Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday reveals some crazy info on his time as HC


Restinpeacesweetchloe

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

 

 

Still love the guy.  And respect him.  It's great to hear a guy who knows the game talk about it.

 

Love what he said about Downs.  He's right, the kid is going to be special as long as he can keep healthy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. I’m glad he let the cat out of the bag. He admitted it was always the plan for him to come in for the 8-9 games, start young players, & go on with his life.

 

 

It’s  genius. It helped us get a franchise QB without looking like we were actively tanking

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Pat on his show has repeatedly talked about how bad Reich let things get by 2022. Players late or completely missing meetings, taking bets, bad practices… 

 

The culture was poisoned. No way around it. 

I think it was a bad idea for Reich to go right back into coaching. He always looked stressed & looked even worse in Carolina.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Wow. I’m glad he let the cat out of the bag. He admitted it was always the plan for him to come in for the 8-9 games, start young players, & go on with his life.

 

 

It’s  genius. It helped us get a franchise QB without looking like we were actively tanking

He was a spy or mole 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Bubba probably should have been the choice over him

No way. The intent was clear from the beginning 

24 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it was a bad idea for Reich to go right back into coaching. He always looked stressed & looked even worse in Carolina.

Yeah but on the other hand it just shut the national media up with the narrative that it was all Irsays fault and that he was wrong to fire Reich. 

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was a spy or mole 

Yep… some of us were saying that very thing the moment it went down…

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Pat on his show has repeatedly talked about how bad Reich let things get by 2022. Players late or completely missing meetings, taking bets, bad practices… 

 

The culture was poisoned. No way around it. 

That is craziness. No wonder we went to crap. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it was a bad idea for Reich to go right back into coaching. He always looked stressed & looked even worse in Carolina.

He would have too many deer in headlights moments. He also seemed way too reluctant in correcting mistakes. 
 

Reminds me of a classroom where the teacher has lost control and the kids are doing whatever they want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The intent was clear from the beginning 

Are you talking about tanking?  We could have lost with any coach last year

 

Bubba had respect in the building and even Jeff consulted him a lot.  I think we lost him to the browns over this and he was good to have

 

Im not sure if we even needed to tank either.  Richardson may have been available later.  Could have also gone with Levis 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

He admitted it was always the plan for him to come in for the 8-9 games, start young players, & go on with his life.

 

Did he say, then, why he interviewed for and seemed excited at the prospect of getting the full time gig?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Are you talking about tanking?  We could have lost with any coach last year

 

Bubba had respect in the building and even Jeff consulted him a lot.  I think we lost him to the browns over this and he was good to have

 

Im not sure if we even needed to tank either.  Richardson may have been available later.  Could have also gone with Levis 

No, I’m talking about being a spy/mole. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, J@son said:

 

Did he say, then, why he interviewed for and seemed excited at the prospect of getting the full time gig?

Sometimes to land your dream job, you gotta take a Hail Mary .

 

and yes, he does say why he wanted the job, go watch it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, J@son said:

 

Did he say, then, why he interviewed for and seemed excited at the prospect of getting the full time gig?

To me, that gave legitimacy to the entire process.  If he hadn’t “competed” for the full time job - he would have looked like some type of corporate “hatchet-man.”  Probably not expressing my thought well, but to me it was part of the entire strategy.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Bubba could have done that, really thought you were talking about tanking there

Perhaps but it was clear that Irsay wanted someone to give him an honest , new opinion and a new set of eyes and ears but yet someone who knew Irsay and what Irsay is about. Only Jeff met that . 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps but it was clear that Irsay wanted someone to give him an honest , new opinion and a new set of eyes and ears but yet someone who knew Irsay and what Irsay is about. Only Jeff met that . 

:) Thanks for expressing what I was trying to get at…much better than I ever could.  :thmup:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Something Jeff said caught my ear.   He said Gus Bradley is a really good DC.  
 

Im sure he didn’t mean it.  Perhaps he mis-spoke?    That couldn’t possibly be true.   
 

On the other hand it was nice to hear Jeff speak so highly of Steichen.  Jeff remains a class act.  We need more people like him.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Something Jeff said caught my ear.   He said Gus Bradley is a really good DC.  
 

Im sure he didn’t mean it.  Perhaps he mis-spoke?    That couldn’t possibly be true.   
 

On the other hand it was nice to hear Jeff speak so highly of Steichen.  Jeff remains a class act.  We need more people like him.  

Huh. Bradley has been above average with so many obstacles this year. And this defense was good last year until things fell apart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Something Jeff said caught my ear.   He said Gus Bradley is a really good DC.  
 

Im sure he didn’t mean it.  Perhaps he mis-spoke?    That couldn’t possibly be true.   
 

On the other hand it was nice to hear Jeff speak so highly of Steichen.  Jeff remains a class act.  We need more people like him.  

Did you get the feeling he was catching himself a few times? Like he wanted to divulge a bit more and then pulled back? 
 

I’m not a big Bradley fan as most know, but it’s more about his scheme that he and Ballard put together. But I do know he’s a very good teacher and the players think highly of him. 
 

I keep seeing so many ex coaches and players who still support the Colts even after their time is over. I really think it means something that Coach Pagano and now Coach Saturday (he’s earned the title) continue to follow the team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Huh. Bradley has been above average with so many obstacles this year. And this defense was good last year until things fell apart.


My comment was about the overwhelming view in this website that Gus Bradley is terrible.  It’s not a view I share, but the view is very real

 

Are you telling me you are unaware of that view here in our community?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


My comment was about the overwhelming view in this website that Gus Bradley is terrible.  It’s not a view I share, but the view is very real

 

Are you telling me you are unaware of that view here in our community?    

Gotcha. You said Saturday was being nice about saying Bradley was a  good coach. I see now you were being sarcastic about the view of him. Maybe I misunderstood you. Maybe Saturdays observation of Bradley helped him keep his job.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Did you get the feeling he was catching himself a few times? Like he wanted to divulge a bit more and then pulled back? 
 

I’m not a big Bradley fan as most know, but it’s more about his scheme that he and Ballard put together. But I do know he’s a very good teacher and the players think highly of him. 
 

I keep seeing so many ex coaches and players who still support the Colts even after their time is over. I really think it means something that Coach Pagano and now Coach Saturday (he’s earned the title) continue to follow the team. 



Im not a big Bradley fan either.   I won’t be disappointed if the Colts move on from him at the end of the year.  
 

I just tire of the endless pounding of Bradley.   It might be THE most prevalent community viewpoint, IMO.   And if you’re in the community chat room on game day you’d think Gus Bradley is the answer to every negative issue.  
 

Once the community doesn’t like someone, it’s hard to change perception.  It’s an issue in our community I quickly discovered when I first joined here 12+ years ago.   
 

As for Saturday pulling punches….  Yes, somewhat.  Good catch.  But I think he wanted to withhold some things but also was wondering how much time he had left to tell some stories.   Jeff was the focal point of the panel and he seemed like he didn’t want to completely dominate the time. 
 

Interesting video. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Gotcha. You said Saturday was being nice about saying Bradley was a  good coach. I see now you were being sarcastic about the view of him. Maybe I misunderstood you. Maybe Saturdays observation of Bradley helped him keep his job.


Sorry I wasn’t more clear.  My bad.  Yes, I was being sarcastic.   I need to be more careful when I do that.   
 

It’s possible a good word from Jeff helped Gus.  Certainly didn’t hurt.  Still, Ballard is a fan of Gus.  I expected him back this season.   For me, the bigger question is will Gus be back next year in 24?  Steichen will obviously have strong input.    
 

Whether Gus is back will be one of the most interesting questions this off-season.  I expect it to come very quickly.  Perhaps within a week. 
 

Again, sorry I wasn’t more clear in my previous post. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Wow. I’m glad he let the cat out of the bag. He admitted it was always the plan for him to come in for the 8-9 games, start young players, & go on with his life.

 

 

It’s  genius. It helped us get a franchise QB without looking like we were actively tanking


I called it when Saturday first got brought on.  Saturday was just an evaluator of the org and players.  He was just there to report back to the boss and let him know what needed to be fixed.  Sort of like a consultant.  Saturday was someone Irsay respected and trusted that he wouldn’t lie to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps but it was clear that Irsay wanted someone to give him an honest , new opinion and a new set of eyes and ears but yet someone who knew Irsay and what Irsay is about. Only Jeff met that . 

Oh I have heard that one too, still think it should have been Bubba

14 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Nope.  An “outsider” had to be brought in.

Nah still should have been Bubba, that really wasnt a great reason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Oh I have heard that one too, still think it should have been Bubba

Nah still should have been Bubba, that really wasnt a great reason

 

I like Bubba. But he was part of the regime. You can't accept a report on the regime from a person who is part of the regime.

 

If the goal was to win a few more games, Bubba would have been the right choice. If the goal was to triage the whole organization, it had to be an outsider. It had to be an outsider who was trusted. That is a very small group to choose from.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...