Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Things appear to have calmed down in the last few days.   That’s good.  Neither side are making public statements.   That’s also good.    

My guess is Taylor will not be used in the pre-season games, or maybe only used a little bit.   So there’s plenty of time for things to get hopefully get better.  (Yes, I know, they could also get worse,  but I choose to be optimistic).

Yeah, I’m taking the no news is good news approach. 

Either they are working towards a middle ground or they’re working to honor his trade request(doubtful but never know)

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Yeah, I’m taking the no news is good news approach. 

Either they are working towards a middle ground or they’re working to honor his trade request(doubtful but never know)

I think the Irsay/Taylor meeting was to clear the air and lower the temperature so to speak.  I don’t think either side has moved on their positions but I think the Colts know they hold most if not all the cards right now and are just going to wait Taylor out and see if he’s really willing to sit out a full year for a contract no one is going to give him, not just the Colts. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think the Irsay/Taylor meeting was to clear the air and lower the temperature so to speak.  I don’t think either side has moved on their positions but I think the Colts know they hold most if not all the cards right now and are just going to wait Taylor out and see if he’s really willing to sit out a full year for a contract no one is going to give him, not just the Colts. 

They are probably taking offers for a trade too. To see what they can get and if any team is willing to offer him a extension. I still am not ruling out a trade.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They are probably taking offers for a trade too. To see what they can get and if any team is willing to offer him a extension. I still am not ruling out a trade.

Not ruling it out but it’d have to be a heck of an offer after the owner says no to trading multiple times. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

His value may be low TODAY.    But it may be higher mid-season if Taylor does well.  

And it will be much higher in early March no matter what.  By then his value may be much higher than you think. 

Now I can't remember when Leonard was originally injured so this post may be 100% wrong. I believe it started in the 2021 offseason with that ankle surgery and it lingered throughout the season, which was also when he got his contract extension. Then as we all know he pretty much didn't play in 2022, and now from leonards quotes he may never have the same burst that he used to have with him talking about 

"It's just for one, to get to the most athletic place I can be, and then I have to be the smartest guy on the field to put myself in the best position for me to make plays," he said. "So a lot more film study, just trying to understand what teams are going to do and put myself in position to make plays and understand that maybe I might have some slow tendencies, so I've just got to pick it up in another place."

So now switching back to JT, the Colts are probably getting more hesitant to give big extension to players that are coming off injuries because it has burned them before. Which makes me think they won't do an extension this offseason because they want to make sure that it won't comeback and bite them again and have a big cap hit player that is frequently injured or can't play at the same level.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:02 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly,  I let him play out the year. If Richardson becomes an elite qb, the rb position can be a rotation of talent. Having an elite and highly paid rb is a luxury they would not need because of the stress Richardson would place on the D.

I don't see having a.elite.RB as.a.luxury..... I see having the more elite players.as you.can the better.. And if you have a Elite QB. AND RB that increases your chances of having a championship contender.....a Elite WR and receiving TE added helps too. :banana:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't see having a.elite.RB as.a.luxury..... I see having the more elite players.as you.can the better.. And if you have a Elite QB. AND RB that increases your chances of having a championship contender.....a Elite WR and receiving TE added helps too. :banana:

We have neither at this time lol. Taylor is an elite runner but I think hi poor pass blocking and average pass catching leaves him out of the elite rb class

On 6/14/2023 at 7:08 PM, w87r said:

That's how many teams feel around the league.

I also wouldn't mind letting the year play out and exploring the tag at that point, unless we could agree to a deal like I posted above. It's best for both sides.

Taylor says he wants to retire a Colt, so show us.

And while I do think there are many RBs that would be just fine with Richardson, when you combine Taylor with him, it is just a defensive nightmare.

The great Payton Manning and Tom Brady didn't retire with the team that drafted them. The chances of Taylor and/or running back retiring with the team that drafted them is pretty well nil!!

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

The great Payton Manning and Tom Brady didn't retire with the team that drafted them. The chances of Taylor and/or running back retiring with the team that drafted them is pretty well nil!!

Who’s Payton Manning? Never heard of such

On 6/14/2023 at 2:25 PM, w87r said:

I would offer him a 4yr deal $48m, $10m SB with first 2 years guaranteed.

Contract look something like this.

2023 - $6,304,000 base, $2,813,482 SB, $9,117,482 total cap hit 

2024 - $8,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $10,000,000 total cap hit

2025 - $8,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $10,000,000 total cap hit

2026 - $10,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $12,000,000 total cap hit

2027 - $10,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $12,000,000 total cap hit 

That is $12m more in his pocket this season($10m SB, $2m base salary bump) $17.1m total with current remaining deal, we can use this year to bring down the average AAV of 24-27 to $11m per year.

All money 23-25 guaranteed

This is a good faith contract for Taylor and protects himself in case of injury this season or next.

If he wants more, tag em. Unless it's just a little more. I think this is a good compromise though, if he wants to see the end of the deal.

This takes him to his 28 year old season, Colts can get out of deal in 2026 and save $6m if it was needed(performance, injury, need cap room)

Wow, a lot of zeroes!

So, where does his agent(s) come into play?

It is still amazing that pro athletes get a lot of money…are they worth what they get, or are they lucky to have a great swindler…oops!…agent?:bossy:

Show him the :cash:

I wish we could see the negotiating:thinking:…nah!

1 hour ago, Mighty Blue said:

Wow, a lot of zeroes!

So, where does his agent(s) come into play?

It is still amazing that pro athletes get a lot of money…are they worth what they get, or are they lucky to have a great swindler…oops!…agent?:bossy:

Show him the :cash:

I wish we could see the negotiating:thinking:…nah!

It’s interesting to me that you find it amazing that athletes make a lot of money.  Since you say you date back to Unitas, I’m surprised at that view.   Fans don’t pay big money to watch owners play, we pay to watch the worlds best athletes, no matter the sport. 

FWIW….   Im glad athletes have agents.  I’m glad they have a union.  I’m glad they make their fair share of the pie.  I would never want it any other way.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Really, the best team for JT would be the panthers. With Reich stuck in the 1980s of football, he’d be the Reich fit and probably get his money he’s asking. The problem is, I don’t think they have the draft capital to do it. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, w87r said:

He has the 17th most yards after 3 seasons.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-rushing-yards-first-3-seasons#:~:text=Eric Dickerson had the most,3 seasons%2C with 5%2C147 yards.

He is tied for 2nd with 5.1 ypc over first 3 season.

Nick Chubb has the record 5.2

12th in rush TDs

My bad. Tied for 2nd ain't bad. Better than some HOF guys and to be HOFers

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I recall he has the record for best yards /carried in his first 3 season than any other RB ever. If I recall it is an average of 5 yds per carry but obviously not good enough for you!:facepalm:

16 mil per year is too much after one big season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Sad part is, he wants 20 mill per

I havent seen that......  Do you happen to have a link?

If its true...... and he wont budge, get what you can now from a trade partner

I want JT on this team, but there is a viable reason people arent paying 20M to RBs these days

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Really, the best team for JT would be the panthers. With Reich stuck in the 1980s of football, he’d be the Reich fit and probably get his money he’s asking. The problem is, I don’t think they have the draft capital to do it. 

They might have a player we would be interested in that could help get a deal done.

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I haven't seen that number anywhere.   He knows he is never getting that

Again, it’s been quoted many times. It was posted by his agent on twitter at the start of the drama

24 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I want JT on this team, but there is a viable reason people arent paying 20M to RBs these days

It’s posted earlier in this very thread. His agent tweeted it out.

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I haven't seen that number anywhere.   He knows he is never getting that

I feel like I've seen musings on Twitter that his agent is asking for that amount, but there's nothing official anywhere where that has been directly corroborated by JT or his agent.

Edit: It looks like I may be wrong about there being no corroboration.

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Again, it’s been quoted many times. It was posted by his agent on twitter at the start of the drama

This is the only place I kind find mentioning 20 million..  far from credible 

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Where did you find it?  I can't find any number specifically.    Just speculation 

@csmopar mentioned it being posted previously in the thread. The tweet you posted may be the one he's referencing, but agreed that the credibility of that information is iffy.

As far as I know, there's never been a confirmed number. Probably because the Colts aren't even open to discussing it. I think JTs problem is more with the communication aspect and the fact that they aren't even open to discussion at this point than the numbers personally. 

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

To be fair he had two big seasons back to back ('20 and '21) before last year's injury stuff. Prior to that he was never hurt and was a reliable workhorse. 

That is gone out the window now.   

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I don’t believe the agent posted the number.   Agents rarely do that.   I think everyone else in the media posted the rumor attributed to the agent. 

FWIW:  the number makes no sense at all.  Not even a little.   It would be helpful if the agent or Taylor himself denied the number. 

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t believe the agent posted the number.   Agents rarely do that.   I think everyone else in the media posted the rumor attributed to the agent. 

FWIW:  the number makes no sense at all.  Not even a little.   It would be helpful if the agent or Taylor himself denied the number. 

His agent never posted a number.