Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does SS move on from Bradley this offseason?

twfish

Does SS move on from Bradley this offseason?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is Bradley fired after this season?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, WERC82 said:

You can't play Dungy ball constantly in today's league. The athlete's are too good. Particularly the dual threat QB's. Bradley doesn't take enough chances at blitzing. Like Reich, he doesn't seem to take advantage of momentum or a hot hand. Also like Reich, he wants players to adapt to his system rather than tweaking his system to adapt to the players. For Pete's sake, he thinks he can consistently get pressure rushing only four even without his strongest lineman, Grover. Made no adjustments to compensate for that missing piece. Forcing turnovers and making momentum changing plays come from taking chances, doing something different, unexpected. He's as predictable as Reich was. It put his players at a disadvantage. He has to go.

Those are my problems right now, as he thinks he can replace a player in his system and not make any adjustments. Which to be fair when everyone is healthy and playing his system does work, but you add one or two injuries it falls apart because he doesn't make adjustments. Which I think is funny because Steichen is all about using your players strengths and adjusting his scheme so that players are used in the best possible way and that is the exact opposite of what Bradley does.

I mean we are the worst defense in the league and have the lowest blitz rate, maybe increase that rate a bit and see what happens. We don't have to be the vikings that blitz over 50% but maybe go from 17.7% to 22%, just do something to try and fix the defense instead of playing musical chairs at one of the CB positions and not altering anything.

14 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying (Its a low bar :) )

IMHO To get to a top 5 offense...... this team, needs to get a speedy Alpha WR (AND health)

IMHO To get to a top 10 defense (Good enough to win.... IF you ALSO have a top 5 offense)

We need pass rush/ playmaking FS/ viable CB

We have an excellent CB today that should continue to grow in Brents (When healthy)

This defense requires another  CB that can keep the action in front of them AND can tackle.......

These can be had in round 2 or 3

We currently have the 6th ranked offense so to me a WR is still a luxury. Granted you never pass up a blue chip prospect like a MHJ, but comparing equal players in all categories a receiver is much lower on the list of needs personally.

14 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Those are my problems right now, as he thinks he can replace a player in his system and not make any adjustments. Which to be fair when everyone is healthy and playing his system does work, but you add one or two injuries it falls apart because he doesn't make adjustments. Which I think is funny because Steichen is all about using your players strengths and adjusting his scheme so that players are used in the best possible way and that is the exact opposite of what Bradley does.

I mean we are the worst defense in the league and have the lowest blitz rate, maybe increase that rate a bit and see what happens. We don't have to be the vikings that blitz over 50% but maybe go from 17.7% to 22%, just do something to try and fix the defense instead of playing musical chairs at one of the CB positions and not altering anything.

We have the 7th fastest average time to create pressure in the entire league @ 2.40 seconds.  So far not getting many sacks or hits.  That might change as we enter the easiest part of our schedule though.  It’s a long season so there is a chance our team and players individual statistics start to improve as we go forward.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 3:48 PM, Solid84 said:

While blitzing isn't the magic pill by itself, there's merit to it when your secondary is questionable.

When you blitz and Carr still has time to throw deep pass that's hardly a successful blitz and probably shouldn't be used as a defacto reason not to do it.

Our secondary is trash because of injuries and if we don't bring pressure QBs will have a field day picking apart our secondary.

We have the lowest blitz rate in the league and the defense has given up the most points. Of course, low blitz rate in itself is not the cause of us giving up so many points, but low blitz rate and a craptastic secondary?...

Ballard's LB's can't cover, his corners can't cover, he hasn't drafted/developed a single rush DE. And we could easily dump both of our safeties.

Where are we at TE and WR?

The question is, will Irsay acknowledge the mediocrity and decide to move on to a SB path. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ballard's LB's can't cover, his corners can't cover, he hasn't drafted/developed a single rush DE. And we could easily dump both of our safeties.

Where are we at TE and WR?

The question is, will Irsay acknowledge the mediocrity and decide to move on to a SB path. 

I hope Irsay lights a fire under Ballard. He needs to understand the team as a whole isn't good enough after 8 years of building.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I hope Irsay lights a fire under Ballard. He needs to understand the team as a whole isn't good enough after 8 years of building.

You think Ballard doesn’t know his team isn’t very good?   Goodness.  

First, this year is by design, as I’ve been stating almost this entire calendar year.  

Second, I’ll predict the team takes a more aggressive approach next year.   Maybe not a lot more, but certainly more aggressive than this year and maybe even most years. 

And I’d add, I think Ballard knows he’s got no more than two more years (24, 25) to produce a much better team.   I believe Ballard knows he’s sitting on a very hot seat.   Irsay may love him, but if Irsay can impulsively fire Frank as he did, he can do the same with Ballard too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Ballard doesn’t know his team isn’t very good?   Goodness.  

First, this year is by design, as I’ve been stating almost this entire calendar year.  

Second, I’ll predict the team takes a more aggressive approach next year.   Maybe not a lot more, but certainly more aggressive than this year and maybe even most years. 

And I’d add, I think Ballard knows he’s got no more than two more years (24, 25) to produce a much better team.   I believe Ballard knows he’s sitting on a very hot seat.   Irsay may love him, but if Irsay can impulsively fire Frank as he did, he can do the same with Ballard too.

I ment Irsay needed to let Ballard know and make sure he understands the leash is short. Ballard knowing and Irsay telling is two different things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I ment Irsay needed to let Ballard know and make sure he understands the leash is short. Ballard knowing and Irsay telling is two different things.

It’s a needless threat.  It doesn’t help matters.   It’s something fans may want, but I seriously doubt Irsay would do it.    Ballard knows full well he could be fired at any time.   His seat is hot.   If Irsay can fire Frank as he did, he can do the same to Ballard and Ballard knows it.  

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s a needless threat.  It doesn’t help matters.   It’s something fans may want, but I seriously doubt Irsay would do it.    Ballard knows full well he could be fired at any time.   His seat is hot.   If Irsay can fire Frank as he did, he can do the same to Ballard and Ballard knows it.  

That’s fine, your opinion. I’d still like for Isay to put him on notice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Well I mean we rank 6th for points per game, so while the offense has some needs that's not the problem, its that the defense is last in opponents ppg. Which I'm starting to think is a scheme problem more than a personnel problem, because Steichen took the 2nd to last scoring offense and made them 6th in one year. That's the benefit of coaching, every team as a certain level of talent so when you are bottom of the league it makes me think there is more of a coaching problem than actual talent problem (not saying that there are no holes).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Well I mean we rank 6th for points per game, so while the offense has some needs that's not the problem, its that the defense is last in opponents ppg. Which I'm starting to think is a scheme problem more than a personnel problem, because Steichen took the 2nd to last scoring offense and made them 6th in one year. That's the benefit of coaching, every team as a certain level of talent so when you are bottom of the league it makes me think there is more of a coaching problem than actual talent problem (not saying that there are no holes).

I don’t think it’s scheme so much as playing rookies in the secondary against some very strong opponents.  There is a learning curve especially when we are a primarily zone team.  When a team plays mostly man coverage good rookie press corners can be more effective faster imo.   Learning the intricacies of zone is more difficult.

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

I don’t think it’s scheme so much as playing rookies in the secondary against some very strong opponents.  There is a learning curve especially when we are a primarily zone team.  When a team plays mostly man coverage good rookie press corners can be more effective faster imo.   Learning the intricacies of zone is more difficult.

But for as many years as Bradley has been here, the defense has pretty much looked the same

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I’m not saying we can’t look better next season. AR back and a gazillions CBs back. That’s bound to improve the team. I’m also pretty sure Ballard is safe at least next season because of AR. But, after 8 seasons this team needs to start being better than average or an outsider for the 7th seat. I’m pretty sure most fans would agree to that and I think Irsay does too. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

But for as many years as Bradley has been here, the defense has pretty much looked the same

This is Bradley's 2nd season with the Colts. For how much Eberflus annoyed us, to me it looks like Bradley calls a worse version of Eberflus' defense and lets his players have less freedom within it. 

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

While I do understand the lack of experience on the outside and was actually vocal with the same defense on the forum. I just see a lack of flexibility from Bradley of adjusting like we have problems covering at LB and one CB spot lets maybe use more 3 Safety formations because Cross is just sitting and knows the safety and Nickel position. If we are worried about outside coverage maybe use the blitz more (instead of last in the league) to rush the QBs decision making and help the CB position because they don't have to cover for long. Yet we really haven't done any of this, which is where I say Bradley's scheme is an issue because he won't adjust, when like last year everyone is healthy his scheme works but when injuries happen it seems to fall apart, because he can't adjust.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Yup and when Gilmore was there last year it was a whole lot better.  Experience can be a big difference maker imo.  Rookies have a lot to learn.

I was not really impressed last year either.

The play that sticks in my head, (that was indicative of Bradley's entire season), was the final TD pass by Houston to end our year...

I believe it was 4th down? Our lack of pass rush, allows the Texans QB to buy enough time, to throw up a long, desperation pass... Rodney Thomas II miss-times his jump, the ball goes just over his outstretched arms, right into the Houston receivers hands for the game winning TD. Game over.

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

That’s fine, your opinion. I’d still like for Isay to put him on notice. 

I think that could be counterproductive. Not that Ballard would do this, but I don't want a GM making desperation moves to try to save his job. 

I think Ballard and Irsay have had the serious, bottom line conversations that were needed over the last couple of years. While I'm not sure that Ballard will ever be aggressive enough, and he might even have some blind spots in his roster building, I think the main reason he's still here is because the QB strategy since 2020 was influenced by Reich more than anyone else. So Irsay gave Ballard the reset button for 2023 and stepped back out of the way. And now we'll see what happens moving forward. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think that could be counterproductive. Not that Ballard would do this, but I don't want a GM making desperation moves to try to save his job. 

I think Ballard and Irsay have had the serious, bottom line conversations that were needed over the last couple of years. While I'm not sure that Ballard will ever be aggressive enough, and he might even have some blind spots in his roster building, I think the main reason he's still here is because the QB strategy since 2020 was influenced by Reich more than anyone else. So Irsay gave Ballard the reset button for 2023 and stepped back out of the way. And now we'll see what happens moving forward. 

That’s possible, but I don’t think Ballard would make a desperate move to save his job. If that had been the case he’d probably been the one to move up to #1 this draft. 

I do agree he’s still here because of the QB strategy since 2020. I think he’s had enough chances, though. Even if you look past the QB situation I don’t think this team is any better overall than when he got here. No matter how this season turns out (and possible next season too) I think he’s safe because of AR. 

19 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

That’s possible, but I don’t think Ballard would make a desperate move to save his job. If that had been the case he’d probably been the one to move up to #1 this draft. 

I do agree he’s still here because of the QB strategy since 2020. I think he’s had enough chances, though. Even if you look past the QB situation I don’t think this team is any better overall than when he got here. No matter how this season turns out (and possible next season too) I think he’s safe because of AR. 

I think we've had talent come and go in waves. And even some of the guys who are still here have been battling injuries the last couple seasons, or have been limited by circumstances. Just looking at today's roster as a snapshot doesn't really give the complete picture. It was probably 2019 and 2020 when the roster was at its best, except for the QB. 

Just saying I think there's some nuance to consider. But more importantly, constantly talking about how Ballard is seven years in seems to exclude what's obvious, which is that the Colts decided to use 2023 as a reset. I don't think that means Ballard has a long leash, but he's also probably not on the hot seat right now. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think we've had talent come and go in waves. And even some of the guys who are still here have been battling injuries the last couple seasons, or have been limited by circumstances. Just looking at today's roster as a snapshot doesn't really give the complete picture. It was probably 2019 and 2020 when the roster was at its best, except for the QB. 

Just saying I think there's some nuance to consider. But more importantly, constantly talking about how Ballard is seven years in seems to exclude what's obvious, which is that the Colts decided to use 2023 as a reset. I don't think that means Ballard has a long leash, but he's also probably not on the hot seat right now. 

2020 is probably the best this team has been in the Ballard era and we only got into the playoffs because the NFL expanded the playoffs to include 7 teams. Even then we were one and done. 

Every time there’s been something positive to build on we’ve regressed instead of improving. 

I don’t buy the injury angle short off it being to the the elite franchise QB. Every team deals with injuries and the good ones find ways to win anyway. 

And lastly, I don’t think this is a reset. It’s an evaluation year and there may be a little movement this coming offseason, but if it was truly a reset we’d have been sellers this offseason and before the deadline. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It was Ballard’s call. We got our hopes up to get it squashed. It’s very hard to win 3 or 4 in a row in December when teams are desperate. It’s safe to say we’ve become a better home team and lousier road team as the season has gone on.

If Steichen could turn some offensive numbers around essentially with 1 Josh Downs added, I’m sure another DC other than Bradley will bring something better situationally with an addition or two to our squad. 

Bradley was Ballard’s call, moving forward I hope it’s Steichen’s call.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

…Steichen was Ballard’s call too. 

I think they have to work in unison with one another. No GM is not going to just let a head coach pick whoever and say “change the whole vision that we agreed to last year when you hired me.” Shane might really like Gus and think it’s the best way to win going forward. He could take more responsibility in his rookie year for the shortcomings of the team, instead of letting Bradley take the brunt of the blame. Offense and defense has to complement one another. They may want to get aggressive with personnel in the offseason and roll it back to see how a few big tweaks, and a healthy AR changes things. 

I feel like Irsay is going to put pressure on Ballard this offseason to get aggressive. And I think he will. Perhaps changing up some defensive coaching personnel and ideology will be part of it. 

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I feel like Irsay is going to put pressure on Ballard this offseason to get aggressive. And I think he will. Perhaps changing up some defensive coaching personnel and ideology will be part of it. 

Not sure if you have heard the saying “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”. 

Wink Martindale used to coach the Ravens and Joe Burrow used to light them up, cracking 40 plus points twice.

In comes Mike McDonald from Michigan, given great reviews for his ideas by Jim Harbaugh. John Harbaugh hires him and they’re a drastically different team mixing coverage so well that Joe Burrow hasn’t gotten over 27 in 4 games against his D and is 0-2 this year, even when he’s rushing 4 but varying his drops so well.

Yes, a change in coaching along with change in ideaology is better than just changing ideology and when push comes to shove, it reverts back to old tendencies. Just my opinion that I strongly feel about.

If the change is well thought through, it’s definitely worth it if you go all in.

• Like 2

I certainly hope so. I’m sick and tired of us playing 10 yards off on a 5 yard play for a first down. Atlanta played well man on man and shut us down. The lack of a pass rush and players not in place made this a long day. His strategies are way too outdated for today’s football.

• Like 5

Will replacing Bradley make much of a difference? Will his replacement be more of the same but with a different name and face? 

When was the last time this team had a tough aggressive, talented  defense and scheme? 

He may be fired as a scapegoat but don't hold your breath his replacement will be much different than him or Eberfus or Dungy without a.Freeney, Mathis, Bob Sanders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Steichen and Siriani were with Gus in San Diego.  During the offseason, Siriani was on the radio saying how much he and Steichen respected and looked up to Gus.

On 11/4/2023 at 5:30 PM, Solid84 said:

I’m not saying we can’t look better next season. AR back and a gazillions CBs back. That’s bound to improve the team. I’m also pretty sure Ballard is safe at least next season because of AR. But, after 8 seasons this team needs to start being better than average or an outsider for the 7th seat. I’m pretty sure most fans would agree to that and I think Irsay does too. 

Maybe not to the Bolded. 

Some of those early Indy fans remember the consistent losing and dysfunction and welcome with open arms mediocrity and contending for the 7th seat. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Maybe not to the Bolded. 

Some of those early Indy fans remember the consistent losing and dysfunction and welcome with open arms mediocrity and contending for the 7th seat. 

That's fine, but the goal of any GM and his staff is to get their team in the playoffs. If they don't do that owners move on and another GM + staff gets a shot. And sure, a franchise can be unlucky and string together a series of bad or unsuccessful GMs, but very few owners just lean back and let one GM have at it indefinitely. At some point a new outlook is needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

That's fine, but the goal of any GM and his staff is to get their team in the playoffs. If they don't do that owners move on and another GM + staff gets a shot. And sure, a franchise can be unlucky and string together a series of bad or unsuccessful GMs, but very few owners just lean back and let one GM have at it indefinitely. At some point a new outlook is needed.

Shane had a bad game too. Atlanta made corrections in the second half we didn’t change anything and it was obvious

I mean for heaven sakes if Taylor can’t get yards. Try using  Sermon and Goodman earlier in the game

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree or at least that's what the GOAL for the GM & OWNER SHOULD BE but when we look across the landscape of the NFL there are a number of Franchises that don't seem to have that goal. 

But back to colt fans, I think a good number of them are ok with being mediocre compared to possibly going back to winning just a couple games a season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Not sure if you have heard the saying “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”. 

Wink Martindale used to coach the Ravens and Joe Burrow used to light them up, cracking 40 plus points twice.

In comes Mike McDonald from Michigan, given great reviews for his ideas by Jim Harbaugh. John Harbaugh hires him and they’re a drastically different team mixing coverage so well that Joe Burrow hasn’t gotten over 27 in 4 games against his D and is 0-2 this year, even when he’s rushing 4 but varying his drops so well.

Yes, a change in coaching along with change in ideaology is better than just changing ideology and when push comes to shove, it reverts back to old tendencies. Just my opinion that I strongly feel about.

If the change is well thought through, it’s definitely worth it if you go all in.

You are just limited in what you can switch to successfully overnight. It has to be a similar base defense with the personnel. 

To me, it’s similar to switching gm/hc. It may sound good in theory, until the next guy is worse… 

9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You are just limited in what you can switch to successfully overnight. It has to be a similar base defense with the personnel. 

To me, it’s similar to switching gm/hc. It may sound good in theory, until the next guy is worse… 

Yes but someone who can (say) bring heat in the A gaps after another man CB drafted and some good blitzing/coverage LB drafted could still not be used the same by 2 DCs within the same base scheme. I’m not advocating a change to 3-4 whatsoever but more pressure packages with zone blitzes playing 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 fronts from time to time 

The Chiefs had good man CBs drafted but Bob Sutton wasn’t bringing heat and after several years of his D, Andy Reid went with Spags who brought heat to affect pressure with essentially the same personnel and then got more personnel that fit over time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Yes but someone who can (say) bring heat in the A gaps after another man CB drafted and some good blitzing/coverage LB drafted could still not be used the same by 2 DCs within the same base scheme. I’m not advocating a change to 3-4 whatsoever but more pressure packages with zone blitzes playing 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 fronts from time to time 

The Chiefs had good man CBs drafted but Bob Sutton wasn’t bringing heat and after several years of his D, Andy Reid went with Spags who brought heat to affect pressure with essentially the same personnel and then got more personnel that fit over time.

Most teams play both. They switch up coverages. Bradley just doesn’t disguise anything and just does nothing.

• Like 1