Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 NFL draft order

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

As of October 29th, the Colts are picking 7th. I expect that be in thr top 5 after next week lol. Suggestions as to who they pick???

If Harrison Jr. is there, I think we need to take him. Give Richardson his star WR like the Bengals gave Burrow Chase. 

But, if Harrison is gone by the time we pick, I'd go with the top defensive end. We need a game wrecking, mauling rusher. 

• Like 2

I dont think it would happen if Bradley is the DC but at this point Kool-aid. Have him lock down one side with Brent's on the other. Have Jones and Flowers as backup and on special teams. 

We would also be in Jared Verse striking range.

At 15 you take the best of WR; CB; pass rushing DE. All are needs. Hard to put one above the other at this point. You’d hope one of these would be filled via a top tier free agent but our GM’s history suggests that’s not happening. 

17 hours ago, chad72 said:

Pass offense or pass defense, pretty simple for first 2 rounds. Then go trenches with best DT available or double down on WR on Day 2.

Would you agree that a true pass rushing threat would be a huge help to the secondary? They go together to make a difference making D. The Colts don’t have that DE on the roster yet IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Would you agree that a true pass rushing threat would be a huge help to the secondary? They go together to make a difference making D. The Colts don’t have that DE on the roster yet IMO. 

True on the pass rushers helping the secondary out, 100%.

However, what makes you confident though that Ballard, with picks of Turay, Banogu, Tyquan Lewis, Paye, Dayo in history will get an elite one with a potential pick in the teens? Plus, those elite ones go Top 10. If Ballard won't trade up for a QB, the most marquee position in the NFL right now, sitting at No.4, he sure won't trade up for a WR or pass rusher, you can bet. Also, he is betting on Paye and Dayo to develop more before spending more picks on pass rushers, IMO.

That is why WR/CB make the most sense to me.

On 11/6/2023 at 4:22 PM, Hoose said:

At 15 you take the best of WR; CB; pass rushing DE. All are needs. Hard to put one above the other at this point. You’d hope one of these would be filled via a top tier free agent but our GM’s history suggests that’s not happening. 

I've got about 5 players on my 1st round watch list, and the lowest one could be gone by 13.  I'm a little concerned we might miss out on a guy we want.  I'm leaning against waiting my turn, and possibly trading up to get one of my guys.

Tankathon Ranking

1 - Caleb Williams ,QB, USC

2 - Marvin Harrison Jr, WR, Ohio St  *WATCH LIST*

3 - Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn St

4 - Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

5 - Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame  *WATCH LIST*

6 - Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

7 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama  *WATCH LIST*

8 - Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA  *WATCH LIST*

9 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

10 - Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida St

11 - Keon Coleman, WR, Florida St

12 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama

13 - Malik Nabers, WR, LSU  *WATCH LIST*

14 - Jer'Zhan Newton, DL, Illinois

15 - Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

However, what makes you confident though that Ballard, with picks of Turay, Banogu, Tyquan Lewis, Paye, Dayo in history will get an elite one with a potential pick in the teens? Plus, those elite ones go Top 10. If Ballard won't trade up for a QB, the most marquee position in the NFL right now, sitting at No.4, he sure won't trade up for a WR or pass rusher, you can bet. Also, he is betting on Paye and Dayo to develop more before spending more picks on pass rushers, IMO.

I do get Ballard sticking with his guys and not giving up the hope that they develop. I’m just skeptical that Kwity and Dayo will ever be anything more than average to decent. This has been Ballard’s biggest failure IMO; the Colts still badly need a pass rush after all those draft picks. 

That said, you won’t find me complaining if the first pick next year is a WR or CB. Those are the two other glaring needs on the team, and the best pass rushing DEs will likely be gone when the Colts pick. 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I've got about 5 players on my 1st round watch list, and the lowest one could be gone by 13.  I'm a little concerned we might miss out on a guy we want.  I'm leaning against waiting my turn, and possibly trading up to get one of my guys.

Tankathon Ranking

1 - Caleb Williams ,QB, USC

2 - Marvin Harrison Jr, WR, Ohio St  *WATCH LIST*

3 - Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn St

4 - Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

5 - Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame  *WATCH LIST*

6 - Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

7 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama  *WATCH LIST*

8 - Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA  *WATCH LIST*

9 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

10 - Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida St

11 - Keon Coleman, WR, Florida St

12 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama

13 - Malik Nabers, WR, LSU  *WATCH LIST*

14 - Jer'Zhan Newton, DL, Illinois

15 - Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

I like the Nabers kid from LSU. He has a decent chance to be there when the Colts pick. 

• Like 3

On 11/6/2023 at 3:14 PM, Defjamz26 said:

We’re slated at 15 according to Tankathon

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

6 out of 8 of our last opponents are under .500 as well.

WR or Brock Bowers should be the pick. Pass on corner for now.

There should be some excellent WRs and CBs available at pick 12-18

I would be happy with either

10 hours ago, Hoose said:

I do get Ballard sticking with his guys and not giving up the hope that they develop. I’m just skeptical that Kwity and Dayo will ever be anything more than average to decent. This has been Ballard’s biggest failure IMO; the Colts still badly need a pass rush after all those draft picks. 

That said, you won’t find me complaining if the first pick next year is a WR or CB. Those are the two other glaring needs on the team, and the best pass rushing DEs will likely be gone when the Colts pick. 

I would agree.

I would consider a FA DE, next year

The most expensive players are typically 

QB, DE, LT, CB

We have (Or will have) 3 of the 4 on rookie contracts

This may be the year to make ONE splashy FA pick, (DE) while we can still afford to 

There are some DEs in this draft, that MIGHT be the player we need, but there seem to be MUCH more blue chip players at mid round 1 for CB and WR

We cant reach on this ......

12 hours ago, Hoose said:

I like the Nabers kid from LSU. He has a decent chance to be there when the Colts pick. 

Yes, I do think that is what I expect Ballard to do as well, now that he has his QB. He hadn't drafted a QB in Round 1 before, he did in 2023 draft. He hasn't drafted a WR in Round 1 before, with AP not developing as fast, he probably pulls the trigger this time, in a very deep WR draft.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:58 AM, chad72 said:

Yes, I do think that is what I expect Ballard to do as well, now that he has his QB. He hadn't drafted a QB in Round 1 before, he did in 2023 draft. He hasn't drafted a WR in Round 1 before, with AP not developing as fast, he probably pulls the trigger this time, in a very deep WR draft.

With the reports that the Colts were asking for Waddle and Watson in alleged trade talks with the Dolphins and Packers, it seems that Ballard is also not satisfied with the receivers either. I think he pulls the trigger. This WR class is loaded.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 9:24 AM, KB said:

I dont think it would happen if Bradley is the DC but at this point Kool-aid. Have him lock down one side with Brent's on the other. Have Jones and Flowers as backup and on special teams. 

We would also be in Jared Verse striking range.

Jones has been decent recently.   Not sure his role is a backup. 

On 11/7/2023 at 11:26 AM, chad72 said:

He's never picked a CB in the first round.   He doesn't value them that way.