Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Exciting times ahead. Key dates to know for Colts fans (MERGE)

csmopar

2024 season starts on Tuesday, the first day we can potentially tag Pittman or Stewart. Or anyone else. I would think we’ll start hearing contract situations starting Monday. Going to be a pivotal off-season for Ballard again. 

combine starts shortly after. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-key-dates-for-2024-offseason-combine-free-agency-draft-schedule-otas-start-of-training-camp/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• csmopar changed the title to Exciting times ahead. Key dates to know for Colts fans
11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

2024 season starts on Tuesday, the first day we can potentially tag Pittman or Stewart. Or anyone else. I would think we’ll start hearing contract situations starting Monday. Going to be a pivotal off-season for Ballard again. 

combine starts shortly after. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-key-dates-for-2024-offseason-combine-free-agency-draft-schedule-otas-start-of-training-camp/

Can the Colts re-sign their own FAs before FA if they choose as well if they don't want to franchise tag them? I would like to re-sign as many of Pittman, Stewart, Blackmon, and Moore as possible.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Can the Colts re-sign their own FAs before FA if they choose as well if they don't want to franchise tag them? I would like to re-sign as many of Pittman, Stewart, Blackmon, and Moore as possible.

The answer to your question is yes.   The Colts can sign there own any time now.   The four you mention are likely to be signed before FA opens in mid-March. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Yes which is why we COULD start hearing about it really anytime 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Well,   he drafted him.   That's a really good indicator 

There have been other players Drafted by Ballard and all other GM's that weren't resigned.

The key to Pittman coming back is the money. We all know the colts.are a better team with him than without.. The WR room needs to add not subtract. But its still depends on the money and what Pittman thinks is best financially for his family.. There's a chance he will be  franchised if they can't come.together.. It also is possible another team is willing to out pay the colts??

Money talks and will probably be the deciding factor to how much Ballard wants him back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There have been other players Drafted by Ballard and all other GM's that weren't resigned.

The key to Pittman coming back is the money. We all know the colts.are a better team with him than without.. The WR room needs to add not subtract. But its still depends on the money and what Pittman thinks is best financially for his family.. There's a chance he will be  franchised if they can't come.together.. It also is possible another team is willing to out pay the colts??

Money talks and will probably be the deciding factor to how much Ballard wants him back. 

Pittman will be a Colt for at least 3 more years.   I'm surprised the football gods didn't let you in on the secret 

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

My guess is your view is the popular view.  Most everyone feels that way.  

But I’m an odd duck.  Ok, a very odd duck!  

I ***LOVE*** the off-season.  I love trying to guess what will happen.   Which players are kept, which are let go?  Which free agents do the Colts sign?   Who do they draft, plus what about trading down and up.   All sorts of strategy involved. 

And this last until June.  There’s a 6 plus week break for the players, but until then, there are always things going on that are interesting to me.    

Like I said, I’m wired funny!    :lecture:

I agree with you. I love the Combine and pro day, I love FA, I absolutely LOVE the draft with Chris Ballard as the GM. It's a very fun time to see how each team changes and improves. Staff changes as well sometimes. Then training camp to see how they perform early as a team before games. Lot of fun to watch everything. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I ***LOVE*** the off-season.  I love trying to guess what will happen.   Which players are kept, which are let go?  Which free agents do the Colts sign?   Who do they draft, plus what about trading down and up.   All sorts of strategy involved. 

And this lasts until June.  There’s a 6 plus week break for the players, but until then, there are always things going on that are interesting to me.    

I don’t think you are wired differently than most. For the last decade, the offseason has been my favorite part. it’s not as stressful to me, but equally or more engaging and exciting. During my playing days, I bought in on the concept of games being won in January/February with training.

I think roster building/preparation is half the equation with execution in the actual season being the other half. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Wow, we have a lot in common.  Even though I’m from Ohio, I became a Colts fan.   Johnny U, Tom Matte….  I also became a Bullets fan because Earl Monroe was my favorite player.  I laughingly tried to model my game after him.

And for some reason I’m (was) a Tigers fan.  Al Kaline, McLain, Lolich…

I think some of it has to do with all of my friends being Cleveland or Pittsburgh fans in every sport and I wanted to be different.  

But now, like you, I’m all Colts and Buckeyes.  

I could tell that you are an intelligent sort :)

Johnny U and Mike Curtis made me a Colt fan

(I had a Mike Curtis poster on my wall)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I could tell that you are an intelligent sort :)

Johnny U and Mike Curtis made me a Colt fan

(I had a Mike Curtis poster on my wall)

Me too.  I also had a Mike Curtis poster on my wall.  His was the only poster I ever had on my wall.  Those were the good old days as they say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And this lasts until June.  There’s a 6 plus week break for the players, but until then, there are always things going on that are interesting to me.    

I was *mostly* being sarcastic about that, but I get what you're saying and agree. I think for me, right now, I'm feeling a bit cooped up and getting cabin fever. I had my spine surgery last week, so I'm basically either in bed, doing small PT stuff at home or sleeping. Makes the days go by very, very slow. So in my head, I'm wishing the season was beginning. That would me I'm about 80% recovered, and I get to watch Richardson shut some people up finally.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Pittman will be a Colt for at least 3 more years.   I'm surprised the football gods didn't let you in on the secret 

Back to your world of rainbows and candy canes lol.

I do think he will be a.colt but you said he would because Ballard drafted him. He most likely is coming back but at a contract that Irsay and Pittman  agree too which I do believe will get done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

And you think if he doesn't want him back(at salary he will command) he woulda said so at the presser??? Lol

what a player thinks they are worth and what the market says they are worth are often not the same… Ballard believes in letting the market dictate what a player is worth, rightfully so. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Back to your world of rainbows and candy canes lol.

I do think he will be a.colt but you said he would because Ballard drafted him. He most likely is coming back but at a contract that Irsay and Pittman  agree too which I do believe will get done. 

You assume Irsay is even competently minded right now… Which no one knows for sure. He’s not posting his own social content, that’s for sure. Not sure he has for some time, quite honestly. He doesn’t make the videos he’s shared the past year or so, that’s for sure. 

Just read an interesting article on Mike Evans in BR.  Apparently if he doesn’t agree to a new contract by the end of today the Bucs will lose a little over $7.2m in cap space.  The team has set a “soft “ deadline of today to get a deal done because of the cap space issue.  Reports say they are far apart so unless something drastically changes he is probably heading to FA.  The Colts are mentioned as one of the teams that makes sense for him to go to.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read an interesting article on Mike Evans in BR.  Apparently if he doesn’t agree to a new contract by the end of today the Bucs will lose a little over $7.2m in cap space.  The team has set a “soft “ deadline of today to get a deal done because of the cap space issue.  Reports say they are far apart so unless something drastically changes he is probably heading to FA.  The Colts are mentioned as one of the teams that makes sense for him to go to.

Eh not sure I’d want to pick him up or not. Tough pass

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Colts are mentioned as one of the teams that makes sense for him to go to.

It may be hard to get older WRs to come here in Free agency with our current qb situation.  Dont get me wrong, as a fan im fine with rolling with Anthony but he is far from proven, especially as a passer

On 2/17/2024 at 8:35 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t think you are wired differently than most. For the last decade, the offseason has been my favorite part. it’s not as stressful to me, but equally or more engaging and exciting. During my playing days, I bought in on the concept of games being won in January/February with training.

I think roster building/preparation is half the equation with execution in the actual season being the other half. 

Yep. It is a marathon, not a sprint. No one expects Ballard to spend like the Jaguars do in free agency, just asking that he spends more than he normally does, just a little bit :). Dennard Wilson of Titans aims to cultivate an attacking defense. We can bet DeMeco Ryans and Nick Caserio will spend a bit for free agents with their cap room to maximize Stroud's rookie contract. Jaguars - they always win March, maybe they will stand pat this time and focus on the draft. 

Ballard needs to give Steichen and Bradley most of what they want in FA and the draft, hopefully both of them have input in the roster construction. Wouldn't mind a re-union with Denico Autry at all.

Now, we have 4 teams in the AFC South, with Stroud, Lawrence, AR and Levis on rookie contracts. All of them will be spending, IMO, though Titans first have to unload Tannehill.

19 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

It may be hard to get older WRs to come here in Free agency with our current qb situation.  Dont get me wrong, as a fan im fine with rolling with Anthony but he is far from proven, especially as a passer

I agree.  I’m sure they see the potential but if it’s possibly their last contract they will  be leaning towards a bonafide contender with a proven quarterback.  I think we could attract younger receivers easier.

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. It is a marathon, not a sprint. No one expects Ballard to spend like the Jaguars do in free agency, just asking that he spends more than he normally does, just a little bit :). Dennard Wilson of Titans aims to cultivate an attacking defense. We can bet DeMeco Ryans and Nick Caserio will spend a bit for free agents with their cap room to maximize Stroud's rookie contract. Jaguars - they always win March, maybe they will stand pat this time and focus on the draft. 

Ballard needs to give Steichen and Bradley most of what they want in FA and the draft, hopefully both of them have input in the roster construction. Wouldn't mind a re-union with Denico Autry at all.

Now, we have 4 teams in the AFC South, with Stroud, Lawrence, AR and Levis on rookie contracts. All of them will be spending, IMO, though Titans first have to unload Tannehill.

It could be final stretch of the Ballard marathon though. That’s my argument to looking to sprint or else getting blown out by those that are just ahead of you. Turn it on now, or never get the opportunity to. 

It is about spending, but to me, it’s more about aggressiveness. Identify a few positions that can ultimately make the biggest difference and be aggressive. To me, it’s receiver and free safety that can make the most impact over the next 2 seasons. Of course we want a pass rusher. Of course we want cornerbacks. But I’m not buying that they aren’t going to roll with Paye, Dayo, ebukam on the edge and Flowers, Brents, jones, Kenny Moore (or whoever they bring to replace him). I think they look to be aggressive at free safety in free agency, and to either trade for a receiver or trade up in the draft for one. Maybe it’s what I hope for. Just have a feeling that is what they are eyeballing, and it’s mostly based on Ballard’s comments in the post season presser. Hes shown his hand time and time again in those pressers. I think he did again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It could be final stretch of the Ballard marathon though. That’s my argument to looking to sprint or else getting blown out by those that are just ahead of you. Turn it on now, or never get the opportunity to. 

It is about spending, but to me, it’s more about aggressiveness. Identify a few positions that can ultimately make the biggest difference and be aggressive. To me, it’s receiver and free safety that can make the most impact over the next 2 seasons. Of course we want a pass rusher. Of course we want cornerbacks. But I’m not buying that they aren’t going to roll with Paye, Dayo, ebukam on the edge and Flowers, Brents, jones, Kenny Moore (or whoever they bring to replace him). I think they look to be aggressive at free safety in free agency, and to either trade for a receiver or trade up in the draft for one. Maybe it’s what I hope for. Just have a feeling that is what they are eyeballing, and it’s mostly based on Ballard’s comments in the post season presser. Hes shown his hand time and time again in those pressers. I think he did again.

Well, he has been going after explosiveness in theory, with his pursuit of RAS-oriented players. We will see how this next go around is different.

24 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

For me I think Ballard and Gus will let their new DL coach have a crack at improving the pressure rate.  Hopefully Dayo and Kwity continue making strides.  That’s why I think ER might not be high on the FA list.  But I can see safety and WR being the priority in FA.  Followed by a coverage linebacker like Patrick Queen or a TE like Noah Fant.  I think signing three out of four of those positions in FA would really fill a number of needs and improve the team considerably.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm sure Ballard,  Steichen and irsay have had many conversations about the roster.   The fact they are keeping gus leads me to believe cb isn't going to be high on the list. I'm guessing a wr or edge.  Who knows.   That's the beauty of message boards 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

For me I think Ballard and Gus will let their new DL coach have a crack at improving the pressure rate.  Hopefully Dayo and Kwity continue making strides.  That’s why I think ER might not be high on the FA list.  But I can see safety and WR being the priority in FA.  Followed by a coverage linebacker like Patrick Queen or a TE like Noah Fant.  I think signing three out of four of those positions in FA would really fill a number of needs and improve the team considerably.

I think you’re right, I just think it’s the wrong approach. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Id like to share some info about Safety.   You’re not alone in thinking the Colts might go after a safety in FA.   I disagree and here’s why…. 

These are the safeties Ballard has drafted. 

Hooker.    1

Willis.        4

Tell.            5

Blackmon.  3.  (85 after trade down)

Davis.          5

Cross.          3.   (96)

Scott.           5.   (158)

to me, this tells all of us that Ballard doesn’t think safety requires a premium player.  So I don’t see the Colts either drafting a safety high or signing one in FA to a contract of $10 mil per.  Heck, Ballard signed Rodney Mcloud and he played great for the Colts. 

Your view is popular.  I see plenty of posts that say what you’re saying.   But recent history says you’re likely going to be disappointed. 

• Like 1