Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It’s possible. I just think they’re too old (both Hunter and Reddick). I’d prefer a younger guy who could actually stay and grow with the team instead of a 1-2 year rental. 

That would seem to make sense yet Ballard was after Hunter.  Had to be a reason.

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That would seem to make sense yet Ballard was after Hunter.  Had to be a reason.

IDK? Like I said above.

I think Ballard saw an opportunity to bring in a couple of big names, once that didn't happen he moved on.

I don't think that necessarily means he will go after another substantial FA at that position. Might seem like an ignorant statement?(By me) It's making sense in my mind though. Not sure if what I'm trying to say, will be conveyed how I'm thinking it.

Let me try again 

I'm saying Ballard looked at Hunter and Sneed as big upgrades(not necessarily big needs), however lesser players might not move the needle for him as far as being better than what we have and compared with cost 

Not sure that was better 

Christian Bale Idk GIF

:peek:

33 minutes ago, w87r said:

IDK? Like I said above.

I think Ballard saw an opportunity to bring in a couple of big names, once that didn't happen he moved on.

I don't think that necessarily means he will go after another substantial FA at that position. Might seem like an ignorant statement?(By me) It's making sense in my mind though. Not sure if what I'm trying to say, will be conveyed how I'm thinking it.

Let me try again 

I'm saying Ballard looked at Hunter and Sneed as big upgrades(not necessarily big needs), however lesser players might not move the needle for him as far as being better than what we have and compared with cost 

Not sure that was better 

Christian Bale Idk GIF

:peek:

I can see Ballard wanting to make one or two upgrades with those two players mentioned that would probably be considered difference makers when they came on board.  To pay what it would take to acquire them would have to make sense from a need standpoint.  Otherwise it would really be a waste of resources.  So for me his actions tell me he believes ER is still a primary need along with cornerback and I would think safety.  Those three are the positions he is trying to upgrade above everything else if he can do it.  Right now he hasn’t improved any of those positions with veteran acquisitions.  He will always be looking for depth players but when it comes to adding a potential difference maker and surely an upgrade those are the three positions I think he is currently focused on.  Right now we’re all focused on safety and CB but he still could be poking around looking for an ER.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can see Ballard wanting to make one or two upgrades with those two players mentioned that would probably be considered difference makers when they came on board.  To pay what it would take to acquire them would have to make sense from a need standpoint.  Otherwise it would really be a waste of resources.  So for me his actions tell me he believes ER is still a primary need along with cornerback and I would think safety.  Those three are the positions he is trying to upgrade above everything else if he can do it.  Right now he hasn’t improved any of those positions with veteran acquisitions.  He will always be looking for depth players but when it comes to adding a potential difference maker and surely an upgrade those are the three positions I think he is currently focused on.  Right now we’re all focused on safety and CB but he still could be poking around looking for an ER.

I don’t think edge will be an option. Tells you how bad his team building is that he was going to pay a 31 edge rusher when the secondary is that bad.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think edge will be an option. Tells you how bad his team building is that he was going to pay a 31 edge rusher when the secondary is that bad.

Hunter is 29.  He went after him and secondary.  Price went too high.  I think he’s open to ER, safety and CB.  Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Hunter is 29.  He went after him and secondary.  Price went too high.  I think he’s open to ER, safety and CB.  Nothing wrong with that.

Wouldn’t rule it out but one of the two main edge rushers will have to slip to 15 but odds are someone is going to slip because the QBs beyond the big three will be over drafted like they always are.

• Like 1

It's probably too early to make that prediction, but I think we're trading back. I honestly thought Brian Thomas Jr. would be a perfect fit for us, but it seems Wayne hasn't scouted him?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It's probably too early to make that prediction, but I think we're trading back. I honestly thought Brian Thomas Jr. would be a perfect fit for us, but it seems Wayne hasn't scouted him?

LSU's pro day is the 27th.

Even Thomas is probably a trade back.

I would have to agree, those seem like late 1st early 2nd options.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Pierce is a high Ballard pick.  Do you think they are going to draft a WR to start in front of him.  I don’t see it unless it’s one of the top three.  I think our 1st pick this year has to start.  That’s why I think it will be CB.  One of these guys to compete in the 2nd rd that I could see.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think our 1st pick this year has to start.  That’s why I think it will be CB.

This is one thing I agree with @Restinpeacesweetchloe about 

I'm worried about Gus not playing him because he's young.

We all saw how long it took to get Rodgers significant plays over Facyson.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

One of these guys to compete in the 2nd rd that I could see.

Might have to trade up in round 2 for them, but more than reasonable. Did it for Taylor.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Might have to trade up in round 2 for them, but more than reasonable. Did it for Taylor.

He will need 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Pierce is a high Ballard pick.  Do you think they are going to draft a WR to start in front of him.  I don’t see it unless it’s one of the top three.  I think our 1st pick this year has to start.  That’s why I think it will be CB.  One of these guys to compete in the 2nd rd that I could see.

I think because we have a offensive coach yeah it’s possible at 15.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think Gus will be all in on the CB that is drafted.  Happy as a clam.  So I think he starts him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think Gus will be all in on the CB that is drafted.  Happy as a clam.  So I think he starts him.

I think they will probably just be the best one in the room more than likely.

Imagine he might feel some pressure to get him on the field as well.

• Like 2

If I'm honest...... regardless of what most of us think, I believe Ballard is pretty happy with how the team depth is and probably goes BPA......kind of the impression I get. Won't be surprised if the first round pick is a position group other than CB or WR.....or he tries to trade back. 

55 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

LSU hasn't had their pro day yet.   It's on the 27th

• Like 1

Ballard isn’t trading up. As much as I want them to draft Brian Thomas Jr., I can definitely see them trading out of 15 with a slight move down and getting another Day 2 pick. Which is why scouting all the potential WRs available in the second round makes sense. 

• Like 1

NBC Sports:

“Turner has -210 odds to be the first defensive player drafted, making him a heavy favorite over Toledo cornerback Quinyon Mitchell, who is next at +400. Florida State pass rusher Jared Verse is next at +650.‘

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

I wonder if Ballard is thinking trade back to the end of round one to acquire another second rounder that he could package with their second rounder to get higher in the second and maybe pick up an extra pick later one.

It would explain the Colts being so interested in the WRs that are looking to be late round one picks.

• Like 2

one good thing whichever side of the ball they go with that first pick they should be able to get a elite player.  Offensive player will always have a better chance to make an immediate impact over a defensive guy. If the corner worked out we could have our lock down corner for years.

Ballard did say colts were lucky they didn’t have WR injuries because he said he should have find more there. 

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Colts are planning to go offense in the first round I imagine they will trade back a little and still be able to get an elite weapon plus pick up another draft pick.

I read an article today on BR stating that people who are supporters of analytics point to statistics that say trading back is not a good strategy and the statistics support that conclusion.  I can see rebuilding teams using that approach to acquire a lot of talent all through the roster.  Teams that are very competitive and playoff caliber teams are better off focusing their strategy on acquiring higher level talent to fill specific needs or weaknesses than adding multiple later round talent.  Ballard has traded back frequently to get a lot of picks.  I think our roster is pretty solid overall.  I think he agrees and that’s why we have resigned so many of our own.  This year he might sit tight or actually move up in the 2nd rd to try to really get players he wants on the team to fill some specific needs with higher rated prospects.  That’s what might happen this year.  We will see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I read an article today on BR stating that people who are supporters of analytics point to statistics that say trading back is not a good strategy and the statistics support that conclusion.  I can see rebuilding teams using that approach to acquire a lot of talent all through the roster.  Teams that are very competitive and playoff caliber teams are better off focusing their strategy on acquiring higher level talent to fill specific needs or weaknesses than adding multiple later round talent.  Ballard has traded back frequently to get a lot of picks.  I think our roster is pretty solid overall.  I think he agrees and that’s why we have resigned so many of our own.  This year he might sit tight or actually move up in the 2nd rd to try to really get players he wants on the team to fill some specific needs with higher rated prospects.  That’s what might happen this year.  We will see.

Normally I agree with this but I could see there being several WR he loves and trading back just a few spots. Not a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Trading back a few times and still landing AD Mitchell I would be a fan of. 

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Both players still on team.

Taylor + Tyquan Lewis 

Goes to show that if Ballard feels they are “the guy” he’ll trade up. This upcoming draft may be the hardest ever to predict. There are so many variables, so many QB prospects with multiple teams desperate to get their franchise on track. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I hope he stays at 15 - he will get a top 10 overall positional player (non QB) in this draft. Translation- a chance for a true difference maker on the roster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Goes to show that if Ballard feels they are “the guy” he’ll trade up. This upcoming draft may be the hardest ever to predict. There are so many variables, so many QB prospects with multiple teams desperate to get their franchise on track. 

Sorry, I’m a little confused.  

4 trade ups in 7 years and I think the highest pick he’s ever traded away is a 5.   

Ballard traded a 5 so he could get Johnathan Taylor.   He traded a 5 to get Tyquan Lewis.  Otherwise he’s traded a 6 or a 7.   That’s it.   

So when Ballard trades up, he’s spending a minimal amount to get a player of serious value.   There’s the secret of his trading up.   It’s incredibly rare, but when it happens, it’s with a purpose.  

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Have u paid attention in interviews how much they talk about getting explosive. Getting explosive pretty much means we are not currently explosive. I certainly would not rule out drafting somebody to replace Pierce. Some of you are going to find out the Colts actually like some of the guys we have in the secondary. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a corner bc competition is good but we had struggles due to injuries and youth. Not entirely bc they couldn't play. The moves or lack thereof in FA tell me they like who we have for the most part. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Have u paid attention in interviews how much they talk about getting explosive. Getting explosive pretty much means we are not currently explosive. I certainly would not rule out drafting somebody to replace Pierce. Some of you are going to find out the Colts actually like some of the guys we have in the secondary. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a corner bc competition is good but we had struggles due to injuries and youth. Not entirely bc they couldn't play. The moves or lack thereof in FA tell me they like who we have for the most part. 

This had been debated even on local macOS podcast that could simply mean getting Richardson back. They do need to get Mott explosive in the recovery but have yet to show they will. Gus was not very complimentary of Thomas all year. Ballard said free safety needs to get better. I don’t think they like their safeties at all.

• Like 1

Adding an explosive WR in the first just addd to the offense and will make them better. I don’t think it matters who is starting. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

4 trade ups in 7 years and I think the highest pick he’s ever traded away is a 5.   

Ballard traded a 5 so he could get Johnathan Taylor.   He traded a 5 to get Tyquan Lewis.  Otherwise he’s traded a 6 or a 7.   That’s it.   

So when Ballard trades up, he’s spending a minimal amount to get a player of serious value.   There’s the secret of his trading up.   It’s incredibly rare, but when it happens, it’s with a purpose.  

He traded a future 3rd to get cross.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My bad for not expanding my thought better, but that was my thought as well. He doesn’t do it often unless it’s for a player he feels good about taking. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

How dare you speak logically, sir.  

• Thanks 1

I think we may be thinking about sitting at 15 and taking Worthy.  Apparently, he put on a bit of a route-running show at his pro day.  Anyone who thinks he’s just a forty time (a Willie Gualt-like receiver) is mistaken.  After all, he was considered an early 2nd back when his scouting reports merely referenced “very good” speed…

40 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This had been debated even on local macOS podcast that could simply mean getting Richardson back. They do need to get Mott explosive in the recovery but have yet to show they will. Gus was not very complimentary of Thomas all year. Ballard said free safety needs to get better. I don’t think they like their safeties at all.

I didn't rule out addition to the secondary. I think that will happen in the draft. We also drafted a young safety last year who got hurt so he plays into the mix as well. Y'all have to remember these coaches are not scared to let young players play right away and take their lumps. I'm mostly saying here that I think our approach is on drafting , keeping guys together and developing. I'm not ready to go bonkers if major free agent moves haven't been made yet. And we know how Ballard is. He still has his eye on the market with regard to Blackmon and other vet guys who they think can play. And whoever that person is we will likely get a solid deal on bc we didn't buy when the frenzy was high.

If presented this opportunity, what does everyone say?

Arizona rec:

1230pts 

Colts rec:

1230pts

Maybe we could get them to swap #181(our 6th) for #162(their 5th) would give us an extra 11pts on the chart(mid 6th value)

That gets us (3) picks in top 46, and right in the sweet zone really. (27-46)

Be sitting with:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Solid84 said:

This great news !!

Colts looking to get more explosive !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

If presented this opportunity, what does everyone say?

Arizona rec:

1230pts 

Colts rec:

1230pts

Maybe we could get them to swap #181(our 6th) for #162(their 5th) would give us an extra 11pts on the chart(mid 6th value)

That gets us (3) picks in top 46, and right in the sweet zone really. (27-46)

Be sitting with:

I that would be a good trade for us. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 6:37 PM, stitches said:

Both Thomas and Mitchell are better separators than AP IMO and have better and more expansive, even if still unpolished, route tree. Mitchell has some really nice ball skills too... 

Pittman, Mitchell, Downs, Woods, Taylor could become as good a group as their is. 

Using next years one and whatever, my dream draft we wheel and deal for this.

CB Mitchell  our Island CB

WR Mitchell  a faster with moves Pierce, that can block

RG Bebe  a huge upgrade in run and pass blocking - the #1 line