Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The refs and Adam archuleta (MERGE)

coltsorioles

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Yep Baker, was out of position on both plays and got cooked for 30yds by Moore and the 9yd catch by Cooper a few plays prior to the penalties.

Guy needs his walking papers.

Actually Baker was exactly where is was supposed to be on the 30 yd. play.  They were in a zone.  Baker had underneath and his drop was deep enough.  It was the one dime that PJ Walker threw all day.  If anyone got beat there it was Blackmon.  Especially when the Colts wanted to keep the Browns in bounds.  

The illegal contact was a nonsense call.  Cooper initiated contact and the fumble had already taken place.  Look at Cooper's reaction.  He thought the game was over and didn't complain at all for a call.  As for the DPI, that probably should have been defensive holding.  Definitely not a DPI.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

He had an opportunity to bring a league wide issue into the spotlight and potentially force the league to respond. He didn’t. 

And maybe I am and maybe I’m not. Doesn’t have anything to do with anything.

Coaches get fined for that don't they? And then the refs could instigate payback against us for the rest of the year

Just now, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Coaches get fined for that don't they? And then the refs could instigate payback against us for the rest of the year

They sure do. And he makes a lot of money (assuming Irsay wouldn’t under the table pay him back for it).

And what better way to highlight the problems with the refs than to show they would be petty for doing so?

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I didn't catch the explanation on the ineligible downfield call. The guy was clearly more than 1 yard past the line of scrimmage when the pass was thrown, so I don't understand why they picked it up.

One of the announcers said  it was because the pass was completed behind the line of scrimmage.

I wasn't aware that made a difference. Anybody know if it does?

18 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I think that is largely because Miami has committed more penalties thank the Eagles. 

That's not what he said.

Eagles had ZERO penalties.

In fact, Eagles were the only team this week that had zero penalties.

In fact, this is the only game Eagles had ZERO penalties this season.

Maybe, Eagles played a perfect game. Maybe, Eagles understood how this game's referees wanted the plays called and acted accordingly.

Maybe, referees were just harsh on Miami.

Maybe, some team's playing style and some referee crew's foul-calling just don't mesh.

But, it's not just like Miami has more penalties than Eagles, Miami has 10 and Eagles had 0. 

Whenever such rarity happens, it does raise question if the referees may have favorable view of one team that makes them let go that team's 50/50 penalty calls and they throw a flag often on some other team, just because their brand of style just doesn't look alright for the re5 toferees.

If the penalties are going to be subjective opinion of the referees, it presents a problem.

We can't be sure if all referees are completely unbiased towards certain teams or players.

It's always a grey area. 

Those call were bad, however we put ourselves in that situation. We don’t give up that 30 yard pass on 3 and 10 it’s our game. I was upset yesterday about the game. Today it’s time to move on and get ready for the Saints 

I used to care what announcers said about the teams I support.

But, after thinking about it, I just no longer do.  They can say whatever they want to say.  It has no bearing on the games, their outcomes, or anything else.

What the refs do matters, a lot.  What the announcers, commentators, radio talk show hosts, etal say does not.

That said, it would be nice if the NFL would follow in MLB’s footsteps - at least for Sunday Ticket and/or NFL+ - and offer each team’s radio feed as alternative audio.  It’s one of the best features of MLB.tv.

40 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

That's not what he said.

Eagles had ZERO penalties.

In fact, Eagles were the only team this week that had zero penalties.

In fact, this is the only game Eagles had ZERO penalties this season.

Maybe, Eagles played a perfect game. Maybe, Eagles understood how this game's referees wanted the plays called and acted accordingly.

Maybe, referees were just harsh on Miami.

Maybe, some team's playing style and some referee crew's foul-calling just don't mesh.

But, it's not just like Miami has more penalties than Eagles, Miami has 10 and Eagles had 0. 

Whenever such rarity happens, it does raise question if the referees may have favorable view of one team that makes them let go that team's 50/50 penalty calls and they throw a flag often on some other team, just because their brand of style just doesn't look alright for the re5 toferees.

If the penalties are going to be subjective opinion of the referees, it presents a problem.

We can't be sure if all referees are completely unbiased towards certain teams or players.

It's always a grey area. 

For context, the Eagles did get called for penalties, but they were either offsetting or declined. Not that it changes your point...

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Anecdotal, and I think it's bogus. I don't think the quality of officiating is driving people away from the NFL in any meaningful way. I think people have a tendency to blame their favorite boogeyman. The reason why sports viewership is down is simple, IMO -- people consume sports and entertainment differently than they did a few years ago, and the largest demographics are not watching live sports the way they used to. 

I agree with your point, but I think there's an element of authority that has to be considered as well. I'm a big NBA fan, but NBA players undermine the refs all game long, and it sours me on players. Every time a call is made that the player doesn't like, he's twirling his finger asking the coach to challenge the play. It's poor sportsmanship, and a little entitled.

And this is relatively new. You can watch games from a decade ago and notice a big difference in the way players and refs interacted with each other. 

My point is that it's probably not good to completely undermine the refs if you expect them to still maintain some control over the way the game is managed.

Still, allowing the replay process to correct clear and obvious mistakes -- to a reasonable extent -- is a mild correction that could be made without too much impact to the way the game is played.

esports, twitch and Tik Tok are the new future. That is what most of the under 30 crowd are watching these days. Influencers and short videos are far easier to consume and they can easily hop from one topic to another with short attention spans. 

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I just went a little more in-depth on this in my reply to jvan about how I feel the presentation has made the officiating a problem. 

And I honestly feel like that has more of an adverse affect on viewers than anything else. I know we’ve all heard plenty of “I don’t watch football anymore because the refs decide the game” stories. Those were extreme arguments, but there are a lot of fans who have stopped watching over it. 

Having an official who could correct the kind of stuff that prevents that argument. It makes the NFL look like it’s committed to its rules. 

I sympathize with officials. I do not mean to % on them in any way. The fans in the seats can literally look up at the big boards and see it with better vision than they actually have. And they can do it before the next play starts. 

Traditionally I’ve always heard that refs don’t want someone undermining their calls. That was always the traditional argument against replay. They don’t want someone judging them for being wrong in real time is the argument I’ve heard against something like a sky judge. 

But how exactly is that working out for them? It’s happening anyways, and now they’re getting heat for the times where they get it wrong. 

Officials are against it because it is to them what the first robot was to the assembly line. 

And while that’s fair, I do think it is inevitable. 

It’s becoming a major issue for the league. This has been a story on the front pages of most major news outlets today. Between Mike McDaniels Twitter thread, what happened in our game, and others yesterday, the state of NFL officiating has taken some spotlight. This kind of stuff is going to drive a lot of fans away over the long-term. Something has to improve. 

The XFL televises the replay referee live, hooked to the on field ref live. And many of the players interviewed immediately after the play on the sideline.  Makes the game fan friendly and Fun!    

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

The XFL televises the replay referee live, hooked to the on field ref live. And many of the players interviewed immediately after the play on the sideline.  Makes the game fan friendly and Fun!    

Admittedly, I skipped out on the XFL and USFL this spring. I was just burnt out after the draft. All of the feedback on the “sky judge” that I’ve seen and heard from the season, however, has been positive so it’s not like it simply can’t be done. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Admittedly, I skipped out on the XFL and USFL this spring. I was just burnt out after the draft. All of the feedback on the “sky judge” that I’ve seen and heard from the season, however, has been positive so it’s not like it simply can’t be done. 

I’ve been a Colts, thus NFL fan for almost 70 years.  After last year- I found the XFL more enjoying!!!!!  And I saw a lot of PJ Walker!

22 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Was that the same game when the SF receiver ran out the back of the end zone to get around the ref and then came back in an caught the "winning" TD?

I don't think so. It was the one Young was int'd a couple of times during  scoring drives only to be called back because of PI. 49's win with a last sec fg🤮

22 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Apology letters won't cut it. I stopped watching NFL football after the Colts game. The NFL needs to be investigated, and not some "internal investigation". That's not sport, that's only entertainment where the outcome is pre-determined.

This has been getting worse since Goodell has been in charge. These refs are part-time NFL employees and they have a No suspension clause in their contract. So the NFL has that on air dude in NY that announcers go to interpreting HOW fans are getting reamed. 😆

• Like 1

• w87r changed the title to The refs and Adam archuleta (MERGE)
14 minutes ago, jemack said:

Good article and good from a less biased source than us fans.

Something has to change. This is why I get annoyed that players and coaches aren’t speaking up more. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

1 hour ago, bluebombers87 said:

Good article and good from a less biased source than us fans.

Something has to change. This is why I get annoyed that players and coaches aren’t speaking up more. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I'd be interested to see the play clock on the fumble vs the clock on the "penalty". Probably means nothing. I thought key penalties could be overturned from a booth official or was that just an experiment...