Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Risky move by Coach

indyagent17

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

No one said not that playing Richardson is "going to make or break anything".

My thought exactly. I am surprised by the degree to which it is dismissed. You pose a good question: why have preseason games if it is not a warm-up for the regular season? Why play only players who most likely will not make the team.

I may be in favor of scrapping the postseason and playing an 18-game season. This was discussed on the Vikings site, as the Vikings sat almost all starters, if not all, in this last game.

I'm not sure you have read this thread in its entirety.   

7 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I like some other posters believe he should have played the 2nd game or some of it.

Until I found out the 2nd string Oline was playing.  

Its probably a good decision not to play him in that case.

Lol because our oline can afford to take games off too :lol:

They'll do what they want but ... It's head scratching.. oh well lol

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 9:15 PM, indyagent17 said:

The decision NOT to start Richardson could backfire. So basically a handful of snaps against Buffalo and he is ready for week 1 against a division rival?? We will see but this could lead to a very choppy start for AR. Just my opinion 

How so? I highly doubt 1-2 drives in preseason gonna make a difference in the grand scheme. No player plays all preseason games 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 7:15 PM, indyagent17 said:

The decision NOT to start Richardson could backfire. So basically a handful of snaps against Buffalo and he is ready for week 1 against a division rival?? We will see but this could lead to a very choppy start for AR. Just my opinion 

Talk to any GM and they say that joint practices are for more beneficial. The coach made decision not to start the Oline, so you are not putting your franchise fourth overall pick out there to get killed. Imagine he sits the Oline and puts in the reserves and Richardson gets hurt??

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 3:12 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

All I'll say is, by not playing Richardson, Steichen must think he is ready, so we need to hold him to a high standard. No "this is his first game" if he struggles Vs Jax in Week 1. If you blindly support Steichens decision, then you can't say "it's his first game" if Richardson struggles in the regular season and isn't playing in the preseason.

what an ignorant assumption you've made.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Pretty easy to use hindsight once Richardson is named the starter for the Eagles preseason game. Didn't see this comment after I wrote it. Took another week almost. I wonder why? :thinking:

I did not know that SS had named AR the starter vs. PHI.  My reply was in direct response to the ridiculous over reaction of you and a couple of others and the moronic rebuttals such as "I have just as many regular season wins in the NFL as he does. ", "by not playing Richardson, Steichen must think he is ready, so we need to hold him to a high standard.", "Don’t use the excuse that Richardson is inexperienced during the regular season then" etc.

For the record, I'm not going to say that AR not playing vs. CHI was "no big deal".  HOWEVER, it's also NOT the big problem that a few of you have made it out to be.  

You didn't see this comment after you wrote it because it was only today when I read it for the first time.  And as expected... :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Pretty easy to use hindsight once Richardson is named the starter for the Eagles preseason game. Didn't see this comment after I wrote it. Took another week almost. I wonder why? :thinking:

Huh? 

The Colts played Saturday night.   Steichen makes the announcement on Tuesday.     It took three days.    Why is this a “thing” for you?

Why are you trying to turn nothing into something?     

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It isn't a thing. Jason responded to a post a week later and made it something. I forgot about this post. He's one of those posters who see any anti-authority post (a post against the owner, GM or coach) and try to start something over it (generally when the post ages poorly and he has hindsight afterwards).

you have me mistaken with someone else.  in fact I could probably name a couple of people who are exactly as you described but I am not one of them.  the reason YOU think that is because so many of your posts age so, so poorly.

we've had many back-and-forths due to your inability to control your temper.  whenever the team does something you don't like, you come here and vomit some of the most absurd hyperbole the site has ever seen. 

I have no problem whatsoever with valid, tempered criticism of the team or anyone associated with it.  I may or may not agree.  I was one of the most outspoken last year regarding getting rid of Reich, so that alone disproves your theory. 

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

you have me mistaken with someone else.  in fact I could probably name a couple of people who are exactly as you described but I am not one of them.  the reason YOU think that is because so many of your posts age so, so poorly.

we've had many back-and-forths due to your inability to control your temper.  whenever the team does something you don't like, you come here and vomit some of the most absurd hyperbole the site has ever seen. 

I have no problem whatsoever with valid, tempered criticism of the team or anyone associated with it.  I may or may not agree.  I was one of the most outspoken last year regarding getting rid of Reich, so that alone disproves your theory. 

light saber fighting GIF

1 minute ago, J@son said:

If I'm wrong and you don't do that, I apologize. I feel like I should be able to vent a bit though as long as it's controlled, and I still don't feel like I'm wrong here, especially when not only Stroud and Young played (and Stroud did joint practices), but guys like Mahomes played almost a half, and he's the best QB in the NFL. 

I don't like when someone new in the Colts organization gets the complete benefit of the doubt from the fanbase when he's proven nothing yet. No one learns from the previous coach that mistakes happen (a lot) and they jump on anyone who dares call out said coach for making a mistake and dismisses it quickly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If I'm wrong and you don't do that, I apologize.

Thank you for that.  That is honestly not something I do but I know of several that do and boy would they be bent out of shape if they knew who they were. lol

I feel like I should be able to vent a bit though as long as it's controlled, and I still don't feel like I'm wrong here,

hmm.  So here's the thing, I do actually get the point you're trying to make.  Every little thing, every little bit of practice or game experience adds up and will ultimately contribute to the total player that AR will become. I'm also not going to say that AR not playing against CHI was the right or wrong thing to do.  Honestly, I thought it odd at first but after reading why it made much more sense. 

Towards the beginning of the thread, your venting was pretty controlled, though bringing up Reich/Young and Ryans/Stroud was completely irrelevant.  But each new reply got more and more ridiculous.  There were people who explained why he was kept out but you kept doubling down and digging in.  However as I went back and reread, the ridiculous replies you made were mostly in response to posters who were being mostly or completely dismissive of your concerns.  So, the ridiculousness made a little more sense.  

So, I apologize as well.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, J@son said:

what an ignorant assumption you've made.

Well now, the Only way should have been for AR to take every snap of all the pre-season practices and games if we were really wanting to beat Jax. Don’t care how he feels, what he knows, or how many hours he puts in.  He should be out there, or is it in there? 

"by not playing Richardson, Steichen must think he is ready"

This is absurd.