Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Exciting times ahead. Key dates to know for Colts fans (MERGE)

csmopar

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think colts are going to do anything big on offense in FA. They will use the draft for that. I really do think they will use FA for defense.

I think you’re right. Besides resigning our own guys, I don’t expect an explosive offensive player to even be available let alone be signed

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think colts are going to do anything big on offense in FA. They will use the draft for that. I really do think they will use FA for defense.

O-line depth and a receiver to replace McKenzie, but nothing early. Lateee free agency, maybe not even until later in the offseason. 

I see D-line and safety being the main focus in free agency. Ballard has drafted good linebackers, and I expect one maybe two in the mid-late rounds of the draft for special teams/development. I don’t see the need as much as others for a pass defending backer. If you solve the safety issue, they’ll have Harrison to utilize there. Safety is most important, imo. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think you’re right. Besides resigning our own guys, I don’t expect an explosive offensive player to even be available let alone be signed

Colts have enough youth in the secondary. They don’t need more. They need a proven guy or two. My guess most likely will be offense at 15. Then rest of draft for depth all over the roster. It’s a good OT class do maybe they can find some good offensive line depth. Although they seemed to have pretty good depth this year there.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Here’s a fun game: you’re Ballard, the Bears call and offer to trade you number one, compensation aside, who would you pick at number 1?

Harrison. No brainer 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Tyquan might get paid by another team if colts don’t extend him. His pressure numbers were so good last year. Him and Ballard have a very good relstionship so we will see. If he hits FA not sure colts will be able to match. If he goes we need a replacement: plus he is versatile.

Yeah, his breakout came a bit too late for us but no matter where he goes, he gets a 1 year "show me" type of deal, hard to see given his injury history, him getting 2 or 3 years though. The question is, how much more does another team offer him?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Id like to share some info about Safety.   You’re not alone in thinking the Colts might go after a safety in FA.   I disagree and here’s why…. 

These are the safeties Ballard has drafted. 

Hooker.    1

Willis.        4

Tell.            5

Blackmon.  3.  (85 after trade down)

Davis.          5

Cross.          3.   (96)

Scott.           5.   (158)

to me, this tells all of us that Ballard doesn’t think safety requires a premium player.  So I don’t see the Colts either drafting a safety high or signing one in FA to a contract of $10 mil per.  Heck, Ballard signed Rodney Mcloud and he played great for the Colts. 

Your view is popular.  I see plenty of posts that say what you’re saying.   But recent history says you’re likely going to be disappointed. 

Thomas was bad last year and cross showed very little. Bringing back Blackmon and going after on in FA makes sense. I don’t think it will be a huge name though. Maybe someone like McLeod. Just a steady hand back there that has some experience.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, his breakout came a bit too late for us but no matter where he goes, he gets a 1 year "show me" type of deal, hard to see given his injury history, him getting 2 or 3 years though. The question is, how much more does another team offer him?

Yeah the injury thing might hold teams back. He is also 29 years old. So that is in colts favor.

I don’t think colts need an edge in the draft. Colts like every team want an elite edge but that is just not out there. They need an elite guy not a very good guy. We have plenty of good is Lewis comes back.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Id like to share some info about Safety.   You’re not alone in thinking the Colts might go after a safety in FA.   I disagree and here’s why…. 

Hooker.    1

Willis.        4

Tell.            5

Davis.          5

to me, this tells all of us that Ballard doesn’t think safety requires a premium player.  So I don’t see the Colts either drafting a safety high or signing one in FA to a contract of $10 mil per.  Heck, Ballard signed Rodney Mcloud and he played great for the Colts. 

Your view is popular.  I see plenty of posts that say what you’re saying.   But recent history says you’re likely going to be disappointed. 

I see your point, and I have already pondered that… but I think his comments regarding free safety stood out more, and I took the “limit explosive plays” comment to be more about the backend versus the front end. He said they need to get improve up front some, but I don’t see them making any big moves that replaces anyone on the line.

They moved Blackmon to strong safety and I think they’ll resign him there (just hope he stays healthy, because he’s great when he is). they gave cross his chance, and I think there is a lot of potential there but they aren’t willing to keep putting him out there except in certain situations, and if necessary. I doubt they think Thomas needs to be out there, and while they are expecting good things from Scott, they understand he’s coming off an IR rookie year. A veteran safety is what the defense needs right now. Premium position or not. I don’t see corner being their concern, outside of needing depth. If they resign Kenny Moore, which I think they will to a 2 year deal, then they have their starting corners going into the season in Flowers, Brents and Moore and Jones hopefully continuing to improve as a key 4th. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hooker.    1

Willis.        4

Tell.            5

Davis.          5

You may be right but I can see him go after a seasoned OG for the RG position. I have heard the Giants let go of Mark Glowinski, and that is possible. I do like Graham Glasgow of the Lions, he would be a great get for Ballard.

Getting Denico Autry back or DaQuan Jones of Bills might be another trench improvement he might target. That fits with the trench based seasoned veteran, good for ROI, type of moves Ballard likes.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Thomas was bad last year and cross showed very little. Bringing back Blackmon and going after on in FA makes sense. I don’t think it will be a huge name though. Maybe someone like McLeod. Just a steady hand back there that has some experience.

People make comments like yours every year.   But for better and worse, Ballard is incredibly patient.  He believes in his young players and that they will get better.   More times than not, he’s proven right.  

Ballard doesn’t draft safeties high nor does he sign expensive safeties in free agency.   Those are facts.   And here you are pushing back. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Free safety looks like a pretty good free agency class… 

If anything, getting a vet like Tashaun Gipson, not a youngling, is the direction Ballard would go for free safety, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

People make comments like yours every year.   But for better and worse, Ballard is incredibly patient.  He believes in his young players and that they will get better.   More times than not, he’s proven right.  

Ballard doesn’t draft safeties high nor does he sign expensive safeties in free agency.   Those are facts.   And here you are pushing back. 

yet his very first draft, he picked a free safety with his 15th pick… 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We don’t even have a starting safety right now. Blackmon will be a FA and cross and Thomas are just plain bad. Thomas was benched he was so bad. I don’t think it will be a big name safety. Just someone who can communicate and be a steady hand. Probably won’t even cost much. Then you can draft one and be a little patient. This team is ready to win if this secondary gets fixed. You don’t want this offense to have to be Superman every week. 

BTW I never said expensive FA safety. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You may be right but I can see him go after a seasoned OG for the RG position. I have heard the Giants let go of Mark Glowinski, and that is possible. I do like Graham Glasgow of the Lions, he would be a great get for Ballard.

Getting Denico Autry back or DaQuan Jones of Bills might be another trench improvement he might target. That fits with the trench based seasoned veteran, good for ROI, type of moves Ballard likes.

Huh? 

How is it that I write a long post about safety and you write back talking about….    offensive guard?   Huh? 

But I’ll humor you.  Odds are Ballard sticks with Fries.   He quietly had a decent year and few here even noticed. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We don’t even have a starting safety right now. Blackmon will be a FA and cross and Thomas are just plain bad. Thomas was benched he was so bad. I don’t think it will be a big name safety. Just someone who can communicate and be a steady hand. Probably won’t even cost much. Then you can draft one and be a little patient. This team is ready to win if this secondary gets fixed. You don’t want this offense to have to be Superman every week. 

I will stand by my feelings of where they are looking to improve this offseason the most. “More explosiveness on offense… limit explosive plays on defense” 

That is receiver and safety… They will look for the defensive line and cornerbacks to take another jump, “I expect our defense to make another jump next season” and the key weakness is safety. 

They will look to tag or re-sign Pittman, and use the 1st round pick on a receiver, which looks like a whole lot of explosiveness to me. I am pounding for him to be aggressive and trade up for one. Use the rest of the draft and free agency to find your talent and supplement the roster. I don’t see any reasons to try and upgrade starters anywhere else. Receiver, safety, finding lineman and linebackers in late free agency/ the remaining draft, letting the roster grow, and getting #5 out there/keeping him healthy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think Ballard is happy with fries. We are actually returning the entire Oline and backups. 

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

yet his very first draft, he picked a free safety with his 15th pick… 

That was for Pagano though, not since Gus Bradley was chosen to run the D.

However, if they want to implement a Seahawks' style D, we don't know if we have our Chancellor or Earl Thomas. :) 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

BTW I never said expensive FA safety. 

Nick Cross has a PFF grade of nearly 72.  I don’t know where in the world you got the idea that he’s just plain bad.  The opposite is true.  

Again, every year posters here predict a change in Ballard’s behavior.  And every year they’re disappointed that he doesn’t.  I don’t expect him to change this year, though with a new HC, it’s certainly possible.   

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think Ballard is happy with fries. We are actually returning the entire Oline and backups. 

Fries played very well at times. He didn’t have too many bad games by any stretch. I don’t know why we would be concerned about the o-line which seemed to return to 2021 form in a lot of ways. their health (especially Kelly, smith and Nelson) is the biggest concern, but should be better. Raimman is the guy at left tackle. I have more questions at tight end than offensive line. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Nick Cross has a PFF grade of nearly 72.  I don’t know where in the world you got the idea that he’s just plain bad.  The opposite is true.  

Again, every year posters here predict a change in Ballard’s behavior.  And every year they’re disappointed that he doesn’t.  I don’t expect him to change this year, though with a new HC, it’s certainly possible.   

He was not good. Do you reminder the last Texans game. It was him that blew those coverages and let the big plays happen.

• Like 2

The same thing could  be said about CB too. Go try and find a vet  option that won’t cost a lot but can improve the defense and draft another corner. Thst way they aren’t stuck with rookies who make a ton of mistakes and they can be patient.

Snead may be available, rumors are KC can’t afford all their FA 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Sneed may be available, rumors are KC can’t afford all their FA 

I would take him in a heartbeat, Sneed, but Bradley's D, do you think they will pay $20 mil. for a man CB?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That was for Pagano though, not since Gus Bradley was chosen to run the D.

However, if they want to implement a Seahawks' style D, we don't know if we have our Chancellor or Earl Thomas. :) 

I don’t deny that. But he also knew Pagano was in an evaluation year and he likely wanted him gone… If it weren’t for health, we might still have Malik here and wouldn’t need this conversation. 

safety play, especially free safety, was the glaring weakness. And it still is (in my opinion). Blackmon and Cross are strong safeties. They need a disruptive, play making player (like hooker) on the backend to pair with those two… 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

your last sentence was what I would respond with. Ballard is also in a different position than we have grown accustomed to. He is feeling pressure, he has his qb, and has set the stage to “be more flexible to be aggressive.” 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was not good. Do you reminder the last Texans game. It was him that blew those coverages and let the big plays happen.

You pick a moment out of one game.  

I gave you a season long grade.  Ballard does not give up on his young players quickly unlike some fans here. 

I believe Pagono said hooker was the next Ed Reed lol. So that was probably a Chuck pick.

Why would he have had that much influence? It doesn’t make sense to me… He “pounded the table for the 2nd round” pick Wilson that year too, which tells me that Ballard and company had Hooker high up on that board… He wasn’t supposed to be there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t deny that. But he also knew Pagano was in an evaluation year and he likely wanted him gone… If it weren’t for health, we might still have Malik here and wouldn’t need this conversation. 

safety play, especially free safety, was the glaring weakness. And it still is (in my opinion). Blackmon and Cross are strong safeties. They need a disruptive, play making player (like hooker) on the backend to pair with those two… 

your last sentence was what I would respond with. Ballard is also in a different position than we have grown accustomed to. He is feeling pressure, he has his qb, and has set the stage to “be more flexible to be aggressive.” 

One hundred percent right about Ballard. He has his QB so he should be done being patient. It’s sink or swim.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

safety play, especially free safety, was the glaring weakness. And I answers (in my opinion). Blackmon and Cross are strong safeties. They need a disruptive, play making player (like hooker) on the backend to pair with those two… 

If Ballard is more flexible this year (which I think is possible) he’d take a WR or corner in the first.   Might take that player at 15, or he might trade down and take that position.  I think the only thing he won’t do is trade up in the first. 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sure, but times are changing for Ballard. If he keeps waiting the only thing he’ll find at the end is his pink slip. If he can’t feel the seat getting hot, that his own mistake. 

He himself said they need to limit explosive plays on defensive. How do you expect to do that if you don’t bring in talent who can?

The only thing Ballard has drafted high (excluding 2017) is trenches and QB. Besides that he’s traded it for Buck (trenches) or traded back.

I’m not saying he’ll draft a guy high (day 1 or early day 2), but if he doesn’t he needs to make a move in FA - and that’s not bring in another JAG on a one year deal. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You pick a moment out of one game.  

I gave you a season long grade.  Ballard does not give up on his young players quickly unlike some fans here. 

If Ballard goes into next season with cross as the safety and doesn’t at least bring a vet in for competition he should be fired.

Saw today Bucs are going to be tagging Winfield. No surprise there.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I believe Pagono said hooker was the next Ed Reed lol. So that was probably a Chuck pick.

Pagano spent most of his career coaching defensive backs.  He knows a thing or two.  And Hooker was the highest rated safety in years.  Few thought he’d even last until 15.   It was shocking here when he did.  

And Hooker likely would’ve justified the pick if he hadn’t suffered a very bad knee injury.  Took years to recover so he’d be good again. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Ballard is more flexible this year (which I think is possible) he’d take a WR or corner in the first.   Might take that player at 15, or he might trade down and take that position.  I think the only thing he won’t do is trade up in the first. 

I don’t think there is any way he take a corner 1st. Receiver makes far more sense. Draft position value obviously matters, which is why I say trade up. If you identify that the top (x amount) of receivers are legit and would be game changing explosive players for your rookie qb, then you go get them… I don’t expect one of the top 3, maybe 4 to be there at 15… 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t think there is any way he take a corner 1st. Receiver makes far more sense. Draft position value obviously matters, which is why I say trade up. If you identify that the top (x amount) of receivers are legit and would be game changing explosive players for your rookie qb, then you go get them… I don’t expect one of the top 3, maybe 4 to be there at 15… 

The good thing is that there are a lot of WR this draft again. It’s loaded. We should really be able to upgrade there.