Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which NFL Coach is on the "HOTTEST HOT SEAT"?

sb41champs

McDaniels and Payton are too new in their roles to be in hot water just yet. It would take something off-the-field, IMO, for either of those guys to not get at least two seasons. 

Eberflus should be a little nervous. The Bears look like the worst team in the NFL right now. 

Staley like everyone said. Still time to right that ship though. 

I would add Daboll... if things don't start picking up for the NYG. They look like they've regressed, which is never good for a coaching staff. 

• Like 1

Last year we had two rare in-season head coaching firings in Reich and Hackett. 

While seats are already getting warm, unless there is some scandalous stuff out there I actually think the opposite of the Rich Eisen Show: not a single head coach will be fired in-season. 

I think owners are going to ride out the wave of misery and hope it lands on the shores of Caleb Williams. 

Tell you what... if the Patriots put up a couple of more stinkfests like yesterday, Belichick may find himself in uncharted perilous territory. His past accomplishments aside, fact is they're now 26-29, including one playoff loss, since Brady left for Tampa. Poor drafting has hurt them, yes, but every week they seem unprepared and outmatched in every way on the field. This goes beyond poor personnel management. There are grumblings around here that the game has passed him by and that he's not able to adjust his thinking to the "new" NFL. 

When Brady first left I had it at about 60/40 in my mind (Brady/Belichick, in terms of who was most responsible for the team's success). I would say after 3+ seasons that it's more like 90/10. Not saying BB is a bad coach, but there are guys out there now I'd rather have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/29/2023 at 7:07 AM, smittywerb said:

I can’t blame Payton.  That team is trash due to the GM.  That GM needs to go.  What draft picks have panned out?  What key FA signings have they had?

I would give up a lot to have Patrick Surtain. I love that draft pick. Wouldn't you like him on the Colts??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoPats said:

Tell you what... if the Patriots put up a couple of more stinkfests like yesterday, Belichick may find himself in uncharted perilous territory. His past accomplishments aside, fact is they're now 26-29, including one playoff loss, since Brady left for Tampa. Poor drafting has hurt them, yes, but every week they seem unprepared and outmatched in every way on the field. This goes beyond poor personnel management. There are grumblings around here that the game has passed him by and that he's not able to adjust his thinking to the "new" NFL. 

When Brady first left I had it at about 60/40 in my mind (Brady/Belichick, in terms of who was most responsible for the team's success). I would say after 3+ seasons that it's more like 90/10. Not saying BB is a bad coach, but there are guys out there now I'd rather have. 

I think BB is fine, the problem is simple to understand but difficult to solve.

You need a good QB if you want great results, you need a great QB if you want to compete in playoffs.

Until Patriots find the next franchise QB, results won't look good with any coach.

See how Stroud and Richardson have made their teams immediately look good? See how Purdy has made his offense stable which Jimmy G never was able to? You can instantly recognize that these QBs are gonna be in the team for a while, whether they could attain next levels or not.

Meanwhile, looking at Pats with Jones, Pittsburgh with Pickett and Bears with Fields, even after giving multiple years of chances, you know the team has to still look for their franchise QB again. 

Does BB have it to find that QB is what the owner needs to figure it out.. if Patriots draft a good QB (like Cousins, Dak), BB is going to be able to get better results. If Patriots get a great QB, you'd know it without having to debate about it and BB will get back to his best. 

You don't fire your best coach as doing that wouldn't get your franchise QB and you'd lose your coach as well, you either focus on scouting QBs or hire a GM who can find that QB and if BB is bad at that then moving on would be the last resort. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I would give up a lot to have Patrick Surtain. I love that draft pick. Wouldn't you like him on the Colts??

Oh of course, but it depends on what it’s going to cost regarding draft picks.  

I would love a shutdown corner, but we need an alpha WR1 more than a corner.  And the key is we need a WR1 that’s going to grow and develop with AR similar to Burrow/Chase, Hurts/Brown, etc.  we’re going to need our first round pick to grab that WR1 because I don’t think there is going to be one young enough through FA.  

now I’ll tell you, if the Vikings begin a fire sale I’ll give them a lot for JJ.  But if the broncos will take a second and other rounds for surtain I’d take it, big if though lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Oh of course, but it depends on what it’s going to cost regarding draft picks.  

I would love a shutdown corner, but we need an alpha WR1 more than a corner.  And the key is we need a WR1 that’s going to grow and develop with AR similar to Burrow/Chase, Hurts/Brown, etc.  we’re going to need our first round pick to grab that WR1 because I don’t think there is going to be one young enough through FA.  

now I’ll tell you, if the Vikings begin a fire sale I’ll give them a lot for JJ.  But if the broncos will take a second and other rounds for surtain I’d take it, big if though lol

I think there would be a revolution if the front office got rid of JJ. Lol.

Besides Marvin Harrison Jr, is there another WR in college that you like? It seems LSU has a WR factory there. (JJ, Chase, OBJ, Landry...). I see Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr from LSU high on the list.

On 10/2/2023 at 5:58 PM, NFLfan said:

I think there would be a revolution if the front office got rid of JJ. Lol.

Besides Marvin Harrison Jr, is there another WR in college that you like? It seems LSU has a WR factory there. (JJ, Chase, OBJ, Landry...). I see Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr from LSU high on the list.

Brenden Rice of USC, 20 yards per catch, 7 tds already. 6'3 210 and his dad like Harrison Jr's was pretty darn good.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:29 AM, GoPats said:

Their system seemed to always work when Brady/ Belichick, were the constant. They could lose coaches and players yet they seemed to not really miss a beat, mistic, magic, call it what you want to. But no matter how good you are, time catches up with everyone sooner or later.   

• Like 2

On 10/3/2023 at 9:37 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Brenden Rice of USC, 20 yards per catch, 7 tds already. 6'3 210 and his dad like Harrison Jr's was pretty darn good.

Odunze is lighting it up too.

On 10/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, compuls1v3 said:

I think Reich and Belichick are on the hot seat.  Eberflus too.  

I hope Panthers beat Texans the week before they come here, 1-6. :) 

I don’t want their first win to come against us. 

Performance wise:

Sean Payton, Frank Reich, Eberflus, and then Staley and Belichick

Payton hiring Vance Joseph was a terrible hire. But Sean Payton was always like that, cared only about the offensive side, even with Brees and their SB came the 1 year their D was good to make critical plays for them. Brees bailed him out a LOT, IMO. The offense is still playing well enough but the D is atrocious.

Frank Reich - the team can't play balanced ball, just like with Sean Payton. His case is even worse because his offense is performing terribly with him calling plays, so his case is worse than Sean Payton on the offensive side.

Eberflus - he had a 1 game reset, we will see what happens from here onwards, if Fields is given good defensive support with Eberflus being the "defensive" HC he is.

Staley - at least he has them playing competitively in games but he is the definition of mediocre.

Belichick - he is also the definition of mediocre with inferior drafting and not having Tom Brady to bail him leaving the roster exposed.

On 10/5/2023 at 11:10 AM, horseshoecrabs said:

Their system seemed to always work when Brady/ Belichick, were the constant. They could lose coaches and players yet they seemed to not really miss a beat, mistic, magic, call it what you want to. But no matter how good you are, time catches up with everyone sooner or later.   

After two losses by a combined score of 79-3, I'm wondering if we've reached that time, LOL. Seriously, this is as bad as I've seen the Patriots look since the pre-Bledsoe/Parcells era. 

I don't think Kraft would publicly fire him though. I think it would be something like a "mutual understanding and collaborative decision" at the end of the year, and then BB maybe takes a little time away if he plans to coach somewhere else. I'm not sure the post-Brady era could have gone any worse so far if you're BB. 

I think we can add Mike McCarthy to the "hot seat list".

While the Cowboys defense has been outstanding (except for Sunday) - the Cowboys offense is PITIFUL!!!

Repeat after me - PITIFUL!!

McCarthy is still unwilling to hand over the play calling to his Offensive Coordinator.

At this point in time - the offense is OFFENSIVE!!

On 10/2/2023 at 10:29 AM, GoPats said:

I concur. 

The Patriots have been a stink bomb this season.

On ESPN yesterday - they shared a shocking fact about Belichick.

Belichick is 72 - 79 and only made the playoffs twice WITHOUT QB Tom Brady.

HMMMMMMMMM!!

The panel felt strongly that there will be repercussions for BB sooner than later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 4:13 PM, sb41champs said:

I concur. 

The Patriots have been a stink bomb this season.

On ESPN yesterday - they shared a shocking fact about Belichick.

Belichick is 72 - 79 and only made the playoffs twice WITHOUT QB Tom Brady.

HMMMMMMMMM!!

The panel felt strongly that there will be repercussions for BB sooner than later.

UPDATED INFORMATION:

Bill Belichick quietly signed a contract extension over the off-season.

Even his former players weren't aware of this.  Several have suggested that he retire after the current season.

He won his 300th regular season game on Sunday - BUT - they are still 2 - 5 on the season.

Contract extension or not - I don't see Robert Kraft and the Patriots faithful being willing to settle for less than mediocre much longer.

Kraft would much rather "eat the contract" than to field a below-average team.

On 9/28/2023 at 7:57 AM, GoPats said:

McDaniels and Payton are too new in their roles to be in hot water just yet. It would take something off-the-field, IMO, for either of those guys to not get at least two seasons. 

I guess someone else thought differently. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 9:53 AM, gspdx said:

I guess someone else thought differently. 

Yes, they did! It sounds like things were even worse in LV than anyone knew. I really figured McDaniels would get two full seasons though. Missed that one! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoPats said:

Yes, they did! It sounds like things were even worse in LV than anyone knew. I really figured McDaniels would get two full seasons though. Missed that one! 

I still can't believe he essentially did the same thing as his Broncos days. I mean, he inherited a playoff caliber Raiders team and nearly killed it... 

Would you consider him for taking over the Patriots once Bill is gone?