Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Chris Johnson did, with the Titans. Zeke did, with the Cowboys.

Chris Johnson signed his first contract before the new rookie wage scale (came in 2012), but good call on Zeke. But unless there others, that would be only one holdout while on their rookie rookie contract in the 11 offseasons since the rookie wage scale came into place. There definitely may be others, but the point stands that it isn't exactly common for a player to hold out while still on the rookie contract, it usually doesn't come until after their first contract.

7 minutes ago, pkbrux said:

Chris Johnson signed his first contract before the new rookie wage scale (came in 2012), but good call on Zeke. But unless there others, that would be only one holdout while on their rookie rookie contract in the 11 off seasons since the rookie wage scale came into place. There definitely may be others, but the point stands that it isn't exactly common for a player to hold out while still on the rookie contract, it usually doesn't come until after their first contract.

Well, it has happened, and we have to deal with it with our JT, whether we like it or not. It is what it is. :) 

If he didn't pass a physical, it has to be a contract driven by incentives, IMO. Something like 4 years $32 mil. with $20 mil. guaranteed, with $2 mil. bonus every year if he passes a physical and another $2 mil. bonus every year if he plays 75% of the games, something like that.

That would add up to 4 years $48 mil. if he stays healthy and passes physicals every year to play 75% of the games each year. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, it has happened, and we have to deal with it with our JT, whether we like it or not. It is what it is. :) 

If he didn't pass a physical, it has to be a contract driven by incentives, IMO. Something like 4 years $32 mil. with $20 mil. guaranteed, with $2 mil. bonus every year if he passes a physical and another $2 mil. bonus every year if he plays 75% of the games, something like that.

That would add up to 4 years $48 mil. if he stays healthy and passes physicals every year to play 75% of the games each year. 

Well it clearly happened, was just responding to the poster who says that hold outs like this happen all the time. Holdouts like this particular one, do not happen all the time.

As for the contract portion, I don't want to give him any new contract. Prior to this hold in, I didnt want to extend him. I would have just franchised him after this year and then moved on. I would not give any RB a big contract, and certainly would not give one to an incomplete back like JT.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

What do you mean by "incomplete," and how does that relate to his value in the NFL?

I mean he is not good in pass protection and not a natural receiver. I've seen a lot of pushback here on his receiving...he is fine running screens or short dump offs, but he is isn't running WR routes like a McCaffrey.

If I am paying a back, he needs to be like Edge. Great running the ball, elite pass protector and very natural receiving skills. And even when we had Edge, the Colts didn't pay him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pkbrux said:

I mean he is not good in pass protection and not a natural receiver. I've seen a lot of pushback here on his receiving...he is fine running screens or short dump offs, but he is isn't running WR routes like a McCaffrey.

If I am paying a back, he needs to be like Edge. Great running the ball, elite pass protector and very natural receiving skills. And even when we had Edge, the Colts didn't pay him.

Can we agree that no one is paying a RB for their pass blocking? 

I don't get the concern about his pass catching. He's not McCaffrey, but he can produce as a receiver if he gets targeted. 

I'm still not lining up to pay a RB, but I don't think Taylor is deficient.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

Can we agree that no one is paying a RB for their pass blocking? 

I don't get the concern about his pass catching. He's not McCaffrey, but he can produce as a receiver if he gets targeted. 

I'm still not lining up to pay a RB, but I don't think Taylor is deficient.

I absolutely think a RB's pass blocking skills are a factor in if you want to extend a RB. When you can't pick up the blitz, it limits your ability to have them on the field on third down.

Taylor is a below average receiving RB, not sure why everyone wants to make it seem like it is anything other than that. He has below average hands and has an extremely limited route tree as a receiver. If you can get him the ball on a swing pass in space and allow him to build up speed he can make big gains, but he is nothing more than a C- as a receiver. If I am paying a RB, I want him to be able to do more than what he is able to do.

Taylor is elite in a traditional "take the handoff from the QB" sense, but in all the other ways you can separate yourself in modern football he is below average.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

There are varying degrees to a holdout…and Irsay had already made comments previous than just that one. What made this holdout more contentious wasnt only JT…the Colts made this worse as well. I’m not going to place all the blame on JT. Like I said lots of teams have holdouts…it’s very common. This one took a strong left turn when? Again…JT and his agent started us down this road…the Colts haven’t done much imo to fix it….and in the end..as a paying consumer I’m left unhappy because in the end I just want the best product we can put on the field and that isn’t happening. So yeah…I put it on both sides. Always said that but apparently If I’m not lock step in support of Irsay and the team my opinion isn’t valid.

I get, wanting the Colts to give in and increase pay or just trade him, and I also want to see Taylor back on the field but the problem is when Taylor's agent decided on this course of action if the Colts relented it would set a bad precedent for future contracts. It would also kind of be insulting for other players like Pittman who also want a contract and are doing it the right way of still showing up and saying "hey, I will show my worth on the field and the contract part will get done." 

How I see it, not relenting is how the Colts will have a better product in the future because it tells the players if you come in and work, we will give you a contract (which they usually overpay the homegrown players, which has always driven me crazy). The funny part is Irsay loves to overpay the star players on the team, he has a long history of it and even intervening on the players half to get a deal done (TY Hilton's last Colts contract).

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think his agent is a jerk with an axe to grind, I definitely don't like what I know about him. And I think there's a Miami agenda somewhere in there.

But I think it's business. Maybe I'm ignoring the obvious, but I feel like if the Colts had been open to contract negotiations over the summer, Taylor's side wouldn't have taken as hard of a line. But I understand why the Colts didn't want to make an offer, and I agree with their decision, so it is what is is. And at the same time, I understand why Taylor doesn't like it.

Adam Scheftler has even reported that it is Taylor's side that won't even come to the negotiation table and he wouldn't be surprised if he passes his physical at the end of the 4 games, be active for 2 games then say he has another injury and not play for the rest of the season. How my perspective is if Taylor wants to play hard ball then the organization should do it too, but I would give Pittman a contract just to show if you do it the right way you get a contract.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed, but I’d add it’s been played bad by both sides. JT and his agent played this horribly. The way his agent was acting on Twitter and JT playing into his “injury” were bad moves. On the Colts side, they should have traded him as soon as contract negotiations broke down in June/July. If he really asked for $16 million like it has been rumored, then you should’ve shut it down there and helped him find a trade partner then.

Now the guy you’ve basically said isn’t that valuable is up for trade, and you want a valuable pick in return? Kind of a combination of ignorance and greed there.

Show where anyone from the Colts has said they don’t value him. In fact, they have said the opposite. No one offered the Colts even a 2nd Rd pick for a franchise RB. Why would the Colts extend  someone early who hasn’t shown he’s healthy? Especially with a new system and coach in place. Especially after the Leonard contract 

5 hours ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Even when the colts make decisions that essentially are helping Jt media is trying to spin it negatively. No way if they activated him would he have been ready to go week 1. We got a new offense and he is coming off a long injury. Being put on pup hurts the colts way more than it does Jt. He still gets paid no matter what but the team loses its main weapon and safety blanket for AR.

Wrong.  If he doesn’t come off the PUP by week 6 his contract rolls over until next year. Yes, he gets paid and it accrues toward his pension, but it does not accrue toward free-agency. He would be in the same exact spot next year making $4.5 million a year from free agency while the Colts hold two years of the franchise tag in their back pocket. The Colts are playing hard ball with his MMA agent. 

On 8/29/2023 at 4:16 PM, 1959Colts said:

So he's physically unable to perform... Unless he had happened to get traded? Then he would have been fine?

NOPE - the team trading for him would have made "passing a physical" a part of the transaction.  

You see that all the time on the waiver wire transactions.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I think his agent is a jerk with an axe to grind, I definitely don't like what I know about him.

I wonder if shaq Leonard had said anything to the agent.  I keep thinking he’ll fire him for ruining his team but I’m probably being naive 

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure I agree with this. Blaming Saturday for forcing him to play. I can’t read Zach’s tweet because he has me banned. Saturday told Shaq to shut it down.

I'm calling nonsense. I believe this is what JT and his agent are telling media now. I don't believe this is why JT asked to be traded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm calling nonsense. I believe this is what JT and his agent are telling media now. I don't believe this is why JT asked to be traded.

I don’t either.  Matter of fact guys like Kevin Bowen kept saying how JT was really in tune with his body by telling colts he couldn’t play at times. They were praising JT for this last season. Ballard said today he would never force a player to play hurt.

41 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure I agree with this. Blaming Saturday for forcing him to play. I can’t read Zach’s tweet because he has me banned. Saturday told Shaq to shut it down.

For whatever it's worth. Malki Kawa's latest likes are to the following tweets, so there might be something to it:

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I know colts don’t want to extend JT yet but I wonder if there was ever a thought of st lest giving him some extra money this year. Maybe it would of made him feel appreciated.

How many other players are you going to just give extra money to without an extension? Because I'd love to hear them explain to the locker room why he is getting more money for no apparent reason other than to make him feel better. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pkbrux said:

How many other players are you going to just give extra money to without an extension? Because I'd love to hear them explain to the locker room why he is getting more money for no apparent reason other than to make him feel better. 

no apparent reason? 

Taylor sure seemed perfectly happy after his surgery. This seems to be a lot of made up none sense to try and get paid earlier.