Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson is ranked 32nd in competion rate

indyagent17

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Accuracy was a known issue.  All QBs have drops that weigh down their percentages.  Sure, some more than others.

I think he needs to be mid-league in accuracy to be considered a playoff quality QB.

The only way he could  have an accuracy rate around 55% and still be successful would be that he runs for 100 yards a game. If those are the stats needed, then I doubt he lasts long in the league.

• Like 1

Just saw one on Facebook saying he also has the highest percentage of passes dropped by recievers at 15.4%. Per PFF.

Not to go off topic, but the same post had Smith as the 3rd highest rated tackle in week 4. I'm pretty sure after the game there was immediate flak heading Smiths way about needing to be replaced. That seems to be a weekly thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just looked it up and I can't believe Burrow almost has the same completion rate and AR has a better one than Love. 

I do think that when you look at Richardson's poor throws, they are not wow moments. What I mean by that is that he is not lofting them into the stands and/or you are not saying "where the hell was that going"? I believe he will get better as time goes on. Anything over 60% is a blessing. Watching the defense in the redzone against Richardson and one thing that is  obvious is this. If he is able to increase his accuracy and decision making, which in watching him I am confident he  will, he is going to be a nightmare. It seems like the Rams had no answer because of his ability to run and his sheer size, as he gained confidence.  Anything from within the 10 yard line could be an automatic touchdown.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The only way he could  have an accuracy rate around 55% and still be successful would be that he runs for 100 yards a game. If those are the stats needed, then I doubt he lasts long in the league.

Which is why "athleticism" in a QB only really matters when its used as escapability.  If a QB who can throw like Stroud can also extend the play 75% of the time when needed, that passing yardage will advance the offense twice as effectively as the runner who can extend plays 90% when needed.  And stay healthier...most likely.

My numbers being a guess of course.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That is false luck had one of 54 and won 11 games

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I do think that when you look at Richardson's poor throws, they are not wow moments. What I mean by that is that he is not lofting them into the stands and/or you are not saying "where the hell was that going"? I believe he will get better as time goes on. Anything over 60% is a blessing. Watching the defense in the redzone against Richardson and one thing that is  obvious is this. If he is able to increase his accuracy and decision making, which in watching him I am confident he  will, he is going to be a nightmare. It seems like the Rams had no answer because of his ability to run and his sheer size, as he gained confidence.  Anything from within the 10 yard line could be an automatic touchdown.

One thing he is good at doing is at least throwing it away when nothing is there instead of throwing a terrible INT. He only has 1 pick all year. I would rather him throw off target or throw it away (overthrowing) than an INT trying to force something. 

• Like 4

Just now, DougDew said:

Which is why "athleticism" in a QB only really matters when its used as escapability.  If a QB who can throw like Stroud also extend the play 75% of the time when needed, that passing yardage will advance the offense twice as effectively as the runner who can extend plays 90% when needed.  And stay healthier...most likely.

My numbers being a guess of course.  

To me,  guys who have Richardson's athleticism  are a nightmare  when  in  short yardage situations. If he is able to become a good passer, teams have no  way of knowing what the Colts will call. You have him in 3rd and  4 yards to go and what do you do if you have say Taylor back there? Well you think it is a run because most of the time, the Colts run when Taylor is in the back field. You bite on the run and Richardson does a short dump off . You lay off thinking pass and Richardson runs for 4. Thats actually why I think the Colts want a back who can do everything . A guy like Moss back there doesn't really tip there hand.  Taylor needs to show he can do it all to get a  2nd contract. Oh,  and I wonder where everyone went when I said that McCaffrey is by far better all around back  than Taylor back?  He is a weapon where Taylor is a runner. I will over pay for a weapon but not a north/south runner in todays football.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One thing he is good at doing is at least throwing it away when nothing is there instead of throwing a terrible INT. He only has 1 pick all year. I would rather him throw off target or throw it away (overthrowing) than an INT trying to force something. 

He is actually way farther ahead than I thought he would be after 4 games

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That's a anomaly and there were other factors then just Luck throwing 54%. Stats dont always tell the story. I bet if Richardson throws %55, they don't win 11 games

Depends if he scores a high level of tds with the passes he does complete  it will negate the inaccuracies 

• Like 1

“Football is a game of inches” cliche hits home when you watch AR right now. He’s just a bit off on some throws but it makes them uncatchable or puts his WR in tough spots — the high ball off of Pitt’s fingertips, and the screen to McKenzie (I think) on the second play of the game was so far off he had nothing even if he caught it. An NFL QB has to hit those throws, no matter how well he runs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

“Football is a game of inches” cliche hits home when you watch AR right now. He’s just a bit off on some throws but it makes them uncatchable or puts his WR in tough spots — the high ball off of Pitt’s fingertips, and the screen to McKenzie (I think) on the second play of the game was so far off he had nothing even if he caught it. An NFL QB has to hit those throws, no matter how well he runs. 

Yes it is 3rd down throws when or if a qb shows that he belongs in the league. It keeps the chains moving and a qb cannot always rely on the big play.  Off topic, but hasn't Pierce been a disappointment? Listening to a  pod cast and Venturi is saying the Wrs are getting no separation. I kind of trust him as he is looking at the film. Next year is the year where I actually think Ballard may go Wrs with his 1st 2 picks. I know there are other holes to fill, but it is about developing Richardson and giving him the tools so he doesn't regress;  Dungy always said that. You need to surround the qb with talent or they will fail and that is a D coach talking lol. I doubt they resign Pittman at a staggering price. I know the Wr market is steep but I am not sure Pittman is going to get a lof of attention. He may end up with say 140 catches but he is quite low in terms of yards per catch. To me, he is a possession receiver and a good one but teams tend to over pay for burners . Just a thought

He needs to work on his accuracy - no doubt. Touch and velocity is a thing. But across the 2.5 games he's played I bet I can find 6-10 passes other teams rely on their WRs to make. That would put him in the 65-68% completion range. Our WRs need to help him out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Four games into a career, and you’re already poised to pass judgement on the kid.     

And for Richardson, he’s only actually played about two and a half of those games.    That’s it.  

Why you feel the need to make all these snap judgements is a mystery to me.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Four games into a career, and you’re already poised to pass judgement on the kid.     

And for Richardson, he’s only actually played about two and a half of those games.    That’s it.  

Why you feel the need to make all these snap judgements is a mystery to me.  

Huh . If you look at my posts about Richardson, I am all in and he is a lot farther ahead than I thought he would be at this point. I have said numerous times on other threads that the Colts appear to have found their guy so  I am not sure what you are talking about. My point is that if he has a low passing percentage and the teams is relying on him alot to run alot, it  will most likely be a short career as he may get injured. That was my point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sheeze

Folks we have a generational talent playing QB

Needs work......  but we all knew that when we drafted him...... right??

His ranking of 84.4 after 4 games is better than

Jimmy Garappolo

Mac Jones

Derek Carr

Matthew Stafford

Kenny Pickett

Ryan Tannehill

Bryce Young 

Desmond Ritter

Zach Wilson

Joe Burrow

Daniel Jones

Sam Howell

We havent seen anything yet....... 

By  next year, when we have added a stud WR and sign our pro bowl RB, we will be making some DCs sweat 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Which FA wideouts will be available next season? 

Tee Higgins maybe worth it for this team to pay out. I am always skeptical of  number 2 who plays behind a true number 1 such as Chase. How much of their success is because the number one corner is always playing Chase? That being said, Higgins  flourished when Chase was hurt. It may finally be time for Ballard to pull out the check book. This team has not drafted any wrs in Ballard's era worth talking about. Its time to go big game hunting.  If you cannot draft and/or develop them, then you guy buy yourself one.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

He needs to work on his accuracy - no doubt. Touch and velocity is a thing. But across the 2.5 games he's played I bet I can find 6-10 passes other teams rely on their WRs to make. That would put him in the 65-68% completion range. Our WRs need to help him out.

If Granson would’ve caught that 3rd down pass at the end of regulation man.

• Like 2

Just now, JediXMan said:

If Granson would’ve caught that 3rd down pass at the end of regulation man.

Like Bill Polian said after that Kenton Keith catch that bounced off his hands for an INT, close to the goal line in the 2007 season Chargers playoff game divisional round loss, "if it hits your hand, you should catch it". 

A lot of it is these pass catchers getting used to the speed and trajectory of AR's throws that is a constant work in progress too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Tee Higgins maybe worth it for this team to pay out. I am always skeptical of  number 2 who plays behind a true number 1 such as Chase. How much of their success is because the number one corner is always playing Chase? That being said, Higgins  flourished when Chase was hurt. It may finally be time for Ballard to pull out the check book. This team has not drafted any wrs in Ballard's era worth talking about. Its time to go big game hunting.  If you cannot draft and/or develop them, then you guy buy yourself one.

Higgins and Pittman are twins. You extend Pittman and see if there is a WR in the draft worthy of that first.pick. After seeing that deep pass to Downs Sunday I think he is going to turn into our TY Hilton. We are not going to pay a WR FA. We will extend Pittman. Then look in the draft. We will then have Pittman, pierce, downs, draft pick for at least two years. That’s when a decision on pierce has to be made. That would be a pretty darn good WR group.

• Like 1

With a small sample space, a few tough catches made by WRs changes the whole complexion of games and completion percentages too. Let us not forget that AR has managed to avoid major fumbles and INTs and back breaking turnovers that typically accompany rookies. A throw away is better than a forced throw with a high difficulty for completion, thus context is important for completion percentage. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Huh . If you look at my posts about Richardson, I am all in and he is a lot farther ahead than I thought he would be at this point. I have said numerous times on other threads that the Colts appear to have found their guy so  I am not sure what you are talking about. My point is that if he has a low passing percentage and the teams is relying on him alot to run alot, it  will most likely be a short career as he may get injured. That was my point

Yeah, I don't get it either.   You weren't passing judgement after 4 games.  You were talking about conditions in the future.

You've been right about stuff for three years, the three years you've been constantly singled out as having the wrong take.  Its like criticizing the Moose is just a habit that can't be broken. 

I guess making up stuff you didn't even say is easier than breaking the habit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Higgins and Pittman are twins. You extend Pittman and see if there is a WR in the draft worthy of that first.pick. After seeing that deep pass to Downs Sunday I think he is going to turn into our TY Hilton. We are not going to pay a WR FA. We will extend Pittman. Then look in the draft. We will then have Pittman, pierce, downs, draft pick for at least two years. That’s when a decision on pierce has to be made. That would be a pretty darn good WR group.

Higgins has proven he is a number 1 and is more athletic. If I had the money to sign both. I am going Higgins all day every day

Just now, DougDew said:

Yeah, I don't get it either.   You weren't passing judgement after 4 games.  You were talking about conditions in the future.

You've been right about stuff for three years, the three years you've been constantly singled out as having the wrong take.  Its like criticizing the Moose is just a habit that can't be broken. 

I guess making up stuff you didn't even say is easier than breaking the habit.

As Taylor Swift says. Haters going to hate lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Which FA wideouts will be available next season? 

I think this is key, 

Joe Burrow got Chase and it increased his completion by 5% the following year 

Josh Allen got Diggs and that year his completion increased by 10.4%

Just by giving him a player that can consistently get open and make plays will help his development and help other WRs get open.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

There are also nuances with this.  Some receivers have a larger catch radii and are elite.  The elite ones will catch those balls, while the others just get their hands on it.  The elite receivers help QBs have better completion percentages.

I've been asking for better receivers for about 7 years now, but I also don't think a QB should need to have receivers with a great catch radius to get a decent completion percentage.  

The Pierce and Granson drops last game would be drops to any NFL receiver other than elite catchers, IMO.

• Thanks 1