Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we going down the offensive path again?

chad72

So you're of the position that one or two defensive rookies is the difference between a horrible defense and just fine?

Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

I don't think he was going that far, but we could use some help at NT and CB. Grigson said he likes to draft starters, not backups. (Duh.) Maybe he can find some gems Day Three.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're of the position that one or two defensive rookies is the difference between a horrible defense and just fine?

Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

actually no its not when one of them rookies is a shutdown Corner (Jenkins) and the other could have played multiple positions on the line and Linebacker making Freeny and his huge salary expendable for a couple mid to late round picks (Upshaw)

instead what do we have? two defensive lineman who almost everyone thinks are going to make great linebackers, (I cant wait till they have to cover Gronkowski and Hernandez) and lets remember our glorified punt returner

actually no its not when one of them rookies is a shutdown Corner (Jenkins) and the other could have played multiple positions on the line and Linebacker making Freeny and his huge salary expendable for a couple mid to late round picks (Upshaw)

instead what do we have? two defensive lineman who almost everyone thinks are going to make great linebackers, (I cant wait till they have to cover Gronkowski and Hernandez) and lets remember our glorified punt returner

How were we getting Jenkins and Upshaw (or were you saying one of them would make the difference?).

How were we getting Jenkins and Upshaw (or were you saying one of them would make the difference?).

Im saying we could have drafted for example Upshaw (he can play d line and linebacker and we could have traded Freeny for 4-5th round pick or we could have drafted Jenkins and dangled him out their for a trade for a couple extra mid round picks

Im saying we could have drafted for example Upshaw (he can play d line and linebacker and we could have traded Freeny for 4-5th round pick or we could have drafted Jenkins and dangled him out their for a trade for a couple extra mid round picks

I think we are going to have to get used to footballs bouncing off of Freeney's chest. Doesn't look like he'll be traded. Anyone heard anything about him possibly reworking his contract?

I think we are going to have to get used to footballs bouncing off of Freeney's chest. Doesn't look like he'll be traded. Anyone heard anything about him possibly reworking his contract?

would you rework it if you make 14 million in one year? I wouldnt

Im saying we could have drafted for example Upshaw (he can play d line and linebacker and we could have traded Freeny for 4-5th round pick

We still could trade Freeney. Don't know if we will.

or we could have drafted Jenkins and dangled him out their for a trade for a couple extra mid round picks

If people wanted to trade up for him, they could have. No one did. If you did that, the only thing that would happen is that you're stuck with Jenkins and we clearly didn't want him. You're not getting another 3rd or 4th or 5th round pick for him because (as evidenced by the fact it didn't happen, even though everyone was saying that Rams would take him), no one bothered to trade up ahead of them.

Taking Upshaw instead of Fleener wouldn't have instantly turned the team around.

I wouldn't say we are going the offensive route "again." The organization seems does NOT want to have a Tim Couch or David Carr scenario. Regardless how pro ready Andrew Luck is, you have to give him the weapons and support. The Colts have the two best TE's in the draft and another "highlight reel WR/ST," on the offensive side of the ball. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the Colts have 3 all pro caliber players on the defensive side of the ball and only one on the offensive side. I'm sorry if you wanted defensive players, but the fact of the matter is we have to give our boy Andrew Luck weapons. I cannot wait to see these TE's in action, move over Gronkowski and Hernandez, talk about a scary TE group.

We could extend it to help us out this year and letting him retire as a Colt. But, no I wouldn't. I'm selfish like that. Go on, take the money and run. Hoo Hoo Hoo.

he would have to agree no matter what only thing we can do is eat the contract and watch and see just how bad this will be at the linebacker position or cut him, ideally I would love to be able to trade him to get back into the 4th round but not a snowballs chance in heck of that happening in my opinion

Who gives a % about defense this year? They weren't going to compete. Might as well go straight offense, get Luck his players. This isn't about building a balanced team right now, that's too far of a stretch. This is about showing skeptical fans that Luck is the darn future.

I got a good feeling if we keep with the offense Luck will be ROTY. (Knock on wood). Defense can wait. Show the fans who is leading the team now.

Who gives a % about defense this year? They weren't going to compete. Might as well go straight offense, get Luck his players. This isn't about building a balanced team right now, that's too far of a stretch. This is about showing skeptical fans that Luck is the darn future.

I got a good feeling if we keep with the offense Luck will be ROTY. (Knock on wood). Defense can wait. Show the fans who is leading the team now.

That could be true. Lucas Oil needs butts in the seats. And high powered offenses do just that. I hope fans don't abandon the franchise like the Pacers. (Go Pacers by the way. Pacers will beat the Magic in 5.)

Patience. More picks to come. More picks in the future. I doubt Pagano is going to ignore the D lol. And he is a better defensive coach then what we have had since Dungy left.

It's funny. A few I know (they don't come online) were so pumped after tonight. Luck and the TEs. I am hearing NE comparisons (ZOMG tight ends!!!!!). Sure it sounds completely delusional to hear our rookies compared to the Patriots powerhouse offense, but I am happy to see fans EXCITED. Something to get excited about. Much of being a fan is HOPE.

Many fans I know are happy for the first time in a while.

Well done Colts!

That could be true. Lucas Oil needs butts in the seats. And high powered offenses do just that. I hope fans don't abandon the franchise like the Pacers. (Go Pacers by the way. Pacers will beat the Magic in 5.)

Pacers fans haven't abandoned the team. Pacers have been ripping it up in April. Fans are back, the last few games at home have seated above average capacity including 17,000+ recently. They are back. Pacers are back.

If it's sustainable I hope so, but you better believe they are back in full action. Same with IU.

It also helps when they play the Magic without Dwight Howard, I definitely expect a playoff and filled up atmosphere. I do agree though it took most of the year for Pacers fans to get back on track and I do agree with you they are still lacking the fan base they used to have. That being said, they are definitely back, at least in the last few weeks, or the month of April they have been. Lets go to some games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're done on offense now, I'm sure of it. Now it's about finding a few quality late round guys, and later, some UDFA to supplement the O-line and defense. Next year's draft will undoubtedly see a similarly aggressive approach to defensive foundation building.

We're done on offense now, I'm sure of it. Now it's about finding a few quality late round guys, and later, some UDFA to supplement the O-line and defense. Next year's draft will undoubtedly see a similarly aggressive approach to defensive foundation building.

You still up after those naked showers? LOL

You still up after those naked showers? LOL

lol....no sir. I went to bed wet 'n' sloppy.

Have to get going early today. Me and the daughter are driving to Sullivan Indiana to pick up our new 6 week old Bichon Frise puppy. We drafted a cute puppy in the 4th round......lol

I got a few things to do before the trip, so a short night for me. Could barely sleep I was so pumped after the draft show.

Have to get going early today. Me and the daughter are driving to Sullivan Indiana to pick up our new 6 week old Bichon Frise puppy. We drafted a cute puppy in the 4th round......lol

I got a few things to do before the trip, so a short night for me. Could barely sleep I was so pumped after the draft show.

Have a good trip Ruksak!

I assume you mean Hughes. Fair enough. Maybe he will show improvement this year. But we did take Pat Angerer in the second round that draft. Might have gotten him later in the draft, but he has worked out pretty well.

Don't get me wrong, we do pick up good 'uns along the way, but arguing the toss over who we take and what side of the ball we go for is kind of meaningless. But all good fun I suppose...

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

That is pretty bad. I would expect it to be better closer to the playoffs, but over the season as a whole it was abysmal. IU fans never really left. They really pack the house.

For the Pacers, yeah overall it's been terrible this year in terms of attendance. It's has been much better in April and I assume fans will show up in full force today vs the Magic (without Dwight Howard) for the playoffs. I really hope fans come back again this team is great, best team since the good years :thmup: Loyal Pacers fan.

mypacers.jpg

GO IU also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you are reading to much into this right now.

We just drafted our franchise QB and you got to surround him with talent. Getting a great defense together is great, but with how the league is skewed towards offense you got to make plays in the passing game. Look at the 49ers. They lost because their offenses inability to do anything in the playoff game.

We are getting him some weapons so it is not an utter disaster offensively. Before this draft he had one consistent target and that is Reggie Wayne. Who knows what Collie and Avery will do.

Now we can focus on defense, have next years draft and free agency to build the defense. This is a 2-3 year rebuild process so it is going to take time. Might as well get your QB some real targets.

It appears we have different draft styles. My daughter and I just took a Blue Heeler in the first round.....lol

I wouldn't say we are going the offensive route "again." The organization seems does NOT want to have a Tim Couch or David Carr scenario. Regardless how pro ready Andrew Luck is, you have to give him the weapons and support. The Colts have the two best TE's in the draft and another "highlight reel WR/ST," on the offensive side of the ball. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the Colts have 3 all pro caliber players on the defensive side of the ball and only one on the offensive side. I'm sorry if you wanted defensive players, but the fact of the matter is we have to give our boy Andrew Luck weapons. I cannot wait to see these TE's in action, move over Gronkowski and Hernandez, talk about a scary TE group.

Bingo

It appears we have different draft styles. My daughter and I just took a Blue Heeler in the first round.....lol

My friend has one of those, it showed up lost on his land as a puppy and they adopted it. An Australian sheep herder, if I'm not mistaken. A beautiful and loyal dog.

Did you watch NEs defense this year? Have you seen our Def. the last 12 years of success?

I sure did and Tom Brady and Peyton covered up ALOT of holes, do you really want Luck to start off having to do the same thing? cause thats where we are headed this year

Can I just say, these are some of the cornerbacks available that I like.

Leonard Johnson, Chase Minnifield, Brandon Boykin, Josh Norman, Alfonzo Dennard (character concerns), Omar Bolden, Shaun Prater, Coty Sensabaugh. Keith Tandy is still there too, and he visited with us. I doubt all of these are going in the fourth round, given who is still available in other positions.

I sure did and Tom Brady and Peyton covered up ALOT of holes, do you really want Luck to start off having to do the same thing? cause thats where we are headed this year

No I absolutely dont....and Luck will not be able to cover up those holes. I don't think our defense is that terrible. I'm not necessarily saying top 15 or even top 20. My point is that Andrew needs players on his side of the ball to grow with. The points will come. And speaking in terms of 2012, the defense need only keep them in the game (hence compete....this year), not dominate. Two years from now, I expect a dominating defense. This year, just put the kid in position to win some games.