Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Just now, csmopar said:

So can we just put JT on IR already and end the silliness?

IR is a slippery slope.

If we put him on now he would be out for the season, but would probably say he was recovered and try to get an injury settlement and want released. So I don't see that happening.

It's all about to come to a head soon enough.

• Like 1

The team is undoubtedly better with JT playing, that’s undeniable. However, and it kills me to say that this situation has been beyond disappointing and I hope that it’s all to blame on his agent. I don’t fault or blame him for wanting more money because who doesn’t want more money? I think he should have held off until after this season to do this. The players can say it hasn’t been a distraction all they want, but I’d be more than surprised if no one was taken back by it all and from a guy no less who said he wanted to retire a Colt. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

People who bag on Smith have been sold a bill of goods.   

Those PFF scores are good.   They may not be elite, but two scores (run and pass blocking) of 75-plus are good.   Many here act like Smith was terrible last year.   He wasn’t. 

Smith has a track record of being very good.   He should be better this year.  

And I'm expecting him to, but the level we expect from Braden just wasn't there last year. That's all I'm saying. Hopefully he rebounds

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

And I'm expecting him to, but the level we expect from Braden just wasn't there last year. That's all I'm saying. Hopefully he rebounds

I understand your position.   But some posters here think Smith was terrible last year and should be moved inside to RG.   

Not only was Smith the highest graded OL for the Colts last year, most teams would be happy with a RT who can post grades of 75 in both pass and run blocking.   And that was his off year when the whole line was badly subpar.   

Im expecting Smith to be better this year.  I’ll be disappointed if he’s not.   

• Like 6

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

But some posters here think Smith was terrible last year and should be moved inside to RG

I don't think that is why the majority of people want him moved to RG. Definitely remember seeing some of that talk early last season, when he struggled a little bit, though.

Most just see it as a viable option(with current roster)to improving the line as a whole.

If Freeland develops anything like Raimann(just see them as similar in a lot of ways), and is ready by week 6-7 to contribute it will come down to **Fries or Freeland(assuming everyone healthy). Which playier is better for the team? If it is Freeland then Smith is more than capable of moving back inside and playing maybe even better than he has played outside. Which is pretty dang good. Either way our middle would be solidified.

**That's if the line is struggling at the time. If they are playing well, then it's a moot point. Freeland would be solid depth at that point.

Hoping to bring in a couple new guys this week.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

The team is undoubtedly better with JT playing, that’s undeniable. However, and it kills me to say that this situation has been beyond disappointing and I hope that it’s all to blame on his agent. I don’t fault or blame him for wanting more money because who doesn’t want more money? I think he should have held off until after this season to do this. The players can say it hasn’t been a distraction all they want, but I’d be more than surprised if no one was taken back by it all and from a guy no less who said he wanted to retire a Colt. 

I understand wanting to blame his agent and not him but his agent works for him.  If his agent was doing anything JT didn’t want he’d change his agent.  In fact he changed to this agent when the nice guy tact didn’t get him what he wanted.  In short he knew what he was doing hiring this agent, and his agent is doing exactly what Taylor wants hm too.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, w87r said:

IR is a slippery slope.

If we put him on now he would be out for the season, but would probably say he was recovered and try to get an injury settlement and want released. So I don't see that happening.

It's all about to come to a head soon enough.

Maybe but they could always bring him back if healthy. It’s just stinks of milking an injury to avoid his contracted duties. That or something else was done on that surgery that he’s kept quiet on

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Maybe but they could always bring him back if healthy. It’s just stinks of milking an injury to avoid his contracted duties. That or something else was done on that surgery that he’s kept quiet on

They can't bring him back at all if they put him on IR before final cut down.

They would have to keep him at roster cut down, then put him on IR after, to bring him back. 

Yeah it's not a great look for Taylor. Hopefully we get offered a trade we can't refuse? But the guys injured right? Taylor's camp should of never used the injury as a hold in tactic. They should of just held out and asked for money.

Faking the recovery from injury, has made the situation much harder to navigate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

They can't bring him back at all if they put him on IR before final cut down.

They would have to keep him at roster cut down, then put him on IR after, to bring him back. 

Yeah it's not a great look for Taylor. Hopefully we get offered a trade we can't refuse? But the guys injured right? Taylor's camp should of never used the injury as a hold in tactic. They should of just held out and asked for money.

Faking the recovery from injury, has made the situation much harder to navigate.

Exactly. JT really has no leverage here honestly 

• Like 3

Just now, csmopar said:

Exactly. JT really has no leverage here honestly 

And he did it to himself, by using the injury as an excuse.

Trade value would seem to be at a low(although he would have to pass a physical for the other team) Colts aren't going to give him away.

Hard to give more money here now, because we need to see how he has recovered. Which he claims he hasn't.

Where of which, if he would of just held out, like Chris Jones, there would be no questions about health. Trade value is much higher and a better chance if he passed physical that the Colts might've been likely to offer him an extension. Maybe not, but maybe.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

And he did it to himself, by using the injury as an excuse.

Trade value would seem to be at a low(although he would have to pass a physical for the other team) Colts aren't going to give him away.

Hard to give more money here now, because we need to see how he has recovered. Which he claims he hasn't.

Where of which, if he would have just held out, like Chris Jones, there would be no questions about health. Trade value is much higher and a better chance if he passed physical that the Colts might've been likely to offer him an extension. Maybe not, but maybe.

I don’t think he cares how he looks.  He just wants money, which I get.  

I also think he changed his agent after the Colts made it clear they weren’t interested in addressing his contract right now.  So he realized being nice wasn’t getting what he wanted so he decided to play hardball.  At some point in there he asked for a trade to try to get what he wants and the Colts have at least publicly said they aren’t interested in that either.  

So really the only play Taylor had left was to withhold his services.  Had he just held out he would have been subject to fines and thanks to the new CBA those can’t be forgiven.  So he decided to go the injury route to try to protect his money.  I think his plan is that he will magically get healthy when we reach the point in the season that he has to play to reach a vested season.  

It will be interesting to see how the Colts respond.  So far they have pretty much handled him with kid gloves because I think they ultimately want him to play for them this season.  Do they continue that approach or do they ramp up the pressure on JT but doing something like saying his injury is non-football related and move him to that list knowing that will probably burn any remains for the bridge between them and JT.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think he cares how he looks.  He just wants money, which I get.  

I also think he changed his agent after the Colts made it clear they weren’t interested in addressing his contract right now.  So he realized being nice wasn’t getting what he wanted so he decided to play hardball.  At some point in there he asked for a trade to try to get what he wants and the Colts have at least publicly said they aren’t interested in that either.  

So really the only play Taylor had left was to withhold his services.  Had he just held out he would have been subject to fines and thanks to the new CBA those can’t be forgiven.  So he decided to go the injury route to try to protect his money.  I think his plan is that he will magically get healthy when we reach the point in the season that he has to play to reach a vested season.  

It will be interesting to see how the Colts respond.  So far they have pretty much handled him with kid gloves because I think they ultimately want him to play for them this season.  Do they continue that approach or do they ramp up the pressure on JT but doing something like saying his injury is non-football related and move him to that list knowing that will probably burn any remains for the bridge between them and JT.  

Perhaps but now he’s back himself into a corner and all he can do is move one space back and forth delaying the inevitable or praying the Colts take mercy on him and trade him for little to nothing. Bottom line is, there’s really only three ways this goes down. He either plays for the colts when healthy, or he’s traded after getting healthy, or he goes to IR after cut downs. 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Perhaps but now he’s back himself into a corner and all he can do is move one space back and forth delaying the inevitable or praying the Colts take mercy on him and trade him for little to nothing. Bottom line is, there’s really only three ways this goes down. He either plays for the colts when healthy, or he’s traded after getting healthy, or he goes to IR after cut downs. 

Oh without question.  He never had leverage to start with so he’s trying to make it but he really can’t.  His hand was always going to be weak so the best he can do is hope with holding his services makes the Colts change their stance and he’s trying to do it in a way that makes sure he gets paid.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Oh without question.  He never had leverage to start with so he’s trying to make it but he really can’t.  His hand was always going to be weak so the best he can do is hope with holding his services makes the Colts change their stance and he’s trying to do it in a way that makes sure he gets paid.  

That's another aspect working against him too. Amongst the rest.

The team is in a transition year, where we aren't giving up on competing(anything can happen), but realize it could be a tough season. Let the cards fall where that may.

So him holding in/out really isn't hurting us as much in that aspect or financially at $4.3m. Where of which if we were one of the favorites to win it all, it would be more necessary to try and get him back out there. Even if that meant an over pay.

Everything the team has said makes sense so far.

Want to see how he looks in new offense

Need to see him healthy

Need to see if he has regressed from injury.

Most things from his side makes little to no sense

Injured, but want new contract

Injured, but want traded

Hard to achieve either one of those things like that.

Does make sense he wants more money though.

• Like 3

Just now, w87r said:

That's another aspect working against him too. Amongst the rest.

The team is in a transition year, where we aren't giving up on competing(anything can happen), but realize it could be a tough season. Let the cards fall where that may.

So him holding in/out really isn't hurting us as much in that aspect or financially at $4.3m. Where of which if we were one of the favorites to win it all, it would be more necessary to try and get him back out there. Even if that meant an over pay.

Everything the team has said makes sense so far.

Want to see how he looks in new offense

Need to see him healthy

Need to see if he has regressed from injury.

Most things from his side makes little to no sense

Injured, but want new contract

Injured, but want traded

Hard to achieve either one of those things like that.

Does make sense he wants more money though.

Oh I agree with everything the Colts have done so far.  Even being patient with this.  I think fans just want this over with one way or another.  The Colts have a clear goal.  They want him to play this year on his contract and then discuss his future once he proves he can play.  So they aren’t going to burn bridges with him unless they are left with no other option because they aren’t going to address his contract right now and I don’t think they are going to trade him either.  

For him though he doesn’t care about what makes sense.  He wants money.  I get it, he’s worked his whole life to get this second contract and get his pay day and now he’s looking at a very real chance it’s not going to happen at all.  So he’s trying to force it.  He doesn’t care about all the other factors that make things make sense or not make sense.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Point still stays. You're asking a lot of average RBs to produce enough of a run game where AR isn't the target for defenses

The starting OL only played through the 1st quarter. Two RBs had carries in 1st Q - Hull and Jackson. On 11 carries they had 49 yards - 4.45 ypc. If that's what we can expect from our "average" RBs and our starting OL that's more than adequate.

Jackson by the way had 6 of those carries for 35 yards - 5.83 ypc.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

The starting OL only played through the 1st quarter. Two RBs had carries in 1st Q - Hull and Jackson. On 11 carries they had 49 yards - 4.45 ypc. If that's what we can expect from our "average" RBs and our starting OL that's more than adequate.

Jackson by the way had 6 of those carries for 35 yards - 5.83 ypc.

You are a lot more optimistic then I am. 

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand your position.   But some posters here think Smith was terrible last year and should be moved inside to RG.   

Not only was Smith the highest graded OL for the Colts last year, most teams would be happy with a RT who can post grades of 75 in both pass and run blocking.   And that was his off year when the whole line was badly subpar.   

Im expecting Smith to be better this year.  I’ll be disappointed if he’s not.   

I think people want him moved to RG because they've always wanted him moved to RG, and they won't let it go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think he's now clearing the runway for his return. He took a week away from the team in the name of "getting treatment," now he's telling them he'll come back, and when he's 100% he'll practice and play. Still wants to be traded, but now he'll get to work at some point. He could still drag things out, even wind up on PUP for the first six weeks, but I think now he can come back and claim that he got a second opinion, started some new training to get his ankle ready, and will be ready to go in a few weeks.

And I think that could be him salvaging his standing to a small degree. Now that he understands that 7 months for a 6 week recovery is raising more questions that he expected, effectively tanking his market, he can now claim it's all behind him, and go out and prove it. He probably understands he's not going to be traded, especially with lingering questions about his ankle, and the best case for him is he plays, performs well, and either the Colts pay him during the season, or another team makes a great trade offer that causes the Colts to reconsider their no-trade stance.

Meanwhile, nothing has changed with the Colts. They've been saying 'we're not ready to talk about an extension yet, and we're definitely not going to make an offer if we don't know you're healthy.' And that continues to be the case. They flirted with some other RBs, but didn't make a panic move. The first preseason game wasn't a disaster, Deon Jackson was fine despite having missed practice all week. JT tried to play hardball, the Colts didn't budge, and now maybe he'll get to work.

He can also tell his other running backs he tried everything short of sitting out the season (which we know form Bell doesn’t work long term).  I know that doesn’t matter to us but it clearly matters to him.