Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No one will offer a first.

Yeah, so he'll be a Colt this season most likely. If it's not a 1st then there's probably another individual going to be involved along with a 2nd or 3rd.

The guy still wants to go elsewhere.

Welcome back, JT. Let's get to work, win some games this season and get you paid. 

Does anyone else feel like he was possibly waiting to see if Richardson was legit? Like now that he's seen Anthony play NFL level ball he's ready to recommit to the team? 

Just me? lol... 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, that’s not a smart answer….   

Smart?  No.

Honest?  Yeah, probably.

I'm here because all of my other options are gone.  I couldn't engineer a trade.  I couldn't get anyone in the NFL to pay me what I wanted.  My "injury" time has run out.  My last option is to play.  So -- I'm here.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’ll honest, I don’t really like his answers. Maybe it’s just how his answers are presented in these snippets, but… something’s off. 

Yeah? I’m not getting that bad a vibe from this... Sounds like he might have accepted that he needs to play with his teammates and then we will see how it goes later regarding a contract … which is basically that best we could realistically hope for right now.

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Welcome back, JT. Let's get to work, win some games this season and get you paid. 

Does anyone else feel like he was possibly waiting to see if Richardson was legit? Like now that he's seen Anthony play NFL level ball he's ready to recommit to the team? 

Just me? lol... 

I have thought that could of been part of it.

Try not to over think  tweets. Wait until they put up the presser before making a judgement on these tweets. It’s hard to get good context from tweets.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Smart?  No.

Honest?  Yeah, probably.

I'm here because all of my other options are gone.  I couldn't engineer a trade.  I couldn't get anyone in the NFL to pay me what I wanted.  My "injury" time has run out.  My last option is to play.  So -- I'm here.

Exactly. This must be tough for a star athlete who probably hasn’t been told no since he was 15. 

Just now, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah? I’m not getting that bad a vibe from this... Sounds like he might have accepted that he needs to play with his teammates and then we will see how it goes later regarding a contract … which is basically that best we could realistically hope for right now.

I feel like if a player was 100% on board they would come out and unequivocally say so. His answers leave doubts. At least in my mind. 

He’ll play and probably give 100%. But I don’t think he wants to be here based on these few snippets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Just me? lol... 

I certainly don’t think it’s hurt. Back when this all first started to get out of control there was a narrative out there that he didn’t want to play with Richardson, or a running QB ETC… 

But I certainly think it’s within reason that seeing the way Richardson has blossomed and seeing the way Moss has had success running the ball has helped paint a little more accommodating picture for Taylor. This isn’t the 2022 Colts offense again, or somehow worse. 

I absolutely think we’ve done a very good job of “selling” that there is still some real opportunity here over these first 4 weeks. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’ll honest, I don’t really like his answers. Maybe it’s just how his answers are presented in these snippets, but… something’s off. 

I knew you wouldn't, not trying to start anything today but I can read you like a book and pictured you saying this lmao . All it matters is, he is ready to go and we have a big game this week vs the Titans that can determine a lot in the end as far as who wins the division.

-My opinion on his answers, wasn't good or bad. He seems like he wants to play and he likes his teammates and the fans here in Indy, he just wants to get paid too. 

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

He's giving the vibe of a guy who is going to play and play well because he has to. 

That's the business, factual side.

The emotional side? Yeah, this isn't a guy who wants to play for the Colts. I dont think he believes the Colts have any interest in paying him what he thinks he's worth. 

I'm totally fine with him keeping things a buck. He doesnt have to be a fan fave, just has to produce and have his teammates believe that. The fans, owner, media, yeah all that doesnt matter to him. The guy is about his money. And if he produces, the fans will put the heat on the front office/owner to pay him. Whether that's a good decision or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

He's deflecting and being withholding, rather than giving any kind of insight. What we learned is that he knows he's out of options and has to get on the field. We probably learned that he still wants the Colts to trade him, and that probably means he's hoping that another team makes a legitimate offer between now and the deadline.

I think he had to play up the "100% healthy" part to avoid giving the Colts reason to pursue a grievance. I was hoping he'd admit that this is about business, and he knows it's not fun, but he has to do what he has to do, but that probably wouldn't be smart for him to put on the record at this point.

I would feel a lot better if he said anything indicating that he intends to play out his contract. Maybe saying the contract is an offseason issue is the closest we'll get for now. Looking forward to watching the whole presser when it gets posted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If he didn't want to be here, he would not play at all, that is common sense. It is like when you date someone and you know it isn't going to work out because you can't stand her, you want out bad. He didn't seem like that to me, he just wants to be paid.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Exactly 100% correct.

10 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Exactly. This must be tough for a star athlete who probably hasn’t been told no since he was 15. 

Nah, this aint it.

A player in a highly fungible position tried his best to get paid while playing a losing hand. That's more like it.

The bit you're talking of can be applied to every single player in the league if thats the route you're taking it, doesnt add up

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I knew you wouldn't, not trying to start anything today but I can read you like a book and pictured you saying this lmao . All it matters is, he is ready to go and we have a big game this week vs the Titans that can determine a lot in the end as far as who wins the division.

-My opinion on his answers, wasn't good or bad. He seems like he wants to play and he likes his teammates and the fans here in Indy, he just wants to get paid too. 

Based on our earlier conversasions you absolutely can’t read me like an open book lol. 

You think I just dislike JT, but that’s because you disregard my arguments for why signing him to a big contract is a bad idea. I don’t dislike him. Not at all. 

When I started watching this game I fell in love with it because of RBs. Priest Holmes, Mike Alstott, Marshall Faulk. Those guys and more like them.

I love watching JT (any RB really) break off a big run. Have you seen Bijan run? DAMN! But, everything we know right now is that paying elite RBs does not help you win late in the playoffs. As much as I like watching JT, paying him will be a detriment to the team long term. 

If JT had come out saying: “I’m here 100%. I want to be a Colt. I rescinded my trade request. Let’s go win!” Do you think I’d have disliked his answers? That would have left ZERO doubt. Instead we get this noncommital whatever it is…

You don’t know me and generally only read what you want to read from my posts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I certainly don’t think it’s hurt. Back when this all first started to get out of control there was a narrative out there that he didn’t want to play with Richardson, or a running QB ETC… 

But I certainly think it’s within reason that seeing the way Richardson has blossomed and seeing the way Moss has had success running the ball has helped paint a little more accommodating picture for Taylor. This isn’t the 2022 Colts offense again, or somehow worse. 

I absolutely think we’ve done a very good job of “selling” that there is still some real opportunity here over these first 4 weeks. 

I think it's always been about the contract, and nothing else. And I think his agent was trying to broker some funny business.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's deflecting and being withholding, rather than giving any kind of insight. What we learned is that he knows he's out of options and has to get on the field. We probably learned that he still wants the Colts to trade him, and that probably means he's hoping that another team makes a legitimate offer between now and the deadline.

I think he had to play up the "100% healthy" part to avoid giving the Colts reason to pursue a grievance. I was hoping he'd admit that this is about business, and he knows it's not fun, but he has to do what he has to do, but that probably wouldn't be smart for him to put on the record at this point.

I would feel a lot better if he said anything indicating that he intends to play out his contract. Maybe saying the contract is an offseason issue is the closest we'll get for now. Looking forward to watching the whole presser when it gets posted.

This is it. This nails it.

He had a losing hand and has done ALL he can. Now he has to play superbly and hope someone pays up, whether Indy or otherwise. 

Your last bit is the key to fans feeling better but ask yourself, why would he do that? Why would he commit to playing out his contract? He wants to get paid.

The most important thing he said was he wants to bring a championship to the city. That says he'll give his all while he's here. Fans who want a stronger commitment need to ask themselves what they'd do in his shoes. That's as strong enough as he should give IMHO. 

Loved the presser. Loved the honesty of it. None of that kumbaya stuff. He said what he had to and nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Based on our earlier conversasions you absolutely can’t read me like an open book lol. 

You think I just dislike JT, but that’s because you disregard my arguments for why signing him to a big contract is a bad idea. I don’t dislike him. Not at all. 

When I started watching this game I fell in love with it because of RBs. Priest Holmes, Mike Alstott, Marshall Faulk. Those guys and more like them.

I love watching JT (any RB really) break off a big run. Have you seen Bijan run? DAMN! But, everything we know right now is that paying elite RBs does not help you win late in the playoffs. As much as I like watching JT, paying him will be a detriment to the team long term. 

If JT had come out saying: “I’m here 100%. I want to be a Colt. I rescinded my trade request. Let’s go win!” Do you think I’d have disliked his answers? That would have left ZERO doubt. Instead we get this noncommital whatever it is…

You don’t know me and generally only read what you want to read from my posts. 

Fair enough. I read posts in their entirety though and I can even tell who likes AR and who doesn't at this point as far as if he is going to good or bad. I am not a psychic, but I did stay at a Hilton last night chuckling homer simpson GIF

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think it's always been about the contract, and nothing else. And I think his agent was trying to broker some funny business.

Even if so, these first 4 weeks have been a real encouraging way of enticing him to stick around and let the Colts get to a point where they HAVE to make him an offer. 

If this whole ordeal had taken place in say Chicago he would probably be less inclined to get back and get to the end of the deal because that offense is an inept mess in a nosedive, and the whole franchise seems to be following suit. 

My point was, at the very least we’ve demonstrated that this is a viable spot for an RB to come in and be part of a competitive team. Taylor is the kind of guy who wants a contract in a good situation, not just the highest dollar amount contract he can get from whoever offers it. He wants to win, too. He’s a competitive guy. 

Showing that we are in fact a competitive team could have only had a positive impact on his outlook. 

Just now, Superman said:

I'm sorry you're having an off day, I hope it gets better.

What is he not being honest about? I am having a great day. I said he would play this week and wouldn't be traded. When almost everyone in here said he would never play another down here and would be traded for 4th rounder - how dumb is that? He really didn't give one bad answer, he wants to be paid so I know that.