Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp Day 2 7/28

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bowen had a really good interview with him.  He was not over the loss of his daughter last year.   Weight was down to 285.   He said he realized the world doesn't stop for your own personal issues and that he was one of the first that Steich called.  He said Stiech and Sporano have him fired up this year.

Glad to hear it!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

As in scary? Yeah I’d call it that too and not in a good way

Just now, Fluke_33 said:

Bowen had a really good interview with him.  He was not over the loss of his daughter last year.   Weight was down to 285.   He said he realized the world doesn't stop for your own personal issues and that he was one of the first that Steich called.  He said Stiech and Sporano have him fired up this year.

Glad to hear it!

I can respect that. I can’t imagine the pain. Hoping he returns to form this year. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

Glad to hear it!

Do you have a link to that article 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

As in scary? Yeah I’d call it that too and not in a good way

I can respect that. I can’t imagine the pain. Hoping he returns to form this year. 

I don’t think you can tell much of anything with the Oline and dline  from training camp practice. Until they get to games it’s hard to know how good or bad they will be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Nice to see Juju should be back.

Makes me question the Lammons signing a little more?

Ballard must really see something in him, to bring him in facing a suspension.

It shouldn't.  Lammons has played like 42 total snaps oon defense in his career.  He's here to compete for a ST spot.

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well Darius Leonard was an all pro LBer. Since changing his name to Shaq, he’s played like 4 games and played like crap. Sooooo there’s that

Hey man, IDK if you are a good judge of weight (I'm pretty good at it coaching wrestling for a couple decades).  Does Shaq look bigger than the 218 he was playing at?

I don't think that would fly very long as an MLB in Bradley's system, absorbing more direct contact from nasty ADZ guards and full speed RBs. 

It would be pretty surprising if they didn't put some weight on him. 

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Ehh.  I remember, long ago, when Hank Aaron signed a $250k contract and folks thought “man - that’s a lot of money to play a game.”

That's not apples to apples and you know it....

He signed that 2 year deal in 1970.  So, while people went gee that sure is a lot of money to play a game!  Other things also cost.....  $23,000 - new home.  $3,450 - new car, $.36 gallon of gas.... $9,400 avg. Salary....  

Not much difference in their reaction to 250k and our collective reaction to 5mil....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Ok, I counted the base and signing bonus together for this year.

I think you expressed it correctly.  The fact that some of it was PRE-paid as a signing bonus does not alter the expressed pay for the 4th year.  The PRE payment always seems to create a problem with too many players, for they too often conveniently forget that a portion of year X salary was prepaid to them, then they (or their agent) whine about their lack of pay down the road.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Glad to hear it!

I sent Bowen an email after that interview telling him how much I appreciated it.  It was touching, honest, and gave a great insight to him as a football player and a person.  Bowen is really good about writing back.

I also told him to help Ballard by explaining that he’s using the word ‘convicted’ (as in - when you’re convicted on a player) wrong.   He really means he has conviction.  

Kevin said he’d let me offer that to Ballard, lol!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Hey man, IDK if you are a good judge of weight (I'm pretty good at it coaching wrestling for a couple decades).  Does Shaq look bigger than the 218 he was playing at?

I don't think that would fly very long as an MLB in Bradley's system, absorbing more direct contact from nasty ADZ guards and full speed RBs. 

It would be pretty surprising if they didn't put some weight on him. 

He does looked bulked up. I'm thinking shy of 230.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I also told him to help Ballard by explaining that he’s using the word ‘convicted’ (as in - when you’re convicted on a player) wrong.   He really means he has conviction.

I appreciate that.  The misuse is cringe worthy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I’ll say this much, having seen every QB we’ve had since Manning in person, AR can toss it deeper than any of them, including Luck who could drop it in right windows. And AR can do it with surprising accuracy deep. 

Yeah his deep accuracy was a strength in college. Dude can spin it, no doubt.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I sent Bowen an email after that interview telling him how much I appreciated it.  It was touching, honest, and gave a great insight to him as a football player and a person.  Bowen is really good about writing back.

Kevin said he’d let me offer that to Ballard, lol!

Yes. Convinced and Convicted.  Vastly different things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

They’re in the midst of 11/11 drill now. I am gonna say this, I am worried more about our CBs than I was and way more concerned than I am about the QB spot. Not sure if it’s the fact our WRs have gotten better or if our CBs suck, but they’re not doing so hot. Lots of wide open receivers 

Brents hasn't practiced yet. Let's wait and see how he does before we start panicking 

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

That's not apples to apples and you know it....

He signed that 2 year deal in 1970.  So, while people went gee that sure is a lot of money to play a game!  Other things also cost.....  $23,000 - new home.  $3,450 - new car, $.36 gallon of gas.... $9,400 avg. Salary....  

Not much difference in their reaction to 250k and our collective reaction to 5mil....

Hank Aaron's 240K salary in 1976 would  only represent about 1.3 million today.  In 1970 Aaron was paid 120K. In 1976 gas was about 60 cents , the average car was $5500 and the average home was 46K. 

Bottom line is in 1976 , athletes were paid a fraction of what they are paid today. Aaron would be earning around 30 mill per year in today's market. 

Here's the number I found on his 1976 salary adjusted to inflation in 2023...

In 1976, core inflation was 6.57%. When using the core inflation measurement, $240,000 in 1976 is equivalent in buying power to $1,278,307.10 in 2023, a difference of $1,038,307.10.