Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

If he's healthy, he needs to be in a timeshare at worst, and starting at best. No more excuses. We can take so much pressure off Richardson with Taylor and Moss.

I agree, he needs to get around 10 touches or so and be a decoy on a few other plays, this team would be so much better. If he doesn't play this week, I still think we will win but with him, I am guaranteeing a win. homer simpson football GIF- I am so sick of Tennessee and Ryan Tannehill who is so average, I hope we blow them out! 

• Like 6

I'm gonna stay with my original belief that JT will never play another down for us.

Right now, he's doing what the league demands in order to not get fined, and have this year wiped and have to start all over again.

He was on PUP all of training camp.

He spent the first 4 weeks on PUP.

He now has 21 Practice Days, without officially having to play at all.

That takes him to within a week of the Oct 31 trade deadline.

He's made it absolutely clear that he doesn't want to play with us.  He doesn't want to put on this uniform again.

I don't think we'll see him play.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My guess is he practices for at least a week before being activated, maybe all 3. 

Not sure why 1 or 2 more practices would make a difference whether or not he plays. He is an All-Pro Vet RB. I am pretty sure he knows what he is doing. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't start him this week but definitely play him to get some rust off now. You play the players that give you the best chance to win or that helps give you a better chance to win. What's he going to do if doesn't play, eat popcorn on the sideline when he is 100% healthy?

21 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm gonna stay with my original belief that JT will never play another down for us.

Right now, he's doing what the league demands in order to not get fined, and have this year wiped and have to start all over again.

He's made it absolutely clear that he doesn't want to play with us.  He doesn't want to put on this uniform again.

I disagree, we will see. You are saying he will never play another down for us, that is pretty bold. If you are right, I will admit I was wrong and say you called it. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I disagree, we will see. You are saying he will never play another down for us, that is pretty bold. If you are right, I will admit I was wrong and say you called it. 

I won't mind being wrong on this one.

But the trend has been pretty boldly in front of our faces.  He's doing whatever is required without having to put on the uniform.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure why 1 or 2 more practices would make a difference whether or not he plays. He is an All-Pro Vet RB. I am pretty sure he knows what he is doing. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't start him this week but definitely play him to get some rust off now. You play the players that give you the best chance to win or that helps give you a better chance to win. What's he going to do if doesn't play, eat popcorn on the sideline when he is 100% healthy?

Not debating that. I’m thinking it’ll be done to head off any potential problems if JT comes back and gets “re-inured” right away. If he comes back and gets “injured” right away, not only will the media be screaming that the Colts rushed him back but it would give merit to the rumored claims from JTs camp that the colts “encourage” players to play through injuries. 

but

But if you take the full 21 days or as much of it as you can, then it’s harder for JT or anyone to claim he didn’t get enough practice time for conditioning and that led to whatever injury he may suffer. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not debating that. I’m thinking it’ll be done to head off any potential problems if JT comes back and gets “re-inured” right away. If he comes back and gets “injured” right away, not only will the media be screaming that the Colts rushed him back but it would give merit to the rumored claims from JTs camp that the colts “encourage” players to play through injuries. 

but

But if you take the full 21 days or as much of it as you can, then it’s harder for JT or anyone to claim he didn’t get enough practice time for conditioning and that led to whatever injury he may suffer. 

Steichen made it clear yesterday it will be a joint decision with JT when he will play. 

40 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Up to 178 pages, is this the World Record or did Andrew’s sudden retirement get more? For all of the Historians on here. 

I feel like we had a random FA WR thread that went several hundred pages back in 2013. 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

We need a new FA/Draft WR thread now too... 

I'd love to have a stud WR, but I think the QB and coach need to show some willingness to use the WRs with any kind of consistency. Richardson is missing some opportunities, the pass pro isn't great, and Steichen is really scheming everything up right now. Everyone likes to scream about "SEPARATION!!!" but I don't see us asking a lot out of our WRs so far. That's based on a limited viewing of some coaches film.

I'm also in a weird place with Pittman. I think he's a great player to have on a team like ours, and I mostly want to keep him. But I'm thrilled about what I think his price tag will be. I'd also be open to letting him walk if it meant bringing in a game changer, but I don't really think that's on the table. We're not breaking the bank for anyone this year, and it's hard to see Ballard spending a high first on a receiver. Although the rumors are he wanted a big WR in return for JT, so maybe I'm wrong...

There's also the mystery about Alec Pierce (I think it's scheme, but also some lack of focus/intensity on his part). And I think we should carve out a bigger role for McKenzie, he always seems to be making a defender miss, as long as he catches the ball first... 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'd love to have a stud WR, but I think the QB and coach need to show some willingness to use the WRs with any kind of consistency. Richardson is missing some opportunities, the pass pro isn't great, and Steichen is really scheming everything up right now. Everyone likes to scream about "SEPARATION!!!" but I don't see us asking a lot out of our WRs so far. That's based on a limited viewing of some coaches film.

I'm also in a weird place with Pittman. I think he's a great player to have on a team like ours, and I mostly want to keep him. But I'm thrilled about what I think his price tag will be. I'd also be open to letting him walk if it meant bringing in a game changer, but I don't really think that's on the table. We're not breaking the bank for anyone this year, and it's hard to see Ballard spending a high first on a receiver.

There's also the mystery about Alec Pierce (I think it's scheme, but also some lack of focus/intensity on his part). And I think we should carve out a bigger role for McKenzie, he always seems to be making a defender miss, as long as he catches the ball first... 

Regarding Pierce, I don't see a separation issue with him.  He needs to be consistent though.  I'm looking forward to some deep balls to him down the field.  Just in the plays I saw from the JT Sullivan QB breakdown, he was getting open.   Plays just weren't designed to go to him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm also in a weird place with Pittman. I think he's a great player to have on a team like ours, and I mostly want to keep him. But I'm thrilled about what I think his price tag will be. I'd also be open to letting him walk if it meant bringing in a game changer, but I don't really think that's on the table. We're not breaking the bank for anyone this year, and it's hard to see Ballard spending a high first on a receiver. Although the rumors are he wanted a big WR in return for JT, so maybe I'm wrong...

Regarding Pittman, I feel the same.  I just want a guy who consistently gets open, and catches everything, and can stretch the field.  I will say Pittman did get robbed of a flag in the endzone.  That facemask was terrible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

Regarding Pittman, I feel the same.  I just want a guy who consistently gets open, and catches everything, and can stretch the field.  I will say Pittman did get robbed of a flag in the endzone.  That facemask was terrible.

He doesn't necessarily stretch the field, but he does the other stuff. He's tough, physical, does the dirty work, never complains (and he's had plenty of reason to complain), etc. He's a really good possession receiver, who was on pace for nearly 1,500 yards. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Agreed on the facemask.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Are we not asking a lot of them because Steichen wants highly schemed offense with Richardson right now? Or are we not asking a lot of them because they haven't shown to be able to do a lot? 

I think I want Pittman on the team. We don't need to be getting rid off our best pass-catchers right now or replacing them. We need to be adding to them. Add a beast(MHJ?) in the room AND still have Pittman as our WR2. In today's NFL 1 good receiver is not enough. A lot of teams have 2-3-4 reliable pass-catching targets(I include TEs here) on the field at the same time... and they keep adding more. 

I had high hopes for Pierce. I've been pretty disappointed so far. He doesn't seem to be strong at the catch point at all. I don't trust him to catch any contested ball right now. I don't know what to think of McKenzie. He seems shifty but he has some boneheaded decisions both as a returner and as a WR. I honestly am not sweating him not playing much. 

BTW Brock Bowers is getting insane hype right now at TE. I still haven't watched much of him because I'm not super interested in this Georgia team, but the highlights are interesting. Seems to be really competitive and even though his size is not a prototypical TE size, he's getting tons of yard after contact, bouncing off of defenders, trucking them... carrying tacklers on his back for extra yards. This in addition to him being really mobile athlete. 

But yah... IMO we need weapons. We need to give RIchardson everything he needs to be successful and to develop his passing game. And IMO our current receiving weapons are not good enough and they have not been helping Richardson so far this year. Give him his AJ Brown/Devonta Smith... give him his Stefon Diggs, give him his Jamarr Chase, give him his Tyreek/Waddle. Then lets see how his passing evolves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

My guess is he practices for at least a week before being activated, maybe all 3. 

I think players who have been holding out and come back too soon tend to get injured more.

I hope he's in football shape.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Are we not asking a lot of them because Steichen wants highly schemed offense with Richardson right now? Or are we not asking a lot of them because they haven't shown to be able to do a lot? 

Right now I'm thinking it's the first option. We have an inexperienced QB and questionable pass pro. Scheme away. I also think this is the trend in the NFL, there aren't a lot of technical route runners, it's mostly about HWS and manipulating zone coverage. 

Pittman and Pierce aren't super technical guys to begin with, so it makes sense to scheme this way. But I'd like to see a more concerted effort to threaten downfield. We saw some this week, but it seemed more improvised than schemed. I want to see the play from preseason when Pierce dropped the TD -- max pro, three man route, take a shot and let your guy make a play. 

I think I want Pittman on the team. We don't need to be getting rid off our best pass-catchers right now or replacing them. We need to be adding to them. Add a beast(MHJ?) in the room AND still have Pittman as our WR2. In today's NFL 1 good receiver is not enough. A lot of teams have 2-3-4 reliable pass-catching targets(I include TEs here) on the field at the same time... and they keep adding more. 

No objection here, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for Ballard to do something he's never done before. 

I had high hopes for Pierce. I've been pretty disappointed so far. He doesn't seem to be strong at the catch point at all. I don't trust him to catch any contested ball right now. I don't know what to think of McKenzie. He seems shifty but he has some boneheaded decisions both as a returner and as a WR. I honestly am not sweating him not playing much. 

Agreed here also, Pierce isn't finishing, and that's the biggest problem with him. I know we disagree on McKenzie, and I'm not trying to make him a featured player. But we basically only play 3 WRs right now, and two of them get 90% of the snaps. And we run screens to Pittman, where we could run screens to McKenzie (or Downs), with Pittman blocking. I don't get the workload assignment at all. 

BTW Brock Bowers is getting insane hype right now at TE. I still haven't watched much of him because I'm not super interested in this Georgia team, but the highlights are interesting. Seems to be really competitive and even though his size is not a prototypical TE size, he's getting tons of yard after contact, bouncing off of defenders, trucking them... carrying tacklers on his back for extra yards. This in addition to him being really mobile athlete. 

But yah... IMO we need weapons. We need to give RIchardson everything he needs to be successful and to develop his passing game. And IMO our current receiving weapons are not good enough and they have not been helping Richardson so far this year. Give him his AJ Brown/Devonta Smith... give him his Stefon Diggs, give him his Jamarr Chase, give him his Tyreek/Waddle. Then lets see how his passing evolves. 

I've seen some of Bowers, he looks really promising. Probably top 10 kind of guy, depending on the rest of the draft class.

And yeah, we need weapons, and if we can start building around Richardson (I think we can), then it's a good time to make a run at a high level pass catcher.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2023 at 11:58 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope Taylor plays and reels off a 75-yard TD run so the haters can go kick rocks. That is what I think of it. Jonathan Taylor Nfl GIF by The Undroppables

Yes!  and fires his agent.  and apologizes for listening to his agent.  and says he's here to stay if they'll have him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Geez, got any more nuggets of positivity you’d like to share?

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well Holder, the thing is, JT and his agent were nonsense'ing. They thought they could strong-arm the Colts, but instead they got a load of reality thrown in their face.

All the "He wants a trade", "He's never playing for the Colts again", "The Colts did him wrong" was just made up nonsense by JT and his team in an effort to inspire sympathy from outsiders looking in. And you bit on it. HARD.

• Thanks 1