Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Nice post.

Does anyone get anxious when it shows Jackie Daytona reacted to one of your post? Wandering what post is about to be hit with a confused emoji?

I feel like I hit the lottery, when it is a like.

I just hit the trifecta.

Laugh

Confused

Don't know how to feel right now.

Confused Listen To Your Heart GIF by The Bachelor

Here's a confused face for you so you get the full house of emojis.... 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Who says it needs to be a contender?  Stupid trades are made all the time.

I wouldn't mind coming out winning a stupid RB trade since the Colts are the last loser from a stupid RB trade in the NFL.

I just think a contender would more likely offer a higher round pick considering they are in win now mode so they want to load up as much as possible.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

BREAKING!!

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere… 

Both ESPN and NFL.com are reporting the Colts have given Taylor and his agent permission to seek a trade.   

Colts want a first, or a package of picks that would equal a first.  

Again, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. 

If you sight a mountain Lion, rest assured it's seen you for an hour, at least.

cats mountain GIF

Let JT seek a trade, good.

let the market determine what he should get paid.  Let a team trade for him.  And if we do get good capital, we could use it to possibly move up and draft Marvin Harrison if needed or grab another player to continue building this team.

I have no problem with this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, azcolt said:

A defender of Bob Irsay. That must be a lonely place. If you were going to refute my comments it would have been more sensible to say Jim Irsay is a much better person and probably also felt a little bad about Johnny Unitas and the Mayflower.

If someone tried to take your business, you’d move it too. 

Bob Irsay had his faults and a lot of them. He was a terrible owner. There is zero denying that. But leaving Baltimore, his hand was forced.  The fact that 31 other owners felt the same way and gave him permission to do so, only serves to confirm that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

BREAKING!!

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere… 

Both ESPN and NFL.com are reporting the Colts have given Taylor and his agent permission to seek a trade.   

Colts want a first, or a package of picks that would equal a first.  

Again, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. 

Not really breaking news. You were about 5 hours behind the “breaking news” part haha

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A contender is likely to pay the most in any trade.   They have the most incentive hoping the deal would lead to a deep playoff run. 

What’s the incentive for a non-contender to overpay?   

I’d trade him to the worst team in the league, with the worst run blocking OL and the worst QB. Not sure which team that is, but that’d ne where I’d be looking

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superman said:

The primary reason teams do sign and trades in the NBA is because the current team can give the player more money and years, so the current team needs to execute the contract. But because of the way signing bonuses are allocated in the NFL, it generally doesn't make sense for the current team to execute the contract with the player, so it's not really a "sign and trade." 

But it's not a gentleman's agreement; it's all contractual. With the Buckner deal, the two teams agreed to trade compensation, then the Colts negotiated the contract, then Buckner had to pass a physical. Only after all of that was the trade and the contract finalized. If Taylor finds a team willing to meet the Colts' price to trade for JT, then the Colts would grant that team permission to negotiate a contract with JT, and the trade and contract would be made official once the new team clears him physically.

The concern would be that the potential trade would leak before it's official, then he fails the physical and the deal comes undone. That could be a huge problem, especially if the Colts aren't willing to match the contract.

Gotcha thanks.  Makes sense.

Like The Dude said, this case has a lot of ins outs and what have yous.

6 hours ago, Coltsbluefan said:

If I’m the Colts I’m not doing Taylor and that so called agent of his any favors when it comes to trading him.No way im sending him to the Chiefs,Bills,Ravens,Dolphins,or any other Superbowl contender,I don’t want to see him get rewarded with a Superbowl with the way he’s been here.Send him to the Cardinals or Bucs.

If I’m the Colts, I’m simply trying to get the most value out of him.

• Like 3

@Nickster

Part of the problem with how the Aaron Rodgers trade happened is that the Packers let Rodgers go out and talk to teams without stipulating trade compensation first. So when Rodgers goes out and says 'I intend to play for the Jets,' now the Jets can wait out the Packers, knowing that they're the only game in town. 

Maybe that would have gone the same way no matter what; it's no surprise that he wanted to team back up with Hackett. But the Packers didn't do themselves any favors by not stipulating trade compensation in advance.

as long as it’s done before, it’s safe.  We ain’t getting much I wouldn’t think, but weirder things have happened.  The Browns uncharacteristically fleeced a team once for a first for a RB.  Then they went back to being Brown like and spent it on Manziel.

Personally I have zero beef with how Taylor has handled his situation. This is how contract disputes work. It's never pretty, and if you really want to force the hand of the other party, you have to get your hands dirty. Something about breaking eggs to make an omelet... I don't know for sure what Taylor wants, or how it will work out, but his only way to wrestle some leverage is to break some eggs.

I do think he misplayed his hand. Especially if he's not healthy. I think there are only so many teams that are willing to give a RB a big, multi year contract, and the Colts are one of them. The primary reason they haven't offered him said contract so far is because they don't know if he's healthy or not. (Or worse, they know that he's NOT healthy. Which is a big problem, especially for him.) And then he and his agent publicly antagonized the team that would potentially want to keep/pay him, which has caused a portion of the fan base to turn on him. But I don't blame him for wanting to get a new contract right now, rather than playing out another year of what should be his physical prime on a rookie contract, with a team that might not even want to feature him in the run game.

To me, it's the business. It's not fun, but it's also not personal. So I haven't flipped on him, I'm not mad at him, and I actually hope he stays. But I don't think he's picked the right strategy here. If he gets a fat contract in a trade, then I'll be wrong. I just don't really see that happening...

You gotta click the link, and then get to scrolling.

Ditto.  Dudes doin business.  It looks like bad business but it’s just business.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I’d trade him to the worst team in the league, with the worst run blocking OL and the worst QB. Not sure which team that is, but that’d ne where I’d be looking

I wouldn’t be personally vindictive against him.  I’d simply attempt to get the most value out of him to help the Colts win in the future.

Hes done nothing wrong but he’s done something dumb.  Ie. No leverage.

it only takes one team though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah this is the ugly side of sports people talk about.  It’s been a long time since the Colts have had a contract standoff and fans aren’t used to seeing it here.  I am not mad at Taylor or the Colts and understand what both want and why they want it.  Note understanding doesn’t mean agreeing with it or agreeing with how they went about it.

Last camp?  

7 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

For those leaning into Miami being a strong option....The dolphins might be, but they have $11 mil. In cap space today, and next year they are set to be $47 mil OVER the cap....  I don't know if any deal is there to be made.

Those numbers mean nothing if they decide to go all in. We've seen teams move money on a whim in the short term to load up on talent. If they think Taylor is the final piece for them, the cap space won't be the problem. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rayski said:

Sad to see this happening but it is the way of the markets. Simple supply and demand. They way the league been flooded with WR talent the past 3-4 years, it's a matter of time till similar things happen w that position.

Organic circles. 

There is. Difference with WR though. It’s a passing  league so WR are more valuable and they don’t have a short shelf life.

Holder just said his understanding is Taylor did travel with the colts. Kind of puts some fire into maybe eagles are thinking about trading for him lol.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we want to move him to the NFC, The Detroit Lions that lost Jamaal Williams and The Cowboys/Vikings are also good candidates. I bet the NFC North wants him badly enough, and that is where he most likely goes, just a hunch.

Cowboys didn’t re sign their own RB. I doubt they would sign Taylor.

Just now, Matabix said:

Let's say we don't trade JT, he plays out his contract and doesn't resign. Would we receive a compensatory pick for him. What would it be?

Still not sure how compensatory picks work.

We will unless we sign another free agent of similar value. If he gets the 16M he wants it would most probably be a 3d round comp pick. Or 4th... depending on the market. The last 3d rounder last year was for Mike McGlinchey who signed for 17.5M a year. The first 4th round compensatory pick was Zach Allen for 15.25M a year... so ... he would be at about the border between 3d and 4th... IF he gets what he seems to want. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, we have "crossed the Rubicon" on this situation. JT doesn't want to be a Colt and the Colts don't want someone who doesn't want to be part of the organization. I would take a second and a fifth or something like that for him. Is he more valuable than that? Who knows. He is worth what someone is willing to give for him. Simple Economics. 

2 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Unfortunately, we have "crossed the Rubicon" on this situation. JT doesn't want to be a Colt and the Colts don't want someone who doesn't want to be part of the organization. I would take a second and a fifth or something like that for him. Is he more valuable than that? Who knows. He is worth what someone is willing to give for him. Simple Economics. 

We will be lucky if we got a straight up high 3rd rounder for him since he is not an all purpose back.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we want to move him to the NFC, The Detroit Lions that lost Jamaal Williams and The Cowboys/Vikings are also good candidates. I bet the NFC North wants him badly enough, and that is where he most likely goes, just a hunch.

Doubt there is any team desperate enough to give up 1st or second round pick for a RB coming off injury and wants a new contract.  May be able to get a 3rd at best.  Other than Minnesota, NFC North is loaded very good RBs. And the Vikings are trying to shed contracts not take on another burden.

1 minute ago, Bearzzz said:

Doubt there is any team desperate enough to give up 1st or second round pick for a RB coming off injury and wants a new contract.  May be able to get a 3rd at best.  Other than Minnesota, NFC North is loaded very good RBs. And the Vikings are trying to shed contracts not take on another burden.

Oh yeah, if he is getting traded, we are not getting more than a high 3rd rounder, tops.

I would take a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder that could become a future 3rd rounder if he plays 75% of the games.

3 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

You may be right, but there is always a team willing to overpay. (Trent Richardson cough cough)

2 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

You may be right, but there is always a team willing to overpay. (Trent Richardson cough cough)

Lol, I think the RB market has changed a lot since the days of the Richardson trade. It has just taking some players a while to accept it. 

1 minute ago, Bearzzz said:

Lol, I think the RB market has changed a lot since the days of the Richardson trade. It has just taking some players a while to accept it. 

True, but if all the GM's (and maybe owners) were at a poker table, who would not be able to figure out who the mark is?

I would think that this wouldn't take long to resolve

There would only be 2-3 teams that need a RB to put them over the top

Maybe its 5 phone calls

I REALLY want the trade partner to be Miami, and get a second and their starting RG

BUT......

My gut says that this will turn out like Lamar Jackson

He demanded a trade

The bridges were burnt

No hope for repair

And then they weren't

My bet is that no one wants to give up the requested compensation

JT will be a Colt by Sept

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would think that this wouldn't take long to resolve

There would only be 2-3 teams that need a RB to put them over the top

Maybe its 5 phone calls

I REALLY want the trade partner to be Miami, and get a second and their starting RG

BUT......

My gut says that this will turn out like Lamar Jackson

He demanded a trade

The bridges were burnt

No hope for repair

And then they weren't

My bet is that no one wants to give up the requested compensation

JT will be a Colt by Sept

I agree with this. I’d be really surprised if any team wants to give the Colts a 1st or the equivalent AND pay JT what he wants. 

He’ll either play for the Colts this season or sit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree with this. I’d be really surprised if any team wants to give the Colts a 1st or the equivalent AND pay JT what he wants. 

The Colts aren't serious about trading JT.  No one is paying a 1st round to trade for a RB when they will barely draft a RB 1st round and have to pay them pennies for 5 years?

This is just like telling someone, "Yes, I'm willing to sell my Tops Platinum Edition 1 of 1 Peyton Manning rookie card for........$1 jabillion dollars!"

If Irsay was going to take this route, he should've done it weeks ago........

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think the 1st round ask is just the starting point. In no world do I think that's the only thing the Colts will accept. In any negotiation, you start high and work your way down to something more reasonable so both parties feel like they made out on the deal. 

He's a first round talent and still young but I think the Colts would accept quite a bit of different combinations of picks/players. 

To your point, I could see him still playing for the Colts because teams may not even want to negotiate anything more than a 3rd considering his contract situation and the "health" concerns. 

I don't see him sitting the year. It's not beneficial for him to do so. That would turn far too many teams off of him, add another year removed from when he was playing well and would do absolutely nothing for him contract wise come next year. If he wants the money, he plays well this year for the Colts or gets the trade he's looking for.