Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Reese’s Senior Bowl Tracker (Measurements, 1-on-1’s,etc…)

2 hours ago, stitches said:

True. Elite traits seems to be the overwhelming bias Ballard has. But still I take him at his word when he says his philosophy is to build from the inside out. IMO only Hooker deviates from that on players drafted in R1 or acquired via 1st round pick and we have a reason to believe Ballard really thought Hooker would be special FS. I think at the time there was a leaked photo that showed Hooker's card on the Colts board and they had him ranked as the 3d best player in the draft. 

I did then, and still do now, feel like Hooker was a panic pick. They admittedly didn't bring him in until the very last moment because they didn't think he was going to fall. I don't think they did their due diligence on Hooker and when he fell to them they panicked and took him thinking a blue chip prospect they hadn't truly considered was there for the taking. He was uber talented and man did he flash, but injuries was his demise which was the question mark coming out of college.

Maybe with a little more time they could have avoided the pick? I still wont hold his very first class against him though. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, twfish said:

I did then, and still do now, feel like Hooker was a panic pick. They admittedly didn't bring him in until the very last moment because they didn't think he was going to fall. I don't think they did their due diligence on Hooker and when he fell to them they panicked and took him thinking a blue chip prospect they hadn't truly considered was there for the taking. He was uber talented and man did he flash, but injuries was his demise which was the question mark coming out of college.

Maybe with a little more time they could have avoided the pick? I still wont hold his very first class against him though. 

I still think Hooker was the right pick. You cannot really predict that type of injury future when you draft him. He had an injury when we drafted him, but that particular injury didn't seem to be very serious and he didn't miss any time with it AFAIR. And the start of his career with the Colts was special. He truly looked like the next big time FS. Until the injuries hit... and kept hitting him... again and again... 

• Like 5

We needed a Blue Chip Edge the year we drafted Kwity at 19. I can't imagine many grading him as that. Yet Ballard didn't trade back.

At 15, a true Blue Chip player should fall to us.

Someone that Ballard/Dodds can't screw up on. Make the pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

This would mean you believe Paye = Dayo. And we definitely need to add a young high quality prospect for development. They typically take 2 plus years to become good even if drafted in the first half of rd 1.

I wouldn't say Paye = Dayo. I think they're kind of opposites as far as specialty. I see where people get the comparison to Dayo seeing as he plays in and out. I say Paye because I see alot of holding his edge and providing a strong bull rush. I think Robinson can grow into someone who is primarily a LDE that holds the edge and gets you about 8 sacks. He is showing in the senior bowl that he might be able to provide more pressure than Paye.

44 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We needed a Blue Chip Edge the year we drafted Kwity at 19. I can't imagine many grading him as that. Yet Ballard didn't trade back.

Hopefully there are a good amount of risers from the senior bowl and combine that helps push the blue chip players down.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

This would mean you believe Paye = Dayo. And we definitely need to add a young high quality prospect for development. They typically take 2 plus years to become good even if drafted in the first half of rd 1.

During the post draft presser, Ballard said they like Dayo so much they thought about taking him in the 1st round. So it’s likely they liked Paye and him about the same. Personally I think Edge is a round 3 or later pick this year. Like you said we already have those guys on the roster and they both had 8 sacks this year. If Lewis leaves you may want another guy in the mix to sit and develop. 

3 hours ago, twfish said:

What demise are you talking about?

Malik Hooker has been mostly healthy and is playing well since Indy didn't re-sign him. And, Indy is still looking for a FS. 

36 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Malik Hooker has been mostly healthy and is playing well since Indy didn't re-sign him. And, Indy is still looking for a FS. 

I guess I was talking just about his time with Indy not Dallas. He’s been a solid player for the boys but still not quite the Ed Reed type FS he was slated to be.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I still think Hooker was the right pick. You cannot really predict that type of injury future when you draft him. He had an injury when we drafted him, but that particular injury didn't seem to be very serious and he didn't miss any time with it AFAIR. And the start of his career with the Colts was special. He truly looked like the next big time FS. Until the injuries hit... and kept hitting him... again and again... 

The Buckeye to the Colts curse. Hey, keep swinging like swinging for Buckeye QBs, eventually we will get a Stroud equivalent in a player, right?? :) 

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Some of my personal standouts/favorites from the practices:

-Kitan Oladapo, SAF Oregon State

-Dylan Laube, RB New Hampshire U.

-Max Milton, CB Rutgers

-Cam Hart, CB Notre Dame

-Gabe Hall, DT Baylor

I really like Cam Hart and Dylan Laube.

• Like 2

Spencer Rattler was the only notable standout from the actual game. Usually the game is where the QBs, RBs, and LBs can actually shine.

Wonder how many players we’ll pick up from here. Read somewhere that like 20+ of Ballard’s picks have been senior bowl participants.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Spencer Rattler was the only notable standout from the actual game. Usually the game is where the QBs, RBs, and LBs can actually shine.

Wonder how many players we’ll pick up from here. Read somewhere that like 20+ of Ballard’s picks have been senior bowl participants.

He was running for his life at South Carolina and would make a great backup to replace Ehlinger and eventually Minshew, IMO, if he works out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

He was running for his life at South Carolina and would make a great backup to replace Ehlinger and eventually Minshew, IMO, if he works out.

If he was there in round 5 or 6 I would pull the trigger

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 10:22 AM, stitches said:

The way this is going... if he tests like people expect him to test, Guyton might actually go before our pick. 

Oh damn... and next rep he got beat for first time today with a spin move by Nelson Ceaser. 

If that was a game, that would be an easy holding penalty for the ref. You can see the OT grab and rip down on the DE which caused him to end up on the ground (Right between 3 seconds and 4 you can see the bear hug with the OTs white glove). Frankly the DE won that rep because the offense would be walking back.

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If he was there in round 5 or 6 I would pull the trigger

FWIW:   Jordan Reid, one of ESPN’s draft evaluators,  this week rated Rattler as a 4th round talent.   I should stress, it’s still early and these things can go up or down. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 2:54 PM, Defjamz26 said:

During the post draft presser, Ballard said they like Dayo so much they thought about taking him in the 1st round. So it’s likely they liked Paye and him about the same. Personally I think Edge is a round 3 or later pick this year. Like you said we already have those guys on the roster and they both had 8 sacks this year. If Lewis leaves you may want another guy in the mix to sit and develop. 

As much as I like Grover, paying him say, $12M, I would look hard at options in FA for someone that gets more penetration. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

As much as I like Grover, paying him say, $12M, I would look hard at options in FA for someone that gets more penetration. 

I think Grover’s main responsibility is to stop the run and demand double teams which he does exceedingly well.  We found that out the hard way when he was suspended.  If 12m turned out to be the number that wouldn’t bother me at all.  We have plenty of cap space and could easily create more space if need be.  Hopefully Lewis returns as well.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2024 at 1:33 PM, throwing BBZ said:

What we really needed was a LT and should have drafted LT Christian Darrisaw. 

As for Dayo his tape screamed lazy to me and wasn't on my draft board.  No hustle to chase down players, repeatedly. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 3:58 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Hooker fell on draft day and the Colts brass took the best FS they thought was available.  Too bad we didn't go after Budda Baker instead and still like what Baker's been able to do and remain with the Cardinals. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

If you like more penetration and don't mind older than go with Bill's DL DaQuan Jones who graded out slightly under Stewart's run-defense grade of 69.6 vs 72.8 but wins in pass-rush grades and true pass set pass-rush grades by another 18+ points.  

Top replacement if cap space available would-be hands down DJ Reader (Bengals) who is far superior in all facets over Grover and DaQuan.  Depending on Reader's recovery, Jones would still be a solid backup plan until he retires. 

Issue still would be a trusted backup.  

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, throwing BBZ said:

$12 million is fine for Grover. He’s pretty much the prototype for nose tackles. Commands double teams and helps stop the run. You couldn’t ask for much more. 

TBH I’d much rather have to replace Zach Moss or Julian Blackmon than a guy like Grover. Really good NTs are hard to find.

On 2/6/2024 at 7:56 PM, Defjamz26 said:

$12 million is fine for Grover. He’s pretty much the prototype for nose tackles. Commands double teams and helps stop the run. You couldn’t ask for much more. 

TBH I’d much rather have to replace Zach Moss or Julian Blackmon than a guy like Grover. Really good NTs are hard to find.

Agree. Grover is a keeper. I expect Moss to move on looking for a starting gig. Blackmon shouldn’t break the bank given he’ll be coming back from a major injury. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

Agree. Grover is a keeper. I expect Moss to move on looking for a starting gig. Blackmon shouldn’t break the bank given he’ll be coming back from a major injury. 

Blackmon didn’t have a major injury. They said there was a chance he could be back for the playoffs.  No surgery was needed. 

I find Blackmon a bit more important than Moore.  Blackmon can play SS, FS, and slot.  The secondary had huge drop off in play when Blackmon was out. Much more noticeable than when Lammons subbed for Moore.  I hope Kenny is back too but the Colts need Blackmon plus another vet at safety.