Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chappell reports sprained AC joint for Richardson (MERGE)

GoColts8818

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

QB and Coach are vitally important as you know. So far AR has played better than most have expected, just hasn't been able to stay healthy. Potentially he can be good, he needs to be for us to compete with the teams I mentioned above. The 4 games he has played in have been valuable by themselves as far getting a feel for the NFL game. As far as Shane goes, so far I am impressed with him. I think he can become a great coach.

I’m beginning to think that it’s more the coach and his staff that has a greater impact these days. At least initially 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm liking Steichen. I was impressed that he was engaged enough to chew out Tyquan Lewis after his offsides penalty. I like that he always seems to know what he's doing on 4th down, and most of the time the opposing coach is reacting to him. He's managing timeouts well. He's 1-1 on challenges. He seems intense and focused, but doesn't seem like he's a jerk to his players. I hate his pressers, which is kind of a good thing, because he's buttoned up and not giving away state secrets. 

I don't always agree with his 4th down decisions, or his play calling, but I can tell he knows what he wants to do. The only thing preventing us from having an established identity on offense so far is Richardson's availability.

Things look good with Steichen so far.

I agree with all your points, very well put. He holds people accountable and has a high football IQ from what I am watching. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm liking Steichen. I was impressed that he was engaged enough to chew out Tyquan Lewis after his offsides penalty. I like that he always seems to know what he's doing on 4th down, and most of the time the opposing coach is reacting to him. He's managing timeouts well. He's 1-1 on challenges. He seems intense and focused, but doesn't seem like he's a jerk to his players. I hate his pressers, which is kind of a good thing, because he's buttoned up and not giving away state secrets. 

I don't always agree with his 4th down decisions, or his play calling, but I can tell he knows what he wants to do. The only thing preventing us from having an established identity on offense so far is Richardson's availability.

Things look good with Steichen so far.

Wow I missed that. Very cool

1 hour ago, Superman said:

People use the word "tank" in a lot of different ways, and it bugs me. If a team decides to play a younger player over a more known quantity veteran, people start accusing them of tanking.

For me, this was a 'let's see what we have' season for the Colts. Still is, IMO. We needed to know if the OL is as bad as it looked last year, and if our new coaching staff can get some improvements out of them. We need to know if any of the young guys in the secondary can play (Flowers was playing well, Brents looks promising), and whether some of the third/fourth year guys will step up (Blackmon in particular). Most importantly, do we have a HC/QB combo that we can win with.

I think this kind of evaluation is a very important part of team building. I don't think it's tanking. And I agree with you, there's no way you evaluate your team after a month and say 'it's looking promising, now let's shut it down so we can get a better draft spot.' 

For me any decision that takes into account draft position is tanking. In other words - you can play suboptimal lineups or make subptimal moves for variety of reasons(bad coaching, bad GMing, prioritizing development of youth over wins, etc.), but the moment your draft position is even partially the reason you are making a decision... this makes it tanking automatically. 

And for the record - I do NOT object to tanking in general with some minor exceptions. As long as you are playing within the rules of the league, everything is fair game IMO. As long as the players themselves don't lose on purpose I'm OK with it for the most part. 

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is a distinct type of QBs we are working out. Steichen definitely likes his run option QBs. 

He is working out those qbs cause that is the style of offence he is running. His recent history has been Hurts and Richardson who are running qbs. However, he did work with Herbert and although athletic, I wouldn't describe him as a running qb and I bet the offence was way different under Steichen. We will never know who he really wanted  if Stroud or Young was there at 4, Would they still have taken  Richardson?

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

For me any decision that takes into account draft position is tanking. In other words - you can play suboptimal lineups or make subptimal moves for variety of reasons(bad coaching, bad GMing, prioritizing development of youth over wins, etc.), but the moment your draft position is even partially the reason you are making a decision... this makes it tanking automatically. 

And for the record - I do NOT object to tanking in general with some minor exceptions. As long as you are playing within the rules of the league, everything is fair game IMO. As long as the players themselves don't lose on purpose I'm OK with it for the most part. 

This is mostly unprovable, and usually unknowable by anyone outside the top brass. So when the Cardinals get rid of Colt McCoy and start Josh Dobbs, everyone assumes it's because they're tanking, but Dobbs has been playing as well as McCoy ever did. 

Same thing when Cooper Kupp takes off for treatment on his hamstring. Both of these teams have been better than expected, at least so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is working out those qbs cause that is the style of offence he is running. His recent history has been Hurts and Richardson who are running qbs. However, he did work with Herbert and although athletic, I wouldn't describe him as a running qb and I bet the offence was way different under Steichen. We will never know who he really wanted  if Stroud or Young was there at 4, Would they still have taken  Richardson?

I honestly think yes. He would have wanted Richardson. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

I agree with your definition of actually tanking. That is why I have always thought tanking is a loser mentality. For me it has to be a super rare circumstance for me to be ok with to do a quiet tank job lmao . I have been a fan since 1984 and the only time I was ok with losing/tanking was in 2011. Let me add, we were 0-8 when I got ok with it in 2011 - seasons was over at that point. We had a bad aging roster with the exception of Wayne and Mathis, I knew Peyton would probably be gone, and Andrew Luck was going to be there at #1. That is how rare it has to be ok for me. 1 time out of 40 seasons, I didn't mind losing, so 1 out of 40 seasons is not even 1% of the time. It is like .025%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Both are ballers. You can tell they love the game and give 100% every game. Ballard fleeced Buffalo by trading for Moss.

yeah, the physicality and high motor high effort are very similar imo. both players seek out contact with vigor, and hit hard. both play with low pads. 

very llucky to have moss and zaire

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That makes up for Jerry Hughes?? :P

Not yet

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Watching Aaron Rodgers on the McAfee show. He said, he has been impressed with the Mustache Man this year. That the Colts will still be ok with him starting. He also said that AR has a chance to be a special great QB, but he said - You need to slide dude Season 4 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons.

homer simpson fire GIF

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts 23-19. The D comes up big and holds the Jags below 20 and we score just enough. Matt Gay with 3 FG's in this game.

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Very good explanation here on when a AC joint needs surgical repair.

Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

Odd we haven’t heard anything just yet. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. 

I know the team is collecting multiple opinions, you’d think they’d be able to get them all in over two days. 

I actually don’t expect to hear anything beyond what they are required to say:  IE putting him on IR or being forced to answer a question in a press conference.  They don’t have to tell us anything and I doubt they want to set a timetable publicly incase he doesn’t meet it.

30 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

I know the team is collecting multiple opinions, you’d think they’d be able to get them all in over two days. 

I think that it’s a bad thing 

36 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I actually don’t expect to hear anything beyond what they are required to say:  IE putting him on IR or being forced to answer a question in a press conference.  They don’t have to tell us anything and I doubt they want to set a timetable publicly incase he doesn’t meet it.

Like Holder was saying to today there ptobsbly won’t be a time table. When he is healed he is healed. Unless he has surgery there won’t be a time table. If he goes on IR we will know it’s at least 4 games.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Like Holder was saying to today there ptobsbly won’t be a time table. When he is healed he is healed. Unless he has surgery there won’t be a time table. If he goes on IR we will know it’s at least 4 games.

That’s really all I want to know. Is he going to have surgery and is he going on to IR. I’m ok if they don’t really have a full timeline. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

He's flying around the country getting second and third opinions. Probably includes new imaging. He's not playing this week, and he's probably out at least a month. I don't know what good additional updates would do.

I'm sure Steichen gets asked about it tomorrow, and I bet he says they don't have a timeline yet. And I don't think there's too much more we can expect right now. I think getting specific news before tomorrow is probably a bad thing, because it will probably mean he's having surgery and will be done for the year.