a WR/RB hybrid and a rookie who’s converting to half back from tight end. I’d like to bring in one more vet to shore up the group. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I guess you missed Ballard who recently said Goodson didn’t drop the ball as much as Minshew didn’t throw a very catchable pass.  A fact Ballard said Minshew would agree with.   

Most of my response was obviously sarcasm…. Thought that was obvious when I said Minshew had a strong arm and accurate 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Keep digging. Not credible!

He never "had" the poorly thrown ball to "drop" it. 

Sermon was good enough as a #2 physical back. Odds are we will use a 3rd physical back sometime over the season. Stashing one on the practice squad works.

I’m not digging for anything. It hit his hands he should have caught it. I was def joking about Minshew throwing a good pass.

36 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Most of my response was obviously sarcasm…. Thought that was obvious when I said Minshew had a strong arm and accurate 

Sorry….  Sailed right over my head.  My bad.    Appreciate you clarifying.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

I’m not digging for anything. It hit his hands he should have caught it. I was def joking about Minshew throwing a good pass.

No way SHOULD have caught it as an overwhelming majority of rb's would not have. NOT every ball that touches a players hands can be caught as we all know.

• Like 2

I feel like this is a position where you can find a gem somewhere during cut downs. There's plenty of RB's who get cut and/or traded for cheap like Moss was.

On 5/15/2024 at 1:16 AM, Bravo said:

Goodson has good hands despite dropping the change up Minshew threw behind him.  That’s why he was in the game.  Goodson and Sermon ran very well against Pittsburgh.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 6:05 PM, holeymoley99 said:

No way SHOULD have caught it as an overwhelming majority of rb's would not have. NOT every ball that touches a players hands can be caught as we all know.

To your last sentence…….   I’m in your camp. 

But….

You don’t have to be a member of this community very long to figure out that the phrase “as we all know” doesn’t register at all for some.   Some here can’t agree on the days of the week.  

Just saying….   :giveup:

• Like 1

I am alright just rolling with these RBs. Lets see what they can do. If the Colts had brought in a vet, I imagine, that player would then be slotted as no2 on depth chart, taking away reps from our existing, young backs.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To your last sentence…….   I’m in your camp. 

But….

You don’t have to be a member of this community very long to figure out that the phrase “as we all know” doesn’t register at all for some.   Some here can’t agree on the days of the week.  

Just saying….   :giveup:

:td:

• Thanks 1

This is an interesting topic to discuss and there are and likely will still be many opinions, so what the &%$# I'll offer my opinion as well! LOL

Locks

Jonathan Taylor: Clear number one and paid like a franchise back

Evan Hull: Drafted by CB/SS to operate as a third down/pass catching back

The case for the rest

Trey Sermon: Has the build and play strength to be a durable lead back which makes him the default backup to JT as the lead back. Earned another long look as he performed well when called upon last year AND has a bit of a leg up because he was also with SS in Philly for a year. Familiarity counts sometimes.

Tyler Goodson: As a change-of-pace scat back I guess he could add a different dimension to the backfield and as a return man. I wonder if he adds more value than Pennix (mentioned later). 

Zavier Scott: Converted WR from Maine. I am sure they see something in him to sign him and then convert him, perhaps another year on the PS will complete that transition but I don't see him supplanting Sermon or Hull UNLESS they are strictly looking for a special team's guy as a backup?

Trent Pennix: This year's UDFA that was a versatile RB, HB and TE in college and for my fellow Notre Dame fans think how they used Tommy Tremble as a Swiss army knife guy offensively and that was Pennix role. Pennix is technically a better athlete than Tremble (who is absolutely being wasted on the Panthers roster) so I really like his chances over Goodson and Scott because of his versatility and previous HB/TE duties as a blocker. I big, bruiser that can run AND catch the ball out of the backfield, in the flats as an HB or down the seam as an in-line blocker offers a lot of options to a creative play-caller like SS.  I like Granson but I wonder if this is potentially his replacement this year or next? They are extremely similar in size/speed measurables, and this is Granson's contract year so it makes sense if they are looking ahead even if they are listing Pennix as a RB? 

Ultimately, I think this decision for the third back and fourth back is dependent on what they decide at WR (Goodson at RB and Gould over Dulin for example) and TE (Cut Alie-Cox and perhaps Pennix as a FB/HB/TE combo over Granson).