Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we going down the offensive path again?

chad72

Not sure if anyone else feels this way. The quality CBs are mostly gone, 2 run down rotational NTs are still there.

But I get a feeling that even Polian drafted D after going O early, mainly due to Dungy's insistence.

It does worry me that we may not get quality defensive starters in this draft, just nickel backs and rotational DL guys. Pagano must be happy with Rucker and Thomas and hopefully that confidence is not misplaced.

I think we go defense in our 2012 offseason to spend our free agency dollars.

Thoughts??

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We signed Def. players in the off season. We need players for Andrew to grow with. We were hurting for weapons badly. We only need a serviceable defense to compete.

Yep, 2nd to bottom in 3rd down completion % allowed and QBs completing two-thirds of their passes against us. Plus, we brought in Manusky who as DC of Chargers gave the bottom 3rd down completion % allowed.

Of course, we just need a serviceable defense to compete because we are going to outscore everyone.

Yeah, right!!!

Yep, 2nd to bottom in 3rd down completion % allowed and QBs completing two-thirds of their passes against us. Plus, we brought in Manusky who as DC of Chargers gave the bottom 3rd down completion % allowed.

Of course, we just need a serviceable defense to compete because we are going to outscore everyone.

Yeah, right!!!

I forgot the strategy was to fix everything in one year.

I forgot the strategy was to fix everything in one year.

Nope, the strategy was to provide some balance on O and D.

You can't say "build the monster" and back it up with a draft like this. It is inconsistent, to say the least, IMO, at least from the defensive point of view.

I am excited about the offensive possibilities but I firmly believe we could have prioritized a few things differently. Oh well, it is my opinion against yours and possibly others!!!

Nope, the strategy was to provide some balance on O and D.

You can't say "build the monster" and back it up with a draft like this. It is inconsistent, to say the least, IMO.

Exactly.......and they signed defensive players before the draft.

Exactly.......and they signed defensive players before the draft.

I am hoping our rainman Grigson guy finds diamonds in the rough, like our former old Polian did, to add to the defensive talent. We added DL bodies (McKinney and Redding) and Zbikowski. Did I miss anyone else? Zbikowski could not beat out Bernard Pollard, who is a coverage liability in most cases, so I am not as excited about him other than the fact that local folks may like Golden domers :). Redding and McKinney, yes, those guys are starters. The CFL talent, I do not have much knowledge of and will trust Grigson that we can get some defensive guys out of those and not just ST.

I may not be happy at this point but I am still optimistic for rounds 5-7, which is all we have at this point. Make it count, rainman!!!

Well.... we know this is a 2 year process.

Its clear that supplying Luck with TEs was going to happen in this draft because Eldridge was all we had left.... and looking on the bright side, we got what most people belive to be the two best TEs available.

Would I have preferred us to take someone at another position?

Yeah probably.... but we have QB and TE nailed down now, and with Reggie, Collie, Avery and this kid Hilton.... we seem to be pretty okay at WR, and hopefully now, PR.

My main concern on offense remains at the OG position.... so I was a bit disappointed that we passed on Cordy Glenn.

A rookie QBs best friend is a solid run game and good TEs.... and we certainly addressed one of those areas.... but only one.

No, the Colts are doing what every other team with the #1 QB does. O first, D next. Five picks left this draft, and cap space and six picks next year. It will happen in stages. It will. The Colts will be ok. I agree Pagano is in the midst of that awkward smile agreement moment with his boss Grigs as his defensive mind tries to grasp how anyone is expecting him to stop another team, but they'll get to his side. They will. Might be 2013, but they'll get there. It's a marathon not a sprint.

I am hoping our rainman Grigson guy finds diamonds in the rough, like our former old Polian did, to add to the defensive talent. We added DL bodies (McKinney and Redding) and Zbikowski. Did I miss anyone else?

I may not be happy at this point but I am still optimistic for rounds 5-7, which is all we have at this point. Make it count, rainman!!!

I am hoping they plan to bring in a few more bodies for the def. (particularly CB) once the cuts start. That being said, I hope next years draft has a heavy Def. focus.

Dungy and Polian used to have arguments as to whether go O or D early and Polian would win early but then Dungy would win later, hence Polian's later round picks 3 and onwards have been more on D (though he should have stuck with O since his round 3 picks stunk :) historically).

I am hoping they plan to bring in a few more bodies for the def. (particularly CB) once the cuts start. That being said, I hope next years draft has a heavy Def. focus.

Yeah, I am sure Pagano becomes the boss of the draft by then, just like Dungy started having more arguments with Polian.

For the record, none of the picks made where they were are bad, every one was a good quality player chosen. So, let us not mistake me being a tad disappointed with being a party pooper :). Obviously, some here can realize that. I am glad you chose to have a discussion. I appreciate that.

Remember, the old man Polian refused to get FA's but Grigson isn't like that. The draft is the main tool, but it is not the only tool. I'm sure next year he fixes the holes.

One thing I think they will have in common is using UDFAs. I think we might get UDFAs to easily bite knowing that they have traditionally had a good chance to start here. Not that we rely heavily on them, far from a long term plan, IMO. But UDFAs can fill certain voids during injury situations. I heard Grigson had already gotten in touch with UDFAs.

We signed Def. players in the off season. We need players for Andrew to grow with. We were hurting for weapons badly. We only need a serviceable defense to compete.

yes right because all the championship contender teams always have serviceable defenses, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England :lol:

The teams that was rebuilding seems to be neglecting the one part that needed rebuilding. I guess I missed the part where the offense has been broken for multiple seasons now.

We lost our #1 QB, #2 & #4/5 WR, #1 RB, #1 & #2 TE, #1 C and #1 RG. I'd say our offense needed some parts........

Yep, no point in taking a franchise QB if you don't get him some tools to work with.

Frankly we were deeper on defense going into the draft than offense. The Colts are putting what they are hoping are the peaces around Luck to grow with him. Makes sense.

This isn't a team that is trying to plug a couple of holes to make a run to the Super Bowl. This is a team that is starting with rebuilding. We'll get to the defensive side of the ball people just have to stay patient.

the focus on FA was bascially to build our defense and o-line that way which is why im not surprised with all the skill set players on offense that were drafted. if anything i would have been shocked if we drafted more defensive players then offense just because of all the effort that went to getting defensive guys through FA to the lack of offensive players

Yep, no point in taking a franchise QB if you don't get him some tools to work with.

Frankly we were deeper on defense going into the draft than offense. The Colts are putting what they are hoping are the peaces around Luck to grow with him. Makes sense.

This isn't a team that is trying to plug a couple of holes to make a run to the Super Bowl. This is a team that is starting with rebuilding. We'll get to the defensive side of the ball people just have to stay patient.

Very well said... and one builds a "CASTLE" .. BRICK by BRICK.... Indy is doing just that. I love the 2 TE's and Brody. This unit is going to be a beast.

The teams that was rebuilding seems to be neglecting the one part that needed rebuilding. I guess I missed the part where the offense has been broken for multiple seasons now.

The offense we once knew got cut this off-season would you rather luck turn into david carr, the texans didn't put enough weapons around him and he nose dived. When Peyton got draft polian loaded up on offense several years afterwards to make his qb comfortable and those weapons produced those boring 12 win season 6+ years. You can't rebuild all at once the colts are focusing on creating the right situation for Luck like they should be.

The offense we once knew got cut this off-season would you rather luck turn into david carr, the texans didn't put enough weapons around him and he nose dived. When Peyton got draft polian loaded up on offense several years afterwards to make his qb comfortable and those weapons produced those boring 12 win season 6+ years. You can't rebuild all at once the colts are focusing on creating the right situation for Luck like they should be.

Okay so what does that do? We get a successful offense running again. Still going to have a sub par defense. So when the time they seem fit to start building that defense we are already winning games, and we are gettin high 20s draft picks. Geeh we've never been down that road.

If anything Irsay should have learned, while he was sitting back and being pretty, is how to build an offense from when Bill ran the team. You need a defense first. Without that your high powered offense is going to get run over in the playoffs. We didn't need to build an offense right away because we know how to do that. Defense is going to take longer.

Well I hope our new star punt returner has a pro bowl type year cause were gonna need the extra touchdowns with the way our defense is set up, if we would have had a balanced draft we would have been just fine

Draft isn't over yet and until we actually see the offense and defensive, isn't it a little earlier to be so discouraged? I am somewhat disappointed that we haven't helped the defense yet, but if Grigson and Irsay are being honest they almost picked defense with the last two picks. They just got beat to their guys and moved down the board. Just happened to be offensive players.

Well I hope our new star punt returner has a pro bowl type year cause were gonna need the extra touchdowns with the way our defense is set up, if we would have had a balanced draft we would have been just fine

So you're of the position that one or two defensive rookies is the difference between a horrible defense and just fine?

Isn't that a bit of a stretch?