Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts looking for new DL Coach w Nate Ollie Out?

TomDiggs

I definitely found this a bit odd.

Earlier this offseason Zach Hicks hinted that the Colts might make a move to bring in more of a vet presence at DL coach.

Cited names like Todd Wash and Brentson Buckner.

Still a bit surprising since the Colts have been a top-10 sack unit under Ollie's guidance the last two years and finished w the Indy team sack record this past year finishing top-5 in the NFL.

I wonder what they are looking to do differently or what direction they are heading in as a result here.

Will be curious to hear more in the future. 

• Like 1

Just now, TomDiggs said:

As a follow on Cody Felger added this tidbit, which in context also makes some sense:

@Solid84 @shasta519 @Superman were all discussing this very same thing regarding pressure rates not being significant against teams with good or very good OLs while feasting on lesser OLs, a tale of two DLs is what we were showing. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@Solid84 @shasta519 @Superman were all discussing this very same thing regarding pressure rates not being significant against teams with good or very good OLs while feasting on lesser OLs, a tale of two DLs is what we were showing. 

Yep. Unless Ollie parlayed last year into a promotion, it would seem like the FO and coaching staff agreed to an extent.

And if it was that the Colts fired him, watch out for the whiplash from how fast the narrative turns into "well the pass rush wasn't really that good." After so many of Colts Twitter have said it was really good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. Unless Ollie parlayed last year into a promotion, it would seem like the FO and coaching staff agreed to an extent.

And if it was that the Colts fired him, watch out for the whiplash from how fast the narrative turns into "well the pass rush wasn't really that good." After so many of Colts Twitter have said it was really good.

I always find analysis fascinating if only because you can always seemingly find metrics to support whatever narrative you want to tell.

Oh the Colts are top-10 or Top-5 in sacks.

But the Colts are bottom 10 in pressure rate.

But then the Colts are top-10 as a team in PFF pass rush grade

And the Colts finished top-5 in Pass rush win rate. (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38356170/2023-nfl-pass-rush-run-stop-blocking-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams#teams)

At the end of the day, I am all for looking for what is deemed an upgrade. Hell, I was speculative of Sparano Jr when hired and he turned the same OL group we had into a much better group.

So I am hopeful. Especially with some of the talent on that DL that should keep ascending. 

But I am admittedly not certain that Todd Wash is that guy. And for all intents and purposes he will likely at least be the first person linked to the opening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s amazing how the Colts had a lot of sacks this year, but didn’t get a lot of pressure on the whole. So many times we saw quarterbacks just stand in the clean pocket against us. I hate to say it, but I’ve seen some lazy attitudes from Paye and Dayo. Hopefully a new coach will light a fire underneath them and make them accountable. That’s been the problem with our D line for a while.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Mitchell is gone too.

Mike Mitchell needed to go. Glad that's done. If anything, it took five weeks too long...

Overall, I think it's a good thing that they're making some adjustments on the staff. I don't think this coaching staff has been getting it done. But if I were going to single out position groups, DBs and LBs have been the most problematic.

• Like 8

I chalk it up to Shane demanding accountability from players and coaches.  

It could be something else, money, etc., but I’m hoping it’s Shane insisting we do everything possible to succeed.  

I’d love to know how much influence he has on the draft.  

20 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I always find analysis fascinating if only because you can always seemingly find metrics to support whatever narrative you want to tell.

Oh the Colts are top-10 or Top-5 in sacks.

But the Colts are bottom 10 in pressure rate.

But then the Colts are top-10 as a team in PFF pass rush grade

And the Colts finished top-5 in Pass rush win rate. (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38356170/2023-nfl-pass-rush-run-stop-blocking-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams#teams)

At the end of the day, I am all for looking for what is deemed an upgrade. Hell, I was speculative of Sparano Jr when hired and he turned the same OL group we had into a much better group.

So I am hopeful. Especially with some of the talent on that DL that should keep ascending. 

But I am admittedly not certain that Todd Wash is that guy. And for all intents and purposes he will likely at least be the first person linked to the opening. 

They could still be most of those things. It's true that they had 51 sacks, but it's also true that many of them came in a set of games and their pressure/hurry/knockdown rates were low overall.

It could be true that PFF likes them for some reason. I mean they gave Dayo 12 sacks on the season. But not only do they apparently count metrics differently than PFR, they are also grading based on their own criteria.

Regarding ESPN, this one is tougher. ESPN has them in the top 5 for pass rush win rate, but only one ER is even in the top 20 for ERs (and that's Ebukam back at #18). Paye and Dayo aren't even in the top 20.  And then you have DeFo at #5 for IDL. PHI has the #7 and  #14 ERs and the #7 IDL....yet are behind IND somehow. 

If we buy that IND was top 5 in pass rush win rate, then we have to buy that the OL was also #26 in pass block win rate and that CHI was top 5 in pass block win rate or that TEN was #12 in pass block win rate.

Now, just about anybody who follows the NFL wouldn't buy that. And PFF will tell you that the Colts are a top 5 OL and that CHI?TEN are bottom 5. 

But again, the same games that lifted the season sack total could have done the same for PFF's grading by creating bias. So all of those could be true. It's the ESPN stats that don't make much sense.

And if the Colts are firing their DL coach, I have to think they don't buy the ESPN stats either.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I chalk it up to Shane demanding accountability from players and coaches.  

It could be something else, money, etc., but I’m hoping it’s Shane insisting we do everything possible to succeed.  

I’d love to know how much influence he has on the draft.  

Well it is his staff now. I think he gave them a year to evaluate and now he is giving his input, starting with some positional coaching changes. Bradley gets one more year. Then next year, full scale changes if it's not where they want to be.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Since he is the DC I think it would be a safe assumption that he was involved in the discussions and decision.

Since he has to work with the new coaches.

I think it would be a disconnect not to involve Gus

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Regarding ESPN, this one is tougher. ESPN has them in the top 5 for pass rush win rate, but only one ER is even in the top 20 for ERs (and that's Ebukam back at #18). Paye and Dayo aren't even in the top 20.  And then you have DeFo at #5 for IDL. PHI has the #7 and  #14 ERs and the #7 IDL....yet are behind IND somehow. 

That's probably about total pass rush snaps as a team. It's still a subjective stat, though.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So not technically fired. Contracts were not renewed. 

From the story:

In terms of why Ollie wasn't retained, it was entirely a decision made by the team. From what I've learned, the team felt like a fresh voice in their defensive line room was needed. I was told they did not attempt to retain Ollie and let him know they would be going in a different direction. 

Not technically fired, but still fired though...

My poor old eyes saw 4 rushers maintaining their rush lanes keeping QB's contained and getting more than their share of sacks.

Logically, if we mixed coverages like the better defenses do, and blitzed more, we should have considerably more pressures.

But no, we will drop an extra step keeping the ball in front of us, giving up good yardage on runs and screens outside.

Playing va-niiiiil-aaa D.

• Like 3

Rare teams give up on average of 13-15 points per game

Great teams give up on average16-18 points per game

Good teams give up on average19-21 points per game

Mediocre teams give up on average 22-24 points per game

Bad teams give up on average 25 or more points per game

The 2023 Colts gave up an average of 24.4 point per game.

(Mile high view using 'Points Against' which doesn't account for each time the defense was on the sideline and could only watch as Special Teams or the Offense give up points or premium field position).

2023 Top 4 in Points Against: Ravens 16.5, Chiefs 17.3, 49'ers 17.8, Bills 18.2

Moves must be made.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Going to be interesting with Fangio now available. We have many of the pieces for a Fangio Defense… does his availability move the needle on Gus staying?

From all accounts it would seem he is headed for Philly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

From all accounts it would seem he is headed for Philly. 

Most likely. And I’m not advocating or suggesting we should go get him. I’m just wondering if they’re entertaining this notion 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just a guess but since the two guys let go today had contracts expiring Gus was probably renewed. So I would say no.

Yeah - exactly. Guess will see. Glad change is being implemented. 

I think Gus staying had some contingencies based around better accountability towards positional groups. Coincidently enough the groups that had the newest coaches (Oline and Offense) showed the biggest improvement over the year. 

Hoping the new guys that get brought in bring more aggressiveness and better development skills. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Can someone refresh what Mike Mitchell said towards the end of season. Wasn’t there some controversy there? 

Nevermind found it. 

pretty sure this forum said he wouldn’t be here in 2024 after this…

it’s ironic, because that’s indeed what his safeties did this year

• Like 1

4 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

It’s amazing how the Colts had a lot of sacks this year, but didn’t get a lot of pressure on the whole. So many times we saw quarterbacks just stand in the clean pocket against us. I hate to say it, but I’ve seen some lazy attitudes from Paye and Dayo. Hopefully a new coach will light a fire underneath them and make them accountable. That’s been the problem with our D line for a while.

could be ballard needs to get talent on the d-line that can create constant pressure and collapse the pocket, guys who can bull rush and stop blaming the coaches

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Nevermind found it. 

pretty sure this forum said he wouldn’t be here in 2024 after this…

it’s ironic, because that’s indeed what his safeties did this year

I didn't make any predictions, but I thought he should have been let go at the time. 

And the bolded got a small chuckle out of me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Going to be interesting with Fangio now available. We have many of the pieces for a Fangio Defense… does his availability move the needle on Gus staying?

Ballard already committed to Bradley staying.  I doubt he would go back on that now.  I would imagine this is Ballard and Steichen dictating what they want out of the defense to Bradley and letting him make the adjustments he sees fit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't make any predictions, but I thought he should have been let go at the time. 

I was never sure what he was really doing here to begin with. He definitely didn’t seem to fit Ballards culture and he was just an assistant not really a position group coach.  Probably had something to do with offering coaching opportunities to ex players would be my guess 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don’t know why a coach would feel compelled to be on twitter… Nothing good comes from posting on stuff like that. 

“ I don’t even know what to tell my safeties.” 

That’s a problem to admit publicly. How about “don’t lower your shoulder into the helmet of a diving player, like the one that about knocked our best receiver out of the season.” Is that hard to say? Apparently so for Mike, now he’s unemployed. And I would go as far to say no longer employable in the national football league. He broke several unwritten rules there. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

I was never sure what he was really doing here to begin with. He definitely didn’t seem to fit Ballards culture and he was just an assistant not really a position group coach.  Probably had something to do with offering coaching opportunities to ex players would be my guess 

I'm not pretending to know whether an assistant DB coach was qualified for the job, what his role was, whether he was good at it, etc. He actually played for the Colts in 2018, his final year as a player. So Ballard would have been familiar with him, and maybe they had been talking about a coaching position whenever he was ready. I don't have a problem with any of that, especially since he was an assistant position coach.

But I think what he said on Twitter after the hit on Pittman was disqualifying.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t know why a coach would feel compelled to be on twitter… Nothing good comes from posting on stuff like that. 

“ I don’t even know what to tell my safeties.” 

That’s a problem to admit publicly. How about “don’t lower your shoulder into the helmet of a diving player, like the one that about knocked our best receiver out of the season.” Is that hard to say? Apparently so for Mike, now he’s unemployed. And I would go as far to say no longer employable in the national football league. He broke several unwritten rules there. 

I think he'll be on the Steelers staff within a month.

Also, he's probably been on Twitter for years. Like Reggie, who has a presence, engages, etc. Some people are smart on social media, and other people can't help themselves.

• Like 1