Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

It just feels like I'm having the exact same thoughts and feelings about what's happening with the Colts and Ballard's approach every single year. There hasn't been a single season since... 2020 when I felt like... "oh we got better this off-season... nice"

i agree, and this perfectly explains my feelings since Rivers. the only thing I can say is that at least he finally drafted a QB

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Oopty Oop said:

Id sure like to see us bring in a pass rusher. Haven’t seen much talk about it but 9.5 sacks being the leader in the clubhouse with buck and Grover on the inside feels almost criminal. How many of those are a result of buck and Grover shoving lineman back in the qbs face and being clean up sacks? I’d have to bet 2-3 which would put our leader on the outside at 6.5 or 7.5. That’s what you call terrible.

That terrible pass rush also finished 4th or 5th in the NFL with 51 sacks.    And you make it sound like it’s only the Colts whose outside rushers get help from the inside push.   That happens on many teams.  

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

That terrible pass rush also finished 4th or 5th in the NFL with 51 sacks.    And you make it sound like it’s only the Colts whose outside rushers get help from the inside push.   That happens on many teams.  

Yes sir I know the stats. Would also seem to help out our mostly freshman cornerback room that most believe we need more help at. It doesn’t seem like clowney may be the best teammate and chase young doesn’t seem to be the answer either but….9.5 sacks seeing one on one all year is just not good. Just a couple cents of mine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AKB said:

From what I've read from Stephen Holder, we tried for Sneed, didn't get him, and repaid our guys. 

Im assuming we get a couple more FA, maybe even 1 or 2 after the draft. But cheap budget guys, as Ballard has done for the last half-decade. So I think Ballard is doing what you want him to do, playing for the accumulation of wins over multiple seasons.

it would be dishonest to ignore the fact that his seat is warming up. if he missed on AR there's a good chance he's gone. ofc that has yet to be seen. but this season is important for him

Why is this coming season important for Ballard?

This time last year, everybody was patient about the coming season.......to draft a rookie QB and develop him for a couple of seasons.  Then specifically in the case of AR, to see what we have in AR and to let him learn.  Nobody cared about buying free agents.

AR played 4 games.  So how does that change anything from where we were this time last year regarding expectations?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, JediXMan said:

I’d rather Ballard re-signed Blackmon than draft a DT. Instead we signed a backup DT and have a huge question mark af S.

Even at what has been said on here as being among the highest at his position? That's what he apparently wants... He's not going to get remotely close to it, imo. 

What a circus this has been.  Last year going into the season the colts were power ranked among the worst teams in the league.  We lose our qb and then still finish with a winning record and almost won the division but finished third due to the last game which was close.

Is our division any good?  The jags should have won but blew it, Texans are interesting now

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

While I am not going to dismiss the pass rush as pure luck as some do I will say it’s a flawed stat not likely to repeat itself that came from a lot of scrambling QBs who would run into sacks.  It seemed like late in games when they needed it, it was no where to be found.  The Colts haven’t had a great edge rusher since Mathis so if one happens to be there at 15 I’d want Ballard to grab them.

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I’d rather Ballard re-signed Blackmon than draft a DT. Instead we signed a backup DT and have a huge question mark af S.

Not at the number Blackmon reportedly wanted with his injury history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Oopty Oop said:

Yes sir I know the stats. Would also seem to help out our mostly freshman cornerback room that most believe we need more help at. It doesn’t seem like clowney may be the best teammate and chase young doesn’t seem to be the answer either but….9.5 sacks seeing one on one all year is just not good. Just a couple cents of mine.

You're entitled to any view you like.  I’m fine if we disagree.   But, please feel free to call me NCF, or Mike or Michael, whichever you prefer.   But “sir” is too polite, too formal.   Hope that helps.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Well there is the draft. 

Yeah, the draft is really our biggest chance to have improvement, but it's actually rare for rookies to be positive contributors. 

And there is the potential that Richardson is who they thought, which if it turns out to be true, will make them better. 

Yep, that's the second biggest hope(or probably the biggest)... 

And free agency is not over. 

It's not over but... I just don't see any significant changes happening. It's just not in Ballard's nature. We should know by now. 

On the flip side, are we sure that the teams that signed all those free agents are better than they were last year?  

Some might not be, some will... for example, I am almost certain the Texans will be stronger than last year. 

Not trying to battle with you here - but the roster building is not done yet.  

Like I said above... I'm just kind of tired of watching the same thing happen every year under Ballard. Ballard is "never finished with roster building" but what does that mean exactly? He will sign C or D free agents that have not been singed in wave 1 or wave 2 of FA... he will get some FA off the streets to compete for spot in October or whatever... But do those moves actually have any serious impact? Do they raise the ceiling of this team. I feel like Ballard has resigned himself to the draft and I can't help but follow suit and just have all my hopes for this team tied to the draft. And this is happening with a QB on rookie deal too... I have no idea why I believed him when he was hinting he might change his approach now that he can afford more things now that his QB is really cheap... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're entitled to any view you like.  I’m fine if we disagree.   But, please feel free to call me NCF, or Mike or Michael, whichever you prefer.   But “sir” is too polite, too formal.   Hope that helps.  

“Sir” is a sign of respect for me and you not knowing each other. Hope that helps. I will refrain from doing so in the future Michael and the beautiful thing about being humans is we won’t always agree on everything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Shive said:

After starting like 4-5 games (can't remember the exact timeframe), Jones was rated as one of the top rookie CBs and well among all CBs. He definitely had some rough spots, but there were a lot of good things there as well. I'd like to add a veteran CB and S, but I'm rather bullish on the CBs we already have (besides Baker Jr).

Yeah I have zero problem with adding another vet CB and even said I wanted Sneed.  I just didn’t feel the CB room was empty and Ballard had to rebuild the whole room like some are acting.  

If any room needs that it’s the safety room but even then I think Cross gets a chance to start all year, they need to see what they have in Davis and Thomas will be a backup/special teamer.  They still have to replace Blackmon though.  I see that as a bigger hole than corner because if pushed comes to shove you COULD start some combo of Flowers, Brents, and Jones with Moore in the slot even if you preferred not too (and for the record I am in the preferred not too camp)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

While I am not going to dismiss the pass rush as pure luck as some do I will say it’s a flawed stat not likely to repeat itself that came from a lot of scrambling QBs who would run into sacks.  It seemed like late in games when they needed it, it was no where to be found.  The Colts haven’t had a great edge rusher since Mathis so if one happens to be there at 15 I’d want Ballard to grab them.

I remain hopeful the Colts will draft pass rush either R1 or R2.   WR would be the other pick.   I know more pass rush is needed.  I think Ballard does too.  That’s why he hired Charlie Partridge.  Hopefully he makes every DL better. 

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I remain hopeful the Colts will draft pass rush either R1 or R2.   WR would be the other pick.   I know more pass rush is needed.  I think Ballard does too.  That’s why he hired Charlie Partridge.  Hopefully he makes every DL better. 

Hope so, and I am fine with that.  The other two spots to watch would be safety and corner, assuming someone like Bowers doesn’t fall to 15.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Oopty Oop said:

“Sir” is a sign of respect for me and you not knowing each other. Hope that helps. I will refrain from doing so in the future Michael and the beautiful thing about being humans is we won’t always agree on everything. 

I like using Sir as well.   But only for people much older than me.  And I’m 67.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Oopty Oop said:

Oh read the thread we know lol 

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Would you say the same if he signs a reasonable contract with the Bills? Also who’s the source that said he was asking for alot if I may ask.

Just now, JediXMan said:

Would you say the same if he signs a reasonable contract with the Bills? Also who’s the source that said he was asking for alot if I may ask.

It’s earlier in the thread. Way too much Sneed stuff has happened since for me to remember.  Also, I’ve never been high on re-signing Blackmon.  I’ve said always be ware of players who have a major career year way outside their norm in a contract year and the injuries really concern me.  Not sure who I want there and I wouldn’t be mad if they ultimately brought Blackmon back but I am fine with moving on from him too.

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This next season?  Ballrd gets judged on that?  By whom?

I'd think he'd be interested in doing what it takes to build a SB team within the next 4 years, not just a team that wins the Division or a Wild Card this season.  I don't think that getting a Sneed and maximizing the cap gets us anywhere near the SB this coming season.   Maybe the Division.  Maybe.

Its like everybody thinks AR is as good as Stroud already, and that Ballard should be building the Colts now as urgently as the Texans are.

Right, but I think everyone agrees that Anthony Richardson will determine the future of the franchise so we should be urgently making moves to support and develop him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why is this coming season important for Ballard?

This time last year, everybody was patient about the coming season.......to draft a rookie QB and develop him for a couple of seasons.  Then specifically in the case of AR, to see what we have in AR and to let him learn.  Nobody cared about buying free agents.

AR played 4 games.  So how does that change anything from where we were this time last year regarding expectations?

how is not every season important? that's the better and more realistic question.

every season is important for him, it has to be. 

but to answer your question, we have been in free fall since luck retired. last season was the first sniff of having 'our' guy again. with that being said, if AR gets injured again, or does not produce enough to look like a worthwhile pick, Ballard's strategy overall will come into question. He has not produced as a GM thus far. He has drafted nonvalue players at an above-average rate and happened to hit, he also hasn't won us a division title and has failed to cement a stable QB, even thus far AR included. If AR gets injured, we have another season, with a stop-bridge QB, either old or a QB someone else doesn't want.  If that happens again.. the discussion for him to be fired will heat up again. Guaranteed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s earlier in the thread. Way too much Sneed stuff has happened since for me to remember.  Also, I’ve never been high on re-signing Blackmon.  I’ve said always be ware of players who have a major career year way outside their norm in a contract year and the injuries really concern me.  Not sure who I want there and I wouldn’t be mad if they ultimately brought Blackmon back but I am fine with moving on from him too.

If we could get Simmons at S and not break the bank he has 30 career interceptions I believe and our defense wanting to create turnovers feels like a great fit…from someone who knows nothing else about him admittedly.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AKB said:

how is not every season important? that's the better and more realistic question.

every season is important for him, it has to be. 

but to answer your question, we have been in free fall since luck retired. last season was the first sniff of having 'our' guy again. with that being said, if AR gets injured again, or does not produce enough to look like a worthwhile pick, Ballard's strategy overall will come into question. He has not produced as a GM thus far. He has drafted nonvalue players at an above-average rate and happened to hit, he also hasn't won us a division title and has failed to cement a stable QB, even thus far AR included. If AR gets injured, we have another season, with a stop-bridge QB, either old or a QB someone else doesn't want.  If that happens again.. the discussion for him to be fired will heat up again. Guaranteed. 

If we do not win the Division or don't make the playoffs, I doubt that Ballard's job will be any more in jeopardy than it was last spring.  Irsay knows AR played 4 games and we have no idea if he will be any good.

I think fans simply do not want to be patient again for another season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If we do not win the Division or don't make the playoffs, I doubt that Ballard's job will be any more in jeopardy than it was last spring.  Irsay knows AR played 4 games and we have no idea if he will be any good.

I think fans simply do not want to be patient again for another season. 

bold the part where i said this "If we do not win the Division or don't make the playoffs, I doubt that Ballard's job will be any more in jeopardy than it was last spring."

You can't, because I didn't say that. I noted that he has not achieved those things. But I did not say I think we need to accomplish x, y, or z for him not to be on the hot seat.

this is what he needs for his seat not to warm up: A healthy season from AR, or at least a half season+, he needs the guys he just extended to play at their contract value, and he needs another .500 season. 

If he misses on any of those 3, the conversation for him to be fired will start up again. If you want to pretend that he's just gonna get free year after free year, you go on and do that. The discussion for him to be fired was strong when Reich and Saturday's fiasco happened. He got spared to have a chance with a QB, if this doesn't pan out, he's gonna get fired. 

• Like 1

Just now, BlackTiger said:

If Richardson doesnt work out then Ballard should be on the hot seat to me.  You cant take a decade to find a QB you can win with.

thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 1:40 PM, chad72 said:

Justin Simmons baby!!! 😉

If we aren’t resigning Blackmon, I see no way we don’t sign Simmons or Diggs. We were weak there last year. Blackmon was the only bright spot. 

Not sure if Gilmore would be interested in returning, BUT that could make sense if he wants to mentor the young guys. Curious on how he graded out last year 

• Like 1

Salary Cap update:

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - $23,011,848(73 players shown under contract) **estimate $19.4m

OtC - $22,434,796(73 players shown under contract) **estimate $18.8m

Alright only contract that isn't updated yet is Flacco, but I think it is about as easy to predict as there is . 1yr $4.5m guaranteed w/ incentives

So Flacco will only count $3.515m against the cap after $985k player drops below top 51.

So feel good about remaining cap space being in the $18.8m-$19.4m currently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

If Richardson doesnt work out then Ballard should be on the hot seat to me.  You cant take a decade to find a QB you can win with.

If Richardson doesn’t work out Ballard will be fired.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

If we aren’t resigning Blackmon, I see no way we don’t sign Simmons or Diggs. We were weak there last year. Blackmon was the only bright spot. 

Not sure if Gilmore would be interested in returning, BUT that could make sense if he wants to mentor the young guys. Curious on how he graded out last year 

Gilmore got roasted in the playoffs plus he wants to go to a contender which we aren’t 

23 minutes ago, AKB said:

bold the part where i said this "If we do not win the Division or don't make the playoffs, I doubt that Ballard's job will be any more in jeopardy than it was last spring."

You can't, because I didn't say that. I noted that he has not achieved those things. But I did not say I think we need to accomplish x, y, or z for him not to be on the hot seat.

this is what he needs for his seat not to warm up: A healthy season from AR, or at least a half season+, he needs the guys he just extended to play at their contract value, and he needs another .500 season. 

If he misses on any of those 3, the conversation for him to be fired will start up again. If you want to pretend that he's just gonna get free year after free year, you go on and do that. The discussion for him to be fired was strong when Reich and Saturday's fiasco happened. He got spared to have a chance with a QB, if this doesn't pan out, he's gonna get fired. 

22 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

21 minutes ago, AKB said:

thanks.

What is the time frame Ballard has for when AR "is working out"?   At the end of this coming season?  I thought that we were ready to give Ballard 3 seasons to see if AR is the guy.  Now that AR did not really have a rookie season, the time frame is three years from now.  

Which is why I don't think he's all that interested in the results of this coming season relative to the Division or Playoffs.  So its no surprise to me...nor a disappointment...that we apparently are not giving up draft picks and salary cap for a cornerback right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

we were 30th in pressure rate also.  I think scheme is 50% of the problem (need to blitz more) but we could also use a bonafide DE.  Too late for that now though.

23 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

he should be fired at that point.  And I like ballard

It's kind of amazing really. How the offseason can be conducted  as if the team is already a consistent playoff caliber team. I totally get the not overspend argument, but the Colts have made their own players the highest paid at their position several times.  QB, OT, DE. WR, CB, positions remain a steadfast part of the winning formula.

The team is 54-60-1 since 2017 with no division titles. It's still a great strategy to resign your own but is that winning you a division? At what point  does the current team building strategy get the team anything more than it has gotten them.

Yes, we all are counting on AR to be the difference maker he is projected to be, but teams in the South have all added good young QB's as well. And look to be more aggressively building around them. 

There are too many areas of need to not use free agency to least strengthen the depth of the team. Ballard is well locked in and continues to do very well on draft day - give credit where it is due. The question remains. how many off-season cycles do you go through before the plan is accelerated outside of the draft or before the  prime years of your current core expire and you enter a rebuild.

Personally, I would have thought an accelerated plan would have been initiated after the selection of Richardson.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What is the time frame Ballard has for when AR "is working out"?   At the end of this coming season?  I thought that we were ready to give Ballard 3 seasons to see if AR is the guy.  Now that AR did not really have a rookie season, the time frame is three years from now.  

Which is why I don't think he's all that interested in the results of this coming season relative to the Division or Playoffs.  So its no surprise to me...nor a disappointment...that we apparently are not giving up draft picks and salary cap for a cornerback right now.

3 total seasons in my book honestly. 

Although our timelines don’t really matter. It’s really up to Irsay on how long he wants to wait. And who really knows what he’s thinking at the moment. I’d imagine he’d like for us to at least be competitive similar to last year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Others have said it, but as a big Ballard supporter I should join them.  If Richardson  doesn’t work out, Ballard will be fired, and he should be.    Period.  

Now he likely will be replaced with either Dodds or Brown, but that’s another topic for another day.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

It's kind of amazing really. How the offseason can be conducted  as if the team is already a consistent playoff caliber team. I totally get the not overspend argument, but the Colts have made their own players the highest paid at their position several times.  QB, OT, DE. WR, CB, positions remain a steadfast part of the winning formula.

The team is 54-60-1 since 2017 with no division titles. It's still a great strategy to resign your own but is that winning you a division? At what point  does the current team building strategy get the team anything more than it has gotten them.

Yes, we all are counting on AR to be the difference maker he is projected to be, but teams in the South have all added good young QB's as well. And look to be more aggressively building around them. 

There are too many areas of need to not use free agency to least strengthen the depth of the team. Ballard is well locked in and continues to do very well on draft day - give credit where it is due. The question remains. how many off-season cycles do you go through before the plan is accelerated outside of the draft or before the  prime years of your current core expire and you enter a rebuild.

Personally, I would have thought an accelerated plan would have been initiated after the selection of Richardson.

It’s kind of my self-appointed role on this board to post Ballard’s record but I’ll let it go this time.