Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we try to win in 2024?

RunTheBall

This was a development year.  We were going to let rookies and schemes develop.  My question is with AR's injury history and Minshew, do we punt on next year too, or do we try to sign players to go as far as possible?  The offensive line is good again, and Raimann and Freeland look like keepers.  Tayor, Downs, and Pittman give us some punch.  Do we try to sign some secondary players and a wr, and go as far as we can, or do we put the brakes on and just develop another year of rookies?  I say give Steichen some defensive toys and go for it.

16 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

This was a development year.  We were going to let rookies and schemes develop.  My question is with AR's injury history and Minshew, do we punt on next year too, or do we try to sign players to go as far as possible?  The offensive line is good again, and Raimann and Freeland look like keepers.  Tayor, Downs, and Pittman give us some punch.  Do we try to sign some secondary players and a wr, and go as far as we can, or do we put the brakes on and just develop another year of rookies?  I say give Steichen some defensive toys and go for it.

Let's tank every season until 2030. 

22 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Do you really think the colts would “punt” next year? No way. They will try to win just like this season. Bad thing is it will be like AR is still a rookie.

We had obvious holes at DB before the injuries.  The defense was no way near ready to compete for AFC South.  I think we rolled with youth knowing we were going to take some lumps.  I think with Steichen and the OL, we have enough juice to try to go as far as possible in 2024, instead of sitting back and letting draft picks and undrafted FA fight it out to fix the holes.

The AR injury just really ruined the year and potentially next year.  This was meant to be an education year and if we win great, but more about building up Richardson.  Saw some good stuff early on but now have to wait until next season.  Disappointing.  Steichen clearly knows ball.  The silver lining is despite how raw he was, Richardson showed some real promise.  So now even longer off-season to work.  Could see greater gains.  

The defense is trash though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nate! said:

The AR injury just really ruined the year and potentially next year.  This was meant to be an education year and if we win great, but more about building up Richardson.  Saw some good stuff early on but now have to wait until next season.  Disappointing.  Steichen clearly knows ball.  The silver lining is despite how raw he was, Richardson showed some real promise.  So now even longer off-season to work.  Could see greater gains.  

The defense is trash though.

It may have ruined this year but regarding next year, I don't see it. 

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U know what the sad thing is? I don't think we will have to try hard to tank. We can actually make it look legit with the talent on this team lol.

Well I would hope (or think) Ballard would be long gone by then, so hopefully that's not the case.  Although he is the "Teflon" GM like you said.  How many years did the "Teflon Don" get by before it was finally his day of reckoning? 

I’m sorry to say this but Richardson showed me no promise. He can’t take a hit. I don’t want to hear anything about freak accidents. He didn’t finish a game with getting injured. Now if we only win 3 game this season you have to think about drafting another QB. I’m going to be the one to say it. Doesn’t matter what he can be. As it stands he can’t stay healthy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Do you really think the colts would “punt” next year? No way. They will try to win just like this season. Bad thing is it will be like AR is still a rookie.

I am probably in the minority but I don’t think this injury will stop AR from developing or having to repeat a rookie year.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Well I would hope (or think) Ballard would be long gone by then, so hopefully that's not the case.  Although he is the "Teflon" GM like you said.  How many years did the "Teflon Don" get by before it was finally his day of reckoning? 

Yeah but at least he built an empire. 

11 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I’m sorry to say this but Richardson showed me no promise. He can’t take a hit. I don’t want to hear anything about freak accidents. He didn’t finish a game with getting injured. Now if we only win 3 game this season you have to think about drafting another QB. I’m going to be the one to say it. Doesn’t matter what he can be. As it stands he can’t stay healthy. 

While I disagree about AR(I hated the pick. I wanted to trade back and reload in a better draft class in 2024) I do agree, if we have a top 3 pick, in a stronger QB class, I think you have to seriously consider it

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Really lol. How did  all that injuries  his first season hurt Matt Stafford.  He finished the jags first game. It was over and we only had two more snaps.

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wanted levis. Man he looked good today too.

Great so now you all using hind sight because of his one game today.  Some of you are really forgetting how good Richardson was.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Really lol. How did  all that injuries  his first season hurt Matt Stafford.  He finished the jags first game. It was over and we only had two more snaps.

Stafford could throw and didn’t need to work on it. AR will need to reset next season. But Levis took a hit and got back up. All this these other rookie QB’s have taken hits and got back up except ours. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

While I disagree about AR(I hated the pick. I wanted to trade back and reload in a better draft class in 2024) I do agree, if we have a top 3 pick, in a stronger QB class, I think you have to seriously consider it

That will never happen.  The Colts have their QB.  If AR isn't the guy, they're at least going to let him SHOW that he isn't the guy, or that he's too injury prone  to be the main guy.  Neither of those are true right now.  Also, what do you think that would do to the team morale to draft a QB in the 1st round next year? All it would do is cause a lot of locker room problems.  

On a side note, I would never want Caleb Williams on my team, even if he turns out to be good.  He's a diva that has repeatedly said he will refuse to play on certain teams.  He also said he wants partial ownership of whatever team that drafts him. That's how good he thinks he is, when he hasn't even played an NFL down. What an entitled mentality for a guy who hasn't done jack s---- in the NFL.  His latest diva moment was when someone compared him to Mahomes and he basically took it as an insult because in his mind he will be much better.  No thanks.  AR has 100x the character and humility as that diva.  

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Hey I would’ve been for rolling back. Fixed the defense and made that our strength. Then in 2024 fix the offense 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Great so now you all using hind sight because of his one game today.  Some of you are really forgetting how good Richardson was.

I swear. One game by Levis and let's give the guy ROY, MVP, and crown him the next Tom Brady.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

That will never happen.  The Colts have their QB.  If AR isn't the guy, they're at least going to let him SHOW that he isn't the guy, or that he's too injury prone  to be the main guy.  Neither of those are true right now.  Also, what do you think that would do to the team morale to draft a QB in the 1st round next year? All it would do is cause a lot of locker room problems.  

On a side note, I would never want Caleb Williams on my team, even if he turns out to be good.  He's a diva that has repeatedly said he will refuse to play on certain teams.  He also said he wants partial ownership of whatever team that drafts him. That's how good he thinks he is, when he hasn't even played an NFL down. What an entitled mentality for a guy who hasn't done jack s---- in the NFL.  His latest diva moment was when someone compared him to Mahomes and he basically took it as an insult because in his mind he will be much better.  No thanks.  AR has 100x the character and humility as that diva.  

One thing we do know is he can’t take a hit. Doesn’t matter what the team thinks. If we finish 3-14 again the roster will be blown up like it should’ve been last season. 

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t believe AR has had a game close to being as good as what levis had today. Imo we should have went for the more nfl ready pocket passer qb.

AR needs to be groomed like a pass first guy to read the coverages and run only when necessary when his rehab is done. That way he can surprise like Jalen Hurts in Year 2.

But for the love of God, let’s get him some offensive help and serious corner help for the D to keep our margins for error high with defensive support.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I believe 4 of those are rushing tds. I prefer a pocket passer. I’d like to see AR show that he can do that….. otherwise he’ll prob have a short career.

So. Since does it matter how you score.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

AR needs to be groomed like a pass first guy to read the coverages and run only when necessary when his rehab is done. That way he can surprise like Jalen Hurts in Year 2.

But for the love of God, let’s get him some offensive help and serious corner help for the D to keep our margins for error high with defensive support.

He is already  that player. Anyone watching him can see he wants to pass first.

With a hopefully good incoming 2024 draft class for Indy they should very much be in the running to win the division next year, so long as AR5 stays healthy if course. Let’s all pray he learns to slide and avoid big hits. I still like him the best out of all the rookie QBs if he stays healthy. 

8 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wanted levis. Man he looked good today too.

You and me both. I was excited about drafting him, but also worried we may draft AR...then pretty unhappy once we did.

I still hoped I was wrong and that AR would succeed, but worried about injuries as a running QB, and that he would be a 1 read QB unable to read the defense due to lack of experience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So. Since does it matter how you score.

He is already  that player. Anyone watching him can see he wants to pass first.

Like a lot of other running quarterbacks, he doesn't know how to read the defense and if the first read isn't open he normally takes off and runs with it. 

It drives me nuts, listening to the commentators talk about how a player can extend the play when in reality they don't read the defense so they scramble around and wait for someone to get open or else take off running with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

I completely agree. I don’t want Caleb Williams anywhere near this team. But I do think if you have a top 3 pick, you consider it. But it depends on who is on the board to me. Personally, even if we were to somehow end up with number 1, I really want to go WR if there’s one that is truly a game changing type WR. Is that Marv 2.0 or is it someone else? 

• Like 1