Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

**Report** Surgery/Season Ender AR Likely

Indeee

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Not sure how the rest of the season plays out with Minshew and how high of a pick we get. But after seeing how AR reacts to NFL hits,  if the very slim chance we get an opportunity to draft Williams or May comes true it needs to be seriously considered IMO anyways.

We aren't picking a QB no matter who is available, I can't see Ballard or Irsay giving up on AR after 1 season. Not only that, when he was in, he played well. More than likely we win 8 or 9 games and pick around 17th or so. By then, Williams, Maye, Penix, and Nix will all be gone anyway. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We aren't picking a QB no matter who is available, I can't see Ballard or Irsay giving up on AR after 1 season. Not only that, when he was in, he played well. More than likely we win 8 or 9 games and pick around 17th or so. By then, Williams, Maye, Penix, and Nix will all be gone anyway. 

Yah im not saying its likely that we have a chance. I think we probably have a better chance at playoffs over drafting May or Williams.

However crazier things have happened in the NFL. I don't believe for 2 seconds that if the opportunity arose Irsay would not dump AR for Williams or May. Much much much more polished NFL prospects. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Minshew doesn’t play much better than he did yesterday, the Colts will more than likely be a 6 or 7 win team at best. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

However crazier things have happened in the NFL. I don't believe for 2 seconds that if the opportunity arose Irsay would not dump AR for Williams or May. Much much much more polished NFL prospects. 

If the Colts have the #1 pick, they have to pick Caleb Williams. It's not even a hard decision, IMO. But I don't think they wind up with the #1 pick. 

I'm not as high on Drake Maye, but I only watched a limited amount of his games last season. I will be giving him some more attention the rest of this season.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

If the Colts have the #1 pick, they have to pick Caleb Williams. It's not even a hard decision, IMO. But I don't think they wind up with the #1 pick. 

I'm not as high on Drake Maye, but I only watched a limited amount of his games last season. I will be giving him some more attention the rest of this season.

Colts I bet would not   take Williams. They would do what they have to to get MHJ.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts I bet would not   take Williams. They would do what they have to to get MHJ.

I don't think we'll ever know, because the Colts probably don't wind up with the #1 pick. But I stand by my statement.

Just listened to Schefter's comments, apparently he's hearing that the AR injury is slightly less serious than they expected at first, maybe a Grade 2, and doesn't necessarily require surgery. But I don't think they know for sure.

I also think there's a legitimate question about Richardson's ability to protect himself at NFL game speed, which might mean that we need to be more methodical about the way he gets used moving forward. I don't think he's ready to just have the offense put on his shoulders yet.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think we'll ever know, because the Colts probably don't wind up with the #1 pick. But I stand by my statement.

Just listened to Schefter's comments, apparently he's hearing that the AR injury is slightly less serious than they expected at first, maybe a Grade 2, and doesn't necessarily require surgery. But I don't think they know for sure.

I also think there's a legitimate question about Richardson's ability to protect himself at NFL game speed, which might mean that we need to be more methodical about the way he gets used moving forward. I don't think he's ready to just have the offense put on his shoulders yet.

Here is a update after he was texted about saying grade 3 didn’t need surgery. Some of it is him having such little experience and he will learn.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I just heard AR could be back this season and it may be only a Grade 2 as well. I just heard it on NFL Network. I am not sure what to believe anymore because you have 10 different people reporting something different daily lmao . @Restinpeacesweetchloe, Thoughts?

By the way, I think Caleb Williams will probably be the real deal but I am not so sure Michael Penix isn't better. He has put up monster numbers as well and has played better against elite teams like beating Oregon putting up 36.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Good post….   And I’d add that I think much of the growing pains we are witnessing are the result of only playing 13 college games.  

I believe AR is now making the mistakes that he normally would’ve made in college, but they’re now coming at the NFL level.   I’ve always thought there would be lots of growing pains this year, I just didn’t know how they would reveal themselves.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think an off season of NFL level S&C will go a long way in preparing his body for NFL hits. 

He does need to slide though and run out of bounds. 

• Like 2

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Good post….   And I’d add that I think much of the growing pains we are witnessing are the result of only playing 13 college games.  

I believe AR is now making the mistakes that he normally would’ve made in college, but they’re now coming at the NFL level.   I’ve always thought there would be lots of growing pains this year, I just didn’t know how they would reveal themselves.   

Yep. His play was clearly not of a rookie. But his inexperience has showed with how he falls or takes a hit. 

Just now, Solid84 said:

I think an off season of NFL level S&C will go a long way in preparing his body for NFL hits. 

He does need to slide though and run out of bounds. 

Which is why having to have surgery is sad because it will probably delay that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed. I would have never anticipated that he'd be concussed after being hit while crossing the goal line, at the end of a play in which he showed a glimpse of how special he is athletically. Just a fluke, but it doesn't happen if he has a greater understanding and respect for how fast NFL defenders are. 

And while I'm concerned about his recovery from the shoulder injury, I'm not overly concerned about his durability. Anyone who gets pancaked like that has a strong chance of sustaining a serious injury. I'm more concerned about him underestimating how capable an NFL DL is of catching him from behind. 

I was worried he might be overwhelmed by NFL speed and be unable to function, but that hasn't really been the case. There's just a few plays where he seems to rely on his superior athleticism, and that's not going to get him as far as it did in college.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Joel Erickson said on his podcast today they are just going to give it time to rehab first and see what happens  I think as long as the decision is made before the end of the month they are ok. That would have him back by may. 

Aside from Schefter saying maybe it's only a Grade 2, I don't think there's been any new, meaningful information. Lots of headlines, but none of them have changed anything. 

They're probably going to let him rehab for a couple weeks, and reevaluate. And even then, I think the question will be whether he can heal more completely by having surgery, and if the answer is yes, he'll probably do the surgery. It's not really about whether he can get back this year, it's about what's best for him in the long run, as it should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Aside from Schefter saying maybe it's only a Grade 2, I don't think there's been any new, meaningful information. Lots of headlines, but none of them have changed anything. 

They're probably going to let him rehab for a couple weeks, and reevaluate. And even then, I think the question will be whether he can heal more completely by having surgery, and if the answer is yes, he'll probably do the surgery. It's not really about whether he can get back this year, it's about what's best for him in the long run, as it should be.

Agreed

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Joel Erickson said on his podcast today they are just going to give it time to rehab first and see what happens  I think as long as the decision is made before the end of the month they are ok. That would have him back by may. 

This is what I have been saying.  He has to miss four games regardless.  He’s already missed the first one.  No reason to rush surgery especially after hearing today’s update.  Surgery should be avoided whenever possible.  It should be the last resort.  Hopefully he heals up quickly and he can avoid it.  Thank goodness they are not not rushing to surgery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is what I have been saying.  He has to miss four games regardless.  He’s already missed the first one.  No reason to rush surgery especially after hearing today’s update.  Surgery should be avoided whenever possible.  It should be the last resort.  Hopefully he heals up quickly and he can avoid it.  Thank goodness they are not not rushing to surgery.

I think that’s where most fans are and have been.  I know I agree if you can avoid cutting on his throwing shoulder you do that at all costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Pretty much zero chance the Colts pick at 1.1. They have 3 wins and 8 games remain where they will be favored or small underdogs. That said , I think they would trade the pick (1.1) as they would get a boatload . Trading AR could  be a little tricky considering the injury.

I said this I think a week or two ago. Colin Cowherd has heard rumors from Caleb's camp that if he's not liking a organization(like the bears, cards, etc) he won't go to them and do a Elway, Eli move. 

So though it's unlikely the colts will have the #1 pick, it's even more of a  moot point considering Caleb would probably add Indy as a No No Destination.....and I'm sure the networks and advertisers would be on board too. haha

I think he ends up in New England or Denver. That would make a lot of people happy.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Caleb Williams is available when we pick.  We almost certainly pick him.  You can trade AR for a decent return, and Williams is widely considered one of the best prospects at QB that has been seen.

There seems to be a lot of quarterback injuries this year. Justin fields.now our this week with a dislocated thumb. Jimmy our most likely. Aaron Rodgers for the Jets.  I don’t think I remember so many injuries as we have had this season in the league.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

If Caleb Williams is available when we pick.  We almost certainly pick him.  You can trade AR for a decent return, and Williams is widely considered one of the best prospects at QB that has been seen.

No they won’t. I guarantee they won’t. They will look into making sure they get MHJ.

Yeah, me personally, if the club believes AR isn't going to be able to be a running QB and stay healthy ala Jalen Hurts so far, Newton for half a dozen years, LJ, then we need to move on and move on now. 

There can't be a legitimate argument for a dude with that kind of inaccuracy becoming a pocket QB.  He is going to be a running QB or he is not going to be a legit NFL starter IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There seems to be a lot of quarterback injuries this year. Justin fields.now our this week with a dislocated thumb. Jimmy G out most likely. Aaron Rodgers for the Jets.  I don’t think I remember so many injuries as we have had this season in the league.

No they won’t. I guarantee they won’t. They will look into making sure they get MHJ.

This is also why I feel DaVante Adams will be on a new team, when the trade deadline comes around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I will never critisize Ballard for picking Richardson. I felt that even if Stroud and Young were there, I would have picked AR. The one thing that sticks with me recently is this. Polian once said that he wants 3 years of tape on a player; especially qbs. Anthony only played 13 games. All of us used that to evaluate his game. I was listening to a Colts podcast, and this guy also loved AR. He said maybe if AR would have played 3 seasons, injuries may have been a big issue with him. I'm not going against the pick, but maybe further highlights the need for game film when making a pick this valuable. I think all of us saw a 250 athletic freak and it never really crossed our minds that he maybe the most brittle of the 3. 

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah, me personally, if the club believes AR isn't going to be able to be a running QB and stay healthy ala Jalen Hurts so far, Newton for half a dozen years, LJ, then we need to move on and move on now. 

There can't be a legitimate argument for a dude with that kind of inaccuracy becoming a pocket QB.  He is going to be a running QB or he is not going to be a legit NFL starter IMO.

Are you serious? First of all they haven’t even run him that much. Second you don’t take a QB that high and try to make him something he isn’t.  He will get it figured out. 

Can we stop Richardson is made of glass. Stafford hurt his AC joint three times his first two years. Had surgery finally and never hurt it again in 8 years. Stafford is a pocket passer by the way. This same injury is very common with QB. It has nothing to do with him running. He could of injured it in the pocket just as easily. I think some of you just never wanted him and are now trying to say I was right.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I will never critisize Ballard for picking Richardson. I felt that even if Stroud and Young were there, I would have picked AR. The one thing that sticks with me recently is this. Polian once said that he wants 3 years of tape on a player; especially qbs. Anthony only played 13 games. All of us used that to evaluate his game. I was listening to a Colts podcast, and this guy also loved AR. He said maybe if AR would have played 3 seasons, injuries may have been a big issue with him. I'm not going against the pick, but maybe further highlights the need for game film when making a pick this valuable. I think all of us saw a 250 athletic freak and it never really crossed our minds that he maybe the most brittle of the 3. 

Whether you are a passer or a running QB, he didn't have enough experience doing either. Lamar had 2 years?? Hurts definitely had 3 years. So that matters, learning how to handle your own playing style over time, adapting to those that adapt to your style. 

• Like 1

Agreed. I would have never anticipated that he'd be concussed after being hit while crossing the goal line, at the end of a play in which he showed a glimpse of how special he is athletically. Just a fluke, but it doesn't happen if he has a greater understanding and respect for how fast NFL defenders are. 

And while I'm concerned about his recovery from the shoulder injury, I'm not overly concerned about his durability. Anyone who gets pancaked like that has a strong chance of sustaining a serious injury. I'm more concerned about him underestimating how capable an NFL DL is of catching him from behind. 

I was worried he might be overwhelmed by NFL speed and be unable to function, but that hasn't really been the case. There's just a few plays where he seems to rely on his superior athleticism, and that's not going to get him as far as it did in college.

Supe we were just discussing AR and injury.  And sure enough, he has nowhere to go with two defenders, and goes down.  He needed to give himself up there.  Hopefully he learns that.

Now I get if you mean grand scheme kinda Zen not letting things "concern" you about anything in the unfeeling universe.  That being said as a Colts fan I am not sure how one could be "unconcerned" with AR's health going forward since he has gotten injured in every NFL game he's played thus far and only finished one.   They were all different injuries too.

I think I totally agree with your assessment of AR.  He's getting all this praise about how "great" he's been and he's been less that starter material by most statistical measures.  He currently has a 45 QBR according to ESPN, and one of the worst passer ratings of NFL starters.

He looks like a legit NFL player/starter, but other than that he looks just like he did in college.  Flashes of incredible talent marred by inaccuracy.  Still not sure about this kid going forward.  

I don't see a pathway of him being any good though unless he's as running type of Hurts, Jackson, Newton type of guy

Also like Steichen said today they want to make sure this does not happen again which is why surgery might be the best option so he doesn’t hurt it again next season. Especially when he has had this injury before. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Supe we were just discussing AR and injury.  And sure enough, he has nowhere to go with two defenders, and goes down.  He needed to give himself up there.  Hopefully he learns that.

Now I get if you mean grand scheme kinda Zen not letting things "concern" you about anything in the unfeeling universe.  That being said as a Colts fan I am not sure how one could be "unconcerned" with AR's health going forward since he has gotten injured in every NFL game he's played thus far and only finished one.   They were all different injuries too.

I think I totally agree with your assessment of AR.  He's getting all this praise about how "great" he's been and he's been less that starter material by most statistical measures.  He currently has a 45 QBR according to ESPN, and one of the worst passer ratings of NFL starters.

He looks like a legit NFL player/starter, but other than that he looks just like he did in college.  Flashes of incredible talent marred by inaccuracy.  Still not sure about this kid going forward.  

I don't see a pathway of him being any good though unless he's as running type of Hurts, Jackson, Newton type of guy

He has been more accurate then college BTW

37 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Pretty much zero chance the Colts pick at 1.1. They have 3 wins and 8 games remain where they will be favored or small underdogs. That said , I think they would trade the pick (1.1) as they would get a boatload . Trading AR could  be a little tricky considering the injury.

Agreed to the first part, it's highly unlikely the Colts pick #1. But if they traded out with Williams available, I think it would be a huge mistake. 

Just now, Superman said:

Agreed to the first part, it's highly unlikely the Colts pick #1. But if they traded out with Williams available, I think it would be a huge mistake. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

what Richardson showed in his short time there is no way they would trade him and take Williams.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't really judge CFB guys coming into the NFL.  It's hard and I don't watch much CFB anyway.  But I do occasionally pay attention to what is being said.  

So I don't necessarily criticize the team for picking the dude.  In his brief appearances, it's clear that he has the raw tools and demeanor of a NFL QB.  

But I do feel confident about this.  AR will not be a good NFL player if he is made to play from the pocket and not have designed zone read type plays 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Are you serious? First of all they haven’t even run him that much. Second you don’t take a QB that high and try to make him something he isn’t.  He will get it figured out. 

Relax CHloe.  Breathe in/  Breathe out.

YEs I'm serious.  AR has played less than 3 games quarter wise and has 25 rushing attempts.  That's almost 10 a game.  That's a ton for a QB.

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think his inaccuracy is a little overblown. He'll never be Drew Brees, but he's also not Derek Anderson. Richardson has a higher baseline for being an accurate passer than Josh Allen did, IMO, based on what we've seen so far.

But I agree with the main point, which is if you're not going to weaponize his athletic ability then you're not going to get a high enough level of QB play.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

what Richardson showed in his short time there is no way they would trade him and take Williams.

And I think that would be a huge mistake.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Whether you are a passer or a running QB, he didn't have enough experience doing either. Lamar had 2 years?? Hurts definitely had 3 years. So that matters, learning how to handle your own playing style over time, adapting to those that adapt to your style. 

Lamar had 3 years

• Like 1