Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No choice really.  Run it back with your good players and hope your young players make a jump.  Hit on a few draft picks and hope AR is the real deal.  He’s the big unknown.

You can still bring back your own but add a couple difference makers in FA to improve the team. It’s not one of the other.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Dang a team making the playoffs and still not deciding to just “run it back”..

Texans know how to help their young QB. Good for them.

Once the Texans blow out the Colts in both games this year maybe Irsay will finally see how terrible Ballards strategy has been. Doubt it though.

Sure..

3 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

We’re going to need something on defense. DE or CB. Is it a stretch to hope that Gus is more creative this season? “Running it back” or a going to get us smoked. 

They are lauded. They just added a 3rd 1k yard WR. We are going to have to put score them. No defense is going to hold that offense down.

• Like 1

LOOK AT THIER OFFENSE 😭. Texans were absolutely going WR in the draft. They just decided that getting a proven entity was the better solution. More WR selections for us? Yay? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I’m still in the belief that if we get cooked this season Ballard “may” not make it. I’m praying AR is the real deal and can stay healthy. The Texans offense is absolutely loaded right now. We already had trouble stopping them already. Now they added Mixon and Diggs. *Sigh*

I think AR can be everything we hoped and we still lose with  how bad this colts secondary is. That alone could get him canned.

• Like 3

I will say that Ballard is firmly building his potential coffin here when contrasting his moves and what his divisional rivals are doing. I thought that he might have a bit more time with AR, but if results aren't borderline great this year after playing it incredibly conservative again, and the contrasting moves that the other AFCS teams potentially get them ahead, then he might be cooked.

I'd also remind everyone that big FA moves have a tendency to fail even more than they work, so absolutely nothing is guaranteed here for the divisonal rivals. But not playing somewhat in that market at all is usually not a recipe for success either. Teams like the 2000-2010 Colts could get away with primarily signing their own guys because of the actual elite talent Polian drafted. Ballard has proven he isn't that good at drafting as Polian at the very least.

2 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Teams like the 2000-2010 Colts could get away with primarily signing their own guys because of the actual elite talent Polian drafted. Ballard has proven he isn't that good at drafting as Polian at the very least.

Let's be honest. There is an elephant in the room that you (and everyone else that throws this concept out) are choosing to ignore. Hint: he has a big forehead and his initials are P.F.M.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I will say that Ballard is firmly building his potential coffin here when contrasting his moves and what his divisional rivals are doing. I thought that he might have a bit more time with AR, but if results aren't borderline great this year after playing it incredibly conservative again, and the contrasting moves that the other AFCS teams potentially get them ahead, then he might be cooked.

I'd also remind everyone that big FA moves have a tendency to fail even more than they work, so absolutely nothing is guaranteed here for the divisonal rivals. But not playing somewhat in that market at all is usually not a recipe for success either. Teams like the 2000-2010 Colts could get away with primarily signing their own guys because of the actual elite talent Polian drafted. Ballard has proven he isn't that good at drafting as Polian at the very least.

AR could be great this year and they still lose because they can’t stop anyone. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Let's be honest. There is an elephant in the room that you (and everyone else that throws this concept out) are choosing to ignore. Hint: he has a big forehead and his initials are P.F.M.

Compare Polians Draft classes with Ballard's and who he resigned vs who Ballard resigned. Manning had nothing to do with how talented a ton of the players Polian drafted were. Clark and Wayne would have been elite wherever they went or played for. Same with Mathis and Freeney amongst others.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Even with Peyton * Manning on those teams Polian was still better able to stock this team with talent that could play and not go out there and cost us games. Ballard is to Polian what Trent Dilfer is to Tom Brady. They have the same job title, and that’s where all the comparisons end. 

4 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Compare Polians Draft classes with Ballard's and who he resigned vs who Ballard resigned. Manning had nothing to do with how talented a ton of the players Polian drafted were. Clark and Wayne would have been elite wherever they went or played for. Same with Mathis and Freeney amongst others.

Manning had nothing to do with elevating players? You really want to make that argument? Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, Lebron James don’t elevate teammates? I don’t buy that at all. We don’t know what Clark and Wayne would have done at other teams at all. We only know what they did when Peyton Manning (or in Wayne’s case towards the end of his career, andrew luck) were throwing to them. Polian did well at defensive end, without any doubts. And Peyton Manning’s high profiled offenses getting large leads helped significantly with those players developing and producing at an elite level. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KB said:

It's not a glitch. They were removed. It probably has to do with the fact that people don't like their serious posts being responded to with a laughing emoji. The other two were removed for similar reasons. Leaving the thanks and like provides a quick way to like the post. If you don't like the post you will have to write a response of why you don't like it. Then that can be responded to. So on. Which makes sense for a forum. This isn't social media where we are searching for likes.

This is what I have been able to gather and assume through reading last night and this morning.

Then remove the "like" as well, we aren't searching for them after all....lol.  oh well.  On the bright side, it does make the place more difficult to engage with in dangerous scenarios like, driving or something like that where quick buttons enable shorter intervals between reading and response.... so that's good?

Watching Houston load up around Stroud while he’s on a rookie QB deal while Ballard is not is telling to me. I don’t think Ballard is fully sold on Richardson the way the Houston GM is sold on Stroud. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Texans got a taste of success and decided to go all in. We’ll see if it works out for them. 

Wish Ballard would make some calculated risks like Houston has. Unless he’s just not sold on Richardson like I said. 

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Yep you're right. The seasons over. Can't wait till 2025.

Might as well tank and start over. That’s what some on here prefer I think… Tear it all down, live through a massive rebuild. This team won’t do anything anyways. 

At least Indianapolis is willing to support the team. Chiefs have back to back superbowls and are looking like they might have to relocate. lol. People are strange. 

23 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think AR can be everything we hoped and we still lose with  how bad this colts secondary is. That alone could get him canned.

Colts secondary won’t be able to come close to slowing down the Houston passing game now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

AR could be great this year and they still lose because they can’t stop anyone. 

They should have gotten a veteran CB in FA this year (and they still might), but the young DBs on the roster are very likely only going to be better. The D had bad spots last year, but they had good moments as well that they can build off. They weren't this consistently awful squad that couldn't 'stop anyone' imo. We'll see I suppose.

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Watching Houston load up around Stroud while he’s on a rookie QB deal while Ballard is not is telling to me. I don’t think Ballard is fully sold on Richardson the way the Houston GM is sold on Stroud. 

This is a big reason why.  The Texans know Stroud is their present and future.  The Colts saw Richardson for part of four games last year where he finished one.  The Colts still need to find out if he’s the guy or not before they go all in like this.  That’s why I never expected it to happen this off-season.  Yes I know Richardson looked good when he was in there last year and that is reason to be encouraged but we see people look good all the time in small stretches in the NFL and then other teams figure out how to attack your weaknesses.  That’s when you find out if a player is special or not based on how they respond to that.  That’s also not including the legit question of can Richardson stay healthy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Might as well tank and start over. That’s what some on here prefer I think… Tear it all down, live through a massive rebuild. This team won’t do anything anyways. 

At least Indianapolis is willing to support the team. Chiefs have back to back superbowls and are looking like they might have to relocate. lol. People are strange. 

I don’t think that’s the case… It’s not even Diggs being signed that has folks up in arms. It’s that the one weakness we had (defense) not being properly addressed and other teams adding offensive playmakers. That’s not a great recipe for us to succeed. People are hopeful for the Colts to succeed. Don’t think anyone is demanding a rebuild. We are just putting a LOT of stock on AR to be amazing (which I think he will) and a slam dunk draft to keep us competitive. 

Hope is fleeting. Actual moves being made is tangible. We havent done much on the latter. 

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If the people of Missouri won’t pay for a new stadium, where does KC relocate to?   Neighboring Kansas?    I’ll believe it when I see it. 

11 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

I think they view it as JT’s team and we are building tuff offensive and defensive lines. Running the ball can really help out the defense.

Dominate RBs don’t win Superbowls

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Texans got a taste of success and decided to go all in. We’ll see if it works out for them. 

Really though, for any team with a supposedly playoff ready roster, is giving up a 5th, a 6th, and next years low 2nd rounder anything more than peanuts?  Seems like there isn't much of a failure risk with the acquisition.

Bills must be doing a mild reset and figure Diggs is either too expensive or whiny to bother with.  Doesn't mean he'll be a problem for HOU.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the people of Missouri won’t pay for a new stadium, where does KC relocate to?   Neighboring Kansas?    I’ll believe it when I see it. 

🤷‍♂️ 

I don’t know, but I’m betting there will be plans released quickly to show they are not messing around… Worked in Chicago.

28 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Where's the confused emoji when I really need it?!?    

Oh, wait…..    :peek:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is a big reason why.  The Texans know Stroud is their present and future.  The Colts saw Richardson for part of four games last year where he finished one.  The Colts still need to find out if he’s the guy or not before they go all in like this.  That’s why I never expected it to happen those off-season.  Yes I know Richardson looked good when he was in there last year and that is reason to be encouraged but we see people look good all the time in small stretches in the NFL and then other teams figure out how to attack your weaknesses.  That’s when you find out if a player is special or not based on how they respond to that.  That’s also not including the legit question of can Richardson stay healthy.

Well then Ballard is dumb. So just waste another year evaluating. Ballard might be dumb but that isn’t the reason. We have to stop with giving Ballard excuses.

• Like 1

I feel like people would be less hostile towards Ballard here if all these good players weren’t going to the AFCS but that’s not something he can control. Texans were already favs to win the AFCS now I wouldn’t be surprised if a few pick them to win the AFC. Though I’m not betting against Mahomes and the Chiefs at all.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd think both states would have to collaborate to approve a special tax district for the KC metro area.  Then tax the metro area like Indy did with Marion and surrounding counties.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

🤷‍♂️

I don’t know, but I’m betting there will be plans released quickly to show they are not messing around… Worked in Chicago.

Yes,  but the Bears weren’t threatening to leave Illinois, only Chicago.   I’m sure neighboring Kansas will make an offer,  but will it be enough for the Chiefs to leave KC?   That’s really hard for me to believe. 

4 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I feel like people would be less hostile towards Ballard here if all these good players weren’t going to the AFCS but that’s not something he can control. Texans were already favs to win the AFCS now I wouldn’t be surprised if a few pick them to win the AFC. Though I’m not betting against Mahomes and the Chiefs at all.

I don’t think it’s the actual players they are getting. It’s the fact Ballard doesn’t seem to care enough to try and improve this team.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I don’t think that’s the case… It’s not even Diggs being signed that has folks up in arms. It’s that the one weakness we had (defense) not being properly addressed and other teams adding offensive playmakers. That’s not a great recipe for us to succeed. People are hopeful for the Colts to succeed. Don’t think anyone is demanding a rebuild. We are just putting a LOT of stock on AR to be amazing (which I think he will) and a slam dunk draft to keep us competitive. 

Hope is fleeting. Actual moves being made is tangible. We havent done much on the latter. 

I’m not sure people actually know what the recipe of success is on this forum. I mean, when we say we can’t compare Ballard and Polian because of the “talent drafted that could go out there and not cost us games” as if we didn’t lose 14 games when Peyton manning was out. I can sure compare last season with our backup being a play away from a division title to 2011…

People are reactive- obviously. The games aren’t won on paper. They are won on the field, and I didn’t see Houston being light years ahead of us last season, even with our qb out for 6 of the 8 quarters we played them. As much as Diggs and Mixon could bring offensively, they could stunt the development of what they already had on offense last season… and they can bring the problems they have had at their prior teams. These aren’t moves I would expect or hope Ballard to make. I can be a little upset we didn’t do more this free agency, but I can also understand there is a plan to continue being competitive and it’s centered around #5 and 28 being healthy out there together. I’ll reserve judgment until well after the draft when we have a better picture of what our roster looks like. I’m not hopeless like some are… 

• Like 3