Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

14 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

He is not a much lesser CB than Jaylon Johnson. This is complete garbage. He was a top 5 CB. Just because McKenzie was slightly better doesn't mean he was bad. Dumb logic. Sneed was absolutely worth it for that price. Fits perfectly in our scheme as a Zone corner. 

Sneed isn't bad by any means, but he's not on Johnson's level and should be paid like he is. I vehemently disagree that he's a top 5 CB.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This might be off the wall. Do you guys think irsays illnsss and Hospitalization could of played in the lack of moves?

I don't think it did at all. This offseason is pretty consistent with prior offseasons, other than the number or priority resignings we had. Ballard is nothing if not consistent in his approach and every year people think he's going to do a 180 and sign their wishlist of FAs, which just isn't realistic.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Being  forced to take a corner at 15 after taking 3 of them last year in the draft is such a joke. That 15th pick should be for an explosive offensive weapon. 

If we signed Justin Simmons and one of Witherspoon/Howard/Gilmore, then drafted a CB in the 2nd or 3rd, would you be content?

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

I think we have to go CB first round and WR second round at this point. Play the strengths of the draft. Go Safety third round.

At this point, it'll depend on if we sign anyone else in between now and the draft. It'll also depend on who is there at 15 when we get on the clock. WR and CB have some solid depth, but safety is pretty terrible this year.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard irs my fault I didn’t give Bradley more. Then proceeds to double down on why it went bad lol

Since when has a run defender won a SB?

Literally the chiefs run defense this year

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

And he has been less aggressive this offseason than the last 2 I think. And when you have a promising young QB on a rookie deal that’s when you should be more active to surround him with talent. Ballard has seemingly done the opposite this offseason. It’s almost like he’s in wait and see mode if Richardson is the guy at QB first. I think we all saw he can be the guy, he just needs to stay healthy and he needs more players around him. 

Of course he is in wait and see mode.  He's already said let's not crown him yet.  Maybe if AR at least makes it the the playoffs then he'll he more aggressive in FA.  Makes sense to me 

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

Of course he is in wait and see mode.  He's already said let's not crown him yet.  Maybe if AR at least makes it the the playoffs then he'll he more aggressive in FA.  Makes sense to me 

Which is a stupid approach. If you want AR and the Colts to be successful, you build around him as if he is the guy. You took him 4th overall, he's on a rookie contract, why wouldn't you assume he's the guy and build around him so we can win? Even if he isn't, then you have the team ready to draft another QB if he doesn't work out.

I do find it kind of funny that just a few years ago, the Chief's secondary got cooked consistently when they decided to start their young corners to get them game experience and grow. Now so many people are upset we're doing exactly the same thing instead of signing one of thoe guys from that Chiefs secondary.

• Like 1

I'll say this.   I'm disappointed that we haven't done anything in FA that's splashy. However, at the end of the day, we gotta figure out what we have in AR.  He's gotta have the least amount of starting experience for a QB in the NFL.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s  not about  sneed. It’s the lack of improving a horrific weakness on this team. Not doing anything while our division rivals have all gotten better.

Yep, the Sneed controversy is just upsetting because we knew 100% we had interest in him and he was a very solid corner that was now shown to be had for cheap draft capital. Perfect storm for us to improve and we failed. It also hurt that all our division rivals got better and the Titans were the one who took Sneed from us.

I hope this doesn't come true.  But what if AR turns out to be the next JaMarcus Russell?  We load up on FAs, in 2-3 years he busts, then what??  Go draft another QB?  All the contacts will be up and will we still have the cap to resign them?  Probably not.   We'd end up like the Rams.

29 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

And he has been less aggressive this offseason than the last 2 I think. And when you have a promising young QB on a rookie deal that’s when you should be more active to surround him with talent. Ballard has seemingly done the opposite this offseason. It’s almost like he’s in wait and see mode if Richardson is the guy at QB first. I think we all saw he can be the guy, he just needs to stay healthy and he needs more players around him. 

Ballard’s approach to FA this year has clearly been different.   Typically he has sat out week one and makes his moves week two.   

This year he made most of his big moves week one,  and this week when he normally makes his big moves he made a small number of lesser moves.   The opposite.    

I still have to believe Ballard will eventually make a small number of mid-level moves.   Perhaps this coming week?   And he might make a move or two the week after the draft when draft pick compensation no longer attaches.   

For my money, this has clearly been an unpredictable off-season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Yep, the Sneed controversy is just upsetting because we knew 100% we had interest in him and he was a very solid corner that was now shown to be had for cheap draft capital. Perfect storm for us to improve and we failed. It also hurt that all our division rivals got better and the Titans were the one who took Sneed from us.

There were a bunch of other options. It didn’t have to be him. Now there is not much left that makes sense. What makes me more ticked is we aren’t going to be able to get that elite waskin for AR at 15. There are going to be so many there.  I really am not mad about not getting sneed. I am mad because he hasn’t done anything. I don’t trust any of our corners to stay healthy.

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There really isn’t much cap left to make any significant moves except maybe bringing Blackmon back.

Unless we do one or two contract  restructures….  Buckner for example.  That would free up some cap space.  There are still options for the Colts. 

30 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Being  forced to take a corner at 15 after taking 3 of them last year in the draft is such a joke. That 15th pick should be for an explosive offensive weapon. 

Exactly. To not go with an offensive weapon for AR round 1 would be a big mistake if they purely go based off need and get the lesser prospect at corner or God forbid safety. 

• Like 3

I’m not too happy w/ how this FA period has gone, but with that being said…

If they finish last in the division, Ballard is probably gone regardless of who the colts did or didn’t sign. And if they finish first or go on a playoff run, his job is safe even if they signed nobody. 

Also, im quite annoyed that Sneed is on the titans too, but if they finish higher than the colts it’s likely more to do with Levis being better ARich, which at that point the colts got more things to worry about than missing out on corners. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Exactly. To not go with an offensive weapon for AR round 1 would be a big mistake if they purely go based off need and get the lesser prospect at corner or God forbid safety. 

A offensive weapon will have much more of an impact right away than a CB most likely too. There will be a run on WR so you’re probably not getting an elite one at 46 while they would at 15.  If Brent’s had t continued his college injuries and played all year and Dallid hadn’t gotten hurt I would feel a lot better going into the ssskb with them as starters. I just don’t see how they can’t add a vet with all these concerns in that room. Adding a rookie to that mix seems crazy. Especially if your counting on them to start.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

If they finish last in the division, Ballard is probably gone regardless of who the colts did or didn’t sign. And if they finish first or go on a playoff run, his job is safe even if they signed nobody. 

Also, im quite annoyed that Sneed is on the titans too, but if they finish higher than the colts it’s likely more to do with Levis being better ARich, which at that point the colts got more things to worry about than missing out on corners. 

Or it could end up being the colts defense couldn’t stop anyone. They played scrubs last season and still were 30th in the league in points  allowed.

I will say this about the points allowed because it does put it into slight perspective. Gardner had a big stretch there where he was turning it over which did not help the defense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

How have you been? Long time no see. Nice to have you back!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Or it could end up being the colts defense couldn’t stop anyone. They played scrubs last season and still were 30th in the league in points  allowed.

I will say this about the points allowed because it does put it into slight perspective. Gardner had a big stretch there where he was turning it over which did not help the defense.

True but regardless of the reason, if tenneseee (and the rest of the division) is better than the colts or if the colts just suck next season Ballard is likely gone regardless of if it’s because of the offense or defense or everything in between. 

It seems the colts are betting that their roster is a lot better than most think and with a healthy ARich, will be better than last year. A risky bet imo but I guess the point I’m trying to make is the result of that bet is what decides Ballards future, regardless of what happened with Sneed or any other player they didn’t get. 

tl;dr if he got sneed and the colts were still bad, he’d get fired anyways. So he’s sticking to his guns on his roster approach/philosophy. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How have you been? Long time no see. Nice to have you back!

Thanks! I’ve actually been lurking here again the last few weeks LOL good to see many of the same posters such as yourself. It seems this board hasn’t changed much 😅

• Like 1

I am more concerned with Brent’s injury history and Flowers returning by game one then I am with their actual play on the field. I think Flowers got hurt game two so bid possibility he isn’t ready in Sept. plus he won’t have that explosiveness back right away.

I think the safety play last year is what killed us. Outside of Blackmon cross and Thomas were not good. Then it was really bad last two games after Blackmon got hurt. If Ballard does nothing else he needs to find a FS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Ballard is thinking like this he is dumber then we thought.

Careful about the “we thought.”   Not everyone thinks the way you do.  Or as the Haters do.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Superman said:

This is a pile of crap. I fully understand why people should be upset with this. Ballard is starting to even annoy me. He could've gave  the Chiefs a 3 and a 7 + payed Sneed that money. This is really disappointing. Only way he saves face is if he gets Justin Simmons.

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is a pile of crap. I fully understand why people should be upset with this. Ballard is starting to even annoy me. He could've gave  the Chiefs a 3 and a 7 + payed Sneed that money. This is really disappointing. Only way he saves face is if he gets Justin Simmons.

We don’t have enough money to sign Simmons. Ballard thinks having 50 million wrapped up in DT is good. Or overpaying a linebacker. He doesn’t jundrrstand premium positions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We don’t have enough money to sign Simmons. Ballard thinks having 50 million wrapped up in DT is good. Or overpaying a linebacker. He doesn’t jundrrstand premium positions.

This Sneed thing has me steamed and he goes to the Titans, SMH.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

How did baker get another year contract after last season is crazy.

i agree with this too

Unless Richardson turns out like Lamar Jackson, we will never win anything while Ballard is Here. Anything = Division Titles, going to the title game, or SB. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Does Ballard realize corner is a premium position.

I've been telling you this for years, guys and gals. The answer is "no". But he does think defensive tackle and run stuffing linebacker are... :dunno:

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This Sneed thing has me steamed and he goes to the Titans, SMH.

You know, it’s possible that the Titans made the wrong move tonight and the Colts made the right one.  

It’s possible.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I think a lot of people are overvaluing Sneed’s actual ability, I mean he isn’t even top 10

For our scheme he probably is top 10, but at the same time ... I kind of agree that people have the idea that Sneed is an elite corner which IMO he isn't. He's good and would have improved our team, but it's not like trading for prime Jalen Ramsey. I personally am not too heartbroken over this. The salary and compensation came at about the level I would have been OK with paying, but I don't think it's a no brainier or something of the sort. 

I continue insisting that the big picture approach and philosophy from Ballard is more problematic than one specific missed opportunity.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know, it’s possible that the Titans made the wrong move tonight and the Colts made the right one.  

It’s possible.   

Maybe. I am just tired of us never taking a big chance. Sneed could also play like an all-pro next season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I hope this doesn't come true.  But what if AR turns out to be the next JaMarcus Russell?  We load up on FAs, in 2-3 years he busts, then what??  Go draft another QB?  All the contacts will be up and will we still have the cap to resign them?  Probably not.   We'd end up like the Rams.

If AR busts nothing else on the roster matters. If anything - you can argue, at least having solid pieces on the roster will make it easier for the next GM to trade some of them for draft capital and go for his choice of a QB.

And I still think you need to stack the weapons for young QB. This has been the case throughout the league. Every big time young QB in the league exploded when he got good weapons. Mahomes had Tyreek and Kelce. Hurts took the next step with Devonta Smith and AJ Brown. Burrow made strides with Chase and Higgings, Tua - Tyreek and Waddle... Etc. we don't have a single pass catching weapon as good as any of those. You need to be sure with your QB and you need to not give him or yourself any excuses - add weapons, protect him and let's see if he's good enough or not, rather than wondering in 2 years whether we did enough for him to succeed or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A little disappointed we didn’t get Sneed, but much more disappointed we haven’t done anything for the secondary at all. 

If we end up in the same area in points allowed (28th) for a 3rd year in a row it’s not about “playing young guys” - it’s negligence. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

A little disappointed we didn’t get Sneed, but much more disappointed we haven’t done anything for the secondary at all. 

If we end up in the same area in points allowed (28th) for a 3rd year in a row it’s not about “playing young guys” - it’s negligence. 

Yep we have done nothing and that is bothersome and I don't want us to draft a CB or S in the 1st round either. We need a WR or Bowers to help Richardson out.

• Like 2